Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSHYLOCK and DAVID TORN at PROGDAY 2017!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: SHYLOCK and DAVID TORN at PROGDAY 2017!
    Posted: June 03 2017 at 16:41
SHYLOCK and DAVID TORN at PROGDAY 2017!

---------------------

SHYLOCK (France)

“...When I thought I had seen everything with Museo Rosenbach, PFM or Osanna, Shylock appeared and finished as my favorite act of the festival....extraordinary musicians, who besides showing their skills, left their soul on stage. Simply wonderful!"

- Guillermo Urdapilleta, The Rocktologist, Baha Prog 2014

SHYLOCK is a French progressive rock band that formed in the 1970’s. The music became known for its instrumental richness and complexity, dark ambience, electric tension, and refined romanticism. Gialorgues and Ile de Fièvre became regarded as classic albums of the late-70s French progressive scene.

Most often compared to King Crimson, Pulsar and Arachnoid, SHYLOCK’s influence can be felt in bands like Änglagård, Xaal, Tiemko, and Minimum Vital.

Thirty-three years after disbanding, the group reformed in 2012 to perform the music worldwide again for people who had never seen them on stage. ProgDay is honored to host SHYLOCK for its first US appearance.

---------------------

DAVID TORN (Special Guest with Sonar)

David Torn is a composer, texturalist, guitarist, producer & whatnot of actual international stature, renowned for his unique musical voice which seems to span & un-define a range of idioms and styles. His work has had material impact & influence upon both film scoring and, generally, upon contemporary electric, electro-acoustic & electronic music.

You will also find David’s creative contributions on the works of other musical artists-of-note as diverse as David Bowie, Tim Berne, Jeff Beck, Mick Karn, David Sylvian, John Legend, Tori Amos, Meshell Ndegeocello, John Popper, Jan Garbarek, Jarboe, Laurie Anderson, Chocolate Genius, Don Cherry, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Tony Levin, Andy Rinehart, David Douglas, Manu Katché, etc.

SONAR's upcoming release, Vortex, was produced by David Torn. He also performs on the album. ...So it just seemed natural to have David sit-in with the band at their ProgDay performance.

Thank you to David for his interest in the idea, and working with us to make it happen. ProgDay is very excited to announce an exclusive performance of Sonar with special guest David Torn at Storybook Farm.

---------------------

Join SHYLOCK (France), FLOR DE LOTO (Peru), SONAR (Switzerland) with special guest DAVID TORN, and iNFiNiEN (US) for the twenty-third edition of ProgDay.  ProgDay 2017 will take place on Saturday and Sunday, September 2nd and 3rd, at Storybook Farm in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.  For more information, please visit us at www.progday.net.  

To hear music from all this year’s bands, please visit the ProgDay Music page (http://www.progday.net/ProgDay-Music.html).

Four more bands to be announced.

Thanks!

Michael

---------------

www.progday.net
www.michaelbennett.com

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 16:55
Wonderful news particularly Torn, looking forward to it.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 18:09
Wow. Shylock is a fantastic signing.

Makes me wish I could go!
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply