Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBose Wave SoundTouch. Good for prog?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bose Wave SoundTouch. Good for prog?
    Posted: June 05 2017 at 23:01
This is kind of a follow up question of something I asked earlier. I've decided I am going to get book-shelf speaker system rather than a big sound system. I've been looking at the Bose Wave SoundTouch Music System IV and I'm wondering if it will sound good playing prog music? Does anyone have one? I am worried it is just over priced ($540) and doesn't have the sound to back up the price tag. I want to make sure it is something that will have good enough sound quality to hear all the intricacies of prog. 

Edited by skog_prog - June 05 2017 at 23:03
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 08:57
I don't know of any system that is made to play a genre better than something else Confused. Back in the day people would rave about big speakers by Pioneer, Altec Lansing, Jensen because they used large 12"-15" woofers that moved a lot of air and created that big bass sound, great for Led Zeppelin and The Who records for sure!

And yes Bose is over priced, prolly by 50%. If you want to hear all the intricacies of music you need a system that will extract those sounds, all those details that ur phone or a Bose radio cannot begin to reproduce. 

And yes in some ways it is very much about how much money you want to spend.....I think you need to go to a hi-fi shop and audition some different priced systems. I promise you, you will be surprised at what you hear...
skog_prog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 10:46
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I don't know of any system that is made to play a genre better than something else Confused. Back in the day people would rave about big speakers by Pioneer, Altec Lansing, Jensen because they used large 12"-15" woofers that moved a lot of air and created that big bass sound, great for Led Zeppelin and The Who records for sure!

And yes Bose is over priced, prolly by 50%. If you want to hear all the intricacies of music you need a system that will extract those sounds, all those details that ur phone or a Bose radio cannot begin to reproduce. 

And yes in some ways it is very much about how much money you want to spend.....I think you need to go to a hi-fi shop and audition some different priced systems. I promise you, you will be surprised at what you hear...

Thanks for the advice. I kind of figured that. I have a really nice home sound system now that is perfect but I'm looking for something small to take to my apartment at college that has at least decent sound quality rather than the cheap portable junk I have now.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 11:08
Well that $540 Bose radio will probably walk out of your college apartment. My son is leaving in Aug for university dorm life......he will NOT be taking any audio gear with him.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 11:42
Another solution is to buy a decent wireless speaker system.  You can either player music off your computer or mp3 player....  However, the days are gone now where you can get a good storage mp3 player today.  iPod's seem to be obsolete over the 100GB area.

Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 06:17
Another consideration is that if you're playing very old stuff, it's probably been very badly recorded in the first place. So you're hearing intricacies which aren't there. ;-)

Post Reply Post Reply