FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMasterpieces Never Played in Concert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Masterpieces Never Played in Concert
    Posted: June 17 2017 at 08:53
I've seen Jethro Tull in concert many times.  I yearned for Ian to perform "Baker Street Muse".  As far as I know, Jethro Tull never played "Baker Street Muse" live.

I know the Minstrel in the Gallery chapter of Tull was painful for Ian because of his divorce.   Ian has said multiple times,  he didn't like Minstrel in the Gallery.  "Minstrel in the Gallery" may not be my favorite Tull album but I feel it's Tull at their most heart breaking beautiful. 

"March of the Black Queen" always get my blood pumping.  I saw Queen 4 times in the 70's but only 1 time was I serenaded by a short section of "March of the Black Queen" on one of Queen's signature medleys.  I'm pretty sure Queen never performed "March of the Black Queen" in it's entirety. 

There must be other epics and masterpieces that never saw the foot lights of the stage.   Please share songs you wish were played live.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - June 17 2017 at 14:47
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2017 at 11:23
"I yearned for Ian to perform "Baker Street Muse".  As far as I know, Jethro Tull never played "Baker Street Muse" live."

it's one  of my favorite Jethro tracks. Being quite long doesn't make it concert-friendly.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2017 at 13:11
If I recall correctly, Pink Floyd never played Summer '68 live. I'd be curious to know about Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast or most of the Ummagumma studio material as well. 
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2017 at 13:26
You can research songs played in concert at ( http://www.setlist.fm/)    Although not perfect, the site is very good for research and checking out band setlists you wish to see.

I don't think Floyd ever played "Summer 68" live.  However Pink Floyd did perform Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast in 1970. 

Alive pseudo one 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - June 17 2017 at 13:36
Malkovith1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2017 at 15:56
I think Anathema played this only once and very recently on their special show revisiting their doom era.

Edited by Malkovith1 - June 17 2017 at 15:56
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2017 at 17:27
I've seen Jethro Tull quite a few times and it was always good to see them having a balance between the older stuff and the newer stuff even on the A tour. There's a lot of music  I would have like to experienced live. Like the original Mahavishnu Orchestra. Waited a long time to hear the Ttracks on the live Between Nothingness and Eternity done in the studio on The Lost Trident Sessions! Fortunately some bands did full albums live and that was cool. It was great seeing the Musical Box doing full early Genesis albums on a number of occasions. I saw them do a mixture once which was OK. Didn't really like the post-Hackett garbage. What I need is a time machine. Go see some Gentle Giant shows. 
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2017 at 17:37
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

If I recall correctly, Pink Floyd never played Summer '68 live. I'd be curious to know about Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast or most of the Ummagumma studio material as well. 

A lot of that material was re-worked into The Man & The Journey. This was recently released on that massive boxset. I was really looking forward to hearing The Narrow Way (part 3) live. But let me warn you: It's bloody awful! Gilmour didn't even try to hit the notes; i never heard him sounding so off-key. I'm quite frankly surprised they let it see the light of day; if it'd had been me, I'd have burned every copy. Or at least, overdubbed it in the studio. Yes, it really is that bad LOL
Luqueasaur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2017 at 19:34
March of the Black Queen was fairly too complicated and complex to be played live. Queen was no prog band with no prog pretensions so they wouldn't care about the fancy explosiveness necessary to be able to play it live, so it would be better to just pretend it didn't exist.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2017 at 22:03
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

A lot of that material was re-worked into The Man & The Journey. This was recently released on that massive boxset. I was really looking forward to hearing The Narrow Way (part 3) live. But let me warn you: It's bloody awful! Gilmour didn't even try to hit the notes; i never heard him sounding so off-key. I'm quite frankly surprised they let it see the light of day; if it'd had been me, I'd have burned every copy. Or at least, overdubbed it in the studio. Yes, it really is that bad LOL

I have not been able to hear that version of The Narrow Way yet, and even though I have been wanting a live version of that song, so that I could hear it performed by the whole band instead of Gilmour playing all instruments, the fact that it was about a minute shorter than the studio version made me nervous and wasn't really expecting it to be better than the original. Now it seems you have confirmed my fear.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2017 at 05:09
The Man and The Journey was written first and various bits appropriated and appeared on Ummagumma and More and Relics. Of course the constant re writing of Saucer also held the whole work back. Re writing Stethoscope was also a little unwise. A bit of new material to replace the re writes and that may have been the missing album. Of course it may still be that, or just nearly.

Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2017 at 15:18
Deep Purple's April was never performed live, but there exists a 1969 video of the band miming the performance, complete with orchestral accompaniment. The singer in the video is Ian Gillian, even though it ws Rod Evans who sang vocals on the song.

Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2017 at 15:45
Originally posted by Malkovith1 Malkovith1 wrote:

I think Anathema played this only once and very recently on their special show revisiting their doom era.
When did they play it?
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2017 at 17:11
Originally posted by Luqueasaur Luqueasaur wrote:

March of the Black Queen was fairly too complicated and complex to be played live. Queen was no prog band with no prog pretensions so they wouldn't care about the fancy explosiveness necessary to be able to play it live, so it would be better to just pretend it didn't exist.
Well said.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2017 at 07:11
I din't think Genesis ever played Mad Man Moon. Is that considered a masterpiece. I think it's pretty damn good.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2017 at 07:53
Wishbone Ash's first album has two long, proggy tracks on side 2. Phoenix has been played to death over the last nearly 50 years, but Handy (which I actually prefer) hasn't been played live by any version of the band since about 1971. I keep dropping hints to Martin Turner to try and get it played, but to no avail.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2017 at 08:48
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I din't think Genesis ever played Mad Man Moon. Is that considered a masterpiece. I think it's pretty damn good.

I think its a masterpiece too---They may have tried it once and it was difficult to play---the middle part. But not sure. I like That, that is and don't think Yes played it.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2017 at 11:28
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

It's a masterpiece to me - my favorite from the post-Gabriel era.
chunky1 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2017 at 05:40
I have been on Guns N Roses couple of days ago in London surprised how good is Axl Rose voice after so many years of break.
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2017 at 07:23

To Tame a land and Alexander the great by Iron maiden. The first one is not played on copyright grounds, the latter because long and with political connotations. 

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2017 at 16:26

Alan's and other special effects moments used by Pink Floyd, were all a part of the whole concert experience in their "quadraphonic" days, when they had little stories in special effects going 360 around your head, and eventually many of them led to the next song. There is a "real" Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast in the movie "PF Live in Pompeii" with its outtakes.

The full and complete implementation of all these effects came about in "The Wall" when they were no longer pieces in between the songs, but actually a strong part of the story. By comparison, DSOTM was not exactly together, but its order was quite enjoyable, and strong. But only side one has the effects come up to something, that even today, many think is a waste, but it became an important idea to the concept. However weird and difficult it might be to translate that.

Any more chips and beans?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>