Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIf I love Camel ...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2017 at 17:47
Many many prog groups are clearly influenced by Camel

This group has been called the German Camel

This group is named after Camel's second album, and I think this track is a dedication to Camel

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2017 at 20:23
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

The obvious ones, that you are likely to know already, would be Pink Floyd and Genesis. A little less known, Renaissance, Harmonium, Anthony Phillips' "The Geese and the Ghost" (the only one I know from him, but there may be other fitting albums from him as well). And about newer bands, Big Big Train (specially the English Electric ones, I guess). And I know just about nothing from Canterbury, but I guess if someone could point you in the right direction that one could be right for you too.

Does this effectively mean that you've been here on PA for so many years without ever listening to 9 Feet Underground?
I know your tastes lie with the more melodic natured acts and that most other Canterbury bands tend to lose their marbles for a bit with added jazz and avant touches, but Caravan is about as friendly and melodic as prog rock gets. Just a recommendation on my behalf

Oh there are so many things and bands I still have to check out... discovering prog seems to be the show that never ends. I still have to get some more albums from Jethro Tull, Renaissance, Camel themselves, Genesis, Mike Oldfield, King Crimson, Banco, etc (I mean, I do have enough from them to say I know them very well, but there are still important albums I haven't got). And then, I need to get to know SBB and Ange too. There's still some more RPI and Neo I could get to know. And I should get a bit into some other genres, like folk (starting with Strawbs), Psychedelic (starting with Hawkwind), Kraut (starting with... well, something), and yeah, Canterbury too (starting with Caravan, I guess). And yeah, for me melody should be what makes me love a song the most, but I do love some jazzy and crazy stuff in the mix... just as long as they don't go overboard. YS's Introduzione/Primo Incontro are just sublime.
writer00 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 19:54
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

This group is named after Camel's second album, and I think this track is a dedication to Camel

Thank you! I'll listen now.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2017 at 23:27
Michael Akerfeldt loves Camel, in particular, Andy Latimer. Then, you should love OPETH (then again, he says he loves ABBA !). I dunno, Extreme Metallists ha ha.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 04:26

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The obvious ones, that you are likely to know already, would be Pink Floyd and Genesis. A little less known, Renaissance, Harmonium, Anthony Phillips' "The Geese and the Ghost" (the only one I know from him, but there may be other fitting albums from him as well). And about newer bands, Big Big Train (specially the English Electric ones, I guess). And I know just about nothing from Canterbury, but I guess if someone could point you in the right direction that one could be right for you too.

Does this effectively mean that you've been here on PA for so many years without ever listening to 9 Feet Underground?
I know your tastes lie with the more melodic natured acts and that most other Canterbury bands tend to lose their marbles for a bit with added jazz and avant touches, but Caravan is about as friendly and melodic as prog rock gets. Just a recommendation on my behalf

Oh there are so many things and bands I still have to check out... discovering prog seems to be the show that never ends. I still have to get some more albums from Jethro Tull, Renaissance, Camel themselves, Genesis, Mike Oldfield, King Crimson, Banco, etc (I mean, I do have enough from them to say I know them very well, but there are still important albums I haven't got). And then, I need to get to know SBB and Ange too. There's still some more RPI and Neo I could get to know. And I should get a bit into some other genres, like folk (starting with Strawbs), Psychedelic (starting with Hawkwind), Kraut (starting with... well, something), and yeah, Canterbury too (starting with Caravan, I guess). And yeah, for me melody should be what makes me love a song the most, but I do love some jazzy and crazy stuff in the mix... just as long as they don't go overboard. YS's Introduzione/Primo Incontro are just sublime.

Oh you are preaching to the choir - this journey seems neverending and I rather dig that about music in general. I've just seen you talk a lot about the classic bands, as well as the classic epics, and was rather surprised to learn that you have still to check out Caravan. In my book, as well as most other classic prog fans, 9 Feet Underground is up there with Tarkus, Close To The Edge, Supper's Ready, Starless and Echoes. I just find it a little strange that you haven't yet heard it as it often is included in polls with jootoob vid and all. Anyway be sure to check out the tune - and if you've got the time the whole album where it's featured: In The Land Of Grey & Pink

As for the thread? Try out the German band Amenophis' selftitled debut from 1983. Should please any fan of the hump methinks.

Oh what the hell - here is 9 Feet Underground in all of it's glory:

Edited by Guldbamsen - June 23 2017 at 05:16
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Thandrus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 04:51
If you love Camel, I think you might like this delicate and very beautifully melodic band from Bahrain.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 22:02
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Michael Akerfeldt loves Camel, in particular, Andy Latimer. Then, you should love OPETH (then again, he says he loves ABBA !). I dunno, Extreme Metallists ha ha.

Actually, yes, some songs from Opeth may work. Perhaps even the whole Damnation (even if I didn't really like that album so much). Or Pale Communion. But mostly I would think some songs such as Face of Melinda or Harvest. Or Coil.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 02:25
I've loved Camel since the tail-end of the 90's (I loved select Metal, but not Extreme..). Now, I have come around to Extreme Metal (though I do find the 'growling' vocals a bit naive, but how else could you sing to this extraordinary music??) .   
My favourite song by Camel is Supertwister. I love all the albums from the anazing debut to Single Factor. I've heard Rajaz and it's pretty decent for sure.
Dunno where I'm going with this rant, but, if you can tolerate double-bass drum 'blast beats' and growling, you should find much excitement with OPETH's Morningrise album. There is that 'something special' about it.
Zem View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 02:37
I've always thought Nektar had a similar sound from around the same time. If you like one, you'll probably like the other:

Edited by Zem - June 25 2017 at 21:14
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 14:59
Originally posted by Thandrus Thandrus wrote:

If you love Camel, I think you might like this delicate and very beautifully melodic band from Bahrain.

very astute
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 15:03
Asia Minor has been mentioned, so I thought I'd post a couple by this wonderful band that many Camel lovers might enjoy

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 15:27
Certainly Asia Minor and Anyones Daughter, as already mentioned (particularly 'Piktor's Verwandlungen', their mostly instrumental concept lp based on the Herman Hesse story; sort of their 'Snow Goose').
Also Hoelderlin, the German symphonic band- the live double 'Traumstadt' is excellent as is their S/T 1st lp and 'Clowns and Clouds'

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 18:45
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Welcome to PA! I agree with every band mentioned and would add this:

Underrated, that!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 19:38
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I've loved Camel since the tail-end of the 90's (I loved select Metal, but not Extreme..). Now, I have come around to Extreme Metal (though I do find the 'growling' vocals a bit naive, but how else could you sing to this extraordinary music??) .   
My favourite song by Camel is Supertwister. I love all the albums from the anazing debut to Single Factor. I've heard Rajaz and it's pretty decent for sure.
Dunno where I'm going with this rant, but, if you can tolerate double-bass drum 'blast beats' and growling, you should find much excitement with OPETH's Morningrise album. There is that 'something special' about it.

I do dislike Growiling, but have somewhat come around it a bit. There are some songs that are so great that I have come to accept that they include growling in order to enjoy the whole song. One of the very first that led me to accept them is "The Drapery Falls" (live version) from Opeth (and yet the only one of their growling songs that I do enjoy). Since then I have come back to some other songs that I used to like a lot but dismissed because of the growling, such as "Cry to the Moon" from Epica, and "Forever" from Macbeth. And there's only one artist, I think, whose growling and extreme singing I do enjoy, and that's Devin Townsend... somehow, when he does it (or at least in some of my favourite songs) it makes sense, and I would not rather hear the songs without those vocals (like on "Planet Smasher", or his contribution on Ayreon's song "Loser").
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2017 at 18:01
Since the focus is on Camel, and the mid-70's period, I'd recommend more stuff from mid-late 70's. Nektar, Genesis, Steve Hackett, Ant. Phillips, Curved Air, Earth & Fire (2nd, 3rd albums), PFM, Renaissance, Strawbs, Bo Hansson (Magician's Hat).

Edited by Boojieboy - July 07 2017 at 18:03
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 03:48
Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

Since the focus is on Camel, and the mid-70's period, I'd recommend more stuff from mid-late 70's. Nektar, Genesis, Steve Hackett, Ant. Phillips, Curved Air, Earth & Fire (2nd, 3rd albums), PFM, Renaissance, Strawbs, Bo Hansson (Magician's Hat).

There are a few threads similar to this one, by the bands you mentioned.   As this is only Camel related,  whats the point of your post?
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 14:55
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

Originally posted by Boojieboy Boojieboy wrote:

There are a few threads similar to this one, by the bands you mentioned.   As this is only Camel related,  whats the point of your post?

I'd hazard at a guess that he's trying to recommend some other bands that a 'Camel fan' might like?? a bit like everyone else on this thread?Wink I mean, c'mon.. Tom Ozric is talking about Opeth and that's cool.. give a newbie a break!WinkWink

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 14:31
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

This German Camel band reminds a lot to Eloy without Bornemann's strong accent.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 19:21

... And there's only one artist, I think, whose growling and extreme singing I do enjoy, and that's Devin Townsend... somehow, when he does it (or at least in some of my favourite songs) it makes sense, and I would not rather hear the songs without those vocals (like on "Planet Smasher", or his contribution on Ayreon's song "Loser").

Don't want to de-rail this thread but I absolutely agree that Devin does great extreme/growling vocals. You mentioned Loser from Ayreons The Human Equation but his vocals on both Pain and School from the same album are equally as brilliant.

As for Camel like recommendations, I agree with Caravan. All their albums are great especially their debut through Cunning Stunts. Another Richard Sinclair lead vocal band from Canterbury scene would be Hatfield and the North. Their album The Rotters' Club is great stuff, very Camel-esque with more jazz. Also Richard Sinclair's solo album Caravan of Dreams , it may be hard to find, but has that definitive Camel vibe.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 09:46
Let me add the solo albums by Colin Bass. I love An Outcast From The Islands. In his live album with Josef Skrzek the two play also variou Camel covers like Fingertips and West Berlin. Also the japanese Bellaphon can be considered a Camel clone, just more keyboard oriented
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>