Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCafe Tacvba for Crossover

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Is Cafe Tacvba 'prog' enough to be on Progarchives?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
3 [100.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cafe Tacvba for Crossover
    Posted: June 23 2017 at 16:02
After discovering the band a few days ago, the instant I discovered the music, I bought their albums via Ebay.. This band clearly shows progressive tendencies, and I find it strange they aren't already on this site!! 

The biggest band of Mexico, and for good reason. Originally inspired by The Smiths, XTC, The Cure, they wanted to add their own style of instruments into the mix (mexican guitarronjarana..) 
 into t
From the beginning, they incorporated progressive tendencies with their odd-instrumentation: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W1B3jdJ6Wc

Further ahead, their album 're' demonstrates a style much more extreme, with nearly every song being casted with different genre-headings. From bossa-nova, to metal, ska, psych, sound clips.. Incorporating strings, sax, flute..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXbJIcfrwyw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwzK2sR8ukU

Then, their major double-album, an artsy masterpiece Reves/Yosoy has one disc all-instrumental (nearly), utilizing classical elements 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgJTJY0Fz0Y
and more obscure, angular sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tpy_PtHDaI

The second disc (though technically 'first' disc, since they're reversed, and my personal favorite) goes everywhere, and blends these genres the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji2t1ahJqXg
The first track displays it nicely, veering from minimalist vocals, to a Spanish-like ballad, very complex. To angular synths, to ambient sections breaking from the rest..

This isn't art-pop, this is beyond. There's something special here, and something very progressive. I don't know what they'd classify as, almost more eclectic-prog from every genre they explore, but an accessible sound typical more-so of Crossover.. 
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2017 at 16:08
For those Youtube clips, I attempted using the [TUBE...   }, but it wouldn't work, so they're each in annoying little url's. Sorry!! But hopefully that doesn't deter the moderators in deciding what to do with this band. 

I've noticed many people say 'Reves' is a Mexican 'Kid A', so if Radiohead can get on this site, I think the far-more experimental Cafe Tacuba should. As it pre-dates Kid A, and goes through almost avant-garde percussion, crazy time sigs, and nearly every genre (including Classical, Surf Rock, trip-hop..)
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2017 at 19:39
No way!!!!
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2017 at 19:40
If you want include Café Tacuba, so include, Soda Stereo, Aterciopelados, Gustavo Ceratti, Los prisioneros, etc.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2017 at 19:52
No way José.

Café Tacuba is anything but Prog.

Iván

Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 03:52
Too bad, I was hoping Reves/Yosoy would be progressive enough for their entry. I've never seen any appreciation or post about the band, so in part I wanted to bring their attention to the site. Soda Stereo is somewhat similar, I see the comparison, but Cafe' is funk, metal, rock, pop, jazz, classical.. Certainly more forward-thinking than Soda, but that's just me.

I guess it's everything but PROG Tongue

Eh, an amazing band doesn't need entry into Progarchives for their status to be proven. My friend and I were just shocked the band wasn't listed--or even mentioned--on this site. Hope these remarks weren't out of hate, but just a simple prog-evaluation of the band. The band's something special, that's for sure. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 04:13
I really dig what I'm hearing from these guys but yet again we seem to have drifted into the 'progressive music but not prog' area, to which many many bands belong. 
Sorta like Animal Collective or Death Grips - both acts that are pushing the buttons musically - but doing so through indie pop and experimental hip hop.

Great band and sound and I thank you for the heads up...I just don't think they belong on PA.
Just my two cents though - maybe others pick up on something I don't.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 15:37
Fair enough, thanks for your thoughts Guldbasen. They're very creative with their genres, atmosphere, instrument choices.. Yosoy is an epic album for me, their biggest album re makes me think of Bungle with the sheer variety in the album. 

I probably should move this to some 'Appreciation' thread, but then again, it's not specifically 'prog'. So I dunno!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply