Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhich would you actually prefer to endure?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Pick your poison!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [50.00%]
13 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 16:58
Haven't seen the performance, it will appear in the US sometime over the summer. Love Radiohead, I've seen them live and watched previous live performances. Would love to see them again. I'd also probably go to a Vogon poetry recital just for the experience.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2017 at 17:29
Another band from yesterday's line up I hadn't known before that I saw today in the morning was Temples. Apparently they're on progarchives but there's only a single review yet. Quite young but unashamedly retro, this music could have worked well in 1971. Not overly complex but very charming with some nice twists in their melodies and a good intuition for live dynamic. Some prog fans may like them. 

Edit: Just checked Guldbamsen's review of the 2011 Temples album, and despite them being classified as psych, what my ears heard was actually quite different from what he wrote in his review. Now the Temples on progarchives are from Finland and Wikipedia says "Temples are an English rock band formed in Kettering in 2012 by singer and guitarist James Bagshaw and bassist Tom Walmsley.
"
I think the guys at Glasto were the latter. They're classified as psychedelia, too. Very confusing.

Edited by Lewian - June 25 2017 at 17:38
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 06:47
Vogon poetry used as lyrics in prog rock would be an interesting endeavor. Come to think of it, Hitchhiker would be make an ideal prog rock opera. Avoiding the "cheesiness" factor might be a difficult one.

Edited by progaardvark - June 26 2017 at 06:48
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 07:09
I am a big Temples fan but I prefer the British variety. Their debut Sun Structures is a wonderful slice of psychedelic pop/rock a la Beatles anno 1970. Their most recent Volcano though seems to have been infected by the 80s synth bug like every other psych rock outfit out there atm. I prefer Pond's two most recent releases if we're going down that road.

Edited by Guldbamsen - June 26 2017 at 07:10
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 08:00
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Anyone who has read The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy knows that Vogon poetry is the worst in the universe; so much so that some have only survived a reading by gnawing off limbs so that the pain distracts them.

I confess that, after watching Radiohead at Glastonbury, I was close to having to seek the services of an artificial leg manufacturer. I really enjoyed Muse last year - and they're not usually my favourite band - because they were sensational live. In the same way, I'm generally ambivalent about Radiohead, but thought they might shine live. They didn't. To say they bombed is an understatement.

So pick your poison.

Let me tell you something, my nine year old daughter is fully into the top 40 pop pablum stage so when we are driving anywhere I get to listen to the likes of Ed Sheeran, Sia, Beiber, and still more horrific nonsense. Oh gee, and now there's a new Lorde record out. I'm sure program directors all over the country are just peeing themselves in anticipation of being able to flood the airwaves of their stations with that puke. 

I've never heard either of those pieces you posted but without even one single listen, I would pick both of them and gleefully listen anywhere from 80 to 5,376 times in place of the garbage my daughter likes. Anything would be better than driving with my knee on the steering wheel because my fingers are in my ears. 

I remember when Bugs Bunny asked Elmer Fudd if he wanted to shoot him now or wait till he got home. I really don't care which, just shoot me. Dead

Edited by Jeffro - June 26 2017 at 08:07
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 08:02
Actually, three or so years ago, I had her liking some songs from Rush off of Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures. I knew it wouldn't last but I enjoyed it while it did.  Big smile

We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 08:15
I don't know what Vogon poetry is but it can't be worse than Radiohead.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 09:44
poetry 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12