Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cans! (Headphone thread inspired by Dolly Parton)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cans! (Headphone thread inspired by Dolly Parton)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cans! (Headphone thread inspired by Dolly Parton)
    Posted: June 26 2017 at 03:32
Billedresultat for dolly parton tits
Cans. Yup we all love them. Some more than others. Dolly's favourite pair is the old Stax Lambda if I remember correctly.

So may I have the privilege of welcoming you to the brand new and improved thread concerning this much talked about subject. Please share your past and present experiences. Post a pic or two. What are you currently rocking? Open vs closed. Planar. Electrostats. Are some better suited for electronic or polka whilst others only work with Elvis? 

My current stash:
For long travels and bedside listening: Sony MDR 7506
Billedresultat for sony mdr 7506
Many complain about their lack of bass. I don't get that. These have some of the best detail in that department. I don't think I will ever tire of them tbh.

For sports or outside use when it's too hot to wear anything but a thong I use another pair of Sonys. MDR-EX650AP:
Billedresultat for sony mdr ex650ap
Recommended to just about anyone looking for some in-ears that don't break the bank. I am on my second pair now. 

For portable use, also functioning as earmuffs, we have the AKG Y50s in taxi cab yellow:
Billedresultat for akg y50 yellow
After listening to these I struggle to understand why people buy Beats at all. They're a third of the price and sound at least three times as good. Yes there is a bass boost there but it is subtle and "musical" and more importantly; it doesn't muddy the rest of the sound spectrum. 

Last but not least the Hifiman HE-400:
Billedresultat for hifiman he-400
These are my babies. Without a doubt the closest I've ever come to experiencing music live without being 'there'. These will get you 'there' in their own way though. Holy sh*t they're brilliant!

So now that I've shown you mine how about a little quid pro quo?

Edited by Guldbamsen - May 14 2018 at 10:38
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 04:29
I currently use Sennheiser Momentum cans for most of my listening. Like these:
Image result for sennheiser momentum
They aren't top shelf headphones, but I really like their sound. Not too much earsplitting highs and a nice amount of glassy mids and buttery bass. Perfect just about for most listening situations I'm in. They are quite good for outside use and, in my opinion, very pretty. The only problem is the size adjusting system, my long hair frequently gets tangled in it and it kind of hurts when I take them off to quick. LOL

I also sometimes borrow my dad's Sennheiser HD 280 headphones when he is not home. These sound godly.

Image result for sennheiser hd 280

Edited by ALotOfBottle - June 26 2017 at 04:37
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 06:33
A few of my most treasured CANS!!!!!

Edited by siLLy puPPy - June 26 2017 at 06:34

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 07:04
If those Sennheiser Momentums sound anything like their succesor Momentum 2 then they're wonderful. I tried them on for a good hour or so and they felt like quality. The sound was pretty sweet and relaxed - the kind you can listen to for hours on end without feeling fatigue. Haven't heard the 280s but I imagine they're in the same ballpark as my mdr 7506s.

I am a big fan of your cans Mike. Wonderful selection.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 07:21
^THanks :) I actually have a bitchin' pair of Sennheiser HD 600 that i've had for about 10 years. I'm a bit bummed as the connections are starting to fray and they've ended up on a shelf in utter neglect for the moment. This thread is a good reminder to fix them :P

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 07:28
Sure is. Even so if you decided to try out a new make or model you can always be sure that there are plenty of uyers for used hd 600s out there. I imagine they're pretty easy to sell providing they're not full of mayo.
Then again why get a new pair if you're happy with what you've got.

- Douglas Adams
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 07:35
^ I had same problem with only two years of use and exchanged the cord for the one from HD650 (same connection but more sturdy)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 07:45
Funny. Out of all the headphones I've tried over the last few months I have yet to hear a pair of open Sennheisers - which is odd when you consider just how many who own hd600 or 800s.
I would like to try them at some point.

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 07:47
I only own a pair of Sennheiser HD 448 for the past five years and they sound great for its price. I should look into new ones but I'm upgrading my system from the source, so it will take a while.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 07:53
How is that even possible and why would Ayreon know what you like?

All kidding aside Samuel, I finally tried out some Superlux models and they are absolutely fantastic for the price. Just if you're interested in dipping your toes in something a little different without having to pay more than 3-40€

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 08:14
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

How is that even possible and why would Ayreon know what you like?

All kidding aside Samuel, I finally tried out some Superlux models and they are absolutely fantastic for the price. Just if you're interested in dipping your toes in something a little different without having to pay more than 3-40€
LOL

That's great but I don't like to own several models of something. I prefer buying the best I can afford.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 09:21
I've generally stuck with Audio-Technicas. My m50s broke and weren't worth fixing (it was just a wire that needed to be resoldered, but the electronics place in town wouldn't fix it, and I would've had to spend $70 or more to get it fixed because I bought them used and didn't have a warranty), so I bought m40x's which were only $100. The m50s had a bit more mid-range, which I liked, but the m40s serve me well still. The detachable cable is everything. If I ever have the same problem I did with the m50s, I can just replace the cable.

Edited by Polymorphia - June 26 2017 at 09:27
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2017 at 14:01
Nice opening of a thread, perhaps these are Dolly's favorite...
Image result for dolly parton headphones

My current headphones of choice (and budget) are Audio Technica ATH-M40X for home use (very satisfied with them as they are neutral so I can hear the way it was recorded and then adjust the equalizer if want it to sound more this way or that).  

For on the go, I have an on ear Sennheiser PX100-II, has that classic Sennheiser sound but light weight, they are open back also.  I find myself listening to these at home more now.  I never really liked the in ear buds even though the M6-Pro by MeElectronics studio monitor buds I have sound quite good, just prefer on or over the ear style cans.

Been thinking about an open back set of cans and those Hifiman HE-400s look awesome!  Also want to get the classic Senns HD280s just because.....

My first experience with good cans was when I was a youngling and got a pair of Koss Pro 4aa headphones, damn were they awesome!  Edgar Winter's - They Only Come Out at Night album was full of sounds that I had not heard before, damn Frakenstein was a monster on those cans via a junky 8-track no less...

PS-may have to suffer many times through captcha since I am posting a photo.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 23:43
I've been using the ATH-M40X for a week now and I'm very pleased. I fear these are only a first step to a long trip down the rabbit hole. The sound clarity is amazing. I can definitely pick out some new details in songs I've listened to for years. I tried my old gear again and was wondering how I could listen to so much music with such poor sound.

I'm now looking for a good set of open headphones ideally within the same price range. There seems to be a wide array of options but for some reason almost all I've seen have nondetachable cables. The detachable cable is really a must for me. I ruled out the K240s because apparently they require proper amplification so I'm left with two options: Superlux HD668B and Philips SHP9500(S). Both are very cheap so that's nice but I feel like having something of better quality unless I have to pay $500. So how do these models compare (soundstage-wise especially) and what are some other options for open-back headphones with detachable cables under $300?
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 04:41
Difficult question to answer. It depends if you mean "for listening to music" or "for studio use". 

If you're looking at studio use, you really need a set of headphones with a totally flat response, unless you want surprises later when you play a track back through monitors (etc) and the bass, mid or treble response sounds completely different - as the headphones you were using to mix or master the track were biased towards a louder bass response. 

I've always tended to use Sennheisers, but that's through me just being stuck in the headphone mud. Some Sonys I've tried have been quite nice. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 04:42
PS If Dolly's going to drown them puppies, I'll have the one with the pink nose.

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 05:59
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Difficult question to answer. It depends if you mean "for listening to music" or "for studio use". 

If you're looking at studio use, you really need a set of headphones with a totally flat response, unless you want surprises later when you play a track back through monitors (etc) and the bass, mid or treble response sounds completely different - as the headphones you were using to mix or master the track were biased towards a louder bass response. 

I've always tended to use Sennheisers, but that's through me just being stuck in the headphone mud. Some Sonys I've tried have been quite nice. 

I guess my question is why you wouldn't also want a flat response for just listening to music, and hear the recording as faithfully as possible?

At home I use Sennheiser HD600s and HD650s, which I think are fairly flat. Though I just chose them on the totally subjective basis that they sounded good to me.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 08:22
Well, mainly because tastes differ . Also, not all headphones are created equal, so if you're using a pair of phones with less midrange than whoever mixed the album intended you to have..... you don't hear the recording as faithfully as possible. 

If all headphones and speakers were totally flat response, there wouldn't be a market for equalisers. 

noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 14:53
I own a bose right now and find it more on bass side,  not  enough clarity.  Whats a good headphone offers good clarity.  Both classical, Progressive and modern pop!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 12:58
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

I've generally stuck with Audio-Technicas. My m50s broke and weren't worth fixing (it was just a wire that needed to be resoldered, but the electronics place in town wouldn't fix it, and I would've had to spend $70 or more to get it fixed because I bought them used and didn't have a warranty), so I bought m40x's which were only $100. The m50s had a bit more mid-range, which I liked, but the m40s serve me well still. The detachable cable is everything. If I ever have the same problem I did with the m50s, I can just replace the cable.

Hi Tony it's been a while. I trust you're in the midst of recording strange sounds which leaves little room for robotinflicted prog forums. Either way cool to see you and those m40s are indeed wonderful for the price.
I had the same problem with my Sony mdr7506s - not that the cable broke but it was getting increasingly irritating because I tend to move about when listening to music. I have actually just traded them for a pair of Denon ah-d600. Completely different sound signature but I just love how they sound...and they come with two cables: one short and one long

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>