Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cans....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 19:01
Well, the test drives are over and I have settled on the HifiMan HE400S!  Actually bought them and now the wife has hidden them until Christmas...

Actually was dreading the High end audio store from past experience, but got a younger guy who let me use my own rig/setup to test with in a room to myself and turned out to be "almost" a pleasure.  In the price range I wanted, this store had the HE400i, HE400S, and the Grado 325e, and took them all in the room with me and compared as I liked.  Grados sounded good, but a little punchy, not as airy, and were not as comfortable.  So it came down to the Hifimans.  The two 400 cans sounded fantastic and very similar (not sure I could tell the difference once I used an amp), the 400s seemed a bit lighter, little more comfortable, and easier to drive (not a big factor, but was a plus). 

Planar Mags are a delight!  I did not want to ruin my decision by trying high priced Audeze planar mag cans they had there.

Since I could not find any Sennheiser 650s (or 600s) to test drive, I decided to take the sure thing that I actually heard and was pleased with and went with the Hifiman HE400S.  Senns will have to wait...

I did find a Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro at a different store (best cans they had in open backs) and test drove them and was very impressed with those (at about half the price).  Only way to test drive was via their pre-setup system with all the headphones playing the same samples they had, still sounded good and thought seriously about those.

Now to find where the wife hid the cans....

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 07:46
Wait...what???
Now you have to wait close to a month to actually use them?
Man that is just torture!

Either way congrats on your new can Jim. I take it we'll have to wait a while before we can get a more succinct impression of them from you, but at least you've got something to look forward to.

Heh I think you made a wise decision NOT to try out the Audezes. That is unless you're planning on making a sweet deal on a secondhand pair. Good thing about secondhand Audeze is that a) they're often taken very good care of b) they're built like tanks. Be that as it may I am still perfectly satisfied with my Hifimans and I feel like I could use that same amount of money on something that sounds even better ie Stax.

Never heard the dt990 but it seems to be a somewhat divisive can. Many complain about it's sharp treble but then again many peple don't like spices (what's up with that??). I almost bought a secondhand pair once but decided not to mostly because I was looking for a more neutral sound signature like the dt880 or like the one I actually ended up buying the dt1350. Small, light, portable, metal constructed beauty that blows away any other portable on-ear can I've tried (with the exception of the Audeze Sine but that's cheating since it's planar;). No pic though since I'm on my phone (the preferred way of frequenting this site lately if one wants to dodge katjas.).
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 13:40
^ Yes, we are just a couple of kids at heart, I knew she would not let me use them until Christmas (we both do the same thing to each other, anticipation!).  I know also that I will have some MAD Magazines in the stocking, always do...(go figure, they have been my guide book since the 60s).   Insert smiley face here to avoid the "katjas"... hmmm Kat Jazz, a new genre?

I did however, pull the 400s out of the box and give them a test run for sanity check in case they were bad or missing something, plus a sneak peak listen.  Compared them briefly to my ATH-M40X cans.  At first hear, the 400s seem nearly as neutral in tone, but oh my the sound stage difference!  Can't wait!  

Started getting the evil eye after a half hour, so had to box them back up and hand them over to the warden.

Good idea about used Audezes, keep that in mind for the future.  
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 05:47
Well I do know cat jazz y'know the feline variety of the much heralded ch ch che genre. 2 tunes instantly spring to mind: the one in Aristocats (of course) and Frank Zappa's Little Umbrellas. Something about the groove in Umbrellas that very eloquently mimics the gate of a cat. I always think of cats when I hear it.

Mad Magazines and Hifiman cans. Sounds like a home-run to me. Maybe add a slightly odd exotic pet like a lemur fx and then there is no contest whatsoever: best christmas ever! I want a tapir myself but I am sadly not allowed pets in my apartment.

Btw has anyone heard the newest breed of hd600 ie the hd660? Costly buggers and judging by reviews it seems verging n the insane to spend over a 100€ extra on what effectively is a ever so slightly improved take on the hd650. Then again I haven't heard it, but it sure looks like the hd650.
Maybe Simon will pick these up. He sure needs a new pair after the recent cable travesty and who better to give us the down low on these cans than one who actually owns all three?

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 07 2017 at 05:48
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2017 at 17:41
^Tapir!  LOL, what a hoot that would be to have that thing walk around, sit and watch TV, listen to prog....perhaps Pink Floyd's Animals would be his/her favorite.

I instantly thought of Crimson's "Cat Food" song for kat jazz, besides the obvious title and lyrics, the piano runs on that song make me think of a cat scampering across the piano keys.  Will have to re-listen to Umbrellas...

Saw the HD660s come up a lot in research, curious what is really the difference between 600s, 650s, and now 660s.

On some Can thoughts, I have researching/reading a lot about "breaking" new Cans in.  The Hifiman manual indicates 150 hours of listening/use.  Seems to be debate on both side of the isle for breaking versus does not need breaking in.  From my own experience, I thought my ATH-M40X sounded muddy at first until later they sounded much better.  My portable Senns PX-100ii sounded great from the get go.  My own thoughts on this are any thing man made and has movable/vibrating parts (regardless how minute) require a settling in period.  However, I think my ears or hearing require an adjustment period to get used to the new/different sound also, so maybe it is a combination of both?  Anyway, food for fodder...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic