Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cans! (Headphone thread inspired by Dolly Parton)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cans! (Headphone thread inspired by Dolly Parton)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 15:25

i really am happy for you and everyone else on this thread of dolly's breasts, for how much what you have all done for yourselves, which is  by trying to get more out of your music. I hold all of you with the highest respect and would never discount any of your findings. If anything i am here to help and share some of my findings cause we all appreciate great sonics and getting more out of them listening wise.
Chord DACS? Yeah .you gotta hear them!! 
Just trust me . the differences as opposed to pretty much all conventional dacs is astounding .

I can explain further if you like. And hey! I know your ears work great! Just look at your taste in music and headphones. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 07:25
^ Nick, always appreciate your input.  Regarding cables, I find it hard to spend more on cables than I paid for headphones.  :)

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Edit: btw my Hifimans arrived a little while ago and they're wonderful! Oh my word... they sound awesome out of an iphone as well as my cowon plenue d (both share about the same output ie 1V). Sure enough there is yet another gear that unfolds when I plug it into an amp, but we're talking a minuscule increase in sq. Anyway I picked up this tiny dap by Xduoo called the Nano D3 and while it doesn't sport the 100 h batterylife of the plenue d, it beats it twofold in muscular strength with a 2V output. Just enough for the Hifimans to reach the ultimate "gear".

Dave, I figured you would like the S version of Hifimans.  iPhones and such can drive with ease and sound great!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 14:12
They do sound great out of an iPhone. Truth be told I'd have a damn hard time distinguishing between the iPhone and my dedicated amp. The new Xduoo player was actually more directed at my Ultrasones which all benefit from a teenie tiny bit more power than a 1V device can muster up.

Little fun story from real life in northern Denmark: mad man sells off his beloved hd600 and almost instantly regrets it...even if he had made the decision to save up for the hd800. Oh well...
The next day he sees a brand new hd58X Jubilee for sale on the used market. Heyho here we go again because he instantly remembered something about it using the same drivers as the hd700 and the hd660s - at a fraction of the price but still very much an hd600 headphone in build quality, comfort and design (it's the exact same). Hell it's even made in Ireland.

I haven't received it yet, but I am very much looking forward to it. If most reviewers are right about this thing, then it should basically be an hd660s in different colours. I just have to pull out the foam they put in the cups to 'tune it' differently...or indeed how they make a brilliant headphone slightly worse sounding in order to sell it cheaper. Well Sennheiser, most of the internet's can connoisseurs are onto you.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 15:42
^ Darn Mad Man, I mean Dave LOL .  I had not heard  or read that foam pulling method.  I can see we need to start CA (Cans Anonymous) meetings.

Hi, I am Jim and I am a Canaholic....  Hmmm, this could have a double meaning in this thread.

Damn! just got captchad!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 11:09
^ he wants to...i mean mad man....wants to acoustically treat the headphones in a different manner. :)
Oh man i experimented doing stuff like that with my mdr z7's and i found that the stock pads were the best. I am really not in favor of dampening acoustic reflections in headphones cause 9 times out of 10 headphones that you buy are already pretty well acoustically treated very nicely .
Also, no sweat on the cable imput. I also agree with you about spending more money on a cable than the headphone itself. That is ridiculous .:)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 11:13
also i think Dave's new nickname should be mr. Felt .

😂

Also Dave . I forgot . do you have the OHM monsters He 600 or the 500? 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 12:05
Jim: I've read your post a couple of times and it makes me chuckle every time. Yep I'm that old.
Disregarding what we call the bugger it'd be nice to hook up somewhere over some good music and a few cans to try out - preferably served up with tons of Dolly Parton memorabilia (you know you got it), great danish beer (I've got a guy on the inside who knows all the cool small brewers), bacon (bacon just makes everything better) and comfy chairs (dancefloor wouldn't hurt either but I realise I am pretty much on my own there ).

Nick: You can call me anything my friend. I have had the strangest of nicknames over the years - stuff that makes absolutely no sense other than to a certain few of my friends. Mr felt also has another connotation y'know - or feel me?

I have he500 drivers inserted in the he6 corpus. Must be one of a kind methinks. I've put on some proper angled leather pads, so now they're even bigger than their usual enormous size. I look like some radio technician from the 50s wearing these
But the sound....oh my. Unlike dynamic headphones that, at least to me, feel more like headphones - with the he500 it feels like 'being there'. The sound is instant, linear, hell almost liquidy in that you feel as if you are in a big room of sound. It never sounds like a headphone to me. That's it's biggest strength.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 12:28
oh man that sounds cool! So you swapped the drivers huh? So did you end up buying both Cans then selling one off to aquire the drivers? Anyhow. That is interesting . The HE 600 has en enormus frame...much like the audeze headphones...but not quite .
I guess the HE 600 that you have would be much easier to drive now .:) 
You will have to fill me in sometime how you came about swapping out drivers and why .:) 
Anyway. I love that feeling as well .when headphones actually exhibit loudspeaker qualities rather than typical headphones themselves .
So yeah. Actually the hd 800 will do that for you . Like the he500's you have. You will get that binaural feeling that the sound is out of head...only a tad more wider .:) 
So johnny felts. Did you doctor up your he 500's with a 600 frame with some felt around the drivers to lower the treble response? 
I doubt you did, but i think once you grab the 800's you will be stuffing them with playdough .Lol. 
Just kidding. I know you would not mess with greatness. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 12:36
oh and fyi gentlemen. 

The IQ 25th Ann Box set is such a delight. Not sure if you guys are into 5.1 mixes or support that codec, however the cds themselves will do just fine with you guys if you don't. :)
I truly love the recordings. Mike holmes and rob aubrey did a great job remixing the album and it was not of course simply made louder or more compressed. Not at all! 
You guys have better gear now, so once you pop this box set into your cd players you will freak. 

Anyway. Just thought i would pass along the rec .it is truly great. :)
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 12:39
The bracket holding my HE 400i earpieces has broken, can anyone send me a link.  Cannot find a replacement.   My headphones are now 6 months old and both brackets shattered too bits Confused

Thumbs Down.........Cry

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 00:53
Nick: I am far from being handy. I bought the he500 like that. The only mods I dare perform are either pad swaps or adding a nicer headband/less stiff cable. That’s about it.
The whole loudspeaker thing is also what attracts me to the 800, but I think it’s a lot of money spent on a headphone...even used.

Noni:
I am so sorry to hear that. I have read plenty of comments suggesting the hinges are somewhat fragile. Also why I heartily recommend the original Hifiman design that while a tad heavier feels like it will survive a small war.
I haven’t seen any vendors that offer replacement parts online, but if I do I’ll be sure to pop by this thread.

Hold up: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8578o0/currently_in_the_process_of_making_replacement/
Maybe you’ll get lucky. The above page was found by simply searching for replacement hinges/yokes for Hifiman.

I am going to be very careful with my new he400s as they too have these plastic yokes. I found out when I had the he350 for a short period of time NOT to fold it flat...even if it looks kinds cool. I figured there was no sense in applying pressure to what looks like fragile plastic, when the headphone looks perfectly alright in ‘normal’ mode. After reading your post Noni, I am making sure I’ll continue this trend.

- Douglas Adams
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 08:31
Noni:  Bummer man, is it still under warranty?
I have babied my 400s cans thus far, when not in use I hang them on a little headphone stand on a desk.  I am going to be extra careful with now after hearing your unfortunate news.  Hope you can get them fixed...

Jim:  I've read your post a couple of times and it makes me chuckle every time. Yep I'm that old.
Disregarding what we call the bugger it'd be nice to hook up somewhere over some good music and a few cans to try out - preferably served up with tons of Dolly Parton memorabilia (you know you got it), great danish beer (I've got a guy on the inside who knows all the cool small brewers), bacon (bacon just makes everything better) and comfy chairs (dancefloor wouldn't hurt either but I realise I am pretty much on my own there  ). 

A PA Can Jam! LOL

We would need a life size replica of Dolly to be in the Pub, as we test out different Cans we could hang the other Cans on.... uh, well, you know.  
Ah..Bacon, I saw a TV chef have a T-shirt on once that said "Bacon is Meat Candy", oh how true!  I think the only Danish beer I've had is Carlsberg Pilsner of some sort.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 05:24
I am not that fiddly with regards to cans. To me they’re all very welcome! Not too sure about a lifesize doll of the good Dolly...seems like an idea but with far too many things that could potentially go wrong....or maybe I just have weird friends.

Yeah Carlsberg pilseners as well as Tuborg is probably the most successful beers here in Denmark, but they’re far from being interesting once you start pulling out some similar brewskis made by fx Mikkeler.
Personalet I have become totally smitten by sour beers and the punch they manage to sport....not sour as in stuffing a lemon in one’s mouth but more of a fruity and refreshing note to the proceedings.

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 08:14
a PA CANJAM OR AUDIO FEST would be amazing .
That would be a dream come true to meet you fine people. Omg the amount of fun we would all have . I have had the previlege of going to a couple of head-fi meets here in Toronto and they are amazing . 
If you guys ever decide to join head-fi.org . I go by nephilim32 in the forms. It is a pretty good site for all things CANS! :)

No capatcha crap either .
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 10:42

Nick: I am far from being handy. I bought the he500 like that. The only mods I dare perform are either pad swaps or adding a nicer headband/less stiff cable. That’s about it.
The whole loudspeaker thing is also what attracts me to the 800, but I think it’s a lot of money spent on a headphone...even used.

Noni:
I am so sorry to hear that. I have read plenty of comments suggesting the hinges are somewhat fragile. Also why I heartily recommend the original Hifiman design that while a tad heavier feels like it will survive a small war.
I haven’t seen any vendors that offer replacement parts online, but if I do I’ll be sure to pop by this thread.

Hold up: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/8578o0/currently_in_the_process_of_making_replacement/
Maybe you’ll get lucky. The above page was found by simply searching for replacement hinges/yokes for Hifiman.

I am going to be very careful with my new he400s as they too have these plastic yokes. I found out when I had the he350 for a short period of time NOT to fold it flat...even if it looks kinds cool. I figured there was no sense in applying pressure to what looks like fragile plastic, when the headphone looks perfectly alright in ‘normal’ mode. After reading your post Noni, I am making sure I’ll continue this trend.

Thanks Guldbamsen.Smile

I cannot seem to find a link for these yokes to be purchased..  Keep me posted though if you find anything.  Smile 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 00:29
Hey Noni if you know someone with a 3D printer then here’s a link to the ‘recipe’ for Hifiman yokes: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2872936

Love to come see Canada at some point Nick. It’d be cool to meet John the mellotron too.
I just received my HD58X Jubilee yesterday btw. Pretty cool can that enjoyed somewhat until I decided to pop off the grills and remove the foams from the cups...and wouldn’t you know? The headphone changed from being perhaps the poorest isolating closed back to an open back in 2 minutes. The stage got bigger, clarity increased as well as air finally being introduced to the sound. Awesome!
So far my absolute fave of the 6 series...even if it starts with a 5.

Pic of how it looks with the foam:
https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/hd58x-jubilee.jpg

Without:
https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/hd58x-jubilee.jpg?w=482&h=600

The latter is with the 600 bumps in the headband though which is how it looked before it was sent into production...also with a view to the drivers, which begs the question: did they somehow make a hd660s clone the first time around and then as an afterthought decided to stuff some foam in the cups so as not to infuriate folks who just spent 500$ on the new flagship in the 6 series?

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 17 2018 at 01:01

- Douglas Adams
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 05:32

Hey Noni if you know someone with a 3D printer then here’s a link to the ‘recipe’ for Hifiman yokes: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2872936

Love to come see Canada at some point Nick. It’d be cool to meet John the mellotron too.
I just received my HD58X Jubilee yesterday btw. Pretty cool can that enjoyed somewhat until I decided to pop off the grills and remove the foams from the cups...and wouldn’t you know? The headphone changed from being perhaps the poorest isolating closed back to an open back in 2 minutes. The stage got bigger, clarity increased as well as air finally being introduced to the sound. Awesome!
So far my absolute fave of the 6 series...even if it starts with a 5.

Pic of how it looks with the foam:
https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/hd58x-jubilee.jpg

Without:
https://diyaudioheaven.files.wordpress.com/2017/12/hd58x-jubilee.jpg?w=482&h=600

The latter is with the 600 bumps in the headband though which is how it looked before it was sent into production...also with a view to the drivers, which begs the question: did they somehow make a hd660s clone the first time around and then as an afterthought decided to stuff some foam in the cups so as not to infuriate folks who just spent 500$ on the new flagship in the 6 series?

Keep me posted or PM me on any news please!. Smile...... I've been looking for months now for a replacement. Confused
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 13:06
Honestly Noni if I were you, I would look at the used market in the UK. Just like here in Denmark the UK also has a huge headphone scene. Maybe you will find someone who makes yokes. You will however often see the original HE400 up for sale and it is quite cheap these days ie in the vicinity of a 100€.
Now I know you probably already feel you spent a whole lot of money on the headphone in itself, but I fear this problem may rear its ugly head again unless you find some guy with a 3D printer that can make the yokes more robust.

If you search for pictures of the Hifiman HE400 you'll see what I mean. This headphone will NEVER break.

Edit: sorry I am not sure why I placed you in the UK, my bad, but I gather Canada has its own can scene as well

Update regarding the Sennheiser HD58X:
It is wonderful! Hah...
It is pretty much an HD600 in sound albeit reaching further in either end of the spectrum (bass and treble). Contrary to the 600 the 58X does electronica, hip hop or similar styles of music that move about in the deeper territories of the bass.
Case in point the opening tune to The Orb’s newest album: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HZgYmR2IYLo
The bass sounds here are plentiful and wavering about in themselves but you need a headphone that can reach low in order to appreciate all the different nuances.

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 18 2018 at 05:15

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 20:13
well I thought I would just pop in .

Nice to see the new mod Dave .yeah anytime you allow more air flow into the driver dome the soundstage is far less blanketed. If you live alone...great ...if you don't your lady or roomate will kill you. Lol. God They leak like crazy .much like the hd800's. 

So. Last weekend I went to audio fest in Toronto. I had the best time .tried out a plethora of great headphone gear and other accessories .
Highlights were the Focal Utopias and Final Audio D8000's driven simply out of my portable vacuum tube amp made by cypher labs. I was just amazed how a pair of 4 and 5 thousand dollar headphones could be driven and handled so well out of a non desktop amp . Boy .I think the Utopias are the bees knees .such a fun headphone and have an OHM resistance of just 80! Wow! The D 8000's are amazing as well However they are slightly more stuffy than the focals .focals are a very deep detailed headphone and best of all you don't need a 2000 dollar amp to get the most out of them. 
Also. Tried the chord DAVE with the CHORD BLU MK 2 M-Scaler cd player .
Jesus Christ. That is some of thee finest audio gear around. However i am quite surprised that the DAVE's amp section doesn't have that much juice! Needed a pre amp to get that set up going...then it was wow time! Loved listening to Rush's Moving pictures. I brought in my own original athem cd pressing and it was very much like listening to the set up i have at home only a bit more bass heavy cause I was not using the hd 800's...I used the hd 820's! Man. What a closed back. 
Hey Dave. I guarantee you would not want to do anything to those! 
Best closed back I have ever heard. Those and the LCD xc's .wow! Just wow .

Anyway fellas . I am in hifi heaven lately .Really appreciate what I personally have these days .
Of course whenever you guys want to come to Toronto Canada I will welcome you all in my home and will listen to our music how we should and want to hear it .:)
Without question. This is one of my absolute fav threads on PA of all time and i love hearing all of your stories. 

So . just to note. I would love to hear what sources or music you guys love most with your gear! 
I am sure you all have been able to pick up massive sonic differences amongst your music libraries.  :)

It is share time my friends. Don't be shy. :)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 02:49
I have a sickness...that much is evident. Selling cans because they are becoming far too many in my apartment - stopping them before they join forces and hijack the place ultimately making me listen to music I hate....like an 8 hour ABBA marathon...hoho
Long story short: I couldn’t sell the q701. I have been on quite the RPI kick of late and those AKGs are just heavenly for the style.
I also bought a black version of the dt990 without the curly pig’s tail. The headphone that makes everything sound amazing! Genuinely. I have yet to hear an album that sounds bad out of the Beyer and cannot for the life of me understand how folks run screaming to the hills because of the treble.
I now have 8 again...

But yeah sure Nick I’ll play. Some of the albums I first spin in order to see what’s what with a can are:
Ulver - The Assassination Of Julius Caesar (modern production at its finest)
Lucio Battisti - Anima Latina (old school production at its finest)
Dzyan - Dream Machine (best sounding acoustic instruments EVER!)
Fleet Foxes - Crack Up (vast and peculiar stage that really works wonders with some cans)
The Orb - No Sounds Are Out Of Bounds (need to hear how low it goes?)
The Stooges - Raw Power (the ultimate litmus test: some cans are just too revealing or bright up top (some times its the same thing actually) and they will effectively kill this rock classic)

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 26 2018 at 02:51

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>