Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cans! (Headphone thread inspired by Dolly Parton)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cans! (Headphone thread inspired by Dolly Parton)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 09:05
Well Dave. Love this post but lets not confuse 'sickness' with sheer passion. :)
I am a big believer that what you are doing is healthy and worth while...different headphone makes and technologies all have a unique sound signature to them! 
I love that you own so many headphones and I know as well as anyone that what you are doing there is an extreme point to it. :)
As we all know here by now is that EQ'ing is a death trap for distortion, sound anomalies and sheer unrealisim in one's music. 
Dave...keep all your headphones. Find a dedicated space for them and just keep them. I use 4 myself. I mostly do critical listening but when I want to have a less analytical time I choose a warmer and bass thumping headphone...the Sony mdr Z7's. Sure. They may be 800 bucks but for me they are worth every penny. I mean we're talking 70mm drivers here! They exude serious low end. 

Anyway. Awesome list! I can really identify with The ORB and ULVER out of your choices. 

So. What I would like to do is just list 5 albums with each headphone I currently own and adore. 
Also to note, most of my sources are older but they are ALL original sound recordings...no remasters or reissues. 

With HD 800's

Supertramp-- Breakfast In America. ( this is without question one of the most vivid and dynamic listening experiences I have ever had with this headphone. 
IQ---Ever ( Truth Serum for how well a snare drum pop can sound. Just listen to the Darkest Hour. :)
APP-- Turn Of A Friendly Card ( you could really site Alan's entire catalog for testing out your gear, but i love this one. Most headphones fail miserably with this album because of the PRAT (pace rythem attack timing.) in other words...you need a quick headphone and a headphone that can gather detail like no one's business. 
Tears For Fears--Sowing The Seeds of Love. ( Again. It is PRAT, but it is also timbre and vibrancy of all instruments played mainly the brass sections. Most times Horns in general don't sound real. However, my 800's fix that for me. 
Depeche Mode-- Personal Jesus (maxi Single) Bass tightness and focus. It is all about the low end. The 800's can go pretty low. Most don't know that. 

Sony MDR Z7 (With Tube amp) 

Very simply. I am all about bass or low end retrieval. This is a very bass centric list because that is what tube amps and my z7's do best. 

1) Black Sabbath-- Master of Reality
2) Metallica-- Black Album. ( Where ever I may roam baby!!)
3) Arena--Immortal? ( Love Chosen. )
4) Genesis-- Trick of the tail. ( Squonk is a serious headshaker)  
5) Goblin ( Roller) 

Anyway. I could go on for days but I love sharing sonic feelings and results with my different headphone set ups. 

There is just so many types of listening to do. Audio gear is getting better and better. We are all so lucky to live in this time .
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 17:46
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I have a sickness...I now have 8 again...

LOL As part of Nick's definition, perhaps a healthy obsession? 

Here are some of the albums I like to test drive or set a baseline with new headphones on.  

Queen - Night at the Opera
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Budgie - Bandolier
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet
PFM - Storia di un Minuto
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery (Toccata will go from so delicately quiet to an assault on the ears)
Something by Zeppelin or early Black Sabbath

Dave, now I am thinking about those damn Beyerdynamic DT990s again.  Did you get the Pro version?

Thinking about going DAC on my laptop tonight, I have not done that in quite awhile.  Nothing expensive, just a Soundblaster E1 that I got cheap a few years ago.  Mostly got it for the stand alone headphone amp which it does an OK job of, but the DAC out of the computer it does a really nice job with its software control panel with a good number of options to play with.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 18:33
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

I have a sickness...I now have 8 again...

LOL As part of Nick's definition, perhaps a healthy obsession? 

Here are some of the albums I like to test drive or set a baseline with new headphones on.  

Queen - Night at the Opera
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Budgie - Bandolier
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet
PFM - Storia di un Minuto
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery (Toccata will go from so delicately quiet to an assault on the ears)
Something by Zeppelin or early Black Sabbath

Dave, now I am thinking about those damn Beyerdynamic DT990s again.  Did you get the Pro version?

Thinking about going DAC on my laptop tonight, I have not done that in quite awhile.  Nothing expensive, just a Soundblaster E1 that I got cheap a few years ago.  Mostly got it for the stand alone headphone amp which it does an OK job of, but the DAC out of the computer it does a really nice job with its software control panel with a good number of options to play with.

those are all great recordings to enjoy through headphones, especially the Queen one. Wink
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2018 at 05:46
Having just got the KC - Live in Mexico 2017, 3 CDs and Blu ray footage, was trying to find what headphones Fripp was wearing.  It looks to be some type of Berdynamics.  Also found where Mel Collins of the band uses Senns and Berdynamics.  

Big photo paste craptcha test...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 04:02
Funny how that goes Nick. If I were to do a list today I would most likely opt for different albums...and perhaps include the real title of that Dzyan album that I always seem to misremember the name of: Time Machine and/or the 1975 masterpiece Electric Silence both of which render acoustic instruments in a highly infatuating manner per my ears:)

I indeed got the pro version Jim - though a special edition in all black and with a straight 3 m cable. Those piggy tails really grind my gears...but then again I tend to move around when I listen to music and those cables get caught on chairs and tables...and suddenly you're without headphones!!! Tadahh! Any normal music fan out there, sitting down for the session, will most likely not give a damn about this.

Oh yeah...um...I've found my holy grail of dynamic headphones! It's called the S4 from a Slovenian company named Ollo. The frequency response is flat! Like pancake flat. I've never seen or heard anything similar in cans....and I thought neutral meant boring sound!
Not at all! What neutrality actually provides you with is heaps of detail - detail I think is masked in coloured cans ie certain boosted areas masks other small frequensies to the human ear. Sounds mad...but only until you listen to the Ollo.
It is without a doubt the most naturally detailed headphone I've ever tried....and it does hip hop and similar heavy bass genres brilliantly as well. Mostly becaue it is neutral and if the mix is bassy then the Ollo will play it...and it reaches looow too. Other supposedly neutral cans often boost the mids and highs in order to better locate mistakes in the mix..which then in turn masks the bass and makes it sound less than neutral in quantity. Again this all becomes very apparent when you listen to the S4.

Arrghh nuts! I need to sell some cans so I can justify buying this wonderful Slovenian creature.

Edith: I think those Beyer cans are the dt250 Jim.

Edited by Guldbamsen - November 10 2018 at 04:05
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Prog-Hifi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-Hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 20:34
I'm looking for another good pair of cans.
Akg 702 are on sale
hifiman 400i are lil more.

I currently own pair of sennheisers 598 hd ivory ,Which of those 2 is better upgrade.
I listen to alot of current prog vs 70s prog. in flac
I own fiio m7 dap ,With no amp my 598s dirve perfect.
Which of those 2 would drive better without amp ?
On fiio m7 for my lossless needs?

Prog-Hifi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-Hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 20:35
i read in other thread 702 r like puring nougat in your ear canal but i also heard hifi400i r good also
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 22:22

Funny how that goes Nick. If I were to do a list today I would most likely opt for different albums...and perhaps include the real title of that Dzyan album that I always seem to misremember the name of: Time Machine and/or the 1975 masterpiece Electric Silence both of which render acoustic instruments in a highly infatuating manner per my ears:)

I indeed got the pro version Jim - though a special edition in all black and with a straight 3 m cable. Those piggy tails really grind my gears...but then again I tend to move around when I listen to music and those cables get caught on chairs and tables...and suddenly you're without headphones!!! Tadahh! Any normal music fan out there, sitting down for the session, will most likely not give a damn about this.

Oh yeah...um...I've found my holy grail of dynamic headphones! It's called the S4 from a Slovenian company named Ollo. The frequency response is flat! Like pancake flat. I've never seen or heard anything similar in cans....and I thought neutral meant boring sound!
Not at all! What neutrality actually provides you with is heaps of detail - detail I think is masked in coloured cans ie certain boosted areas masks other small frequensies to the human ear. Sounds mad...but only until you listen to the Ollo.
It is without a doubt the most naturally detailed headphone I've ever tried....and it does hip hop and similar heavy bass genres brilliantly as well. Mostly becaue it is neutral and if the mix is bassy then the Ollo will play it...and it reaches looow too. Other supposedly neutral cans often boost the mids and highs in order to better locate mistakes in the mix..which then in turn masks the bass and makes it sound less than neutral in quantity. Again this all becomes very apparent when you listen to the S4.

Arrghh nuts! I need to sell some cans so I can justify buying this wonderful Slovenian creature.

Edith: I think those Beyer cans are the dt250 Jim.

Do not sell .Keep them all .Wink
Also . just do not acquire so many headphones where it becomes a tripping hazard. 
Heard about your back, buddy .
Hope you are feeling better. 
Oh and I have never heard of OllO. 
I must check them out . thanks dude. 
Also, working on getting a pair of LCD XC's .
Need a good closed back . I am annoying my girlfriend with the 800's. 
Confused
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 11:21
Happy Holidays fellow Canmates!

My wife surprised me for Christmas with some earbuds, but not for me they were for her!  Quite the shock since she does not like anything in or on her ears.  She got hooked while shopping on QVC and saw them demonstrated and bought them for herself and said I could give them to her for Christmas.

Anyway, they are the Bose Soundsport, wired for Apple devices.  They fit really comfortable for earbuds and they sound pretty descent.  She was blown away, saying she is hearing things they she had not heard before.  I told her, welcome to my world... LOL.  She will use them mostly for Netflix, movies, etc... but she did start listening to some music, none of my stuff of course.  Anyway, a little bit of a humorous twist for me.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 12:08
A very Merry Christmas to you and to all on our fun thread. 

Funny enough . I myself have been looking at IEMS. So far Noble audio, campfire audio (Alo), Westone and shure make ones I am very interested in. 
IEMS are such truth sayers about all your listening habits. 

Some are filthy expensive but man I am starting to warm up to the idea of getting a pair. 

Actually . The Campfire Audio COMET is 200 USD and looks pretty fair for the price. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 00:44
Originally posted by Prog-Hifi Prog-Hifi wrote:

I'm looking for another good pair of cans.
Akg 702 are on sale
hifiman 400i are lil more.

I currently own pair of sennheisers 598 hd ivory ,Which of those 2 is better upgrade.
I listen to alot of current prog vs 70s prog. in flac
I own fiio m7 dap ,With no amp my 598s dirve perfect.
Which of those 2 would drive better without amp ?
On fiio m7 for my lossless needs?

Hi there!
Personally I’d stay away from the AKG. It needs a lot of juice to sound its best ie a powerful amp is needed. Not so much with the Hifiman...but then again if you’re not going to biy an amp, I’d much rather go for the he400s, which can be driven by an iPhone.

Also, the K702 is like the hd800 which means that it favours the higher frequencies with a somewhat relentless peak somewhere around 7k. Add that to any recording that isn’t properly produced and you effectively get a VERY rough ride.
The AKG points out bad production.

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 07 2019 at 00:44
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 00:51
Oh and happy new year to all can aficionados in the Dolly den!

Maybe an inventory count is due? Or maybe not...this dane is still as barking mad as per usual.
Arhh what the hell:
Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee
Sennheiser HD580 (the original HD600!)
Hifiman HE500
Ollo S4
Ollo S4R (closedback)
AKG K7XX
AudioTechnica ATH-R70X
Ultrasone HFI-15g
KRK KNS8400
AKG Q701

Yup 10...but the Q701 is for sale
Anyway I’ve promised myself to lay off the can purchasing for a while. This is getting ridiculous. The plan is to play around with these for as long as I possibly can...and then sell off a couple or three depending on what I arrive at.

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 06:43

Oh and happy new year to all can aficionados in the Dolly den!

Maybe an inventory count is due? Or maybe not...this dane is still as barking mad as per usual.
Arhh what the hell:
Sennheiser HD58X Jubilee
Sennheiser HD580 (the original HD600!)
Hifiman HE500
Ollo S4
Ollo S4R (closedback)
AKG K7XX
AudioTechnica ATH-R70X
Ultrasone HFI-15g
KRK KNS8400
AKG Q701

Yup 10...but the Q701 is for sale
Anyway I’ve promised myself to lay off the can purchasing for a while. This is getting ridiculous. The plan is to play around with these for as long as I possibly can...and then sell off a couple or three depending on what I arrive at.
Have you considered growing a couple of extra heads David?

EDIT: Proof of my senility, if any was needed, is that I cracked the same joke back on page two of this thread

Edited by Mascodagama - January 07 2019 at 08:45
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 10:41

Don’t worry too much about senility. It works the other way around too y’know. You’ll be laughing like mad at all your favourite jokes completely oblivious to the fact that they’re your favourite jokes. That’s entertainment!

10 is too much though..and I feel a bit ashamed of myself. But I have no idea which can to sell other than the q701. They’re all too brilliant and unique in their own little ways for me to part with them (as of now anyway).
I hope I’ll change my mind about some of em. Just got the hd580 in through the door today and it’s an old gent, but man is it ever comfy. Like an old pair of slippers for the noggin. Sounds wonderful as well. Like an hd600..the can I sold previously to buying the hd58X

Oh well things will most likely even out in time..as long as I keep my promise and refrain from buying any new ones, which should be fairly easy. I honestly don’t feel like getting anymore. I ran the gamut.

Did you ever get yourself a planar Simon?

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2019 at 14:05
^ It's when you have ten headphone amps as well that you should really start to worry...then you will need six turntables, two CD players, a tuner and a tape deck to keep them all busy...

Still dithering and failing to buy myself some Hifimans. I became traumatised after finding a nice pair at a good price on eBay then I forgot to bid and some other b*****d bought them! But still looking out for a deal. Then there's also the fact that I'm spending a ridiculous amount of money on CDs.

God forbid I should ever get back into vinyl, I will have to sell my family.

Edited by Mascodagama - January 07 2019 at 14:07
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2019 at 00:57
Oh I know plenty of those folks too! Kinda scary when you think about it actually. I know one guy who has 8 different amps, close to 10 dacs, 4 cd players, 2 turntables and something like 40 headphones. Suffice to say that he lives in a house.

I get what you’re saying about spending too much dough on ze music and just a little while ago I would’ve been the same. Had it not been for that blasted back of mine, I would never have ventured down this rabbithole...but I did because I needed something new and exciting to add to my fave thang: music...and I ended up doubling the amount of time I actually listened to music. The cans actually provided me with an incentive to listen to more music....which is daft I know amd also the reason why I am stopping the crazy train now so as I don’t end up like a radioshack hermit married to an old phono cartridge.

Also I was buying waaaaay too many records at some point - far more than what I was actually able to listen to and revere. Those albums have now been spun!

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 08 2019 at 13:44

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 05:24
Much to my own surprise I am selling the HD58X
Weird as it actually is the best one I’ve heard of Sennheiser’s 6 series....but I also have the Audio Technica ath-r70x which sounds uncannily (hoho) like it...but with more air and it only weighs a little over 200 grams.
I don’t wan’t to own two headphones that sound so close to each other....aaaand I am keeping the hd580 precision simply because it is the most comfortable fullsize can I’ve ever tried, so I still have a little Sennheiser magic left.
When it sells along with the q701 I will effectively be down to 8 again!

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 15 2019 at 05:24

- Douglas Adams
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2019 at 09:26
^ Not the HD58X!
Image result for nooooooo image

We know what is going to happen, when those two sell, you'll get another pair Wink

Those ATH-R70X are nice...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 07:27
I have thought about that but I think I’m done now....(feels that way)

The audio technica will stay with me for a long time. They sound brilliant, reach loooow (unlike many an openback), have a sense of air and openness about them as well as taking comfort to the next level.

Btw Jim: if you at some point need to change the pads on your he400s, then I’d go for the focus pads that Hifiman makes. They’re semi pleather semi velour - although the parts touching your ears are velour...anyway what they effectively accomplish is that they make the headphone reach loooow without changing anything else about the sound. My friend tried it with his and I was really taken aback of just how well it works.

- Douglas Adams
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 07:12
Dave, Sounds like it is (for now) settled in your mind which is a good thing.  Now you can give the ones you do have proper attention in listening.  Sometimes I can't decide which ones I have that I want to listen to, usually I settle for which is convenient at the moment.

Thanks for recommendation, I have been thinking about replacement pads, more for a spare if something happened to the originals.  I like the concept of "pleather" below and velour on the ear.  I have seen the Focus pads on sites and some of the reviews indicate great comfort and listening, but some mentioned the adhesive of them coming apart.  Another pad I have been looking at are the Brainwavz "Sheepskin" XL pads.  

More than likely I will stick with the manufacturers Focus pads when the time comes since I like the result you mentioned.  Can't go wrong with a Great Dane's advice...Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 13>