Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cans! (Headphone thread inspired by Dolly Parton)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cans! (Headphone thread inspired by Dolly Parton)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 09:05
Well Dave. Love this post but lets not confuse 'sickness' with sheer passion. :)
I am a big believer that what you are doing is healthy and worth while...different headphone makes and technologies all have a unique sound signature to them! 
I love that you own so many headphones and I know as well as anyone that what you are doing there is an extreme point to it. :)
As we all know here by now is that EQ'ing is a death trap for distortion, sound anomalies and sheer unrealisim in one's music. 
Dave...keep all your headphones. Find a dedicated space for them and just keep them. I use 4 myself. I mostly do critical listening but when I want to have a less analytical time I choose a warmer and bass thumping headphone...the Sony mdr Z7's. Sure. They may be 800 bucks but for me they are worth every penny. I mean we're talking 70mm drivers here! They exude serious low end. 

Anyway. Awesome list! I can really identify with The ORB and ULVER out of your choices. 

So. What I would like to do is just list 5 albums with each headphone I currently own and adore. 
Also to note, most of my sources are older but they are ALL original sound recordings...no remasters or reissues. 

With HD 800's

Supertramp-- Breakfast In America. ( this is without question one of the most vivid and dynamic listening experiences I have ever had with this headphone. 
IQ---Ever ( Truth Serum for how well a snare drum pop can sound. Just listen to the Darkest Hour. :)
APP-- Turn Of A Friendly Card ( you could really site Alan's entire catalog for testing out your gear, but i love this one. Most headphones fail miserably with this album because of the PRAT (pace rythem attack timing.) in other words...you need a quick headphone and a headphone that can gather detail like no one's business. 
Tears For Fears--Sowing The Seeds of Love. ( Again. It is PRAT, but it is also timbre and vibrancy of all instruments played mainly the brass sections. Most times Horns in general don't sound real. However, my 800's fix that for me. 
Depeche Mode-- Personal Jesus (maxi Single) Bass tightness and focus. It is all about the low end. The 800's can go pretty low. Most don't know that. 

Sony MDR Z7 (With Tube amp) 

Very simply. I am all about bass or low end retrieval. This is a very bass centric list because that is what tube amps and my z7's do best. 

1) Black Sabbath-- Master of Reality
2) Metallica-- Black Album. ( Where ever I may roam baby!!)
3) Arena--Immortal? ( Love Chosen. )
4) Genesis-- Trick of the tail. ( Squonk is a serious headshaker)  
5) Goblin ( Roller) 

Anyway. I could go on for days but I love sharing sonic feelings and results with my different headphone set ups. 

There is just so many types of listening to do. Audio gear is getting better and better. We are all so lucky to live in this time .
Raving and drooling I leaned on his neck with a screeeeeeeamm! ;)
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 17:46
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I have a sickness...I now have 8 again...

LOL As part of Nick's definition, perhaps a healthy obsession? 

Here are some of the albums I like to test drive or set a baseline with new headphones on.  

Queen - Night at the Opera
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Budgie - Bandolier
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet
PFM - Storia di un Minuto
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery (Toccata will go from so delicately quiet to an assault on the ears)
Something by Zeppelin or early Black Sabbath

Dave, now I am thinking about those damn Beyerdynamic DT990s again.  Did you get the Pro version?

Thinking about going DAC on my laptop tonight, I have not done that in quite awhile.  Nothing expensive, just a Soundblaster E1 that I got cheap a few years ago.  Mostly got it for the stand alone headphone amp which it does an OK job of, but the DAC out of the computer it does a really nice job with its software control panel with a good number of options to play with.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 18:33
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

I have a sickness...I now have 8 again...

LOL As part of Nick's definition, perhaps a healthy obsession? 

Here are some of the albums I like to test drive or set a baseline with new headphones on.  

Queen - Night at the Opera
Dave Brubeck - Time Out
Budgie - Bandolier
Royal Philharmonic Orchestra - Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet
PFM - Storia di un Minuto
ELP - Brain Salad Surgery (Toccata will go from so delicately quiet to an assault on the ears)
Something by Zeppelin or early Black Sabbath

Dave, now I am thinking about those damn Beyerdynamic DT990s again.  Did you get the Pro version?

Thinking about going DAC on my laptop tonight, I have not done that in quite awhile.  Nothing expensive, just a Soundblaster E1 that I got cheap a few years ago.  Mostly got it for the stand alone headphone amp which it does an OK job of, but the DAC out of the computer it does a really nice job with its software control panel with a good number of options to play with.

those are all great recordings to enjoy through headphones, especially the Queen one. Wink
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2018 at 05:46
Having just got the KC - Live in Mexico 2017, 3 CDs and Blu ray footage, was trying to find what headphones Fripp was wearing.  It looks to be some type of Berdynamics.  Also found where Mel Collins of the band uses Senns and Berdynamics.  

Big photo paste craptcha test...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 04:02
Funny how that goes Nick. If I were to do a list today I would most likely opt for different albums...and perhaps include the real title of that Dzyan album that I always seem to misremember the name of: Time Machine and/or the 1975 masterpiece Electric Silence both of which render acoustic instruments in a highly infatuating manner per my ears:)

I indeed got the pro version Jim - though a special edition in all black and with a straight 3 m cable. Those piggy tails really grind my gears...but then again I tend to move around when I listen to music and those cables get caught on chairs and tables...and suddenly you're without headphones!!! Tadahh! Any normal music fan out there, sitting down for the session, will most likely not give a damn about this.

Oh yeah...um...I've found my holy grail of dynamic headphones! It's called the S4 from a Slovenian company named Ollo. The frequency response is flat! Like pancake flat. I've never seen or heard anything similar in cans....and I thought neutral meant boring sound!
Not at all! What neutrality actually provides you with is heaps of detail - detail I think is masked in coloured cans ie certain boosted areas masks other small frequensies to the human ear. Sounds mad...but only until you listen to the Ollo.
It is without a doubt the most naturally detailed headphone I've ever tried....and it does hip hop and similar heavy bass genres brilliantly as well. Mostly becaue it is neutral and if the mix is bassy then the Ollo will play it...and it reaches looow too. Other supposedly neutral cans often boost the mids and highs in order to better locate mistakes in the mix..which then in turn masks the bass and makes it sound less than neutral in quantity. Again this all becomes very apparent when you listen to the S4.

Arrghh nuts! I need to sell some cans so I can justify buying this wonderful Slovenian creature.

Edith: I think those Beyer cans are the dt250 Jim.

Edited by Guldbamsen - November 10 2018 at 04:05
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Prog-Hifi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-Hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 20:34
I'm looking for another good pair of cans.
Akg 702 are on sale
hifiman 400i are lil more.

I currently own pair of sennheisers 598 hd ivory ,Which of those 2 is better upgrade.
I listen to alot of current prog vs 70s prog. in flac
I own fiio m7 dap ,With no amp my 598s dirve perfect.
Which of those 2 would drive better without amp ?
On fiio m7 for my lossless needs?

Prog-Hifi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-Hifi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 20:35
i read in other thread 702 r like puring nougat in your ear canal but i also heard hifi400i r good also
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2018 at 22:22

Funny how that goes Nick. If I were to do a list today I would most likely opt for different albums...and perhaps include the real title of that Dzyan album that I always seem to misremember the name of: Time Machine and/or the 1975 masterpiece Electric Silence both of which render acoustic instruments in a highly infatuating manner per my ears:)

I indeed got the pro version Jim - though a special edition in all black and with a straight 3 m cable. Those piggy tails really grind my gears...but then again I tend to move around when I listen to music and those cables get caught on chairs and tables...and suddenly you're without headphones!!! Tadahh! Any normal music fan out there, sitting down for the session, will most likely not give a damn about this.

Oh yeah...um...I've found my holy grail of dynamic headphones! It's called the S4 from a Slovenian company named Ollo. The frequency response is flat! Like pancake flat. I've never seen or heard anything similar in cans....and I thought neutral meant boring sound!
Not at all! What neutrality actually provides you with is heaps of detail - detail I think is masked in coloured cans ie certain boosted areas masks other small frequensies to the human ear. Sounds mad...but only until you listen to the Ollo.
It is without a doubt the most naturally detailed headphone I've ever tried....and it does hip hop and similar heavy bass genres brilliantly as well. Mostly becaue it is neutral and if the mix is bassy then the Ollo will play it...and it reaches looow too. Other supposedly neutral cans often boost the mids and highs in order to better locate mistakes in the mix..which then in turn masks the bass and makes it sound less than neutral in quantity. Again this all becomes very apparent when you listen to the S4.

Arrghh nuts! I need to sell some cans so I can justify buying this wonderful Slovenian creature.

Edith: I think those Beyer cans are the dt250 Jim.

Do not sell .Keep them all .Wink
Also . just do not acquire so many headphones where it becomes a tripping hazard. 
Heard about your back, buddy .
Hope you are feeling better. 
Oh and I have never heard of OllO. 
I must check them out . thanks dude. 
Also, working on getting a pair of LCD XC's .
Need a good closed back . I am annoying my girlfriend with the 800's. 
Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic