Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cans! (Headphone thread inspired by Dolly Parton)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cans! (Headphone thread inspired by Dolly Parton)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 13:13
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Though now that I think of it...it’s been a while since we last saw Dolly in a great movie role
She’s the obvious pick for the HE-500 methinks.

Btw I recently sold my (second) HE-400. I actually thought about you Simon but I had an old friend pop by for New Year’s and he basically fell in love with it. Too bad there’s a big ocean in between the two of us. I would’ve loved dropping them off at your doorstep at a hefty discount (perhaps with a few Danish brewskis a la Mikkeler to shoot the breeze with).
Oh well. At least I get a weekly phonecall from my friend thanking me so much for letting him buy my headphone. Just before I logged in I was actually on the phone with him...and wouldn’t you know..he ended by telling me just how fecking awesome Needlepoint’s Aimless Mary sounded over his new cans

Oh and Simon? I gather you’re still rocking your Sennheisers. I am curious. Do you use a headphone amp?
Thanks for the kind thoughts! I’m still (almost) a headphone-monogamist, but great Danes bearing cans (audio or beer - both is even better) will always be welcomed at my doorstep. Your friend is a lucky fellow.

I have a now non-functional Sugden headphone amp that used to give good service with the Sennheisers. Then I broke it, had it 'fixed', and shortly afterwards it shorted out and fragged the (very expensive) integrated amp it was looped into...AAAARGH. Damn thing has been in a cupboard ever since. I actually nearly took a hammer to it.

And I still need to catch up with that Needlepoint album. Now when it comes to the lovely sounds of Norway, what is currently rocking my world is the two new live sets from Elephant9.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 14:41
Hah I feel the exact same way about people dropping by with brew..Danes, Brits, Swedes or my peeps from Botswana

Fiddlesticks about your Sudgen amp. I really mean that. I’ve seen a couple of those badboys and they’re quite simply stunning pieces of engineering. Handbuilt as well I believe.

Anyway I wouldn’t fuss too much about amps if your preference is solid state aka not something bearing tubes. I bought the aforementioned Schiit Magni Heresy and it sounds the same as the ones found in my dap and iPhone. It just has the power to turn any headphone into a small concert. I believe I paid a little over a hundred dollars for it over Schiit’s EU branching.
But...you own two Sennies. Have you ever thought about a tube amp? The Valhalla 2 I have is brilliant with Sennheisers. Unlike old school tube amps it has a somewhat low output impedance, which basically just means that you get a much cleaner sound. With those old tube amps one often gets something refered to as an impedance hump in the bass...which makes the headphone warmer and bassier, but you also get mud and distortion down below, which is something I could never get along with. In fact, the Valhalla 2 that I bought was the only tube amp I’d heard that I liked.
Also extremely cosy when night falls and you sit around in the orangy aura of glowing bulbs

I added Elephant9 to my AOTY list but truth be told; I haven’t received them yet. I just know my Norwegian elephants by now
The two albums Aimless Mary and The Diary Of Robert Reverie from Needlepoint are honestly some of the best Canterbury albums I’ve heard from modern times. They not only nail the feel and true sense of jam that tends to come with some of my favourite old Canterbury classics, they additionally wrap it in a delicious in-studio live dressing that really gets my juices going. If you dig your Caravan, Softs and Hatfield chances are you’ll love these albums
I certainly do.

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 24 2020 at 14:42
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2020 at 16:33

José: How’s it going my man? Those look positively stunning and no I wouldn’t mind owning one myself...but I have this thing for food, so they’re basically out of my pricerange..just like the equally if not even more stunning VIVA amps
http://vivaaudio.com/en/products/egoista-845/

Nick: I’ve never tried that Audeze but have mostly heard good to great things about it. Seems a tad on the heavy side though, but then again if one is lying on a sofa or merely sitting in a comfy chair with a headrest, my point is moot
I have read a lot about Campfire IEMs but I have never tried them either. Ever since getting the Audiofly AF1120 I have stopped caring about other IEMs. They’re just that brilliant.

Now for a little madness, be warned.
It’s actually funny you mentioned your 800, because I decided to trade my LCD-2C for a mint one. I thought and still think the Sundara is a better headphone and couldn’t quite justify owning both - even if they sound completely different. Just something about the way the Audeze almost falls off a cliff in the mids that rob guitars and vocals of their natural bite.
Anyway I’d only ever listened to the 800 in testing conditions as well as a few sessions on the side and thought I’d give it a whirl now that’d gotten myself a tube amp. I was pleasantly surprised..very much so in fact! So much so that I completely neglected to listen to any other can for about a week or two
Then I popped on the 600 (I’d sold the HD58X because I’m mad and wanted something with a little higher ohms for ze tubes) and found myself completely in love...and ended up selling it’s upgrade brother.
Then I bought the R70x and the HD660s yet again just because I got a lot of dough for the 800 and well that was already intended for headphones and yaddayaddayadda
Truth of the matter is that I have gone through quite a few cans since I last posted here (the above mentioned plus K240, K245 and the HE400 (again!))..and then I came across an HE500 up for sale in Romania of all places and ended up buying it. Oh boy am I ever glad I did! How I ever managed to part with it in the first place is beyond me. The only other headphone I’ve heard that I like more is the HE6
Right there and then I decided that I’d rather listen to the Hifiman than any other of my cans...and then sold off all my Sennheisers, the Sundara (what is this madness?!?!!), HE400 as well as the AKGs.
So right this minute I only own the HE500?

Nahh not exactly
I soon realised the error of my ways..and indeed also why it was that I sold the Hifiman the first time around. It’s not exactly a light can. Sure it’s very comfy when you’re sitting or lying down...but I’m a dancer and an arsemover of the more silly kind, which can present some problems when you’re wearing half a kilo of planar goodness. It’s also a hot experience during the summer..so long story short, I “needed” something cooler and lighter for warm weather and general music aerobics and remembered that the only real headphones I’ve ever been able to wear comfortably in the summer, well those are AKGs. The first time owning the HE500 I also had the Q701 and a Sennie. I almost exclusively wore the AKG that summer.
So yeah I got the K712 first. Wowza!!! ‘Damn this is one brilliant headphone!!!....have I just forgotten how good these AKGs sound or what is going on here?!?’
He then proceeds to buy the K7XX on sale off of the EU branching of Drop. Same thing happens and he wonders why that is?
‘Well...errr..just to be completely scientific about this conundrum, I’d better get some more of these AKGs in order to get to the bottom of...err yeah why they indeed are this brilliant!...and perhaps even moreso, and of course just to be a little rational about all of this, to get them side by side in order to find out which one I dig the most and just hang onto it.’
He buys the K612 as well as the K702 half-expecting at least one of them to be too bright.
‘What is happening?! I really dig these as well!!! How on earth am I supposed to chose between these? They all sound different..like in different tunings...not because one is blue and another one is orangy..nahh they genuinely all have their own tuning...hmmmm well why not keep em all then?’

So yup, Nil Novi Sub Sole
My inventory:
Hifiman HE500 (Katjing machine)
AKG K702 (Brightest of the AKG bunch but wonderful with great recordings)
AKG K612 (Neutral with an ethereal touch to the highs. Deep bass is impressive for an (any!) openback)
AKG K712 (Warmish and highly enticing signature with lots of detail. More bass than the above two)
AKG K7XX (Mr warm aka Funkadelic swag and Ivan Basso collides)
AKG K371 (Sole closedback I own, but it’s a real humdinger! Harman response curve is really quite delicious when done right)

My Audio Technica ATH-R70x is up for sale at the moment, but I am seriously pondering not letting it go Why would I? (Hmmm maybe because you own 6 other cans??)

What more? Sure I ordered a Schiit Magni Heresy in late November of last year and have still to receive it. Hell it’s not even in the mail yet. That’s what I get for preordering
Anyways that little powerhouse will effectively power all and anything I care to throw at it, which is neat considering the price tag. And to think that most other amps out there, including ones that cost 20-30 times as much, measure considerably worse...and well I end up with yet another vague justification for buying somethiny that I originally ordered because I needed some power for my HE500. I had no confidence in the Valhalla pushing the Hifiman to satisfactory listening levels..yet when the headphone arrived and I for the 4th time had gotten a delay on the amp, my only choice was to go with the tubes...and it went unlike anything I’d imagined. In high gain ca 12 o clock I am rocking out! Even for quiet albums I am never past 1:30.
Oh well I am sort of looking forward to the little Schiit anyways. It’ll be nice to have a solid state option for the HE500 as well

Those Viva are pretty......You should buy one. Food is overrated, I've read if you eat food you can get fat and heart disease and cholesterol and the runs. There is plenty of free food in the garbage cans.

Oooo nice..Shiit make some nice chit! Very affordable too........I'm saving my money right now for a new turntable, hoping for a summer time purchase, we will see!

Edited by Catcher10 - January 24 2020 at 16:37
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 08:30
Food is one of my favourite things dude! If I decided to go for an ascethic month foodwise I’d probably use the money on something else entirely. A trip to India or the Amazon would be brilliant

Yep Schiit is making some killer gear for cheap...at least compared to the competition. Speaking of turntables they recently made one called the Sol. Very much a niche product directed at real TT guys that know how and dig fiddling around with calibration and such actionpacked delights.
What are you looking at José? I sure hope it isn’t one of those huge metal blocks that weigh 250 pounds...at least not for your back’s sake

Btw I made the critical mistake here the other night and put on the R70x. Yup shouldn’t have done that.
It’s no longer for sale and I effectively own 7 headphones.

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 25 2020 at 08:31
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 11:47

Food is one of my favourite things dude! If I decided to go for an ascethic month foodwise I’d probably use the money on something else entirely. A trip to India or the Amazon would be brilliant

Yep Schiit is making some killer gear for cheap...at least compared to the competition. Speaking of turntables they recently made one called the Sol. Very much a niche product directed at real TT guys that know how and dig fiddling around with calibration and such actionpacked delights.
What are you looking at José? I sure hope it isn’t one of those huge metal blocks that weigh 250 pounds...at least not for your back’s sake

Btw I made the critical mistake here the other night and put on the R70x. Yup shouldn’t have done that.
It’s no longer for sale and I effectively own 7 headphones.

On my short list of TT's right now would be: Music Hall 11.1, if I can't muster that money then the 9.1 is doable. Also the Project Xtension 10 Evo is a killer table.

7 is a lucky number.....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 12:01
Hey man that Xtension 10 Evo is positively cheap compared to the Music Hall
Or maybe that’s just because I live in Europe...
They both look stunning and I really dig the functionality of the Music Hall design. Everything is directed at minimising distortion and keeping things nice and stable. Said another way, nothing on it screams too cool for school simply because it looks like it’s all business
Seven is a killer movie, literally!
But yeah I’ve always liked the number and how it feels like in the mouth, both in Danish and English

- Douglas Adams
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 12:05
My personal favourites are a set of AKG headphones that I've had for about 40 years and they're still working perfectly. They're identical to those in the picture below. Smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2020 at 12:17
Ahh the good old K240
That thing is just awesome...with the original leather pads mind you. I tried on the velours and they messed up the sound. Since then owned it again from new, and I gotta say that it is a very very good sounding headphone, especially for the price it goes for these days.
Our in-house space cadet, Uwe (Rivertree) also rocks the K240 and has done for a very long time as well.

- Douglas Adams
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 14:00
Back in Dollyland!  I have sort been out of the headphone world for a bit (except with what I already had).

^Speaking of the AKG240, I have recently become interested in trying a semi-open headphone to get the best of both worlds and the AKG240 seems to be a good place to start.  I do see where there is the original and a MKII version.  Have not dove into the differences yet but plan to.  Both seem to get great reviews.

Dave, I don't remember from previous posts here all those AKG models being in your inventory, sounds like you are on a modest roll again Big smile which seems to be starting in me again.  Did you ever get your Schiit yet?
Was also curious what that Audio Technica R70x you and Jose mentioned sounded like since I have only heard ATs closed back cans.

On a whim when the wife wanted something via Amazon I decided to throw in a toy for me, a hybrid tube headphone/speaker amp.  The Fosi T20 with bluetooth input.  It is a class D amp but it sounds pretty dadgum good for a budget type tube amp.  I just ordered a pair of USA GE5654 tubes, which should give a mo betta sound, to replace the China 6j4 tubes.  Can't wait!

Good to be back in the fold of Dollyland again...

Edited by AEProgman - February 14 2020 at 14:01
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2020 at 15:39
Well I wanna comeback home to Dolly’s great cleavage of headphone use.

Great last few posts here and I’m so happy to identify with each and everyone’s posts here, especially yours Dave!
There is a massive point to owning multiple headphones. I own 4 plus a pair of IEMS. There is a method to all the madness, especially getting into different kinds of audio set ups. I’m really into portable or transportable equipment.

For starters. IEMS. Love them now, but in the past I thought they were dangerous for ones hearing. I was wrong.
I recently bought a nice quality pair of IEMS and they’re the Campfire Audio Atlas’s.
These have the best mid bass and isolation I’ve ever heard on any headphone period. I’m shocked that a decent pair of IEMS can overtake most full sized headphones. :)

So, if one is willing to try the Campfire Atlas’s I think you’ll be blown away. Draw back is they’re wallet damaging, but when it comes to headphones and IEMS I’m willing to go the extra mile.
They are the most important part in any audio chain. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 07:23
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Back in Dollyland!  I have sort been out of the headphone world for a bit (except with what I already had).

^Speaking of the AKG240, I have recently become interested in trying a semi-open headphone to get the best of both worlds and the AKG240 seems to be a good place to start.  I do see where there is the original and a MKII version.  Have not dove into the differences yet but plan to.  Both seem to get great reviews.

Dave, I don't remember from previous posts here all those AKG models being in your inventory, sounds like you are on a modest roll again Big smile which seems to be starting in me again.  Did you ever get your Schiit yet?
Was also curious what that Audio Technica R70x you and Jose mentioned sounded like since I have only heard ATs closed back cans.

On a whim when the wife wanted something via Amazon I decided to throw in a toy for me, a hybrid tube headphone/speaker amp.  The Fosi T20 with bluetooth input.  It is a class D amp but it sounds pretty dadgum good for a budget type tube amp.  I just ordered a pair of USA GE5654 tubes, which should give a mo betta sound, to replace the China 6j4 tubes.  Can't wait!

Good to be back in the fold of Dollyland again...

Dolly beckons!

Heh for all intents and purposes I’ve still to fully grasp the difference between semi and fully open...mostly because 90% of all semis basically are just as open as an openback headphone. That goes for the K240 as well. The DT880 and T1 are the same. Only really ever heard two headphones on my head that I would qualify as semi-open, and that is because they employ some of the tricks of both worlds ie better isolation from outside noise but still sounds ‘open’ and for general sound quality; better bass extension/response (closedback) and less cup reverberations/more natural sound (openback)...and well both of those are listed as openbacks
The Ollo SR-4 and the Mrspeakers Aeon Flow Open (of better known as the AFO).

Anyway I still think you should order an AKG! They are dirtcheap for what you get in sound - it’s almost ridiculous. The K240 is basically the “original DT990” in that if you do a frequency response of both - they look almost identical. Seriously, it’s literally the same tuning...but soundwise they do actually differ. The AKG is less wolly in the bass to these ears and just seems to be more fluid and detailed..even if it is the older design.
I would equally recommend the K612 pro - actually I think I’d recommend it slightly over the K240 as it is more of a linear tuning. The overall soundquality is also slightly better to these ears..and furthermore it comes with velour pads aka it was tuned with those on. The k240 sounds best with the leather pads but is more comfy with velour...just doesn’t sound as good as with the original ones. Oh and btw mk l and mk ll are the same except for the colour scheme and the extra velour pads (which you should never use!! ).

I looked up the Fosi but could not find an output impedance for it, but I gather it is fairly low considering that it is a tube hybrid.
General rule of thumb is that the output impedance of your amp should be, at least, an 1/8 of your headphone’s (Planars don’t care though and don’t follow this rule!)
The K240 is a 55 ohm can whereas the K612 is a 120...but yeah probably doesn’t matter seeing as it isn’t an OTL amp.

As for myself? As much as I really dug all those AKGs...it was just too much for me I finally did what I was supposed to when I first got em..which was to find out which one I prefered! And I MARGINALLY prefer the K712 to the K612...or maybe I don’t?? Ahh nuts I am having second thoughts about selling it off(along with the K702 and K7XX)!

Yup I received my little Schiit...and found that I vastly prefered my HE500 over my Valhalla 2 and that it sounded exactly the same as my little Cowon dap...so I sold it to a good friend that needed an amp
It was a quick little amp visit indeed.
If you’re wondering about openback Audio Technicas, then the R70x should be on your shortlist. It is basically the company’s HD600/650 and rather sounds like a combination of both..with a clearer bottom end.

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 16 2020 at 07:38

- Douglas Adams
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2020 at 09:02
Still have a pair of Shure SRH440....use them mostly with the laptop. I have worn out the fake leather head piece on top....had to mend it with duct tape. ;0
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2020 at 07:36
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Well I wanna comeback home to Dolly’s great cleavage of headphone use.

Great last few posts here and I’m so happy to identify with each and everyone’s posts here, especially yours Dave!
There is a massive point to owning multiple headphones. I own 4 plus a pair of IEMS. There is a method to all the madness, especially getting into different kinds of audio set ups. I’m really into portable or transportable equipment.

For starters. IEMS. Love them now, but in the past I thought they were dangerous for ones hearing. I was wrong.
I recently bought a nice quality pair of IEMS and they’re the Campfire Audio Atlas’s.
These have the best mid bass and isolation I’ve ever heard on any headphone period. I’m shocked that a decent pair of IEMS can overtake most full sized headphones. :)

So, if one is willing to try the Campfire Atlas’s I think you’ll be blown away. Draw back is they’re wallet damaging, but when it comes to headphones and IEMS I’m willing to go the extra mile.
They are the most important part in any audio chain. :)

Hi Nick nice to see you round the Dolly den
Just out of curiosity: what other cans do you currently own beside the HD800 and LCD-XC?

I know what you mean regarding iems...mostly because I was very close to damaging my own hearing when I first got a pair of SE215 from Shure. I had to accustom myself to the increased soundproofing before I could gauge what kind of volume level I was at. The experience, coming directly from earbuds, was however a quick learning curve...mostly because I very quickly became aware of just how LOUD the music was.
Still rocking my Audioflys and have no real interest in replacing them.

Currently rocking the HE500, R70x, K712 as well as my sole closedback the K371.

Oh and btw Jim! How does your new Fosi sound?? I am a bit curious
I remember when I first got the Valhalla 2. Damn I needed to burn in the old upstairs compartment...mostly because I was so used to a crystal clear sound. What I heard and still hear is that transients and the individual decay of specific sounds sort of got sprinkled with a little mescalin. Hah, that actually still works as a metaphor! It is truly as if the distortion that one gets from the tubes (which is the point!) adds this fiery shimmering aura to the music. Luckily so NOT in the bass...which is what I am used to hearing over OTL amps. Not with the Valhalla though
Anyway just a little curious as to what you hear over the tubes.

Though if I’m being completely honest here...some of the sound quality one gets from tube amplifiers probably resides in actually looking at the orangy glow of said amp...as well as the perceived warmth this lends to the recording.

- Douglas Adams
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2020 at 08:43
^ The Fosi T20 output is rated at 4 ohms at 50W per channel.  I was mildly surprised to find that they are rated to drive 16 to 64 ohm headphones, but everything I have is below that.  The chip set in it is a TI TPA3116D2.  The tubes it came with are China 6J4.  What was most amazing is that is a very quiet amp, no tube noise, hiss, or pops...nice!

To me the amp delivers more punch and slightly warmer tones (and maybe a very tad of distortion, but very clear and detailed) to my normal listening lineup (either iPhone, Fiio X1, or Sony CD player).  However, when I changed the tubes to the USA GE5654 the sound was fuller and warmer, but I did have to crank the volume up slightly to achieve the same level of amplitude of the 6J4 tubes (more tinny is sound).  Also noticed that my H400s required a little more volume to drive vs the Audio-Technica ATH-M40X cans.  Only tried my Senns PXC-550 wired to it once with the old tubes, will have to re-visit that again. 

I do like the bass and treble adjustments also for your own preferences, they appear to work well so far.  You can find better tube amps out there and I did not do a ton of research on it, but more of an impulse fun buy for about $80.  Oh, and the Bluetooth feature, so far has worked well.  For some it may not have that upper end power that some crave, but this fits right into my sound level needs.  If your source volume is cranked and the amp cranked, more than enough.

Overall enjoying it and most likely will play with different tubes again down the line for different tones (may first switch back to original 6J4 as I only gave them 3 days LOL.  I also need to compare the amp to my old Soundblaster E1 portable headphone amp that I have not used in awhile.

I do recommend buying tubes from Riverstone Audio as they test every tube they have and they indicate they reject 60% of the tubes they test and they are all NOS (new old stock).  Plus they will match the pair that get shipped to you and offer a 3 year warranty.  May also be burned in some as well, not sure though.

Since this amp drives 16 to 64 ohm headphones, I may be leaning towards the AKG240.  Going to test drive some locally this week and yes Dave the AKGs are dirt cheap now!

Looks like Dolly is up to her old tricks again....
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 02:27
Damn it Jim....all this talk about tube amps and your new hybrid..well I am beginning to miss my little Vali...and am furthermore rather interested in how it sounds with my HE500
That would also lead to 2 set-ups: one with my Rotel cd player and Valhalla as well as one with my dap and (second!) Vali
Maybe set up a bedroom tube for late night listening sessions...which also seems to be the moments where I find myself reaching for the easy to navigate dap..over having to flip through cd’s.

I know how that goes btw...changing up tubes after a couple of days..well just because you’re excited and all that.
Thing is, some times merely changing something visually can make a great change in how we perceive the music. That really hit home when I tried all those blindtests.
Anyways long story short: I recently listened to my old Vali which I’d sold off to a friend of mine (not the guy that bought the Heresy though)...and much to my surprise I found myself vastly prefering the original Russian tubes over the “better” and pricier tube I’d bought from TAD...which was the polar opposite experience of when I owned it myself
Just a friendly reminder not to throw too much dough at ridiculously pricey lightbulbs

I have a similar shop here in Denmark which is the same way with returns and general service. Very very cool when dealing with tubes...which can be unreliable.

- Douglas Adams
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2020 at 07:00

Image result for dammit jim

LOL
Yeah, I agree, the visual stimulation does enhance the listening experience whether it actually is noticeable or not (those damn blue LEDs under the tubes).  I will probably find out later that the China 6J4 tubes sound just as good or better.  I think all the reviews indicating noticeable differences when modifying it influence your listening also, you just want to believe you made it better.  Still getting used to it and time will tell.

Oh, just got the AKG K240 (only $69, crazy).  Only a few listens thus far, but so far sounds pretty good, but still need to listen more and doing a break in period also (another debatable theory from what I have read), figure it can't hurt.

May have settle back and listen with a beer....
Image result for dammit jim

Edited by AEProgman - February 20 2020 at 07:03
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2020 at 05:57

Star Trek lives on while others, like myself, are using the force!

Congratulations on your new AKG btw. It’s one of those headphones that combine comfort with a presentation that just seems to make all and every genre of music flow. It’s certainly not the last word on detail retrieval or luxury components...but you really don’t need either of those attributes to make music sing imho.
Details seem to be one of the traits most headphone enthusiast look for when ‘upgrading’ to new cans...yet most of the time they end up confusing more treble with added detail. A linear aka neutral tuning will yield far more of the recording than say one with extra energy on top.
It is however a little confusing. When I first sat down with my Sundara I was certain that it was far more detailed than my HD600....and it was...though only in the bass (low bass)...but where most music unfolds, the midrange, the 600 easily picked up more information than the modern planar.
I’ve tried the same thing with HD600 vs T1 and the Senny again came out on top.

The more time I’ve spent in this mad hobby the more I’ve come to understand ‘upgrades’. Most of the time one is merely paying for more luxurious materials that ultimately end up making the headphone heavier. Often the tuning is more “hi-fi” than neutral which doesn’t make any sense as hi-fi means high fidelity which in essence means ‘as close to the recording as possible’...but yeah hi-fi these days is more of a flavour than what the words actually mean.
...and who in their right mind looks at themselves whilst listening to music? ‘Oh yeah that über-nice wood ZMF just sounds so much better when I’m in a position to look at it whilst listening! The extra 250 grams of weight is really helping me be aware of the fact that I’m wearing a true purveyor of sound.’

Anyway just a word of caution to all those new to this hobby: don’t necessarily expect improved sound quality just because you’re throwing more money at your new headphone...expect more (luxurious) mass and a ‘different sound’ to what you already have..and you’re good to go

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 21 2020 at 05:58

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2020 at 04:36
I spent yesterday evening with my friend’s K240 on the old cabeza and damn near ordered one off of Thomann after a couple of hours
I went through just about every genre I could think of and was yet again amazed at what this old AKG can do. Combined with the light weight and additional comfort that usually goes together with that, you end up with a can that not only plays all kinds of musics effortlessly..but also one that has a habit of disappearing on one’s head. It’s sooo comfy.
He borrowed my R70x for the evening and was just as blown away. He however ended up ordering one for himself
So in a little while he’ll own 3 headphones!!! Two of them because I dropped by and poisoned his mind

What else? Oh yeah I got the Heresy back again. It’s former owner bought a dac/amp combo with a mic thingy for games instead...and well sold it back to me.
Again I genuinely can’t hear a difference between it and all the other solid state gear I own...BUT somehow it feels nice to have something that is made for thirsty low-impedance headphones like fx the Hifiman.
The best part of the amp though is it’s stealthy and slightly sexy Sith looks...and I absolutely adore the fact that one actually can buy an amp without a horrendous babyblue led light Nahh it continues with the Sith colour scheme and glows like a ruby red diamond.

Hmmm...it’d be fun to hook up a K240 to it...he says again contemplating another round with the old master

- Douglas Adams
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2020 at 13:00
Headphones I am looking for a pair can someone recommend a pairs one for long listening and one for out door use please   
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 01:11
^I take it you’re looking for something closed-back ie a headphone that doesn’t let outside noise in and doesn’t play your tunes to your neighbour on the parkbench?
In any case I’d recommend the AKG K371
I own it myself and can testify to it’s wonderful sound as well as it being extremely comfortable. You can literally wear this thing all day.

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>