Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEditing programs recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Editing programs recommendations?
    Posted: June 26 2017 at 21:32
Is there any program you could recommend for editing music. Mostly what I do is fade in or fade out after downloading from my CD's so it works better if I listen to the songs isolated from the rest of the album (in the cases of songs that have no pause between them). Sometimes I may want to paste them or so. Very simple things, actually, but the program I have been using (it's from Nero, actually) often adds a slight pause that sounds like a click at the part where the fade begins, or where the two tracks are pasted togheter, when I'm using MP3 or AAC (I think it would work just fine with WAV, though).
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 03:23
Audacity. It's a totally free, open source, cross-platform piece of software for multi-track recording and editing. It's been around for years, is continually developed and improved, has been bundled as the program of choice with a number of retail vinyl/cassette to mp3 USB-connected archive machines (I have an old ION one), has an excellent on line manual, and will do pretty much anything you could possibly want to do with an audio file (you'll need to install some plug-ins to get the full functionality though - such as the Lame encoder and FFmpeg plug in, but full instructions are readily available on line). For a cheap but very effective paid-for program try various offerings from Magix, such as Sound Forge Audio Studio 10, Magix MP3 deluxe, or Magix Audio & Music Lab Premium...all usually available for under £30 apiece. I used their Audio Cleaning Lab program to do simplified audio restoration for many years until I moved over to Audacity, and always had great results with it (it too allows fade, cross fade etc to be added to your tracks before outputting the finished article(s)).
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2017 at 21:22
Thanks a lot, I'll check it out.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2017 at 09:32
Audacity is good for sound manipulation. I use it as a plugin for Reaper - www.reaper.fm 

Fade in / fade out is really best done in a DAW environment, ie. Reaper/ Cubase. Expensive. Steep learning curve. 

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2017 at 09:48
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Audacity is good for sound manipulation. I use it as a plugin for Reaper - www.reaper.fm 

Fade in / fade out is really best done in a DAW environment, ie. Reaper/ Cubase. Expensive. Steep learning curve. 
Whatever fade in / fade out effect you use, doesn't it do exactly the same thing in Audacity as it would in any DAW?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2017 at 09:53
With Reaper, you can set volume levels as well so both faded tracks end up at the same volume. However, the OP is probably not too bothered about that. Me being all "musician". Apologies. ;-)

Edited by Davesax1965 - July 01 2017 at 09:54

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2017 at 21:19
No, I really just want to do the most simple things. Just as long as I can do them in MP3 and AAC. Otherwise I can rip the songs in WAV, do whatever I want to do, and convert to a compressed one... but if I can skip that it's much better. By the way, I couldn't open AAC with Audacity, but it seems I can open MP3... yet there was something about only saving a project, but not changing the file. Still, I'll just try it out. However, if anyone wants to talk more complicated stuff on the thread, well, once a thread has been started, it usually ends up out of control of the OP and everyone just talk about what they are interested in (hopefully, at least related to the topic).
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 05:03
^ You need to install LAME to export mp3 from Audacity.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 06:04
One that I've been using since 2000 is GoldWave (costs $45; back in 2000 I think it was around $30). But like everyone else has said, Audacity is free. I have used Audacity off and on (mostly for transferring old cassettes into .wav format) but tend to use GoldWave because I've been using it for so long and some days I'm too grumpy to learn something new.

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2018 at 06:19
It's this simple in Reaper, which is (effectively) free.

The option to doing fade in like this (which is OK) is to use the automation and select volume, then control click to set control points..... move one of the control points to the start of the fade, drag it downwards to reduce the volume. 

The vid below is the simpler way of just dragging the fade in / fade out for an imported sound file. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2018 at 06:24
This is the alternative way, using envelopes, whch I find gives much better results. I can't recommend Reaper more highly, to be honest. Free download, if you use it more than (I think) 30 days, the non commercial licence is about $60. Try that with Cubase. 

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2018 at 07:46
I've recently been recording with Qtractor (a non-destructive DAW somewhat similar to Reaper or Ardour) since it plays nicer with JACK than Audacity does and also functions as a LADSPA and VST host. However, one of the techniques I frequently use for my noise stuff is slowing down the tempo of the track, then applying delay or echo, then slowing down again etc. I've found no way to do this in Qtractor, so I usually just grab the raw recordings and do all the editing in Audacity anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply