Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLarks Tongues vs. Starless + Bible Black

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: which King Crimson album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
40 [56.34%]
17 [23.94%]
13 [18.31%]
1 [1.41%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Larks Tongues vs. Starless + Bible Black
    Posted: February 27 2018 at 02:31
Starless is really great too, but Lark to me.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2018 at 02:25
Lark's.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Terra Australis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2017 at 03:17
Starless.
Because of Fracture! Immense...
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2017 at 01:16
Larks. I was never that keen on most of Palmer-James' lyrics no matter how much  enjoy hearing Wetton sing. Larks better organized as an album. Remove Fracture from SABB and it loses a lot of impetus. It's based around that classic piece.

Idle speculation moment. Imagine if Red had a studio version of SABB before Starless instead of the edited improv Providence. And RPJ fixed up some of his slightly dorky lyrics. Probably should have got Wetton writing lyrics. Oh well, too late now.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 21:17
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

I bought USA before I did Larks, and the studio version of Exiles was for a long time a big disappointment after the brilliant live version. Nowadays I can appreciate the more delicate approach, but I too prefer the live versions of pretty much all the tracks on Larks, particularly those found on USA and the Night Watch live album where much of the SABB material comes from.

Same here.  When I 1st heard LTIA I was bitterly disappointed in the songs compared to USA.  Nowadays I enjoy them both in different ways...USA/Night Watch are albums to crank up on loud speakers while LTIA is an album for headphones Wink

Something similar happened to me. I got a live album, called Collectible King Crimson Vol. 1 (it includes 2 concerts, one of them actually the same one from the USA album, but without edits nor overdubs) before I got Red. Now, the version of Starless from the concert that is not the same from USA became the one that made me love that song. Once I finally heard the studio version I was very dissapointed that it didn't include David Cross's violin (since he was credited to appear in the album, I thought this would be the song where he would have played). Also, the final climax of the song sounded rather weak compared to the guitars and the way Bruford played the drums on that particular live version.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 15:29
Too close can't decide. I look at those three albums as a three album set because I bought all three of them together back in the seventies. All three simply astonished me and I went out and bought USA the week after. Must have listened to them over a hundred times in that week.  
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 14:20
Most of Starless was a live album edited to have the crowd sound taken out. It's very good but LTIA is my favorite KC album.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 13:42
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

I bought USA before I did Larks, and the studio version of Exiles was for a long time a big disappointment after the brilliant live version. Nowadays I can appreciate the more delicate approach, but I too prefer the live versions of pretty much all the tracks on Larks, particularly those found on USA and the Night Watch live album where much of the SABB material comes from.

Same here.  When I 1st heard LTIA I was bitterly disappointed in the songs compared to USA.  Nowadays I enjoy them both in different ways...USA/Night Watch are albums to crank up on loud speakers while LTIA is an album for headphones Wink
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 11:12
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

"Fracture" and "Night Watch" almost convinced me for SAAB, but I went LTIA for this one.  Both are brilliant.

Agreed. I think LTIA is the more important and original of the two, as it clearly points the direction for both SABB and Red. Love "Night Watch" though. 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 10:11
"Fracture" and "Night Watch" almost convinced me for SAAB, but I went LTIA for this one.  Both are brilliant.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 07:15
Impossible to separate them with regards merit. Both are inimitable masterpieces in my book
thwok View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 06:59
Good God, how do you consider two of the greatest things in existence, and pick which one is better?  I'm going with STARLESS AND BIBLE BLACK.  It seems to me that with LARKS TONGUES IN ASPIC, the band took all these great, but disparate, ideas they had, and combined them into a few compositions.  As a result, the album occasionally meanders.  I slightly prefer STARLESS AND BIBLE, which balances shorter and longer songs.     
I am the funkiest man on the planet!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2017 at 17:34
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Too close, can't decide. Since I got The Great Deceiver boxset, I've grown to love Starless & Bible Black almost as much as Larks. Trio and the title track are two of the very best improvisations I have ever heard. Normally I would have picked Larks without hesitation but I've listened to S&BB sooo much lately.
Yes, 'Deceiver does a lovely job of promoting Starless', and the latter comes off as plain brilliant as a result. As for my vote, pick it.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
thebeastmustdie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 02:15
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

There's a song with that name in The Great Deceiver box set. Though I think it was just a short improv or something of the sort.

ah right... made me laugh anyway.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 23:34
way to close to call...IMHO!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 20:49
Originally posted by thebeastmustdie thebeastmustdie wrote:

ooh, tension. Starless has staged a mini-comeback...

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Shark dongs for me as well. It is my favourite Crimson album together with Lizard. Starless & Bible Black though contains their best tune in Fracture.

Shouldn't it be Shark's Lungs in Lemsip, or something like that?

wasnt that the Weird Al Yankovic parody version

There's a song with that name in The Great Deceiver box set. Though I think it was just a short improv or something of the sort.
thebeastmustdie View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 07:29
ooh, tension. Starless has staged a mini-comeback...

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Shark dongs for me as well. It is my favourite Crimson album together with Lizard. Starless & Bible Black though contains their best tune in Fracture.

Shouldn't it be Shark's Lungs in Lemsip, or something like that?

wasnt that the Weird Al Yankovic parody version
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2017 at 23:34

SABB was my first Crimso album and gets my vote.  Besides, I like the live versions of the Larks Tongues songs much better than the studio versions Wink

Mostly, I do like the live versions from Larks Tongues better too. Actually, I couldn't get into Larks part 1 until I heard the live version from the new line-up (the jazzy flute in the middle chaotic section really helps to round up the song, plus, it sounds nicely heavier). I don't really care for Book of Saturday in any version. Exiles is beautiful, but the live version from Ausbury Park (the same concert from the USA album, but I have that concert from Collectable King Crimson) is so much more powerful. Easy Money is also better live either from that same 70's line-up, or from the new one. However, even though they may sound heavier and stronger live, the duo The Talking Drum and Larks Tongues 2 sound better on their original studio versions... I feel the soft nuances are lost live, as well as the great interplay between Bruford and Muir (as well as the crazy playing of the later).

I think Larks has stronger material overall (SABB does have a few great tracks as well), but SABB has better sound and performance. In the end it's very close to a tie.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2017 at 20:57

SABB was my first Crimso album and gets my vote.  Besides, I like the live versions of the Larks Tongues songs much better than the studio versions Wink

Mostly, I do like the live versions from Larks Tongues better too. Actually, I couldn't get into Larks part 1 until I heard the live version from the new line-up (the jazzy flute in the middle chaotic section really helps to round up the song, plus, it sounds nicely heavier). I don't really care for Book of Saturday in any version. Exiles is beautiful, but the live version from Ausbury Park (the same concert from the USA album, but I have that concert from Collectable King Crimson) is so much more powerful. Easy Money is also better live either from that same 70's line-up, or from the new one. However, even though they may sound heavier and stronger live, the duo The Talking Drum and Larks Tongues 2 sound better on their original studio versions... I feel the soft nuances are lost live, as well as the great interplay between Bruford and Muir (as well as the crazy playing of the later).
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2017 at 11:09
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>