Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Italian Prog Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern Italian Prog Recommendations
    Posted: June 29 2017 at 03:09
Michael of the Italian Prog team here...So everyone knows there's plenty of classic Italian prog releases from the Seventies period, but what about the modern era (or let's say the Nineties onwards)? The modern Italian prog-rock scene has not only had many great comeback albums from the big names of the genre from that country from the vintage period, but more importantly there's also a ton of younger bands carrying on the flame and offering some completely thrilling and vital new works that deserve a lot more exposure and recognition.

Recently fellow Prog Archives member Cindy (Omphaloskepsis) and her husband asked what I considered to be the `best of the best’ modern Italian discs...which lead me to draw a blank and freeze up, instantly overwhelmed by such a request! I mean, I have no shortage of great titles that instantly come to mind, but the best of the best...?

So a new thread was proposed that could be anything from people listing their particular top 10-20 lists of modern Italian favourites, or highlighting particular standout releases of what they consider good examples of the classic RPI/Italian Prog sound in a modern setting.

Hopefully we might come a bit closer to working out what the important or special works have been over the last twenty or so years.

So please feel free to offer your selections, your thoughts and recommendations!
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 03:12
Band and album number one deserving of some fresh attention, and a bit of an essential title for those wanting a great modern Italian collection:

Band: GRAN TURISMO VELOCE:

Album: Di Carne, Di Anima
Year: 2011

Described perfectly by the Prog Archives own Jim (Finnforest) as “An infectious and exciting pollination of classic RPI and modern attitudes, GRAN TURISMO VELOCE is poised to make a huge splash with a wide variety of progressive rock tastes”. The group formed in 2008 in Grosseto, Tuscany, with the band taking their name from the famous Italian sportscar whose popularity spread throughout Europe in the 1970s, and the fact that in those years Italian progressive rock was doing the same. Soon the band was working with Loris Furlan of Lizard Records and their debut was released in the Spring of 2011.

On ` Di Carne, Di Anima’, the band, singing in Italian, took their influence from those 1970s prog bands and blended it with modern electronic, jazzy rock, and even some metal moods. Perfectly balancing the symphonic older style of classical piano bombast with a very grounded modern and melodic tougher sound, it remains a perfect recent Italian release for those who want to avoid a tired retro retread!

Those who heard this album upon its release predicted big things for the group, and sadly since then the buzz around them has gone a little quiet. Every now and then talks pops up of more progress having been made with new music, but nothing has really emerged just yet. Hopefully 2017 perhaps?

But for your listening pleasure, the first three tracks of the CD:

(that last one is a killer instrumental that perfectly captures that mix of old and new styles!)

Prog Archives band listing: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=6389
Prog Archives album listing: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=33311
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 03:38
^ I don't remember if I heard that one before. It sounds great! By the way, the videos don't appear, I'll leave here the links if anyone else isn't able to see them:
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 03:45
Cheers, Sam. I wonder why that is? I can see the videos on my end, and that's even on the computers at work that have just had all this new screwy software added on that seem to block every two pages!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 03:49
What a great idea for a thread MichaelApprove
It'd interesting to focus on some music for a change up in this mother.

Sure maybe I am far from being the right person to tell anyone which modern RPI albums are the "best" as I frequently have voiced the many problems I have with contemporary production and the whole sterility that comes with it.
Be that as it may I still know and love a fair few modern releases from the bootshaped country.
My two favourite acts right this minute are Homunculus Res (more Canterburian though) and Ingranaggi Della Valle. 

It will be interesting to see what other folks bring to the tableSmile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 04:08
If we're going outside of the RPI umbrella, like I already did (hoho), then I would like to highlight Ske's 1000 Autunni. Such a beautiful and unique little album. Love the quirky Canterbury feel of it as well.

Miles away from any classic prog bands we have Ephel Duath. Their 2003 release The Painter's Palette really made me open up to metal yet again. 'Wow is this even possible?' I believe I said to myself.

Also in the metallic vein though more enamoured with avant and bands such as Present and Univers Zero I give you ZU. Carboniferous is the bee's knees!

Oh and if one is looking for something truly progressive and unique sounding then I wholeheartedly recommend they go check out any of Claudio Milano's endeavours. He is one interesting cat.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 04:15
Not very familiar with the subgenre, but every year from 2011 to present has added one or more RPI-albums on my list. Here is my top 10:

1. Ingranaggi della Valle - Warm Spaced Blue
2. La Maschera di Cera - Le Porte del Domani
3. La Coscienza di Zeno - La Notte Anche di Giorno
4. Mario Cottarelli - Una Strana Commedia
5. Logos - L'Enigma della Vita
6. Maxophone - La Fabbrica delle Nuvole
7. Alphataurus - AttosecondO
8. Ingranaggi dela Valle - In Hoc Signo
9. Il Tempio delle Clessidre - Il-Lūdӗre
X. Avenoth - La Bocca della Verità

Some non-RPI recommendations from Italy:

Akt - Blemmebeya (5 stars), II (aka Binario, Eclectic)
Camelias Garden - You Have a Chance (Prog Folk, 5 stars)
Daal - Dances of the Drastic Navels (Eclectic)
Profusion - RewoToweR and Phersu (Eclectic)

Edited by someone_else - June 29 2017 at 08:09
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 04:24
Recent favourite of mine also frolicking in the old Canterbury organ sound:
Relateret billede

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 05:33
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Cheers, Sam. I wonder why that is? I can see the videos on my end, and that's even on the computers at work that have just had all this new screwy software added on that seem to block every two pages!
I actually can't see any video you post, I had to modify the links you posted to see them. Do the links I posted work for you?

Well, let's talk about RPI. Here's a selection of some of my favourite songs:

I'm sure I'll think of more Smile
Zeropikinz View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeropikinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 08:11
LOGOS
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 08:38
Yep, the links work here, just that they open up an outside screen to view them, Sam. Do the (TUBE) (/TUBE) links (replacing the ('s with ['s ) not show up on your end, mate?

Yep, these ones in particular have been very well received by lots of listeners it seems:

- Ingranaggi della Valle - Warm Spaced Blue
- La Maschera di Cera - Le Porte del Domani
- La Coscienza di Zeno - La Notte Anche di Giorno
- Ingranaggi dela Valle - In Hoc Signo
- Avenoth - La Bocca della Verità
- Logos - L'Enigma della Vita

So too the Winstons one!

There's actually a cool live DVD of the Winstons available where they perform the entire album, definitely very decent.
CaP View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 09:31
I'd add Yugen

Barock Project

Not a Good Sign

And Maurizio Di Tollo solo records. Maybe not fully prog, but very good music and wonderful lyrics imho

Edited by CaP - June 29 2017 at 09:34
E per tutti il dolore degli altri è un dolore a metà
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 11:16
Another great Italian band is "NOVA"...  One album included members of Brand X plus Phil Collins

Edited by noni - June 29 2017 at 11:17
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 11:26
Nova were indeed pretty cool but calling them 'modern' is perhaps a tad too far-fetched seeing as their last album was released nearly 40 years ago

- Douglas Adams
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 20:22
Nice thread to think about!

Besides those listed, maybe not the best of the best, but more food for fodder....

Höstsonaten
Egonon

@$^%&@$$@^*(&  craptcha!
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2017 at 21:49
La Maschera di Cera - Le Porte del Domani

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 04:40
That Egonon one....I am absolutely sure I don't actually have it! I know many people consider that to be an especially important recent one, I'll have to have a look on my shelves

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 04:46
Essential modern release number two!

Band: PROGENESI:

Album: L’Ulisse: L'Alfiere Nero
Year: 2013.

The band mix the instrumental dexterity of DFA, the rollicking stomp of P.F.M, the searing violin of Quella Vechio Locanda and Arti e Mestieri, with the playfulness of Fruupp, Genesis, ELP and Camel, all loaded with violin and keyboards aplenty. Despite the occasional darker flourishes, this is a truly uplifting and positively charged album, yet it's never too sweet or schmaltzy, rather it's dynamic and action packed, yet rarely bombastic and bloated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQHaI6pbRRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag2AsHS740w

Definitely one for P.F.M fans!

Prog Archives band link: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8130
Prog Archives album link: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=41729

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - June 30 2017 at 04:48
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 05:03
^ I heard it dozens of times and still think there's a lot to discover yet. It's quite pleasant on the surface but a close listen will reveal its subtle complexity and I find it very rewarding. I'm not even getting into the concept, I'm sure there's a reason for the movements that only the band knows.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 05:20
Same here, Sam, it's an instant `go-to' album if I can't settle and pick something else, and it's still just as exciting now as it was back then. Top notch playing and great compositions, and the nice vinyl length doesn't hurt either!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>