Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Italian Prog Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 05:54
Ske, Accordo Dei Contrari & Yugen would top my list.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 06:06
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

and also on an avant prog / chamber prog tip, I would give a big shout to Brezhnev Fun Club and Oteme.

The Ske album is actually one I run hot and cold on - sometimes love, other times it's a bit too much of a good thing - same way I feel about Anglagard.

Edited by Mascodagama - July 03 2017 at 06:08
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 06:35
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

and also on an avant prog / chamber prog tip, I would give a big shout to Brezhnev Fun Club and Oteme.

The Ske album is actually one I run hot and cold on - sometimes love, other times it's a bit too much of a good thing - same way I feel about Anglagard.

I'm hot and cold on Brezhnev Fun Club, I much prefer their 2nd album, Il Misantropo Felice, over the debut, L'Ondo Vertebrata, that everyone else seemed to rave about.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 06:38

I'm hot and cold on Brezhnev Fun Club, I much prefer their 2nd album, Il Misantropo Felice, over the debut, L'Ondo Vertebrata, that everyone else seemed to rave about.

I am with you on that!
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 18:56
Cheers for the tip-off about the Syncage album, folks!

Very looking forward to the new Accordo Dei Contrari one as well, loved their first few.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 20:11
Next modern Italian album recommendation:

Band: IL CERCHIO D'ORO

Album: Il Viaggio di Colombo
Year: 2008

Technically, Il Cerchio d'Oro are a vintage band! They formed back in 1974, but only released a handful of singles (many of which were in a disco style!) at the time, although a compilation on the Mellow Records label showed up that compiled both those and some badly recorded demos from the same era. But the first official ICdO album arrived in 2008, `Il Viaggio di Colombo', and it was well received by Italian prog fans, very much a textbook example of modern symphonic-styled Italian prog (with tons of lovely piano), but there was a nice bite to the electric guitars in parts too. The album cover looked a treat on vinyl, and it's possibly still their best release to date.

The band delivered a lovely and tasteful follow-up `Dedalo e Icaro' in 2013 that won them over more fans, and they're apparently releasing a new album very shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNH8kQRsw_Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUQiU8aokco

Prog Archives Band Page: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=4125
Prog Archives album page: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=20557
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2017 at 04:57
^ I searched for the Disco singles instead of listening to the album again LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2017 at 05:10
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ I searched for the Disco singles instead of listening to the album again LOL

You know, I was absolutely certain that I reviewed that early compilation many years ago, but I can't find anything here! I've definitely got the CD in my collection, maybe I should do a belated catch-up! I DEFINITELY remember I interviewed the band for the Archives many years back, would you have come across it in the past, Sam? I think it turned out pretty well because the band gave such superb responses: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=94313

OK, now that I look back on that interview, seems like I might have been thinking of the various mentions of that compilation and those early singles throughout it as opposed to posting an actual review!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2017 at 04:58
Band: MOOGG

Album: Le Ore I Giorni Gli Anni
Year: 2011

There’s a few Italian bands that have been active over the modern era that are influenced by the Canterbury sound (D.F.A, Homunculus Res and the Winstons instantly come to mind), and similarly, the inspirations of Mooog, formed in Brescia in 2003, range from seventies prog to jazz rock, from psychedelia to Canterbury. Their debut album in 2011 on the Mellow Records label, "Le ore i giorni gli anni" (The hours, the days, the years) instantly combined a love for bands such as Caravan and Hatfield and the North, as well as plenty of funky passages, strong melodic arrangements and a mostly upbeat air.

The band have just released a follow-up in 2016 entitled `Italian Luxury Style’ that is meant to be even better, but this is a fine and easy place to start if you want an addition to your modern collection of an Italian interpretation of the Canterbury sound that's very easy on the ear

(Although I have to admit, I’ve started noticing on my last several spins that a lot of the keyboard solos all sound very similar on it! Just my imagination?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDo_Ui_rYs0
(The great and infectious opener, instantly gives you an idea of what to expect on the disc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fNdGFzyUho
(I love this track, some darker and heavier moody moments, shows they’re not just some Canterbury `tribute’ act)

Prog Archives band link: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7734
Prog Archives album link: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=40069

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 05 2017 at 05:13
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 04:26
^ Never heard it before, really cool stuff! I'll leave here the Bandcamp link if anyone else is interested in listening/purchasing:
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 05:04
Sam, I will admit, the follow-up `Italian Luxury Style' from 2016 kind of wipes the floor with it (which is high praise, considering this debut is totally charming anyway!)! I'll post a review for it shortly, but it's much more varied, lots more instrumental passages, heaps of a Seventies fusion vibe as well. Really impressive stuff!

Would have likely ended up on my end of year best if I'd got to the disc that bit sooner!

Pretty sure it's also easily found on that same related Bandcamp page too, give it a spin!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 06 2017 at 05:05
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 05:15
Awesome, I'll give it a listen later! :)

By the way, looks like there's a problem with their page: shipping costs per CD get more expensive the more albums you buy :S
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 05:29
Oh no, hate that, or the default where the postage is the exact same cost of the music - always awesome if you're buying a vinyl LP!

Had you been planning on buying both of the Moogg discs?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 06:44
BAND: ACCORDO DEI CONTRARI

ALBUM: AdC
YEAR: 2014

Hailing from Bologna, Accordo dei Contrari have delivered four albums to date of frenetic fusion displays, each more ambitious and technically accomplished than the last. The debut self-titled work was reliable, the second `Kublai’, which would probably be the best place to start for most newcomers to the group, implemented more Canterbury jazz styles (as well as featuring contributions from Caravan/Hatfield and the North’s Richard Sinclair), but their third `AdC’ was their busiest and noisiest work up to that point, adding sophisticated classical flights, Post-Rock cinematic flavours, Rock in Opposition/Avant textures and ambient passages to truly offer no better definition of a `fusion' of styles!

Recorded over three days with only the slightest of overdubs, `AdC’ delivered never-ending musical eruptions effortlessly flowing from one seamless instrumental movement to the next and back, yet always remaining melodic and endlessly groovy. There were still little references to other Italian fusion acts like D.F.A, Arti e Mestieri, Perigeo and the Canterbury sounds from the previous album, as well as a general frantic Area-like attack overall, but the Accordo members were definitely forging their own path and had never sounded so tight and focused.

As mentioned by a few others on here, their latest `Violato Intatto’ has just come out too, so that should be well worth exploring.

Highly recommended for both heavier fusion and R.I.O/Avant fans!

Enjoy this opener from the album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX3ciYImEYI

Prog Archives band link: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2870
Prog Archives album link: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=45550
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 06:52
^^ I now get when sometimes shipping is more expensive than the CD: Bandcamp gets their cut from the CD/download price but not the shipping.

I considered until I noticed that, although I don't buy half the records I plan, there's just too much amazing music to choose from.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 11:45

I dig this to bits:

Just got this album today.   Thank you for the recommendation.   Enjoyed the Youtube clips.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 14:50
IL CERCHIO D'ORO new album will be called "Il Fuoco sotto la Cenere"
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2017 at 06:40
^ Love that album cover!

Not a new modern prog band, but I am rather fond of Delirium's 2009 - Il nome del Vento album.

cursed craptcha!!!!!!!!!!!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 00:31
Jim, that 2009 Delirium one `Il Nome del Vento' is fantastic...and it was also not only the very first Delirium album I ever heard and owned, but one of the very first Italian prog albums I truly get into! It was a blind-buy back at the time it was released, and I obsessed over it at the time!

Oddly I missed their most recent album from the last year, will need to catch up on that one.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 00:35
Next recommendation:

Band: LE PORTE NON APERTE

Album: Golem
Year: 2013

Le Porte non Aperte are a band that very much fly under the radar, despite the fact that they have performed at concerts with a range of Italian prog-music notables such as Il Bacio della Medusa, Osanna, Goad, Spettri and Il Tempio della Clessidre.

If you’re one of those listeners that finds many of the modern Italian discs a bit too clean and polished, there’s a good chance Le Porte non Aperte will be just the band you’re looking for! While there’s still plenty of ravishing piano, their debut album `Golem’ is quite unfancy in comparison to many new Italian discs, with the vocalist Sandro Parrinello delivering a grumbling and gravelly bellow of a darker croon, and there’s no end of huffing flute darting around dirty snarling guitars to sometimes remind of the first Biglietto per L‘Inferno album.

No second album so far, but let’s hope for a follow-up soon. Some will likely find the vocals a bit of a challenge, and the disc is probably overlong at 61 minutes, but we need more dirtier and tougher Italian bands like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Pdez38Gi_A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGmpmwG4l1U

Prog Archives artist page: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7889
Prog Archives album page: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=40714

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 09 2017 at 00:36
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>