Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Italian Prog Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 08:11
^^
I did indeed had some troubles getting into those vocals at first.
But after repeated listening I started liking them.

Not sure about the band status at all, they teased about a second album
quite a bit. But there was very little heard from them.

They posted a picture from the band in a studio not to long ago.
So there is hope for a second one!

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2017 at 09:46

A list of great albums I left off of my Top 20 list (for various reasons,
some being older, some I just forgot).

These ones deserve a special mentioning.

Eris Pluvia - Rings of earthly Light

One of the greatest albums of Pastoral Prog ever. Wonderful melodic folky stuff
with awesome atmoshpere.

LABIRINTO DI SPECCHI - Hanblecheya

Feat. Pholas Dactylus' front man Paolo Carelli on vocals (voice).
A mindblowin mix of 70s Prog and Psych with Post Rock and Electronics.

Jet Lag - Delusione Ottica

This one sounds like a lost classic from the 70s. And while that is said about many bands,
this time it's tottaly true.

Tale Cue - Voices Beyond My Curtain

I'm not to much in Neo Prog, but this one is just awesome. It falls or stays with getting into
the most peculiar vocal style of Laura Basla. Her haunted "Angst" ladden singing style
(in somewhat strange English) is not for everyone (I totally love it).

Il Paradiso degli Orchi  - Il Corponauta

A perfect mix of many influences old and new. Just a great listen.

Ezra Winston - Ancient Afternoons

Somehow this one doesn't get to much love here. I think it's one of the best Synph Prog
albums recorded after the 70s.

Nuova Era - Il Passo Del Soldato

An important band for new Italian Prog. I like this on the most, although it's slightly different
to their other albums.

DAAL- Dodecahedron

Very different from their normaly more electronic albums, this is dark bombastic 70s organ Prog.

Mad Fellaz - II

Perfect proggy Jazz Rock with great female vocals. Just a delight.

La Curva di Lesmo - La Curva di Lesmo

A joint effort of well known musicians and an album of great variety. Great cover art, great vocals,
just a great album.

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 01:08
H, I'm curious about that Eris Pluvia album, but definitely don't have it.

But speaking of pastoral modern Italian albums, I'm sure you would have picked up that `Les Châteaux de la Loire' disc by Ellesmere, which features the bass player from Taproban?

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=50792

I've got it but not nearly listened to it enough yet. Very special though!
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 01:44
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

H, I'm curious about that Eris Pluvia album, but definitely don't have it.

But speaking of pastoral modern Italian albums, I'm sure you would have picked up that `Les Châteaux de la Loire' disc by Ellesmere, which features the bass player from Taproban?

I can't recommend Eris Pluvia enough, maybe the best Italian Album from the 90s.
(their comeback albums are rather average)

I think Ellesmere was to "Ant Phillips" style (who is present I think)  for me when I checked it.

Wasn't it sung in French by the RRR vocalist?

I will check it again, thank you.

TheH

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 01:49
Hmmm, it's actually been a few months since I've listened to it and I honestly don't recall a second of music on it (other than remembering that I thought it was lovely! ), but you're probably very correct about the Anthony Phillips comparison. Pretty sure that one even had a vinyl release?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 01:52
Next album and band recommendation:

Band: IL GIARDINO ONIRICO

Album: Perigeo
Year: 2012

First impressions can be quite deceiving with this band! Not a classical Italian prog/RPI-sounding group, Il Giardino Onirico, formed in 2008, often fill their music on their debut `Perigeo’ from 2012 with drifting spacerock elements, a Riverside-like crunch of heavy riffing guitars and a strong Pink Floyd influence to the plentiful epic crisp guitar soloing. But careful listening also reveals no shortage of lavish alternating acoustic/electric passages, soaring symphonic synth themes and even moody spoken word passages, and the album is full of variety, colour and always remains highly melodic.

The group followed up their debut with a reworking of an early demo entitled `Complesso K’ that was equally as good, and there will likely be new music from them very soon. Both albums should also still be available on CD.

Definitely a very modern sounding band, Il Giardino Onirico will appeal to fans of the instrumental side of Riverside, later heavier Porcupine Tree era and Pink Floyd, with a touch of Italian prog fancy implemented in subtle ways!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yJuVCEOM4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz342L61kfE

Prog Archives artist page: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7647
Prog Archives album page: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=39705
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 02:08
^^

I really like this band, they add the exact right dose of heayness to their stuff.

I hope their new Album will be out very soon.

A song that will be on the new Album

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 08:42
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

I did indeed had some troubles getting into those vocals at first.
But after repeated listening I started liking them.
There's an almost Punk quality to the vocals, I'm liking it at first listen. Anyone else thought "Hoedown" was being played at the sixth minute of "Animale del Deserto"? :P
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 15:50
Something new from the past:

Acqua Fragile are back (with Lanzetti!), looking forward to that (October)

Edited by TheH - July 11 2017 at 15:50
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 09:09

I'm assuming AF will be performing in English on this one again, H?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 09:10
Next modern Italian prog recommendation:

Band: IL SEGNO DEL COMANDO:

Album: Il Segno del Comando
Year: 1997

Genova's Il Segno del Comando (The Sign of Command) take their name from a 1970's novel by Giussepe D'Agata and Italian TV series of the same title that dealt with occult matters, reincarnation and the supernatural. Formed in 1995 by musicians Mercy and Diego Banchero, the project came to the attention of Genova's own Black Widow Records, and with the addition of extra musicians, the 1997 debut self-titled album was recorded in two weeks on a shoestring budget.

The music is full of classical gothic atmosphere, spooky overwhelming arrangements, cinematic drama and eerie nightmare soundscapes that crawl under your skin. Complex lyrics based around a fascination of gothic literature and esoteric texts are a highlight, frequently contrasting the normality of everyday life with the mystery of the paranormal. The music is very organ driven, with plenty of use of Mellotron and analogue synths for an authentic vintage sound. The piano is frequently classical and theatrical based, bringing an important characteristic that many of the defining Italian bands featured. Folky acoustic guitar passages are reflective and thoughtful, while the grand electric solos can echo Antonio Bartoccetti (Antonius Rex/Jacula) and even CAMEL, heavy, but never enough to have the band confused for being a metal act. Lead vocalist Mercy has a deep, crooning, and intimidating delivery, and bassist Diego has a thick upfront Seventies prog sound that just dominates the album! Add in some psychedelic passages, modern electronic elements and a general wild, uninhibited and experimental approach to make the band truly stand out.

The band have offered three superb albums to date all up, with the second `Der Golem’ in 2002 adding a stronger touch of metal and a more lavish production, and the third in 2013 `Il Volto Verde’ introducing female vocals for a more prominent gothic sound, but the one that will likely be of the most interest to classic Italian prog fans is this self-titled debut, where the acid-rock guitar sound and rawer production harkens back to the vintage Italian prog acts.

Il Segno del Comando are for fans of the dark side of the Italian progressive scene such as Goblin, Abiogenesi and the above mentioned Antonius Rex and Jacula, as well as the works of international bands such as MY DYING BRIDE and MORTE MACABRE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oywWFVk_-k

Prog Archives band page: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8267
Prog Archives album page: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=42167

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 13 2017 at 09:11
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 09:26

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=50792

Lovely, I'm liking it more than Taproban's latest actually. The appearance of Anthony Phillips is quite appropriate.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 12:07

I'm assuming AF will be performing in English on this one again, H?

Yuup, lyrics provided by Peter Sinfield.

Il Segno del Commando just released a limited (100) Live in the Studio album.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 08:39

I saw that, I would love one of those LP's, but it's only available at their concerts, so what chance do I have of snapping one up?! Hmmm, Italy is actually part of Australia, right?!
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 12:16

I saw that, I would love one of those LP's, but it's only available at their concerts, so what chance do I have of snapping one up?! Hmmm, Italy is actually part of Australia, right?!

Although I'm situated much closer to Italy I still have the same problem Confused

October will bring us a new PFM album “Emotional Tattoos”. (sung in English and Italian).
They also signed with German lable  InsideOut Records.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 08:17
Do you think there will be a large general pressing of that Il Segno live album, H? I know that Il Ballo delle Castagne album `Soundtrack for Unreleased Herzog Film' was initially a very small vinyl release, but later had a CD issue put out by the Black Widow label, so I'm hoping, because of Il Segno's dealings with that label in the past, that we might be able to get ahold of a copy much easier at some point in the near future?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 08:19
Next modern recommendation:

Band: LINEATEORICA

Album: Lineateorica
Year: 2014

After several line-up changes and almost twenty years of honing their craft, 2014 finally saw Italian band Lineateorica properly enter the R.P.I scene with a promising 25 minute self-titled EP, and a fiery, varied and energetic little disc it was! Lineateorica can be placed alongside other Italian progressive acts such as Cervello, Procession, Rocky’s Filj and Osage Tribe, due to the fact that they recorded albums that do not use keyboards! This unusual characteristic means that their debut EP `Lineateorica’ placed more attention on contrasting acoustic and electric guitar passages with strong melodic song-writing and energetic vocals, as well as a focus on flute and confident drumming.

What makes the band and their disc so great is that they take recognizable elements of the classic RPI bands, but fuse it to a younger melodic rock sound, so this is hardly a lazy retro excursion!

Please take a listen to this clips, so much potential in this great band, and hopefully we get a whole length album from them in the near future!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjrWwu2E384&list=PLAehMd2H7neaTjQqLyLyXpZyE3b1s9ku_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwYqANDl1I&list=PLAehMd2H7neaTjQqLyLyXpZyE3b1s9ku_&index=2

The CD can still be purchased here, very inexpensive too and highly worthwhile!
https://lineateorica.bandcamp.com/releases

Prog Archives band page: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=8880
Prog Archives album page: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=45435

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 17 2017 at 08:25
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 08:26

Do you think there will be a large general pressing of that Il Segno live album, H? I know that Il Ballo delle Castagne album `Soundtrack for Unreleased Herzog Film' was initially a very small vinyl release, but later had a CD issue put out by the Black Widow label, so I'm hoping, because of Il Segno's dealings with that label in the past, that we might be able to get ahold of a copy much easier at some point in the near future?

As far as I'm informed it's a CD not a LP in some special packaging (whatever that means).

It's limited to 100 pieces. Maybe there will be an issue without that packaging later.
I think Black Widow Records is behind this somehow, so there is hope.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 08:41
Yes!!! I knew there were some modern recs that I'd forgotten. I remember Lineatorica...or now that you've mentioned them, I do
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 12:10
Just got recently the NUOVA ERA album - Return to the Castle.

Great album..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>