Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Italian Prog Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 12:21
Originally posted by noni noni wrote:

Just got recently the NUOVA ERA album - Return to the Castle.

Great album..

Noni, would you believe I was literally just looking at that album on my shelf tonight! I'm currently rearranging my collection and getting everything into alphabetical order, and I looked at the CD of that and thought `I'm sure I haven't listened to this yet....'!

Will make the effort to do so shortly.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 13:25
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Great album..

Noni, would you believe I was literally just looking at that album on my shelf tonight! I'm currently rearranging my collection and getting everything into alphabetical order, and I looked at the CD of that and thought `I'm sure I haven't listened to this yet....'!

I have only the one album and planning getting the rest.  Their ratings in prog/archives look pretty good!...
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 13:28

H, I'm curious about that Eris Pluvia album, but definitely don't have it.

But speaking of pastoral modern Italian albums, I'm sure you would have picked up that `Les Châteaux de la Loire' disc by Ellesmere, which features the bass player from Taproban?

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=50792

I've got it but not nearly listened to it enough yet. Very special though!

What's your verdict on this album..  Have not got this yet!...
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 13:37

Great album..

I have only the one album and planning getting the rest.  Their ratings in prog/archives look pretty good!...

I haven't heard it in years, but their debut and fourth albums especially are very highly regarded, and that is why I blind-bought this new one - good reputation!

But the rest of their albums are generally considered very decent as well, and I know many that consider 1995's `Il Passo Del Soldato' as a very special one.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 14:29

But speaking of pastoral modern Italian albums, I'm sure you would have picked up that `Les Châteaux de la Loire' disc by Ellesmere, which features the bass player from Taproban?

I haven't listened to it again since I bought it some months ago, so I'll dig that one out too! I remember listening to it at the time and thinking it was lovely, very much in a pretty and gentle Anthony Phillips (ex Genesis) manner, and he himself is on the album.

But there's two very positive reviews on the site from two good contributors and excellent frequent reviewers for the Archives here who've both given it a very positive review if that helps!
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 08:17

I haven't listened to it again since I bought it some months ago, so I'll dig that one out too! I remember listening to it at the time and thinking it was lovely, very much in a pretty and gentle Anthony Phillips (ex Genesis) manner, and he himself is on the album.

But there's two very positive reviews on the site from two good contributors and excellent frequent reviewers for the Archives here who've both given it a very positive review if that helps!

So far been enjoying some of these requests posted on this thread.   I managed to get most of these albums and so far enjoying what I'm hearing. Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 08:45
That's great, Noni/David, that's all we can hope for, and hope you haven't been too disappointed with too many you've picked up! Also, feel free to make recommendations yourself anytime. There's anyways plenty of titles that can easily slip by!

I've also dug out my CD's of that Ellesmere album and the recent Nuova Era, so will listen to them over the next couple of days.

A great review from Matti on the front page right now for a relatively recent live album from Fabio Zuffanti's band. I've got this one but have never listened to it (again!), so it's good to see the3 disc getting some attention. Matti's been delivering some sterling RPI/Italian prog reviews of late:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1744322
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 08:57
It's weird the only Italian band I had were NOVA from the 70s which I adore,  now I have most that been reco mmended and enjoying these bands.   I also check out the recommendation thread and picked up stomper albums there too!...

Managed to find a YouTube clips on Ellesmere which has most of their tracks!...  
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 09:01
^ The full album is on Youtube, here's the playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLxq0NvHXVd_DmROrYtpUxw_WNOqixzokc
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 11:15
 Managed to find a site that sold  Ellesmere -'Les Châteaux de la Loire' 
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 13:36
Zaum is a trip

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 13:51
I definitely haven't got any of there albums yet, Jim, but a few months back I caught up on Macroscream's `Sisyphus'. For some reason I was sure you reviewed it, but perhaps I was mistaken! Did you at least used to recommend it or something?

I still get a bit of an immature guilty laugh from the cover, I always seem to think it's of someone pushing a giant testicle against a hairy ass! (Sorry Macroscream!)

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=38009
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 13:54
I never thought about the cover being that, but now that you say it......   LOLShockedCryLOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 13:58
Ah HA, and now you can't UNSEE it ever again, Jim, right?!

Sorry, man....I was literally heading back here to post `sorry folks, that's easily the worst comment I've ever posted on the Archives forum', but you replied first!

If anything, it's more how screwy my brain must be wired, because ever since I noticed that cover I've always thought `Hmmmm, that cover....kinda looks like....'

Guru Guru's `Hinten' eat your heart out!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 14:10
It shows the Italians certainly have more artistic presentation flair than the GermansLOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 14:23

And let us never speak of this again!
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 14:41
Please no more pictures Wink

Was any Zaum released on CD?

Macroscream's second album was much better (and had a harmless cover)

Didn't like the lastest Nuova Era to much.

Does any one remember this one?

Edited by TheH - July 18 2017 at 14:43
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 14:45
Hey at least we didn't post the Swan/unspeakable acts cover!  LOL

Can't remember if Zaum had a CD.

And yes, I do recall that Obscura album...I had it and reviewed in back in another lifeSmile
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 14:56
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Hey at least we didn't post the Swan/unspeakable acts cover!  LOL

Can't remember if Zaum had a CD.

And yes, I do recall that Obscura album...I had it and reviewed in back in another lifeSmile

Haha, I do remember that "birding" Swan cover thing Confused
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 06:48
Thanks for ruining that Macroscream cover... I couldn't stop laughing LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>