Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Italian Prog Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2017 at 15:53
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Included any prog from Italy that I liked.  Only Barock Project  and The Winstons aren't RIP.  I don't have Ten yet because I didn't listen to 10 RPI albums in 2017.  I may change my list as I ferret thru members Top Tens for hidden gems.

1. Barock Project- "Detachment"
2. Unreal City- "Frammenti Notturi"  (I like Unreal City's FN more than their 2nd album but not as much as 1st album.)

3.Maxophone- "La fabbrica delle nuvole"
4.Astrolabio- "I Paralumi della Ragione"
5. Panther & C- "L'epoca Di Un Altro"
6. "Astrolabio-I Paralumi della Ragione
7. Taproban- "L'epoca Di Un Altro"
8. il Cerchio D'oro-  "il Fuoco Sotto la Cenere"

Felt like 2017 because I didn't purchase The Winstons till last summer.   Groovy 2016 release by a retro Canterbury band from Italy.   

I like your list..  Panther & C has been an amazing band for...Smile
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2017 at 02:44
I think the Maxophone one has been a very pleasant surprise, and it seems to have been well received by fans. I don't think too many people thought it would be very exciting, but it's a very good listen with tons of great playing and arrangements on it, as well as just some very strong tunes – I’m actually listening to it right now!

A lot of people seem to be very praising of the latest Acqua Fragile one. I honestly hadn’t planned on picking it up because of how (in my little opinion) their Seventies albums are hardly essential Italian prog releases, but....to be continued!

Cindy, I was taking to Samuel about the latest Unreal City one just recently. I think, while it’s still their best and most mature album, it’s not as easy to constantly re-spin as their earlier two albums? Still going to rate highly on my list, but I’m wondering if a few other 2017 gems might sneak in ahead of it…

Still a few more to listen to over the next few weeks too...

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - December 13 2017 at 02:45
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2017 at 03:18
Did anyone listen to the latest album by The Watch? I always found them quite dull because of how close they followed the Genesis template, but I keep reading about how their latest album was a change in sound, so I'm curious to hear it now (and, of course, all the fans are complaining that it no longer sounds like Genesis! Poor Watch!)!
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2017 at 13:39
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I think the Maxophone one has been a very pleasant surprise, and it seems to have been well received by fans. I don't think too many people thought it would be very exciting, but it's a very good listen with tons of great playing and arrangements on it, as well as just some very strong tunes – I’m actually listening to it right now!

A lot of people seem to be very praising of the latest Acqua Fragile one. I honestly hadn’t planned on picking it up because of how (in my little opinion) their Seventies albums are hardly essential Italian prog releases, but....to be continued!

I was taking to Samuel about the latest Unreal City one just recently. I think, while it’s still their best and most mature album, it’s not as easy to constantly re-spin as their earlier two albums? Still going to rate highly on my list, but I’m wondering if a few other 2017 gems might sneak in ahead of it…

Still a few more to listen to over the next few weeks too...

I rank Unreal City latest album a smidgen below their debut, however I find myself listening to new Unreal City at least once a week.   It never grows old.   I rated the Barock Project # 1 because it's my favorite album of the year.  Speaking of favorite albums...

My husband claims Wobbler "From Silence to Somewhere" will go down as one of the greatest prog albums since the 70's.   I haven't heard "From Silence to Somewhere" as much as him, since he won't let me carry the CD back and forth to school and work. Shocked When I review Wobbler, I'll be sure to include his input.  That reminds me, I think my husbands favorite modern Italian album is Egonon "Rizveglio".   If memory serves me correct, a few months ago he mentioned Egonon recorded a new album.  I think he said Egonon is shopping the new album around record companies.  Have you heard anything about a new Egonon album Michael? Smile

Edited by omphaloskepsis - December 13 2017 at 14:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2017 at 15:38
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Not very familiar with the subgenre, but every year from 2011 to present has added one or more RPI-albums on my list. Here is my top 10:

1. Ingranaggi della Valle - Warm Spaced Blue
2. La Maschera di Cera - Le Porte del Domani
3. La Coscienza di Zeno - La Notte Anche di Giorno
4. Mario Cottarelli - Una Strana Commedia
5. Logos - L'Enigma della Vita
6. Maxophone - La Fabbrica delle Nuvole
7. Alphataurus - AttosecondO
8. Ingranaggi dela Valle - In Hoc Signo
9. Il Tempio delle Clessidre - Il-Lūdӗre
X. Avenoth - La Bocca della Verità

Some non-RPI recommendations from Italy:

Akt - Blemmebeya (5 stars), II (aka Binario, Eclectic)
Camelias Garden - You Have a Chance (Prog Folk, 5 stars)
Daal - Dances of the Drastic Navels (Eclectic)
Profusion - RewoToweR and Phersu (Eclectic)

What a great list!   Lucky to have everything but the Alphataurus- "AttosecondO" and Mario Cottarelli - "Una Strana Commedia".   They're on my radar now...

Don't have any of your non-RPI recommendations, however Daal is on my list.   Perhaps Camelias Garden - "You Have a Chance" scratches my Prog Folk itch?   I'll check out the other two too. 

Again,someone_else ....Outstanding list!

Edited by omphaloskepsis - December 13 2017 at 15:40
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2017 at 18:13

Not very familiar with the subgenre, but every year from 2011 to present has added one or more RPI-albums on my list. Here is my top 10:

What a great list!   Lucky to have everything but the Alphataurus- "AttosecondO" and Mario Cottarelli - "Una Strana Commedia".   They're on my radar now...

Don't have any of your non-RPI recommendations, however Daal is on my list.   Perhaps Camelias Garden - "You Have a Chance" scratches my Prog Folk itch?   I'll check out the other two too. 

Camelias Garden is excellent, highly recommended ...  Reverie is also another band to check out!!  Wink
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2017 at 15:29
Somehow the Robot Police kills every reply I'm posting here.
I' giving up.
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2017 at 17:09
I'm definitely no expert in this area but the Italian releases that have stayed on my playlist since their first discovery include:

MAD CRAYON Preda 
LAGARTIJA Particelle
INGRANAGGI DELL VALLE In hoc signo
HOMUNCULUS RES Limiti all'eguaglianza della parte con il tutto
FEM Sulla bolla di Sapone
LA COSCIENZA DELLA ZENO La notte anche di giorno
NOT A GOOD SIGN Not a Good Sign
EMPTY DAYS Empty Days
HUMANA PROG Fiori, frutti, farfalle 
YUGEN PLAYS LEDDI Uova fatali
NOSOUND LightDark
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 05:44
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Cool thread!

Rather hard for me to come up with a Top 20 (there would be about a hundred albums more that would deserve to be in this list)

La Torre Dell Alchimista - Neo
Gran Turismo Veloce - Di Carne, Di Anima
Ske - 1000 Autunni
Il Bacio Della Medusa -  Discesa Agl'Inferi D'Un Giovane Amante
Egonon - Risvelgio
Unreal City - La Crudeltà Di Aprile
D.F.A. - 4th
La Coscienza di Zeno - La Coscienza di Zeno
Ingranaggi della Valle In Hoc Signo
Il Tempio delle Clessidre - Il Tempio delle Clessidre
Universal Totem Orchestra - Rituale Alieno
Deus Ex Machina - Equilibrismo da Insofferenza
Il Trono Dei Ricordi - Il Trono Dei Ricordi
Distillerie di Malto - Il Manuale dei Piccoli Discorsi
La Fabbrica dell'Assoluto - 1984 - L'Ultimo Uomo d'Europa
Areknames - Love Hate Roundtrip
Alphataurus -  AttosecondO
Aurora Lunare - Aurora Lunare
Malibran - Oltre L'Ignoto
Randdone - Ultreia

Have a look at that "other" site with a long running very similar thread.....

Outstanding list H!   I plan to spend several hours getting acquainted with your list H. Clap
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 08:55

Thanks Smile. Unreal City's latest release, Frammenti Notturni, has found its place in it and there have been a few minor changes in the ranking.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 14:25

I' giving up.

frustrante aggravante no?   Half the time, including this post,Ouch I forget to copy and paste in my haste and the Robot Police kill me!  

I traded emails with Egonon.  Egonon assured me they would release a new album in 2018. 

I talked with Ske's record company.  They told me Ske would rerelease  1000 Autunni along with a live bonus disc.  I've been hunting 1000 Autunni for four years.  Its rare and expensive.  Wink

Edited by omphaloskepsis - December 16 2017 at 14:29
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 14:36
Although I would second almost all 2017 releases mentioned yet, I would go for more non RPI releases
this year:

Syncage - Unlike Here
Christadoro - Christadoro (70s "Cantautori" cover versions)
Muffx - L'Ora di Tutti
Parco Lambro - Parco Lambro
Riccardo Romano Land - B612 (sounds more like Marillion than Marillion does now) 

others
Phoenix Again - Unexplored
L' Albero del Veleno - Tale of a dark Fate
Aldo Tagliapietra - Invisibili realtà
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2017 at 14:43

I' giving up.

frustrante aggravante no?   Half the time, including this post,Ouch I forget to copy and paste in my haste and the Robot Police kill me!  

I traded emails with Egonon.  Egonon assured me they would release a new album in 2018. 

I talked with Ske's record company.  They told me Ske would rerelease  1000 Autunni along with a live bonus disc.  I've been hunting 1000 Autunni for four years.  Its rare and expensive.  Wink

Very frustrating indeed, it's always like: Yes you proved not to be a Robot.. But we will kill you anyway!

According to Paolo (Ske) it should have been released for more than a year now. Altrock slowed down
a lot coming to releases.

Egonon's "In Vitro" is finished for about 2 years now, but nothing goes any step further...

Todd View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RPI / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Todd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 18:12
After a fair bit of winnowing and reshuffling, here is how my 2017 Italian Prog list stands. It's still subject to change--I want to check out a few of the titles that H mentioned above, if I can find them.

1. Panther & C. - Il Giusto Equilibrio

2. Plurima Mundi - Percorsi

3. Cantina Sociale - Caosfera

4. Quarto Vuoto - Illusioni

5. Accordo Dei Contrari - Violato Intatto

6. Astrolabio - I Paralumi Della Ragione

7. Semiramis - Frazz Live

8. Vuoti A Rendere - Supplicium (EP)

9. Unreal City - Frammenti Notturni

10. Il Cerchio d’Oro - Il Fuoco Sotto La Cenere

11. Maxophone - La Fabbrica Delle Nuvole

12. Andrea Orlando - La Vita Autentica

13. Aqua Fragile - A New Chant

14. Il Cerchio Medianico - s/t

15. Isproject - The Archinauts

16. Il Tempio Delle Clessidre - Il-ludere

17. Phoenix Again - Unexplored

18. Taproban - Per Aspera Ad Astra

19. Christadoro - s/t

20. Cellar Noise - Alight

"I have seen the broken sky turn blue."

My Gnosis Ratings

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 08:37
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

After a fair bit of winnowing and reshuffling, here is how my 2017 Italian Prog list stands. It's still subject to change--I want to check out a few of the titles that H mentioned above, if I can find them

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 22:02
Originally posted by Todd Todd wrote:

Panther & C. - Il Giusto Equilibrio
Quarto Vuoto - Illusioni
Accordo Dei Contrari - Violato Intatto
Vuoti A Rendere - Supplicium (EP)
Aqua Fragile - A New Chant

FINALLY got all of these on the way from Ebay, Todd, so hopefully I can give all of them several crash-course last-minute listens before we have to vote for our top 20 of 2017....nothing like leaving things until the last minute!

As for where to place a bunch of those other titles you listed that I've already got/will vote for....honestly, I have no idea.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 03:00
My brain automatically goes to PFM - Per Un Amico for all things Italian prog Tongue

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote noni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 04:34
Another band to check out is Quasar - Last Transmission - 2017..  Instrumental album and very good!...  Most of my prog friends are really digging this album..  Don't think of Tangerine Dream,  but similar in style with slight heavier overtones in sound.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 04:53
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

My brain automatically goes to PFM - Per Un Amico for all things Italian prog Tongue

I imagine that is how most folks approach the wiiiiiiiide church of RPI. Sadly this is also where many stop. They pick up three or four of the most highly acclaimed RPI releases by the most well-known acts and then they're set and furthermore seem content with the exploration....but as with so many other countries it pays big time to dive in at the deep end and try out those obscure titles the Italian connoisseurs keep talking about for oneself and experience first-hand how much brilliant music that slipped under the global radar simply because it was incomprehensible to the English speaking world.

I hope you keep digging. People will most certainly do their best to help you clean out that wallet of yours. Such is the ways of the PA
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2018 at 03:51
Been enjoying recently this Italian prog band Soul Doubt that hasn't been mentioned in this thread. Their latest album The Dance of Light and Shade is quite an epic.
Favourite song: Aeons.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>