Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Italian Prog Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 09:45
^ Let's hope it's "Un album migliore" ;)
heavydrum View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavydrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 03:12
give king bong a chance :D
more on the psych side than on the prog one, still lots of odd time signatures and weird chords and changes.

https://kingbong.bandcamp.com/album/sand-return
https://kingbong.bandcamp.com/album/beekse-bergen-vol-1
i refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2018 at 16:03
Ske's only album (so far) will rereleased as Ske - 1001 Autunni (original was called 1000 Autunni).
It will feature a second disc with live stuff.

Ske is of course Paolo Botta from Yugen and Not a good Sign (and much more).

I consider this one to be a Top Ten after Golden Age Italian Prog album. So if you missed the hard
to find first issue: Now is your chance! (out at 13th July)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 16:53
TACITA INTESA crowd-funding!
Italian prog friends, this may be of note to some of you who have an interest in the modern bands and albums from that country. Tacita Intesa – http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9017, who released a very cool self-titled album back in 2014 – http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=46743 - are doing a crowdfunder program to get a set of 500 CD copies run up of their new album `Faro’, as well as other merchandise, etc, and there’s a chance for fans to contribute, as well as get their names printed in the CD booklet (that’s always nice!). Anyway, here’s the information, promo video (with English subtitles) as well as all the links you need:

"Hi everyone, we're Tacita Intesa, we come from Casentino valley, in Tuscany, and we play Progressive Rock.

Back in 2014 we released our debut album, available on all the streaming platforms; since then we've composed and arranged 9 new songs which we recorded live-in-the-studio and mixed in two great recording studios in Arezzo, at the beginning of 2018. Now it’s time to get the work done and release what shall be our second album: FARO (which can be translated into `Lighthouse'.)

Producing this album literally made us run out of money though, and our only hope to turn FARO on is you; together we can have the project published, get the physical copy and finally enjoy these 9 tracks.
The way to actually become our co-worker is to help us with our crowdfunding campaign here on Musicraiser.

Starting from 15€ you can buy in advance a physical copy of FARO and get your name written on the booklet, financing in this way the publishing of the album.

The target is reaching 1500€ in maximum 45 days. Thanks to this money we will be able to pay for:

- the printing of 500 digipak CDs;
- the shipping expenses for deliveries.

In case we manage to collect more than 1500€ we'll make other cool and new gadgets, or maybe even a vinyl special edition of FARO.

As you can see there are several bundles, with different combinations and items. It's up to you to decide whether you are more keen on a nice T-shirt, a signed poster, a good craft beer (of the Bifrons brewery, property of our guitarist Filippo) or perhaps our debut album, if you don’t have it yet! A digital download is provided with whatever bundle you choose and you'll receive it as soon as the campaign ends!

Our music isn't the usual rock’n’roll; it isn't cultural meditative stuff, neither easy-listening pop: actually it's the mix of all of these and even more.

C’mon, what we need is your very help: LIGHT THE FARO!

Tacita Intesa

#lightheFARO

For any further information, contact us via mail: [email protected]

Follow us on Facebook and on Instagram.

The link for the campaign can be found here:
https://www.musicraiser.com/projects/8524"

(and be sure to check out their great little debut album, still available here – https://tacitaintesa.bandcamp.com/album/tacita-intesa-2
or even uploaded onto Youtube at this link – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmCOkNuIHMw
and it’s an album that has had several favourable reviews posted for on this site already )

Thanks for reading, RPI fans!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 02:32
Thanks for the heads-up, I just backed it Thumbs Up
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2018 at 02:37
Posted a similar post on that "other site" yesterday.

Really liked their debut Album so I'm looking forward to this one.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 02:21
Awesome, H and Samuel!

Yep, just pre-purchased the CD version myself just now

Hey H, which `other site'?! I can barely find the time for this one let alone another prog site!
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 03:08
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Awesome, H and Samuel!

Hey H, which `other site'?! I can barely find the time for this one let alone another prog site!

Apart from PA there is only PE for me when it comes to Prog Forum sites.
I post a lot more on PE to be honest.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 15:54
I'm not very familiar with modern Italian prog(RPI)so here's what I would like to know. Is most of it symphonic sounding(ie lots of keyboards)or is there something else going on here? 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2018 at 15:55
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Awesome, H and Samuel!

Apart from PA there is only PE for me when it comes to Prog Forum sites.
I post a lot more on PE to be honest.

I was on PE for a long time but these days it's a read only site for me.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2018 at 03:45
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm not very familiar with modern Italian prog(RPI)so here's what I would like to know. Is most of it symphonic sounding(ie lots of keyboards)or is there something else going on here? 

Oooh, Mike, this will be good!

OK, so long story short:

There are a ton of Italian bands currently active, both older acts making comebacks and newer/younger groups.

Yes, there are a ton of bands that offer very bombastic keyboard driven and symphonic/classical-influenced `RPI'-sounding music.

There are also plenty of Italian bands incorporating modern indie-rock elements, or Post Rock, or R.I.O/avant-garde, etc, ie art rock.

There are many `comeback' albums from plenty of vintage Italian prog bands from the Seventies, and the majority of them are superb. They truly set the standard for `oldies' acts releasing new albums, many of which are full of great artistic inspiration.

I'm sure I forgot something, but that's a good quick explanation!

If you're interested in particular styles mentioned above, just let us know and I'm sure several of us could pitch in with strong recommendations!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 05:29

OK, so long story short:

There are a ton of Italian bands currently active, both older acts making comebacks and newer/younger groups.

Yes, there are a ton of bands that offer very bombastic keyboard driven and symphonic/classical-influenced `RPI'-sounding music.

There are also plenty of Italian bands incorporating modern indie-rock elements, or Post Rock, or R.I.O/avant-garde, etc, ie art rock.

There are many `comeback' albums from plenty of vintage Italian prog bands from the Seventies, and the majority of them are superb. They truly set the standard for `oldies' acts releasing new albums, many of which are full of great artistic inspiration.

If you're interested in particular styles mentioned above, just let us know and I'm sure several of us could pitch in with strong recommendations!

Well, my favorite is symphonic prog so I was referring to that style. So newer bands in the early Genesis or PFM style or with mellotron(if there are any). 
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 11:33

OK, so long story short:

Well, my favorite is symphonic prog so I was referring to that style. So newer bands in the early Genesis or PFM style or with mellotron(if there are any). 

A bunch of great ones to wet your appetite..

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2018 at 11:55
10 years on. Time flies.

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2018 at 16:04
And don't miss the new Locanda delle Fate album in October.
(seems to be a live plus something thingy)
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 12:31
Another 70s one off monster to have a comeback!

Pholas Dactylus

New album to be released in January.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tszirmay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2018 at 22:01

Martin, there's definitely other options for getting modern RPI discs affordably. Unfortunately one of the most high-profile sites (BMS Distribution) has some of the most unbearable postage prices I've ever seen (at least to Australia where I live), but other online stores like Syn-Phonic have very reasonable prices (although the website rarely gets updated and you have to email to ask if certain things are available).

However, it's many of the 90's titles that go for hugely extravagant prices because of how rare they've become, and many of them are long out of print!

For instance, I've really wanted to buy a copy of one by a group from the 90's called Lethe, their CD `Nymphae' loooooooong vanished. Not a single copy available even on a site like Discogs. Ha, I even tried looking up the band members on Facebook to get in contact with them and asking them if they had any left, and I still couldn't track them down!

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=2905

PS - If anyone has one for sale, please let me know!

I HAVE THIS ALBUM, BUT ITS NOT FOR SALE EmbarrassedBig smileTongue
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 09:05
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2018 at 11:08
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 23:24
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

H, I am SO looking forward to this album!

Just one problem...I had planned to order it directly from Black Widow...but as of quite recently, they've put up their shipping prices to some insane amount, at least for Australia (likely it's the local postal service price, not Black Widow simply being greedy! . Currently, to ship four CD's to Australia, the postage is something like $34 Euro...which currently sits at $54 dollars Australian (and that is not counting the costs of the actual discs themselves).

Sadly AMS is more or less the same cost...it's a total deal-breaker.

It means I have to wait for them to pop up on Ebay, or for stores like Syn-Phonic to get them into stock, but that can sometimes take months

Hope you're well, mate
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>