Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Italian Prog Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 05:52
It's funny. I refrained from listening to that Logos album at the time it came out mostly because I found the guy pedalling the album on here to be rude. I remember a lot of ratings commotion.

But then I popped it on yesterday after seeing the mention in here and I absolutely adored it. Not the most original work ever sounding like Floyd teaming up with PFM, but it sounds wonderful. Only concern is the lenght of the album. Holy smokes!

I just relistened to La Conscienza di Zeno's sophomore release. Damn what happened to them after the debut? I really dig the raw and edgy feel of it compared to the buttery margarine feast that suddenly took over. Oh well maybe I will get a 'heureka' moment at some point, but I'm definitely not there yet.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 07:42
^ The album doesn't seem so long when you have to get up four times to flip the records :P

The eureka moment for me was during the third listen but I didn't have any expectation, since this was the first I heard from them, but I love both albums now. And speaking of the debut, how great is this performance?

Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 14:09
Submarine silence - Journey through mine
Promenade - Noi al dir di noi
and many others you can find in PA
deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deandob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2017 at 16:41
A lot of the bands posted here have the 70's classic prog sound. Kingcrow is a modern Italian band with a more contemporary prog sound, and their album Eidos rates high on my prog playlist.

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2017 at 01:36
I dig this to bits:

Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2017 at 08:53
Cool thread!

Rather hard for me to come up with a Top 20 (there would be about a hundred albums more that would deserve to be in this list)

La Torre Dell Alchimista - Neo
Gran Turismo Veloce - Di Carne, Di Anima
Ske - 1000 Autunni
Il Bacio Della Medusa -  Discesa Agl'Inferi D'Un Giovane Amante
Egonon - Risvelgio
Unreal City - La Crudeltà Di Aprile
D.F.A. - 4th
La Coscienza di Zeno - La Coscienza di Zeno
Ingranaggi della Valle In Hoc Signo
Il Tempio delle Clessidre - Il Tempio delle Clessidre
Universal Totem Orchestra - Rituale Alieno
Deus Ex Machina - Equilibrismo da Insofferenza
Il Trono Dei Ricordi - Il Trono Dei Ricordi
Distillerie di Malto - Il Manuale dei Piccoli Discorsi
La Fabbrica dell'Assoluto - 1984 - L'Ultimo Uomo d'Europa
Areknames - Love Hate Roundtrip
Alphataurus -  AttosecondO
Aurora Lunare - Aurora Lunare
Malibran - Oltre L'Ignoto
Randdone - Ultreia

Have a look at that "other" site with a long running very similar thread.....

TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2017 at 09:22
A small list of things to come

Astralia
 Fonderia
 FEM Prog Band
 Gran Turismo Veloce (already mixed last year)
 PFM (in the Studio right now)
 Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Orlando
 Egonon (album is finished, they are looking for a lable)
 Il Fauno Di Marmo
 Il Giardino Onirico (status unkown)
 La Tore dell'Alchimista (if they ever finish it :-) )
 Mad Crayon (in the works for over 2 years now)
 SKE - 1001 Autunni (Remaster of 1000 Autunni plus live album)
 Laviàntica
 Verganti - Atlas
 Una Stagione all'Inferno - Il Mostro di Firence
 Unreal City . Frammenti Notturni (September 2017)
 Il Cerchio d'Oro
 DAAL - Decalogue of Darkness
 DAAL - (second project)
 Mauro Montobbio (Narrow Pass)
 Höstsonaten - Ancient Mariner Part 2
 Garden Wall (maybe)
 Malibran - 'Live Anthology' (1994-2001)
 Dropshard (in the studio right now)
 Entity (reworked (unreleased) early album (just a maybe))
 Semiramis Live DVD (to be recorded next week, including two new songs)
 Il Bacio della Medusa (in the studio right now)
 Il Segno del Comando (in the studio right now)
 Syndone (just started writing new songs)
 Asgard - "Ragnarøkkr"
 Black Jester
 Not a Good Sign
 Homunculus Res - "Della stessa sostanza dei sogni"
 Logos
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2017 at 16:42
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I dig this to bits:

Oh man, cheers for posting this, I haven't heard it in years...from what I remember it was a Fabio Zuffanti-related work, and had quite a darker/gothic/Goblin-like sound do it?

I'm actually quite sad to say that I let this one slip by...will need to catch up and add it to my collection.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2017 at 16:43
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

Cool thread!

Rather hard for me to come up with a Top 20 (there would be about a hundred albums more that would deserve to be in this list)

La Torre Dell Alchimista - Neo
Gran Turismo Veloce - Di Carne, Di Anima
Ske - 1000 Autunni
Il Bacio Della Medusa -  Discesa Agl'Inferi D'Un Giovane Amante
Egonon - Risvelgio
Unreal City - La Crudeltà Di Aprile
D.F.A. - 4th
La Coscienza di Zeno - La Coscienza di Zeno
Ingranaggi della Valle In Hoc Signo
Il Tempio delle Clessidre - Il Tempio delle Clessidre
Universal Totem Orchestra - Rituale Alieno
Deus Ex Machina - Equilibrismo da Insofferenza
Il Trono Dei Ricordi - Il Trono Dei Ricordi
Distillerie di Malto - Il Manuale dei Piccoli Discorsi
La Fabbrica dell'Assoluto - 1984 - L'Ultimo Uomo d'Europa
Areknames - Love Hate Roundtrip
Alphataurus -  AttosecondO
Aurora Lunare - Aurora Lunare
Malibran - Oltre L'Ignoto
Randdone - Ultreia

Have a look at that "other" site with a long running very similar thread.....

Amazing list, H, the majority that I would have on my "top 20" list as well.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2017 at 16:50
BAND: PSYCHO PRAXIS

ALBUM: Echoes from the Deep
Year: 2012

A bit of a controversial album this one!

The ferocious and surging power on display throughout the debut album by Italian band Psycho Praxis, formed in Brescia in 2004, shows so much variety and highly promising talent. In addition to a kicking electric energy and frequently frantic vocal delivery, swirling flute crosses English band Jethro Tull with Italy's Quella Vecchia Locanda and Osanna, the darker jazzy atmospheres are reminiscent of Van der Graaf Generator and the dirty organ/guitar interplay gives a rough Biglietto Per L'inferno RPI sound.

There’s a pretty big BUT, though…The album employs English vocals, which seemed to be an attempt by the band to appeal to a world-wide audience. Thankfully it’s one of few English language Italian albums that still perfectly captures the manic and theatrical quality of so many of the Italian discs (yes, there are occasional examples where it works, as hard as it is for us RPI purists to accept! ).

Perhaps the English language might serve to be a good safe introduction to what the Italian bands can offer for newcomers, and that can’t be a bad thing! Sadly no follow-up release to date, so let’s keep our fingers crossed!

Please check out some clips below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73iLn4JhNho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwBQAGeDFlw

Prog Archives band page: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7857
Prog Archives album page: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=40546

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - July 01 2017 at 16:51
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 06:29
^^
Not a life sign from PSYCHO PRAXIS for about a year now...

The band can also be seen on the Nuova Idea (Paolo Siani) DVD as they serve
as the backing band for Paolo.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 15:39
Cindy here!  Thanks so much for the thread.  Me and hubby are listening to Unreal City's second album right now and loving it.  I'm partial to Logos because I love David Gilmore.   GULDBAMSEN said it better, 

"It's funny. I refrained from listening to that Logos album at the time it came out mostly because I found the guy pedalling the album on here to be rude. I remember a lot of ratings commotion. But then I popped it on yesterday after seeing the mention in here and I absolutely adored it. Not the most original work ever sounding like Floyd teaming up with PFM, but it sounds wonderful "

My husband likes the avant-garde RPI more.   I like it smooth, he likes it raw, smooth and hard.

We'll play our CD collection of around 20 modern RPI discs over the next few weeks and rate them.    We look forward to test driving recommendations the PA crowd recommends!  Thank you so much for this thread!  It's like having a panel of world famous chefs discussing their favorite recipes!  I can't wait to dig in! 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - July 02 2017 at 15:56
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 16:13
A new fav under evaluation at the moment and also heading to me in the mail:

Fantastically broad spectrum.
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2017 at 16:24
^ I 100% endorse this one, too. It's one of my favourite finds of the year so far - an absolutely top-shelf production, and should definitely appeal to the more eclectic/avant crowd. 

Here's the bandcamp link:

Edited by Magnum Vaeltaja - July 02 2017 at 16:25
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 00:46
Syncage is great weird jazzy stuff, I really like the vocalist.

One of the best this year, so far.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 02:51
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

I dig this to bits:

Oh man, cheers for posting this, I haven't heard it in years...from what I remember it was a Fabio Zuffanti-related work, and had quite a darker/gothic/Goblin-like sound do it?

I'm actually quite sad to say that I let this one slip by...will need to catch up and add it to my collection.

Yeah, it's one of Zuffanti's and that is a pretty apt description. The five tracks on the album are all versions of Italian 1970s TV show themes - and even without knowing the originals, which I don't, there is a kinda hauntological vibe to it. It's a bit more leftfield than Z's usual stuff and a very fun listen, well worth hunting down.

Edited by Mascodagama - July 03 2017 at 02:52
Bandcamp Profile
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 02:57
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

BAND: PSYCHO PRAXIS

ALBUM: Echoes from the Deep
Year: 2012
I bought the CD a couple of years ago and it didn't truly click yet, probably more because of the Tullian sound than the vocals. I should give it another spin though.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 04:42
The Tullian sound doesn't bother me too much, Sam, but at least it doesn't have Ian Anderson-y vocals!

This is a pretty easy one to return to for me, mate. It's a shame, as TheH has said, that the band has gone very quiet....hopefully just for now!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 04:49
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

We look forward to test driving recommendations the PA crowd recommends!  Thank you so much for this thread!  It's like having a panel of world famous chefs discussing their favorite recipes!  I can't wait to dig in! 

Thank YOU, Cindy, for every essentially suggesting it! It's probably long overdue, and it's great already seeing others step in with great recommendations and updates! It's also a nice opportunity for me personally to keep learning from others and broadening even my own knowledge...and be reminded of bands and albums that have slipped by!

You've got my pledge to maintain this properly too, so that means lots of obscure recommendations about little known or somewhat forgotten titles too that need a bit of fresh exposure!

I also wouldn't mind possibly implementing a `Get To Know'.... kind of thing that introduces newer bands, maybe by way of short interview question/answers or spruiks their latest release.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2017 at 05:16
Zaal's Onda Quadra is a jazzy fave of mine:

Their other album I get less out of, though it does have some good stuff.

Bandcamp Profile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>