Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteven Wilson - "Why I'm Making Pop Music Now"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2017 at 12:55
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

I suppose it's to be expected that the haters will come marching in with their ridiculous elitist remarks when a prog artist has anything that approaches success. It's just jealousy. This music is amazing and you know it. You're missing out on the best music being made right now.

You are right of course. I know this music is amazing, the best in the world, but I am forced to despise it anyway due to my searing jealousy of Steven Wilson, which has kept me awake almost every night for the last ten years. His boyish good looks, fabulous hair and cute little glasses fill my soul with unquenchable bitterness and rage. If he cracks the pop charts with 'Permanating' I will literally have to kill myself.

Edited by Mascodagama - July 04 2017 at 12:57
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2017 at 12:58
It never fails to amaze me just how many otherwise sensible and mature music lovers decide to unload a pile of vitriol on an artist just because he/she/they make a "commercial" record.

Let us be clear. Artists make music out of both love and, hopefully, to make a few pounds/dollars/pesatos etc. out of their endeavours. Once artists cease to make money, they generally cease to exist.

Lest we forget, our favourite "pure prog" bands were, in their heyday, the commercial successes of their day.

Genesis, in their prog days, had a, gasp, hit single with I Know What I Like. It made Top of the Pops. Bloody sellout, eh?

Led Zep, The Who, and Pink Floyd were the best selling artists of their day. The latter had a massive worldwide hit single with Money, from the album most regard as being one of the epitomes of progressive rock music.

Yes had a massive hit single in Amerca with Roundabout, a pure pop rock track, and absolutely broke them into superstardom in that country.

Even Crimson, whilst not as commercially successful, shifted more than a few truckloads of music in the day.

It's just music. You either like it, or you don't. I do not care two hoots how it is classified. If I think Wilson produces a decent album, I will enjoy and review it as such. If I think it is crap, it will not be because it is "pop", but because it is crap.

This neverending debate is so tiresome, it really is.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2017 at 13:13
I am not piling vitriol at all, I stated that I would not be buying his new album, short tracks , quick fix, no thanks. I will buy when his music interests me again. That will probably be never. I heard a minute of that track and it was garbage....he has more talent than that! Plenty of obscure stuff for me to discover tho - onwards and upwards!!!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2017 at 14:15
It's never about the artist wanting to make money, it's always (or should always be) about the product that is produced. The problem with these songs (or later Genesis or any other prog band that gets the sell out label thrown at them) is the songs themselves are bland/insipid/boring/safe/etc.

Perhaps I'm being generous, but I doubt the vast majority is upset at artists that want to eat. (Not that Steve Wilson would ever have that problem if he never produced another note of music again)
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2017 at 17:38
wow M27Barney is INTENSE
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2017 at 18:47
Originally posted by Man Overboard Man Overboard wrote:

As if vocally supporting the violent occupation of Palestine and attacking more conscientious artists he made a career cribbing weren't enough, settler colonial sympathizer Steven Wilson goes pop, releases new pop single. 

Listen here:

Wow, what a dishonest mischaracterization of that interview. You should apply for CNN.

As if Man Overboard's being outraged over people having different political opinions weren't enough, this terrorist, suicide-bomber-sympathizer thinks Steven Wilson owes him the kind of music he wants to hear.

I don't like Steven Wilson's new music either, but the man has given the world enough prog and I don't blame him for doing whatever excites him.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2017 at 19:03
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Besides, there's a massive difference between well-crafted catchy songs that still show intelligence, and blatantly commercial vacuous teenybopper fluff. Some people seem to confuse simply being catchy and commercial as being instantly a disgraceful sin!

People are deeply concerned about labels.  Another Day had a more commercial sound (complete with sappy sax in the intro) and nobody had a problem with it because it was called prog.  You can't make this up!
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2017 at 19:37
Originally posted by Friday13th Friday13th wrote:

Wow, what a dishonest mischaracterization of that interview. You should apply for CNN.

As if Man Overboard's being outraged over people having different political opinions weren't enough, this terrorist, suicide-bomber-sympathizer thinks Steven Wilson owes him the kind of music he wants to hear.

I don't like Steven Wilson's new music either, but the man has given the world enough prog and I don't blame him for doing whatever excites him.

LOL Did I touch a nerve? There's nothing wrong with pop music, I just don't trust ol' Swilson to be up to the task, given how poorly his many prior attempts at pop songwriting have gone. His prog wasn't so hot, either. 

If recognizing the humanity of the oppressed Palestinian people makes me a terrorist sympathizer, so be it! I'd be standing in good company. Clap
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2017 at 20:37
Sure, Wilson's prog is highly overrated in general, though I own a few albums I enjoy.

See, but Wilson and I have been to Israel. After you finish paying your tenth Palestinian taxi driver, visit the their prominently placed shops in every Jerusalem corner, yet see no Palestinian wives in public, you would also see the humanity of Israelis. Don't think you'd be dwelling on how virtuous you are for "seeing the humanity" of Palestinians if they were allowed to take over Tel Aviv. In Qatar, owner of the oh-so progressive news outlet Al-jazeera, the punishment for homosexuality is stoning. Hamas would be no different, and is clearly not "good company."
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2017 at 20:56
Originally posted by Friday13th Friday13th wrote:

Sure, Wilson's prog is highly overrated in general, though I own a few albums I enjoy.

See, but Wilson and I have been to Israel. After you finish paying your tenth Palestinian taxi driver, visit the their prominently placed shops in every Jerusalem corner, yet see no Palestinian wives in public, you would also see the humanity of Israelis. Don't think you'd be dwelling on how virtuous you are for "seeing the humanity" of Palestinians if they were allowed to take over Tel Aviv. In Qatar, owner of the oh-so progressive news outlet Al-jazeera, the punishment for homosexuality is stoning. Hamas would be no different, and is clearly not "good company."

"They're not really human like you or I, so it's okay to take their land, push them out of their homes, kill their children, and sneer at anyone who disagrees with the construction of a racist ethno-state in historic Palestine."

Pinkwashing jackass.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2017 at 21:29
Whoever said this song is "the good kind of pop" knows nothing about music in general. Wilson's take on pop is way below standard. Grab "First Love" by Hikaru Utada or "Bubblegum, Lemonade, and... Something for Mama" by Cass Elliot...hell, even Madonna's "Ray of Light" obliterates this song. As a matter of fact, I consider "RoL" a great conceptual album and proggier than Wilson's entire career.

Edit: I kinda like Piano Lessons.

Edited by Upbeat Tango Monday - July 04 2017 at 21:57
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2017 at 03:23
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2017 at 04:13
Thank you, Mr Partridge,

Steve.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2017 at 04:30
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

It never fails to amaze me just how many otherwise sensible and mature music lovers decide to unload a pile of vitriol on an artist just because he/she/they make a "commercial" record.

Let us be clear. Artists make music out of both love and, hopefully, to make a few pounds/dollars/pesatos etc. out of their endeavours. Once artists cease to make money, they generally cease to exist.

Lest we forget, our favourite "pure prog" bands were, in their heyday, the commercial successes of their day.

Genesis, in their prog days, had a, gasp, hit single with I Know What I Like. It made Top of the Pops. Bloody sellout, eh?

Led Zep, The Who, and Pink Floyd were the best selling artists of their day. The latter had a massive worldwide hit single with Money, from the album most regard as being one of the epitomes of progressive rock music.

Yes had a massive hit single in Amerca with Roundabout, a pure pop rock track, and absolutely broke them into superstardom in that country.

Even Crimson, whilst not as commercially successful, shifted more than a few truckloads of music in the day.

It's just music. You either like it, or you don't. I do not care two hoots how it is classified. If I think Wilson produces a decent album, I will enjoy and review it as such. If I think it is crap, it will not be because it is "pop", but because it is crap.

I agree with what you've said Laz. Good music is in the ear of the beholder, and prog gone pop is generally not an issue with me. However, a pure sellout just for the money, and there were a few of these over the years (mostly proggers who went broke due to excesses and touring with expensive orchestras, etc.) is anathema to me personally, as the pop they produced seems to be more of caricature of what they these artists think pop music should be. I could spin the psych pop of the Zombies' Odessey and Oracle album all day long while knowing it  would gag a majority of prog listeners. It's not pop that's the issue with me but the quality of it which I find lacking from some prog artists. Alas, the debate goes on.

Edited by SteveG - July 05 2017 at 04:32
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2017 at 06:18
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Yes, I agree! Honestly...
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2017 at 06:24
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

So let me get this right... If the stuff is a bit simpler and not in some ridiculous time signature, its not prog?! 

I'm sorry, I've been with Steve Wilson's music since the beginning.  I think he's come so far.  I think one of the most endearing things about "prog" music is that when you follow a "prog" artist, it's an adventure.  If Wilson was going to put out another Porcupine Tree sounding album like Up The Down Stair would you really be impressed?  You'd probably say it was boring and he hasn't "prog"ressed.  I can appreciate what he is doing here and to be honest, I LIKE IT.  The lyrics are NOT trite and stupid and the song sounds good.  It sounds like he's working hard to make something challenging and yet appealing to the ear (i.e. something that sticks in the head).

I'm sure there will be arguments out there about my comment, but "prog" is short for "progressive" and I dont think it's fair to say this isn't "prog".  I think he is "prog"ressing and isn't that what we are all here for?  If the guy makes a catchy tune that makes money are we all supposed to run screaming from him?  Remember some of our most revered "prog" bands nearly killed their existence by making overly complex music.

I have been tuned in and will stay tuned with Mr. Wilson.  I think he has the right idea for music and I like "prog"ressing with him.  I think he suffers for his art and I feel like I'm witnessing his musical growth.  Let's not be over dramatic about this.  You know the man will toss in something really grand, dark, complex and over the top.  I mean C'MON... IT'S STEVEN WILSON FOR CHRIST SAKE!  Remember in order for something to be "pop" it should be "popular".  I think Steve Wilson's music has to really dumb it down a TON more than this song to be a "pop" song.  I don't think he'd ever sink that low.  I think he likes a challenge too much.

Musical categories/genres are for sissies.  Categorizing music ruins the art form.  I say RUN WILD Mr. Wilson.  I'm with you 100%
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 01:42
I really like the song for what it is i.e. a joyful slice of Pop music that ELO, Madness, XTC, Abba or the Beach Boys would have been proud. Not sure I could enjoy a whole 3 hour concert of same though...
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 12:45
I suffer from enough "collateral damage" - as I get exposed to pop-crap every time I go out to the pub, or have a family barbecue (my eldest son is completely pop-oriented - and hates all the music I like) so why would I want to inflict more on myself intentionally !!!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 13:08
As many have said....good music is good music.....if his 'pop' is good then so be it.
It's not my cup of tea  for the most part and what I have heard of his new album doesn't really grab me...but that is not an indictment of what he is doing now.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
altaeria View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2017 at 09:54

I'm not sure which is more played out : 
hearing people get angry because a musician tried to write a catchy tune ;  
or hearing about civil unrest somewhere in the Middle East.   

Edited by altaeria - July 07 2017 at 09:54
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>