Topic ClosedKing Crimson - Chicago, 28 June 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson - Chicago, 28 June 2017
    Posted: July 05 2017 at 19:43
A very good friend bought me a ticket to the King Crimson show at the stately, lovely Chicago Theater, performing on 28 June, 2017!   Thanks, Kim! Clap

This was the rather massive King Crimson orchestra, consisting of Fripp and longtime associates Tony Levin (bass, Chapman Stick) and Mel Collins (saxophone) alongside singer/guitarist Jakko Jakszyk and FOUR drummers, Bill Rieflin, Gavin Harrison, Pat Mastelotto and Jeremy Stacey.  

Referring to this tour configuration as the “Double Quartet Formation,” Fripp said King Crimson is “likely to be making a lot more noise than before.”

And....make noise they did!!  Their performance spanned nearly the entire career of King Crimson, from the first LP (Schizoid Man, as an encore song) through Poseidon (Pictures of a City), even a bit of Lizard (Cirkus!).  

The breadth of the lineup allowed for such versatility....Stacey and Rieflin doubled as keyboardists, and Fripp himself played keys at his elaborate "Ground Zero" corner of the stage!  (see photo, at right)

Collins was sublime, playing everything from alto and tenor saxes to flutes.  Mastellotto was excellent in his "Jamie Muir" mode, working with a dizzying array of percussion elements such as dangling sheet metal and chimes, and Jakko was in fine form on vocals and guitar!   This is Tony Levin's diary entry:

In a nod to the dear departed, the band did spirited renditions of "Fallen Angel" from SBB, and performed the Bowie/Fripp song "Heroes" as an encore.  

I have seen KC shows dating back to LTIA era (1973, with Peter Frampton opening!) through the Discipline years and even the prior show in Chicago in 2014.  They all have their special moments....

In some ways, I preferred the 2014 show because it was "edgier", with the band using iPads for Mellotrons, and without the dominant keyboard sounds.  However, it was an amazing event to witness, and I was very happy to see my "old friends" holding court before a raucous, cheering crowd!!  

I look forward to PA questions & comments, see them if you can!!  Heigh Ho, Charles! 

Edited by cstack3 - July 06 2017 at 13:37
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 11:21
Went to KC at Massey Hall in Toronto July 5. It was different without Belew
s antics. Jacko pulled off a couple of Belew pieces by adding jazzy touches to them. The real star was Mel Collins. Interesting to see sax parts in songs that were recorded in the studio without woodwinds. Would have liked to hear Red but they played In The Court and Schizoid Man back-to-back as sncores. For me highlights were Islands and Neurotica which was preceded by Lark's Pt One. Turned on Red lights for Starless. Pretty cool. One of the two young girls sitting beside us said during the Intermission, " why doesn't the old guy on the right do anything?" I just told her that he was only there to make sure everybody else did everything right. Don't want  to make this too long because of robot tests.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 12:42
Nice review! I'm seeing them on Monday and all the reviews/setlists rolling in have me quite stoked. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 13:40
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Nice review! I'm seeing them on Monday and all the reviews/setlists rolling in have me quite stoked. 

You'll have a great time!!  I recommend going through the set lists and listening to songs that you haven't heard in a while....some songs like "Islands" threw me completely!  

This was the set list from 2014 - quite different, and (I thought at the time) a bit edgier, although the 2017 show was remarkable in its scale & precision!! 

Edited by cstack3 - July 06 2017 at 13:43
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 21:49
I'm confused by your "FOUR drummers" comment.   I saw them in Denver only a few days earlier and there were "only" three drummers, along with a dedicated keyboard player.

--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 23:09
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

I'm confused by your "FOUR drummers" comment.   I saw them in Denver only a few days earlier and there were "only" three drummers, along with a dedicated keyboard player.

Rieflin is the fourth drummer, and I was expecting to see a drum kit on the riser above the stage!  However, he only played keyboards (as far as I could tell) during the entire show.  Stacey also played extensive keyboards.

I'd never seen so much keyboard action in a King Crimson show (and I saw Fripp and Cross play dueling Mellotrons in 1973!!).  

Edited by cstack3 - July 06 2017 at 23:12
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2017 at 17:34
I saw the Minneapolis show on the 26th. It was like being attacked by a beautiful monster with 8 heads and 3 drummers. I took a peek at their setlists a few weeks before going. I kinda wish I didn't - I would have been more astonished at the selections if I didn't have a clue. I looked away quickly but a few songs stayed in my head. The fact that they started out with LTIA I was the biggest surprise. I didn't see that one coming. Must have glanced away in time. I recognized it right away from the thumb-piano part. There's nothing like the tension-release on that one.

Islands just about had me in tears.

The Letters would have shocked me if I didn't notice it in the setlist. Unfortunately a whole lot of people thought they were done at the end of the instrumental section and started applauding right at the very second Jakko was going to scream "Impaled on Nails of Ice!". He had his breath drawn and everything. Luckily he just exhaled and stepped back, looked annoyed for a second and then gave it his all. Some people just killed the moment.

The only complaint I have is when the nice, small couple who sat in front of me were asked to leave their seats so that Billy the Mountain could sit in them. I don't know how that happened. You see, "Billy" was too big for one seat, so he had to have two. The seats are designed so that the sightline from every seat to the stage is between the two seats in front of it. Being a giant, Billy did not conform to normal human proportions. His posterior didn't quite fit between the armrests, so he listed to the left, putting his basketball sized noggin that was attached directly to his shoulders, sans-a-neck, right in front of me. It blocked the right half of the stage. Luckily my friend was kind enough to switch seats with me for the second half.

Edited by stegor - July 07 2017 at 17:34
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2017 at 18:40
Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

The only complaint I have is when the nice, small couple who sat in front of me were asked to leave their seats so that Billy the Mountain could sit in them. I don't know how that happened. You see, "Billy" was too big for one seat, so he had to have two. The seats are designed so that the sightline from every seat to the stage is between the two seats in front of it. Being a giant, Billy did not conform to normal human proportions. His posterior didn't quite fit between the armrests, so he listed to the left, putting his basketball sized noggin that was attached directly to his shoulders, sans-a-neck, right in front of me. It blocked the right half of the stage. Luckily my friend was kind enough to switch seats with me for the second half. 

LOL  I'm trying to think of an appropriate King Crimson song title to apply, but my mind is a blank!!   The only thing that comes to mind is this: 

The saga of Rodney Toady.

Rodney was a sad young man, because he was...fat and ugly, and no one liked...him. Children ran up to him in the street, and pointed, and shouted "Rodney is a sad young man because he is fat and ugly!" And then they ran away laughing. Rodney shouted "I will chase you, and, and hit you, and m-make you cry!" But as Rodney was so...fat, he could not run fast enough, and the frustration of his complete impotence made him even sadder.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2017 at 19:01

Same at Massey Hall. Other people noticed that Lark's One started out a bit shaky. Could have been a technical thing but it was sorted out quickly. I still can't wrap my head around the three drummer thing. Pat doing the devices was kind of cool though recalling the brief Jamie Muir days. Islands was definitely a highlight. Having seen them 5 times in the 80s & 90s I walked away more with the impression that I had really seen King Crimson because of the old material. I really wish Bruford could have been part of this lineup. Have some photos of the end of the show when photos were allowed. Even Fripp brought out a camera! but the robot tests kick in when I try to post photos

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2017 at 19:41
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

You'll have a great time!!  I recommend going through the set lists and listening to songs that you haven't heard in a while....some songs like "Islands" threw me completely!  

This was the set list from 2014 - quite different, and (I thought at the time) a bit edgier, although the 2017 show was remarkable in its scale & precision!! 

Islands is definitely the biggest surprise. Have they ever played that song live before?

Sadly I missed them the last time through, but looking forward to the 8 headed/3 drummer beast. :)
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 07:08

Islands is definitely the biggest surprise. Have they ever played that song live before?

Sadly I missed them the last time through, but looking forward to the 8 headed/3 drummer beast. :)

Last night, it came to me that I've seen concerts like this one before....Frank Zappa in the 1970s!  I saw him three times, and the two-tier stage construction, reliance upon keyboards, and incorporation of free-form jazz jamming in a song structure were very similar.  

Don't miss this one!  
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 10:57
I think I can die in peace now.

What a wonderful night in Quebec city. By far the greatest musical experience I've ever had. The 3-drummer thing is honestly incredible. The power is not really felt on the Radical Action live recording but oh boy does it work live. The drummers are up front on the stage and Mastelotto and Harrison are the ones driving the show. It was so impressive to hear the crazy arrangements they could make with 3 drummers playing different things. Sometimes one focused on the main rhythm while another did fills and Mastelotto did Jamie Muir-like percussions. Not only do the drummers provide a truly enchanting atmosphere with their tribal sound, they are also amazing visually. On several occasions, their movements are so synchronized and precise that they seem to follow a choregraphy. During Hell Hounds of Krim, the movements of their arms followed from one to another and it created something truly special visually. 

The drums were really the core of the show for me and that's not to say Collins, Levin, Rieflin, Jakszyk and Fripp disappointed in any stretch of the imagination. Collins was great in adding brass and woodwind passages to parts where there was originally not any of those instruments (he even transformed a part of Larks pt.1 into La Marseillaise). Levin was as impressive as ever, playing his Chapman Stick like a double bass and using a violin bow at some point. Jakszyk's vocals usually did nothing for me but he had his moments where it just worked wonderfully. Fripp was a real surprise. He was in the dark corner of the stage as one could expect but damn at 70ish years old the guy was on fire! He was discrete most of the time but he delivered amazing guitar sections. 10/10, exceeded my already quite high expectations in every way. A perfect show.

Highlights for me included: Hell Hounds of Krim/Islands/The Letters/Easy Money (added melancholy part that seemed to be a swan song for the band)/Red (best 3-drummers arrangement, really impressive).

The only disappointment for me is that even though the title of the show included "Pictures and cellphones forbidden" and that a recording of Fripp's lovely voice stressed it again on two occasions, lots of people still took pictures and videos with the flash on. Some a****le started shooting a video with the flash on during the climax of Starless (also the climax of the show) when the lighting changes. Fripp simply stopped playing and pointed to the flash in the audience until it disappeared.

This show is an absolute must. Certainly the ultimate rock show. If you're on this site you just can't miss it. Chances are we won't be seeing Fripp touring again after this summer so this is pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. 
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 13:03
Here's the warning signs from the Massey hall show in Toronto on Wednesday. And Yes some idiot pulled out a camera but someone wacked it out of his hands before Fripp noticed. Phew!

Edited by Kepler62 - July 08 2017 at 13:05
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 13:14
That was me who was taking all these flash photographs!

Hundreds of them and I've never been caught since '94.

Even have one of Bobby changing clothes after the show.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 13:16
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

I think I can die in peace now.

What a wonderful night in Quebec city. By far the greatest musical experience I've ever had. The 3-drummer thing is honestly incredible. The power is not really felt on the Radical Action live recording but oh boy does it work live. The drummers are up front on the stage and Mastelotto and Harrison are the ones driving the show. It was so impressive to hear the crazy arrangements they could make with 3 drummers playing different things. Sometimes one focused on the main rhythm while another did fills and Mastelotto did Jamie Muir-like percussions. Not only do the drummers provide a truly enchanting atmosphere with their tribal sound, they are also amazing visually. On several occasions, their movements are so synchronized and precise that they seem to follow a choregraphy. During Hell Hounds of Krim, the movements of their arms followed from one to another and it created something truly special visually. 

The drums were really the core of the show for me and that's not to say Collins, Levin, Rieflin, Jakszyk and Fripp disappointed in any stretch of the imagination. Collins was great in adding brass and woodwind passages to parts where there was originally not any of those instruments (he even transformed a part of Larks pt.1 into La Marseillaise). Levin was as impressive as ever, playing his Chapman Stick like a double bass and using a violin bow at some point. Jakszyk's vocals usually did nothing for me but he had his moments where it just worked wonderfully. Fripp was a real surprise. He was in the dark corner of the stage as one could expect but damn at 70ish years old the guy was on fire! He was discrete most of the time but he delivered amazing guitar sections. 10/10, exceeded my already quite high expectations in every way. A perfect show.

Highlights for me included: Hell Hounds of Krim/Islands/The Letters/Easy Money (added melancholy part that seemed to be a swan song for the band)/Red (best 3-drummers arrangement, really impressive).

The only disappointment for me is that even though the title of the show included "Pictures and cellphones forbidden" and that a recording of Fripp's lovely voice stressed it again on two occasions, lots of people still took pictures and videos with the flash on. Some a****le started shooting a video with the flash on during the climax of Starless (also the climax of the show) when the lighting changes. Fripp simply stopped playing and pointed to the flash in the audience until it disappeared.

This show is an absolute must. Certainly the ultimate rock show. If you're on this site you just can't miss it. Chances are we won't be seeing Fripp touring again after this summer so this is pretty much a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. 

Great review! Thanks. And at least Fripp didn't stop the show, so it seems like he is mellowing in old age!

Getting more excited for Monday by the moment.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 13:17
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

That was me who was taking all these flash photographs!

Hundreds of them and I've never been caught since '94.

Even have one of Bobby changing clothes after the show. 

Does that mean...you have pictures of Robert Fripp...naked?!?!

:p
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 13:19
Yeah, but he didn't care, the show was over.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 13:29
I always knew he was a hippy at heart.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 21:38

Rieflin is the fourth drummer, and I was expecting to see a drum kit on the riser above the stage!  However, he only played keyboards (as far as I could tell) during the entire show.  Stacey also played extensive keyboards.

I'd never seen so much keyboard action in a King Crimson show (and I saw Fripp and Cross play dueling Mellotrons in 1973!!).  
Except for Harrison, of the percussion/keyboard players I didn't know who was who.  Thanks.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2017 at 23:47

Originally posted by stegor stegor wrote:

LOL  I'm trying to think of an appropriate King Crimson song title to apply, but my mind is a blank!!   The only thing that comes to mind is this: 

The saga of Rodney Toady.

Rodney was a sad young man, because he was...fat and ugly, and no one liked...him. Children ran up to him in the street, and pointed, and shouted "Rodney is a sad young man because he is fat and ugly!" And then they ran away laughing. Rodney shouted "I will chase you, and, and hit you, and m-make you cry!" But as Rodney was so...fat, he could not run fast enough, and the frustration of his complete impotence made him even sadder.

Hah! I couldn't think of one either so I went with the Zappa reference. Rodney Toady would have worked.
 Post Reply Post Reply