Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteven Wilson appreciation thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steven Wilson appreciation thread
    Posted: July 10 2017 at 06:44
Appreciation/praise only please. If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't even bother posting here. I'm sure there are plenty of other threads on other parts of the forum for you.

I can't get enough of The Same Asylum As Before! Such a gloriously catchy chorus! I'd like it to be August 18th now, please!

Edited by RoeDent - July 10 2017 at 11:24
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2017 at 09:33
Me too. Pariah is out of this world!

Steven Wilson is an awesome musician; he has explored a lot of territory, and he is a workaholic! No drug either...
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2017 at 15:35
Looks like a nice fellow.

Musicien superbe.

Could use a little more humour in his music, though.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2017 at 21:26
I got to know Steven Wilson / Porcupine Tree by the time of Grace for Drowning. I had heard about him (them) for a good while already, but hadn't got any albums yet. So Grace for Drowning was having such great critics and all, considering it the new great prog masterpiece to rival the 70's ones. However, I did get that one and really liked it a lot... it sounded like the way modern prog should sound at the time (even though it had many good retro elements). Next I got the live Porcupine Tree "Coma Divine", which happened to be available at the store I usually visit, and had read some good reviews at the time too. I really loved it, and from there I got all the Gavin Harrison era Porcupine Tree albums, and later on the previous Steven Wilson one. Later on, I got The Raven at the time it was relesed, and loved it too. So far, my favourite Steven Wilson / Porcupine Tree album is The Raven, and my favourite Porcupine Tree album is Coma Divine (it seems I do need to get some other of the pre-Gavin Harrison era albums too, though I have the feeling they sound more pop and less ambient than Coma Divine).
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2017 at 22:57
^ You must get Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and Recordings (psych-pop). Essential stuff imho and probably my very favorites from him/them.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 20:47
Yeah... I think Recordings is the one that I was more interested in, though I had the impression that one was a limited edition and didn't go for it in time. I haven't looked for it to see if it's still available. I was also interested in "The Sky Moves Sideways", since I really loved that song from Coma Divine, and would be interested in having the complete version (though perhaps this shorter one has got the best of the song, such as "Thick as a Brick" on Live Bursting Out). However, my very favourite PT songs are "The Sky Moves Sideways" itself and "Radioactive Toy" (both I know from their Coma Divine versions), and "Russia on Ice" (that one I know from the Warzawa version).
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 23:30
Recordings has been re-issued in 2010, I think.

Sky Moves is definitely a top 3.

Stupid Dream is their best.

You might also want to check out Metanoia: improvisations from the Signify sessions with a strong Crimson vibe. That one's pretty cool.

Have fun.

Edited by Barbu - July 12 2017 at 23:33
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 21:42
Oh well, it seems I'll have to come back into a Porcupine Tree buying period in order to get the last albums I'm missing.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 12:52
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

^ You must get Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun and Recordings (psych-pop). Essential stuff imho and probably my very favorites from him/them.

Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are very good 'psych prog pop rock'......
too many adjectives..?
;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Blaqua View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 15:51

I'm not familiar with most of Porcupine Tree or his solo career, however, my favorite songs by him are definitely Holy Drinker and The Raven that Refused to Sing.

BTW, I like the catchy Permanating too, his latest pop endeavour. Don't bash me..Ouch

Edited by Blaqua - July 14 2017 at 15:54
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 18:37
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun are very good 'psych prog pop rock'......
too many adjectives..?
;)

PPPR.

Perfect, man.
Tao2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 18:45
I was glad he did that!
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 19:44
I lucked out in 1992.  I was cruising for late 60's psychedelic LP's in a huge Record ( not CD) store.  The owner was Elvis obsessed but the introverted long haired HELP turned me on to two of my favorite bands over a 30 minute period.   Sun Dial and Porcupine Tree.  On a Saturday, I took home "On the Sunday of Life" and by Monday I was hooked and never turned back. 

Sometimes We arrive late at a party.  I was "tail-end late" in the back of the caboose of the  Mars Volta, PFM, Gentile Giant, Van der Graaf Generator parties. Cry   ...However, I woke up early, eager with bated breath, anticipating each successive Porcupine Tree, Ozric Tentacles, ELP, and "Man or Astroman" release.   And then I bought them and played them to death.

I'm sure You Guys have seen the "early-bird-man" beginning of band's arc.  And I'll also bet you've hopped on board the "better-late-then-never" band' bandwagon too.   My point?  You feel, perceive, and get a totally different perspective "waiting for agonizing months" to snap up your secret-band-crushes' next release.  Meanwhile, the late crowd gorges on a "band's entire career" over-the-span-of-a-month.  I've been there, done that, got that T-Shirt.Ouch

I thank my lucky stars,  I got to delve into, devour, and drill down deep with Steven Wilson- from the beginning.   

Edited by omphaloskepsis - January 16 2018 at 21:15
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 04:53
I like quite a bit of what he's done over the years. I loved the heavier PT era and have struggled to find much to like in PT's earlier period. His solo stuff has been great for the most part. Overall, I find his music appeals to me more when he does longer songs. So much more for me to chew on, on those longer pieces
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 11:59
I have all his solo output on vinyl as well as PT vinyl. Talking only Steven Wilson though, I very much enjoy his music, To the Bone has been a challenge for me to get to the level of the others. I have zero issue with the pop music inspirations, non prog attributes of this album, I'm just not connecting with it emotionally like I do the others. The songs are good, Permanating is good pop music.

As normal the sound quality, mastering, mixing of this album is stellar. He cut the vinyl as a 45RPM which is super nice, but really everything he does as an engineer is excellent.

I really wonder what he will do next, HCE really setup this album as a more pop oriented mix.......I'd like to see Marco Minnemann back on drums. We have tickets to see him in May, he always puts on a great live show.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 21:21
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I like quite a bit of what he's done over the years. I loved the heavier PT era and have struggled to find much to like in PT's earlier period. His solo stuff has been great for the most part. Overall, I find his music appeals to me more when he does longer songs. So much more for me to chew on, on those longer pieces

Perhaps the live Coma Divine could help you with the earlier period. I do love that one, though it is indeed not as heavy as the Gavin Harrison era... it's much more ambient, but with longer tracks at least.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 02:38
Yes Coma Divine should tickle his fancy methinks...also happens to be the best thing Wilson and cohorts ever released.
I absolutely adore the way Chris Maitland sounds on the drums. You guys can keep Gavin to yourselves! Chris will always be my fave with PT and Coma Divine epitomises why.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 02:54
His music reminds me of the beauty of Britain, whether municipal or aristocratic.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 21:35
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Yes Coma Divine should tickle his fancy methinks...also happens to be the best thing Wilson and cohorts ever released.
I absolutely adore the way Chris Maitland sounds on the drums. You guys can keep Gavin to yourselves! Chris will always be my fave with PT and Coma Divine epitomises why.

Exactly what I think about Coma Divine. It was actually my first PT album, and I really loved it, and I feel there's something missing on the Gavin Harrison albums. Indeed I like Chris Maitland drumming better on this album than the Gavin Harrison ones. I also got the live album Warzawa, and it's a very nice companion to Coma Divine... just a bit less stellar, but it's got some songs that complete the collection. However, for me the best thing Wilson has released is The Raven that Refused to Sing... and if only he had released a live album of that tour that might even have topped it (it is the one concert from him I have attended, and it's perhaps the best one I could have hoped for, playing the whole Raven album plus many of my favourites from Grace for Drowning... all songs I really love... plus Radioactive Toy at the end).
fracturematt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2018 at 12:47
Great producter, great songwriter.  I wish PT would reunite.
 Post Reply Post Reply