Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTwo debut albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Which debut do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
42 [65.63%]
18 [28.13%]
4 [6.25%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 21:29
Five Leaves Left
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 21:56
ELP's debut for me. Not that "court" isn't great but I think maybe it's a bit over rated. Most of "moondchild" is pretty boring, the title track is probably at least five minutes too long and "I talk to the wind" is nice but maybe sounds a bit out of place. ELP's debut has a few show offy kind of things on it but at least there are no silly songs like the ones they put on their albums after it. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 12 2017 at 21:56
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2017 at 21:58
So 26 votes for KC, 12 votes for ELP and one vote for Nick Drake. Smile
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 11:34
From the options I prefer TCOTCK, but voted other: Gentle Giant's debut.
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2017 at 08:45
absolutely love both

voted ELP
Prog On!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 13:42
ITCOTCK.....and I don't know why people keep asking these polls...it will always be the best debut.....ever.

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 14:26
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Crimson out of these two although I am enjoying the ELP debut more now since I first got it.
Too boring to opt for the 'other' option but there are some debuts from around the same time that I vastly prefer:
Amon Düül ll - Phallus Dei
Magma - Kobaïa
Can - Monster Movie
Santana - s/t
Colosseum - Valentyne Suite
East of Eden - Mercator Projected
Embryo - Opal

I'd also take all of those over the choices. While not as stereotypically prog as I'm sure some lists would be, and people might argue my choices, but...
From 1969/70 studio album debuts, I'd include (in no particular order):

Igor Wakhevitch - Logos
Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditation
Miroslav Vitous - Infinite Search
Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms
Supersister - Present From Nancy
Nucleus - Elastic Rock
Demon Fuzz - Afreaka
White Noise - An Electric Storm
Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk
Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant
Egg - Egg
Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day
etc. (think those are all debuts)

Voting "other" is boring, but I will since I don't really love either of the listed choices even though I like both, and would vote for Court between just those two. Course there's nothing wrong with the choices, those are big names, but I have somewhat quirkier tastes than most.

Edited by Logan - July 18 2017 at 14:34
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 14:30
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

ITCOTCK.....and I don't know why people keep asking these polls...it will always be the best debut.....ever.

Wink
"'Tis true, 'tis true. Witness my knife's sharp point!"- from Shakespeare's play Titus Andronicus.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 16:49
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Trespass for "other."
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 16:52
^ Possibly because From Genesis to Revelation is considered to be Genesis' debut album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 21:19
^Whoops. I knew that too but for some reason was more focused on the time period. Silly me. However, many people do consider Trespass to be Genesis first real starting point in the same way some consider TYA to be Yes's starting point. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 22:08
I've come across people who consider Trespass to be Genesis' true debut (the first one that is truly representative of Gabriel era Genesis). I almost listed VdGG's The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other (my fave VdGG album) since the Aerosol Grey Machine can be seen as more of a Peter Hammill album as it was originally intended to be released under his name.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 05:10
I know people who believe Autobahn is the first Kraftwerk album. I know other people who think that Kraftwerk 1 is their debut. Then again I believe they made their debut back with Organisation - Tone Float. A rose is still a rose...
Don't know why I said that but I am enjoying a cup of coffee in my boxers and a fine pair of yellow socks.

I thought about the titles you mentioned too Greg - many of them are faves of mine as well as you probably know by now, but like you I too questilned their porkyness. Most old school prog fans I know tend to stick to a tried and tested format which rather defeats the purpose of the genre to begin with but I digress.
But if we're talking progressive (big P) releases ca 1969 then:

White Noise - An Electric Storm
Holger Czukay - Canaxis
Xhol Caravan - Electrip
Clark Hutchinson- A = MH2
Cromagnon - Orgasm

I did forget one of my favourite Danish psych/prog debuts in Burning Red Ivanhoe's M144. Stable inventory here in Denmark.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 05:46
There are people who think 90125 is Yes' debut. Apparently it's not. Couldn't find another like it before that. All this boring disappointing stuff like And You And I, Gates Of Delirium, Starship Trooper, Heart Of The Sunrise, Awaken, Close To The Edge etc. Dunno why I keep buying it all again...

Anyway.. a new line up is a debut. It just might not be under the normal sales brand.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 09:16
And back with Genesis, I have come across someone who assumed that the 1983 self-titled Genesis album was the band's first. Not surprising. Doing that does seem to announce that a band is re-inventing itself, wants to be seen as starting from scratch, as self-titled does imply debut album to me.

^^ I forgot about Organisation - Tone Float. I like that album a lot. I think of it as pre-Kraftwerk. In such cases I tend to think along the lines of Organisation/ Kraftwerk, almost as an entity that combines the projects but separate too. I've been trying to rite something more detailed on that, but my brain is not firing due to lack of sleep (so I deleted most of what I was writing in this post). And David, of course I know you like various of those albums very much. When I think of Afreaka!, for instance, I always think of you. Off on a tangent, but what a boring site this would be to me if the archives stuck with what is conservatively deemed Prog. Most of the music I like in the 'chives I don't label as Prog-proper.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 12:28

Thanks man I'm proud of that. I love Afreaka! and play it on a weekly basis - especially during the warmer months. Lately I've been on a bit of a funk and jazz kick incessantly listening to Funkadelic, Parliament, Tim Maia (Brazilian funk from the 70s no less. Highly recommended to people with legs) as well as Coltrane, Don Cherry (fun fact: his son does the weather on our national tv channel DR1) and Yusef Lateef - the latter's Eastern Sounds and Blue albums are two I simply cannot stop listening to. Helps me relax my slipped disks at night (weed also helps).
I know this probably isn't the thread for this but PA is such a slow and uninteresting place these days that I gather no one will make a fuss about a Dane asking for jazz recs in unorthodox places. Anyway Greg, do you know of similar sounding records? I'm thinking chillax jazz but in slippers and pirate clothes. Soothing sounds but also ones that challenge the ear. Eastern and psychedelic influences are most welcome. I know I am not making much sense, but if anyone is able to decipher me it's probably you.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 14:35
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Thanks man I'm proud of that. I love Afreaka! and play it on a weekly basis - especially during the warmer months. Lately I've been on a bit of a funk and jazz kick incessantly listening to Funkadelic, Parliament, Tim Maia (Brazilian funk from the 70s no less. Highly recommended to people with legs) as well as Coltrane, Don Cherry (fun fact: his son does the weather on our national tv channel DR1) and Yusef Lateef - the latter's Eastern Sounds and Blue albums are two I simply cannot stop listening to. Helps me relax my slipped disks at night (weed also helps).
I know this probably isn't the thread for this but PA is such a slow and uninteresting place these days that I gather no one will make a fuss about a Dane asking for jazz recs in unorthodox places. Anyway Greg, do you know of similar sounding records? I'm thinking chillax jazz but in slippers and pirate clothes. Soothing sounds but also ones that challenge the ear. Eastern and psychedelic influences are most welcome. I know I am not making much sense, but if anyone is able to decipher me it's probably you.

I can decipher you, but I just can't think of great recommendations. I love John Coltrane, Don Cherry, and Yusef Lateef's Eatsern SOunds is a msterpiece.

I love cosmic jazz, and jazz funk, jazz with an eastern vibe/ exotics, and cool jazz, but I can't think of anything that quite fits the bill. You might know all of these already, but I feel like mentioning albums like Herbie Mann's Stone Flute, Alice Coltrane's Universal Consciousness and Journey in Satchidananda (love those), various Pharoah Sanders, Janko Nilovic, Don Harper, The Roger Webb Sound and a host of stuff, but I can't think of anything that quite fits the bill. Basically I'm just listing some of my favourite jazzy artists there.

While I wouldn't say that this is what you're looking for, it's quite energetic, I think you'll like it, so I'm mentioning it anyway: Oriental Wind and Okay Temiz'

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 08:13
Ahh thanks Greg you're a peach I am really digging Okay Temiz as we speak. Definitely a future purchase.
I know and love most of the other ones you've mentioned, but I guess that isn't too strange seeing as our tastes often cross paths.
Don Harper and The Roger Webb Sound though are both uninown territories for me, so I have some investigation ahead of me. Thanks again.

As a quick thank you I thought it appropriate to recommend you something back in the same vein...although this one came out last year and was recommended to me by Simon (Mascodagama) who seems to be on the same musical wavelength as we are. The Comet Is Coming - Channel The Spirits: https://thecometiscoming.bandcamp.com/album/channel-the-spirits

- Douglas Adams
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 08:28
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

There are people who think 90125 is Yes' debut. Apparently it's not. Couldn't find another like it before that. All this boring disappointing stuff like And You And I, Gates Of Delirium, Starship Trooper, Heart Of The Sunrise, Awaken, Close To The Edge etc. Dunno why I keep buying it all again...

LOL

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 08:42
Hey David and Greg, as bold of a statement as that would be to make, I also daresay I might be on similar wavelengths as you regarding this fantastic exotic/funky/cosmic jazz conversation you are having on two threads now. One of my recent discoveries is a lone album from Milt Ward & Virgo Spectrum. Really pleasant funky cosmic exotic jazz.

Also, a bit more on the avant-garde side of things, one of my favorite jazz albums of all time is George Russell's Electronic Sonata for Souls Loved by Nature, which utilizes tapes of North Ugandian folk music and recordings from Electronic Music Studios (EMS) of the Swedish Radio in Stockholm, which I found extremely fascinating. Highly recommended.

Don't know if I hit the nail on the head as to what is discussed here, but I thought it wouldn't be inappropriate if I threw my two cents in.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>