FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed1982-1983

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1982-1983
    Posted: July 13 2017 at 02:58
Since the newly expanded Strawberry Bricks book has chosen 1982 as its cut-off point, I'm wondering what changed between those two years 1982 and 1983.
Discuss, again.

Edited by Stool Man - July 13 2017 at 02:58
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Matti View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 05:04
Well, I don't think that the chosen cut-off point necessarily implicates a notable change between '82 and '83.
I tend to think that the change was gradual, going on from year to year. One just has to choose the point somewhere, and the author may have chosen it due to his favourite albums of those years, and the amount of new work he was willing to put into it.

This is just my thought, and if someone else will find better answers, great!

P.S. For me this is an interesting question: I'm soon to release an updated edition of my first prog book, dealing with the years 1967-1979. The idea of pushing the time limit by a year or two for the new edition would have been nice, but instead there'll be a supplement that introduces further 300 artists very briefly.

Edited by Matti - July 13 2017 at 05:50
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 05:36
Progressive rock really died around '75. I really didn't hear anything tremendously innovative after that although there were a few good albums by some who refused to quit. Of course Marillion will come up on this thread but they really weren't doing anything new. I guess the author wanted to avoid any arguments over when prog really died.  If it wasn't over by 1975 then it was definitely ancient history by 1983. 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 06:17
In 1983 I've been called to military service. Maybe this? Big smile
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 11:53
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

Progressive rock really died around '75. I really didn't hear anything tremendously innovative after that although there were a few good albums by some who refused to quit. Of course Marillion will come up on this thread but they really weren't doing anything new. I guess the author wanted to avoid any arguments over when prog really died.  If it wasn't over by 1975 then it was definitely ancient history by 1983. 
I agree with you, though I would give 1977 as the date that things stoped growing, evolving and challenging the standards.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 15:58

With bands like Big Big Train, Haken, Riverside and Lazuli (and many others) making phenomenal new prog, I think your opening statement is absolute, total hogwash. You just need to open your ears and mind.

Edited by Hercules - July 13 2017 at 15:59
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 22:42

Progressive rock really died around '75.

LOLLOLLOL
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2017 at 23:33
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

With bands like Big Big Train, Haken, Riverside and Lazuli (and many others) making phenomenal new prog, I think your opening statement is absolute, total hogwash. You just need to open your ears and mind.

You're probably asking too much of him.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 00:41
Fashion. Unlike what people like to think; just because a clock ticks from '79 - '80 or 99 to 00 (or more accurately here '00 to 01) does not mean too much social pop culture change. The changes have been decided but it takes time for the arbiters of society (fashion mags, ad agencies etc) to decide on what you should be doing to be a beautiful person.

1982 meant the height of new wave punk pop rock disco. 1983 means Madonna. It's all in the hairdos. Either '70s over-elaborate or punk short to Big hair, extensions, even more hairspray and shoulder pads. And even more so with women.

mattpodj View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2017 at 00:55
Someone has to dust off their Rush discography!
Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 09:04
A thought that occurs is that 1983 is when Marillion hit the big time - though they were actively gigging in 1982 and put out Market Square Heroes then, it'd be Script For a Jester's Tear that really put them on the map. (Market Square Heroes floated about in the bottom reaches of the singles chart, Script hit number 7 in the album charts.) You could see 1983 as the point where a new generation of bands picked up the torch, and I suspect that to truly do the neo-prog scene justice would mean expanding the book even further.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 11:57
Prog never died but was never released to the media.  We lost our favourite music papers like Melody Maker and Sounds.   Then a great TV show Old Grey Whistle Test got cut...  Lots of my favourite bands came from this show...

Bands that started arounds the 80s apart from Marillion were Pendragon, Pallas, IQ, Twelfth Night, Galahad, Tangent and lots more.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 13:45
Great! Another prog is dead thread! Confused
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2017 at 13:57
Whatever.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 03:27
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Since the newly expanded Strawberry Bricks book has chosen 1982 as its cut-off point, I'm wondering what changed between those two years 1982 and 1983.
Discuss, again.

I partially proof-read (facts, mostly) Charles' book and if he had asked me to do so, it's because I had asked him a few years back to extend his timeline to the 80's and beyond.

I was more hoping for him to expand into RIO, as opposed to neo-prog , as the 80's are the THE decade for both genres.  But he did tell me that he wasn't sufficiently knowledgeable in those genres and therefore not confident enough to go beyond 81
 Post Reply Post Reply