Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRadio play - waste of time ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2017 at 09:14
Ahhh, do remember 

I'm on my seventh album
My day job is Sales and Marketing, I do this professionally.
Yes, I've put a lot of time in. 

Now, "results do vary" depending on the band and music, but there's a tendency to think that the more effort you put in, the more effort you get out. By all means give it a try, prove me wrong. 

The thread is a question - "Radio Play - waste of time ?" - this is also not me "trying to get my music on these stations" but having actually done it. No results. No traceable, provable results, that is.

As a measure, I did number of mentions on the internet. Never went up after any form of radio play. Site visits to Bandcamp never went noticeably up after radio play. 

"If I decide to play your music on my radio station, am I wasting my time ? "- depends on what your reasons are for playing it, of course. That's a pretty dubious conclusion. ;-)

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2017 at 09:23
How can anyone deny radio play helps artists? Is it absoutely necessary? Not. Can it be a catalyst to great exposure? Definately. Depends on the music of course but i've acquired a lot of interesting music from internet radio (forget traditional AM/FM these days with the exception of college stations and listener supported / non-corporate entities)

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 02:27
Lots of Hopi drum stuff, I expect. 

"How can anyone deny..... " ?? Easy. By looking at the figures as to what happens with site visits, sales and downloads afterwards. 

That's how things are done in Marketing. 

There's "can it be a catalyst to great exposure" and "is it actually, in the real world ? I know, let's measure it." 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 06:24
^ of course radio play doesn't mean squat if your music sucks or if you're creating something so esoteric that the audience won't get it. But having airplay where many individuals can hear a given piece of music that they wouldn't have heard otherwise cannot be a bad thing. And how can you look at someone else's site visits and sales? Are you talking about your own only? 

Maybe marketing doesn't know everything. That's why some of the most successful artists today carve out their niche without any "expertise" from such parasitic forces.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 10:50
Just one quick example. A friend of mine who is in a rather famous cult metal band had one track heard on Internet radio. That exposure heard by someone famous resulted in being on a video game which earns the band a few thousand a month in royalties that never would have happened without the exposure.

ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 11:01
There's also the factor that not all radio stations are equal - online stations playing literally any free music they can find aren't going to be as helpful as say, an over the air radio station in a big city that plays similar music (although, as a prog band that can be difficult - that being said there are prog rock shows around). "Radio" is such a broad term these days that it's not very useful to analyze it unless you're specific about what kind of radio station gave you what kind of results.

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 12:02
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Just one quick example. A friend of mine who is in a rather famous cult metal band had one track heard on Internet radio. That exposure heard by someone famous resulted in being on a video game which earns the band a few thousand a month in royalties that never would have happened without the exposure.

So it's down to luck, or maybe just nobody likes your music?

I'm still waiting for someone to discover my old band's music on the Internet.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 03:55
(Hint for slow readers - the squiggly mark at the end of the post title means that this ia a question, ie. other experience may occur and is equally valid, but if you've not tried doing this, your comments are not valid and it's a case of "opinion over knowledge". ) 

Well, let's face it, it's easy say "Oh, I've got a famous friend and this happened to him." 

It's also to easy to assume that sending your music everywhere will produce radio play (probably will) and that getting it played on decent stations is a good idea (fairly self evident one, though) - it is a bit hammer-headed to assume that enough play WILL produce results and that "marketing isn't always right". 

It's also very easy to assume things will work when you've not done them.

As I think I mentioned, I've been in Marketing for 11 years and do this professionally, albeit with software. We use a lot of analytic tools as there's no point sending out marketing e-mails and then not looking at who opens or reads them (simplification there). 

I am (was) a prog rock musician on the "esoteric" end of the scale. I did choose my audience pretty carefully, when I wasn't getting ripped off by student radio stations. As I think I mentioned, the results from being played on radio are pretty poor. Marketing nowadays is designed to measure click throughs and site visits and those didn't increase as a result of radio play - not measurably, anyway. You'd expect some kind of peak, never happened. 

So the question is "did I choose the wrong stations or was the music wrong ? " - well, my albums here rarely score less than four stars, so let's assume the music is OK. Radio stations I chose were mainly established prog rock ones. Different countries. 

So, what's happening ? 

My experience (and it will vary with other people) is that listeners tend to just browse music now. There's no great depth of interest and a large number of bands out there. Most are rubbish, but Joe Public doesn't have enough knowledge to separate the wheat from the chaff. So good bands and musicians get lost in a sea of anodyne rubbish. 

And I think most people are streaming now and not bothering with internet or conventional radio, to be honest. 

If anyone's had any success with radio play, I'd be delighted to hear it. 

As for those who are expressing an opinion without having tried it - and properly measured the results - "opinion versus knowledge". 

Edited by Davesax1965 - August 13 2017 at 03:55

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 03:59
By "esoteric", by the way.... example. This has been played quite a fair bit on Prog Rock radio. 

https://soundcloud.com/brotherhoodofthemachine/6-samarkand-suite

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 07:09
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

So it's down to luck, or maybe just nobody likes your music?

I'm still waiting for someone to discover my old band's music on the Internet.

Yep. It really boils down to luck. However luck does result from puttings one's eggs in multliple baskets. Radio play may not be as relevant as it once was and may be utterly irrelevant in the prog world but i have heard some great prog music on internet prog stations that i bought immediately. Just my experience. I think one's goal should be to make music that connects with others and try everything possible. Unfortunately there's a lot of great music out there to compete with so just because you didn't find success doesn't mean you didn't rock the world :)  Keep trying!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 10:05
I think "play what you really like, do it with feeling, let it find it's own level out there. "

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12