Topic ClosedKing Crimson, Mexico City, 07/16/17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson, Mexico City, 07/16/17
    Posted: July 17 2017 at 21:54
     So I just got to see King Crimson live at last, and indeed they showed why they are the legends they are, and why their live performances are legendary. No need of light shows or any kind of theatrics... not even screens... they only do their thing, play music. I think they are touring with the best set-list they have ever done (or at least, since the 70's), really taking music from every era of their career, and it just sounds amazing. Also, I was amazed at the public, everyone was seated listening to music... I never thought I'd see the day (or night, rather) I'd get to attend to a rock concert of so many like-minded people (even on prog) who don't really need to be standing and shouting and all to enjoy the music.

However, the songs. It was all great, of course, and I enjoyed it all, but the first half had many songs that aren't really among my favourites. Beginning with "Larks Tongues pt 1", which was never one I really liked so much, has been fixed for me on this version, somewhat heavier, and even more so, with Collins jazzy flute filling the spaces that made the original one rather dull for me. Collins even added a fragment of the Mexican National Anthem with his flute within his solo section on this one. Then "Pictures of a City", "Cirkus", "Vroom", "Hell Hounds of Krimm", "Meltdown", and "Radical Action II"... neither have been among my favourites, but they were mostly played very heavy and it was of course enjoyable... being there live you just have to enjoy the experience. Then comes Level 5, and things just get great, heavy and powerful, with the 3 drums added as well as sax. Then Islands and Indiscipline. Indiscipline was actually rather sung on this version, instead of talking in that maniac Belew way... I'm not really sure which way I prefer it, though... perhaps this new one. And in the end instead of saying "I like it", he said it in spanish "Me gusta".

For the second half, they begin with "Neurotica" and the second half of "Lizard" (a shame for me, since I really love "Prince Rupert Awakes" and "Bolero", while I don't really care for the rest of Lizard... but once again, it was played really nice, I would have to be able to listen to this version again and check out the studio one to point out the difference). And then the best of the concert begins. "Epitaph" comes in to the roar of the crowd, one of my very favourites from the band. Still, nothing beats the original studio one, and on this particular song Jacko just can't do it justice (just as I had already heard on other live versions sung by him), but still hearing it live is just and experience hard to come by. Then "Easy Money", "The Letters" (another one I haven't really loved until this line-up played it), "Sailor's Tale", all great stuff, and then my biggest surprise, they went for "Exiles", which I understand they haven't been playing very often and I really love... the only downside is that the violin was really missed on this one (and the keyboards were perhaps lower in the mix than optimal for this one). Then the combo "Talking Drum" / "Larks Tongues 2"... Talking Drum was rather weak, but Larks was just great stuff to listen to. And "Starless"... really, that's one piece every prog fan should be able to listen to live, one of the most beautiful pieces to enjoy. On this one, by the time they reach the crazier part (after the ominous bass crescendo) the lights on the stage were slowly turned to red, giving an ominous and evil atmosphere to match the music... and thus the Crimson King was present in his full glory. To end with the encore, "Court of the Crimson King" and "Schizoid Man". Hardly could I hope to listen to such a collection of amazing masterpieces live again as this one from "Epitaph" to the end of the show.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 10:14
Not sure if you liked it with that review...:p

But sounds like a good one to me!
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2017 at 20:33
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Not sure if you liked it with that review...:p

But sounds like a good one to me!

OK then, it was a fantastic concert and I believe it's the best show one could hope to catch at the moment. It's a must see for any prog fan, and as far as I'm concerned, it's a concert as relevant as if The Beatles were still all alive and were doing concerts. Or just as relevant and Led Zeppelin reuniting a few years ago, while Crimson are playing much better than Zep mannaged on that reunion.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 13:00
Good to read! 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 13:29
Good to hear as they are going to be in my area in October and I hope to make it!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2017 at 21:28
You have to make it. You have no choice, or else you won't be able to call yourself a progger anymore. You might just as well retire from PA in shame if you don't
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2017 at 06:47
^ Proud to say, I have my tickets in hand for the October 26th show here in Mayberry RFD....otherwise known as Raleigh, NC (still can't believe they are coming here)!  Love where they are going to play, the performing arts center where the ballet, classical concerts, etc... are held.

I guess I can retain my PA membership and do an Argent imitation and "Hold my Head up, hold it up High!"....sorry bad pun   :)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2017 at 21:02
Very nice, you should enjoy it indeed. Still, if you want to know the set-list it just can't happen, since they are changing songs every show. Yeah, you can have a good idea of what they will be playing, but they might just as well drop a few of the songs you might be expecting in favor of some other. I guess I had luck, the only one I really missed was Red, but otherwise I did get mostly all the ones I hoped to hear, plus Exiles, which I really didn't expect them to play. That second half of the show was just a killer one. Well, at the very least I think you are safe to expect Starless and Schizoid Man.
EV539 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2017 at 22:45
I wanted to attend the show in Mx city, a friend of mine also wanted to go but I think he didn't made up his mind.

Can you tell me the setlist of the show? Or is it available on setlist fm?

Anyway, thanks for reading. (:
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 22:24
Yeah, the set-lists are on that page. https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/king-crimson/2017/teatro-metropolitan-mexico-city-mexico-3e44933.html That is the one I saw... and I think I was rather lucky (even though they didn't play Red).
 Post Reply Post Reply