FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg is dead, so dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 09:00
I find this thread quite amusing.  Considering it's a Prog site!...Big smile

Would like the original poster to count all the bands listed in prog Archives and come back to me and say it's dead!!Wink

Edited by noni - July 24 2017 at 09:02
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 10:20
Doesn't DEAD mean that there is nothing living? If there has been even ONE prog album released this year then i conclude that is is not dead. 

I think what's going on here is that prog is not as popular as everybody wants it to be. Let's face it, it will never be the early 70s again and it will never attain the signficance of the first phase. Yes, it's middle-aged and doesn't get out of the house as much as it used to, but DEAD? I think not

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 11:26
Long live prog! I need it every night
Long live prog! Come on and join the line
Long live prog! Be it dead or alive

With apologies to Pete Townsend
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 13:36
Dead for you maybe.

One thing I do not care for is "genre" labels.  So much prog can be cross pollinated into pop, jazz, funk etc.  

To me "prog" is a music that defies genre labels.  It tends to carry a little of everything in an intelligent unique and sometimes comical parody type of interpretation of music.  

Personally, it will never die because prog contains a little of everything.

(but the people who call themselves "prog rock" fans will hate me, because I also like some Jazz as well which I would consider more "prog" then jazz (see Kamasi Washington).  Once again supporting my statement that genre labels such as "prog" and "jazz" are so freaking limiting it serves no purpose.  I come to this site not because I am specifically a "prog" fan, but because it follows a lot of music that I like.  Does this make any sense?)
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 14:29
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Doesn't DEAD mean that there is nothing living? If there has been even ONE prog album released this year then i conclude that is is not dead. 

I think what's going on here is that prog is not as popular as everybody wants it to be. Let's face it, it will never be the early 70s again and it will never attain the signficance of the first phase. Yes, it's middle-aged and doesn't get out of the house as much as it used to, but DEAD? I think not

In that case it has never been dead. If you go back in time you will find that there is not only just one for each year but several. This was the case even during the so called "dark days of prog" which I suppose went approximately from 78-92. Despite what rock critics or rock snobs might say it never died. The thing is there are still people who don't know about it(even those who are fans of some of the well known bands). There's probably music genres I don't know about also. 

As for the second paragraph I agree with that too. Prog is more popular than it's been since the mid seventies or so but yeah it's still not have as popular as it was back then. It has gone through different phases of popularity though. I think the neo scene helped a little bit in the eighties but it was still underground. Then Dream Theater helped raise it's profile as well as the continuing success of the old dinosaur bands. Then bam the internet caught on and it really started to get a new life. Even still it took a while in the underground even with the internet to get to where it is now. Right now it has a strong cult following but really not much else. The cult has grown but it's still only a relatively small percentage of music fans who are really into it.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 24 2017 at 14:35
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 15:07
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

In that case it has never been dead. If you go back in time you will find that there is not only just one for each year but several. This was the case even during the so called "dark days of prog" which I suppose went approximately from 78-92. Despite what rock critics or rock snobs might say it never died. The thing is there are still people who don't know about it(even those who are fans of some of the well known bands). There's probably music genres I don't know about also. 

As for the second paragraph I agree with that too. Prog is more popular than it's been since the mid seventies or so but yeah it's still not have as popular as it was back then. It has gone through different phases of popularity though. I think the neo scene helped a little bit in the eighties but it was still underground. Then Dream Theater helped raise it's profile as well as the continuing success of the old dinosaur bands. Then bam the internet caught on and it really started to get a new life. Even still it took a while in the underground even with the internet to get to where it is now. Right now it has a strong cult following but really not much else. The cult has grown but it's still only a relatively small percentage of music fans who are really into it.

Yep. Everyone should also keep in mind that music genres are mere snapshot definitions and that musical elements cross-pollinate and blur. What may not seem like progressive rock, many elements can be heard in other genres thus the burgeoning cross-over prog scene going on (think Radiohead etc). 

As far as other music genres, have you heard of Grrrl Riot, complextro, bubble trance, fallen angel, gauze pop, nerdcore, neurofunk, vegan straight edge? some of these are ridicululous deritivatives of other genres but some are quite distinct :)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 18:19
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

[Yep. Everyone should also keep in mind that music genres are mere snapshot definitions and that musical elements cross-pollinate and blur. What may not seem like progressive rock, many elements can be heard in other genres thus the burgeoning cross-over prog scene going on (think Radiohead etc). 

As far as other music genres, have you heard of Grrrl Riot, complextro, bubble trance, fallen angel, gauze pop, nerdcore, neurofunk, vegan straight edge? some of these are ridicululous deritivatives of other genres but some are quite distinct :) ]

No, I haven't heard of those but have you heard of filk? Anyway, that's my point. Nobody can know everything. 

It was a good thing when Radiohead became popular. The thing is their more experimental and progressive stuff became even more popular than the stuff they were initially doing which shows that there is an audience for progressive music. I guess what annoys me is when people(mostly younger people)seem to think that this is something new. It's like when the Mars Volta were around(remember them?)and the younger people who were into punk found out about them because of the previous band they evolved from(at the drive in). They might have thought prog was this new thing. Well guess what kids it isn't. :)

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 24 2017 at 18:22
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 22:13
The fact that this thread exists makes me overwhelmed with laughter, you know that prog is only around 50 years old right? 50 ****ing years old and the universe is how old? 51 years? 

A someone has the nerve to say that an infant genre like prog rock (50 years is a very short time, really) is dead? Dead? 
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 22:39
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

No, I haven't heard of those but have you heard of filk? Anyway, that's my point. Nobody can know everything. 

It was a good thing when Radiohead became popular. The thing is their more experimental and progressive stuff became even more popular than the stuff they were initially doing which shows that there is an audience for progressive music. I guess what annoys me is when people(mostly younger people)seem to think that this is something new. It's like when the Mars Volta were around(remember them?)and the younger people who were into punk found out about them because of the previous band they evolved from(at the drive in). They might have thought prog was this new thing. Well guess what kids it isn't. :)

Well, kids learn about what came before by those who carry the torch. I used to think metal was a totally new creation but i'm still finding new gems from the early 70s that blow my mind. Learning about all the nuances in prog has been the biggest mind expansion but there are a lot of things that are new today as well that have never been done before. Mostly in electronica but also in world music crossing and homemade instruments. But even prog was heavily based on jazz and Western classical like regular rock was based on the blues, so don't be annoyed by younger people's ignorance. They'll catch on sooner than later. Most kids hovering around the 20 year mark these days are light years ahead of previous generations as far as music history i've found, at least those who care to research such things. The internet is dog (i'm dylexic!)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2017 at 07:41
I don't think there was a whole lot from the early seventies that could be considered true metal but I get what you're saying. 

With prog and just about anything really you won't know it exists unless you look for it. I'm talking about the more obscure stuff. But it's not just prog. Say you want to get into Science Fiction. Well you might have already heard of Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke, Dick, Bradbury, Card and Herbert but if you want to go beyond the basics you would have to go out of your way to discover more. The same thing with prog. There are the obvious bands most people know about(depending on their age) but if they want to go beyond PF, Rush, Genesis, Yes, etc they need to discover it on their own and go out of their way looking for it(ie do a google search for progressive rock). Being spoon fed things in life will only give us the basics. The rest is up to us. I think most of us prog fans are music people. Not everyone is a music person. 

I do think people of different ages(and different backgrounds too for that matter)will approach things differently. Young people and younger people tend to be more internet savy(in general)than those who are a bit older. They tend to spend more time on the computer and their iphones and thefore are investigating more(not just music but things in general). The term prog is very widespread these days for example and I think even most younger people who are into music at least know what it is where as with older people most of them who know what it is are probably fans but with younger people they are not necessarily big fans. Do you know what I mean? I was talking to a guy in his upper fifties the other day who is a big classic rock fan but he never heard of King Crimson. Chances are he never heard the term progressive rock either(although I didn't actually ask him). If you are really big into stuff you will want to discover it. With the younger generation though I think they are more inclined to discover and know about things that they wouldn't necessarily know about or want to know about without the aid of the internet. The older folks didn't grow up with the internet so their way of learning about music(and things in general)probably doesn't revolve around the internet as much as the younger generation. I am being speculative and these are generalizations but it's how it seems to me. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - July 25 2017 at 08:01
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2017 at 08:36
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I like carrots. Cauliflower gives me gas.

ANYTHING gives me gas. Just wait till you hit 65.

If I had to rate the best 10 prog albums, I'd include:

The Road of Bones - IQ
Folklore - Big Big Train
The Mountain - Haken
Second Life Syndrome - Riverside
The Last Bright Light - Mostly Autumn

All recorded since 2000.

Prog has never been more alive.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2017 at 08:43
When I discovered prog in the early 70s,  my friends and I would often share our albums and often record them onto tape if we liked them.   When the time arose and we visited the record store we would buy those albums we liked..  We also had papers to read on this genre of music.    Most of my friends know I'm into prog music and to be honest,  the stuff I hear on the radio do not care for...  Women in general have a certain taste in their music...  I like that instrumental sound and good melodies in my music,  without being to harsh...  Not too keen on Metal or that heavy screaming.

Would love more radio air time or tv shows to have at least some prog bands playing on their shows.  If more people were aware of the type of music then  I'm sure lots more people will listen..  All I can do is pass on what I know and hopefully somebody will listen and like what I recommended. Smile 

I do go to concerts and it's good to see a great turnover of young faces in the audience.  So Prog is not dead as we see also a lot of great talent emerging around the world...  This main site will prove that!!...Big smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2017 at 01:55
Prog music is here to stay !! Prog will never die    (Either will Thrash )
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2017 at 05:02
"Never"? - Was any prog on the voyager golden records? - whatever is on there is likely to be the last genre standing when homo-sapiens goes extinct sometime in the next 500 years I reckon.
(the factory-fleet that will collect all the bio-mass on earth is on it's way, possibly)

Edited by M27Barney - July 26 2017 at 05:03
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2017 at 13:17
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Ahh one more for the road eh? Seems like this is a recurring thing where every once in a while an old school prog fan comes to the rescue and tell the rest of us poor souls how the world spins.
Funnily enough more than often these people post from somewhere in Britain. Coincidence or merely testiment to the fact that there are more conservatively skewed progressive rock fans inside the country that helped spawn music that sought out the unconform. Ironic? You betcha.

Another thing that always gets me with these people is that they ask for recommendations in a way that truly scares off any such attemps: 'Recommend me some of that awful new polka why don't cha? Real polka died way back when but sure why don't you guys prove me wrong. I will love hating on your suggestions.'

Reminds me of children trying out new foods:
'Here try this carrot'
'I don't like carrots'
Have you tried them?'
'I don't like carrots'
'Yes but have you tried a taste?'
Loooong wait
'Errrm....yes...and I hate it'

If you already have made up your mind about something then why seek out new answers? Don't answer that, I know. The internet is full of idiots who feel their lives are enriched by putting others down in sly and childish manners. The troll enigma.
Dude, David.......    Just an example of modern Canterbury........   the Spanish band Amoeba Split. Great stuff, definitely sounds a bit Phil Miller on guitar, but they just come across to me as a modern Fusion band. Even Magic Bus.   Where is that carefree, complex humour and genuinely fuzzy organ/bass wonderment ???   Just try-hard if you ask me....

HOMUNCULUS RES! 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2017 at 13:21
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Strangely enough, original prog had heart.  It had genuine soul and feeling, which warmed an otherwise technical music.

I agree, the music seemed to come effortlessly to those original bands.  

Although there is some decent prog music being made, much is not very palatable to me.  A friend gave me some recent Italian prog, and it sounded like music you'd play as a soundtrack for a Pinocchio movie remake!  

I miss the prog guitar heroes of old....the original guys (Howe, Fripp, Hackett, Goodsall) are still at it, but I don't hear many new ones who can pick up their legacy.  The technical chops are there, but not the heart nor inspiration. 
You forgot Jan Akkerman. Progressive rock was part of a creative  era. If you want to consider what's coming out these days prog then prog is not dead. I tend to stick to the glory years of the early seventies. 

Would you guys consider REINE FISKE?? He's prolific, adventurous (how many bands has he contributed to on how many albums over the past 20 years?) seemingly unafraid to try anything, and a lover of improvisation and spur of the moment inspiration. 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2017 at 18:42
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Ahh one more for the road eh? Seems like this is a recurring thing where every once in a while an old school prog fan comes to the rescue and tell the rest of us poor souls how the world spins.
Funnily enough more than often these people post from somewhere in Britain. Coincidence or merely testiment to the fact that there are more conservatively skewed progressive rock fans inside the country that helped spawn music that sought out the unconform. Ironic? You betcha.

Another thing that always gets me with these people is that they ask for recommendations in a way that truly scares off any such attemps: 'Recommend me some of that awful new polka why don't cha? Real polka died way back when but sure why don't you guys prove me wrong. I will love hating on your suggestions.'

Reminds me of children trying out new foods:
'Here try this carrot'
'I don't like carrots'
Have you tried them?'
'I don't like carrots'
'Yes but have you tried a taste?'
Loooong wait
'Errrm....yes...and I hate it'

If you already have made up your mind about something then why seek out new answers? Don't answer that, I know. The internet is full of idiots who feel their lives are enriched by putting others down in sly and childish manners. The troll enigma.
Dude, David.......    Just an example of modern Canterbury........   the Spanish band Amoeba Split. Great stuff, definitely sounds a bit Phil Miller on guitar, but they just come across to me as a modern Fusion band. Even Magic Bus.   Where is that carefree, complex humour and genuinely fuzzy organ/bass wonderment ???   Just try-hard if you ask me....

HOMUNCULUS RES! 
Just checked out some Homunculus Res. Hmmm, close, but not touching...........still missing something (maybe an L122 Hammond and fuzz-box.....) but then, I define Canterbury with this sound. HR are quirky, jazzy, mellow, eccentric, Prog. Closest yet.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2017 at 23:58
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

Dead for you maybe.

One thing I do not care for is "genre" labels.  So much prog can be cross pollinated into pop, jazz, funk etc.  

To me "prog" is a music that defies genre labels.  It tends to carry a little of everything in an intelligent unique and sometimes comical parody type of interpretation of music.  

Personally, it will never die because prog contains a little of everything.

(but the people who call themselves "prog rock" fans will hate me, because I also like some Jazz as well which I would consider more "prog" then jazz (see Kamasi Washington).  Once again supporting my statement that genre labels such as "prog" and "jazz" are so freaking limiting it serves no purpose.  I come to this site not because I am specifically a "prog" fan, but because it follows a lot of music that I like.  Does this make any sense?)

Makes total sense to me. I could quite happily live without ever reading another thread about what is or isn't prog, the state of prog, or when the best prog was made, etc. Because I don't give a toss. Adventurous, exciting (and yeah 'progressive') music is alive and well in many different parts of the muisical world, and that's what I dig.

As a fellow jazzer - check out Yazz Ahmed's album La Saboteuse.

Edited by Mascodagama - July 27 2017 at 23:59
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 15:36
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Originally posted by Progaholic2 Progaholic2 wrote:

Oh come on...

The words most often used as the final gasp of any fading argument anywhere. "Oh come on" does not mean "I am correct", it means "Please please please let me get what I want"

Also, nobody calling themself a progaholic would say prog is dead.

But feel free to continue being marvellous  

Edited by Tapfret - July 29 2017 at 15:44
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 21:56
Yeah, all the labels are silly.  I like Magma and I like Abba.  One is not better than the other.  Being more difficult to play or being less "accessible" doesn't make it "better." 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>