Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSeven tracks I like off seven jazzy albums....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Choose a favourite, or choose several you like
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [17.14%]
7 [20.00%]
8 [22.86%]
4 [11.43%]
3 [8.57%]
4 [11.43%]
3 [8.57%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seven tracks I like off seven jazzy albums....
    Posted: July 21 2017 at 13:24

Tracks not quite in the same order as the poll.

I was going to do more, but then that's harder for people to "scrub" through to see which appeals that they might now know yet. That wasn't the one I wanted from Umiliani, but I waned to choose something on youtube. And I think that had I chosen something from Mandingo's "The Primeval Rhythm of Life" it would have gone down better. That versus Nilovic's "Rythmes Contemporains" might have worked well.

Mutipel choice enabled: Choose a favourite, or choose several you like, or vote a million times for one you like, and maybe ten times for another you like. ;)
"It's up to you ... Anything goes. Just remember, you have 24 hours and not a second longer."

Edited by Logan - July 21 2017 at 13:31
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 12:13
Interesting selection there Greg. I only know the first two but if the remainding tracks are anything like them I am in for a real treat.
Been spinning that Nilovic album lately and there's just something wholly cinematic about his sound that genuinely speaks to me. Same feeling I get from Gourager, Axelrod, Schifrin, Vannier, Schaeffer and to a lesser extent Björn Lindh. Perhaps not too peculiar as many of them dabbled in film scores and big orchestral affairs. I just dig the way they infuse funk, jazz, psych, folk even avantguarde tendencies into the mix.

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 22 2017 at 12:15
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 16:23
I imagine that you'll enjoy them all, David -- some more than others. Those artists you've listed are all favourites of mine, and this selection is in the same world. Your descriptions and comparisons nail it. Over the last ten years I would say that this kind of music, with whatever variations, been my main musical passion.

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 02:40
Ended up voting for three tracks I enjoyed the most - Janko Nilovic's Underground Session, Vladimir Cosma's New York City Police, and Jean-Pierre Mirouze's Sexopolis (indeed, an extremely "sexy" track). Great stuff by the way, I really enjoy those kinds of moods. Smile
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 04:49
Great thread! To my shame I'd only heard the Mandingo track. Working my way through the rest now, some great stuff here. Will vote when I've given them all a proper listen.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 06:05
Outstanding selection here!

I go with Ennio, he stands out everywhere he shows up......the man sure deserves to be awarded far more prizes than ever while he is fu****g alive!....... Is it necessary to repeat he's the greatest and most prolific composer of film scores ever ?..............

The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 06:49
I know exactly what you mean Greg. Then again I have a very sensitive cut-off point to orchestral music where things all of sudden turn to cheese over magic and grandeur. All of the above have an ingenious manner of incorporating this knowledge into their work.
I find the same kind of erm... grandeur and orchestral pomp in parts of Date Course Pentagon Royal Garden's Structure et Force only there it's wrapped in avant funk and all kinds of Japanese karate-fusion. I think it's part of why I love it so much.

Oh and I am giving all of these some votes. I also added quite a few names to my buy-list. Thanks man much appreciated.

Btw Simon: you and Greg have so much in common regarding musical tastes it's uncanny. Just an fyi, but if you look up Greg's ratings here on PA I'm sure you'll find some gems and a bunch of stuff you already own and love

Edited by Guldbamsen - July 23 2017 at 06:52
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 08:07
I could only enjoy the Nilovic track, hence my vote  - the others left me longing for a B,S&T or Chicago Cry

Thanks for that one, a really good piece!
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 13:11
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Btw Simon: you and Greg have so much in common regarding musical tastes it's uncanny. Just an fyi, but if you look up Greg's ratings here on PA I'm sure you'll find some gems and a bunch of stuff you already own and love

I had noticed a certain commonality of interests!  Always great to find a kindred musical spirit, though it usually seems to work out expensive LOL

EDIT: Indeed, I just had a look at Greg's reviewer page and in particular the five star ratings. It's possible we may have been cloned.

Edited by Mascodagama - July 23 2017 at 13:16
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 14:37
Hah must admit I've been thinking along the same lines myself.

- Douglas Adams
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 04:31
Impossible choice to make really... Confused (I went for Nilovic on the tracks you chose)

Busy discovering Nilo Nilovic (Mad Unity's Funky Tramways should be here in JR/F, BTWWink) and Umiliani (not that I knew of the others except for Morricone)

Love this 70's jazzy cinematic music, BTW!! Great topic Clap

BTW, shouldn't Mandingo also be here in JR/F, as well??

Funky Tramways by Mad Unity (this is Nilovic's Belgian band in the mid-70's)

BTW,Triumphal March is definitely not the best track on Mandingo III

Edited by Sean Trane - July 24 2017 at 04:34
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 12:44
This topic generated more response than I had expected. Incidentally, most of my ratings were done when spur of the moment hen the quick rating feature was implemented (barely rated anything in years). Great to have other people here with similar tastes. By the way, Jose, I ahad wondered if I should include that Nilovic track as other tracks off that album would fit with the other choices in the poll more (but I do love that track).

Thanks, Hugues, for the Funky Tramway, I didn't know it, but I love it. As for Mandingo, I've often wanted to suggest it to JRF. By the way, I love all of Mandingo III, but whether or not Triumphal March is the best track, it happens to be a favourite of mine. I have a thing for such choral type vocals. I don't care if my favourites are the best, or even good, and in fact I really don't believe in this "best" model as is often used here. I don't see how one could objectively make the case for best tracks off the album in this case.

Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 14:21
^ Thanks for the clue, Greg, you've enticed my curiosity and I'll listen to the whole album soon.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 14:17
I hope you enjoy it. Jose.   I have someone to thank for various recommendations in this poll, and many other great ones.

Kind of bumping, cause this music is me on a plate, or more correctly one side of me.

Edited by Logan - September 02 2017 at 14:25
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 05:46
Well, it took me longer than anticipated to get round to this - but well worth it. I voted for everything, but twice for the Umiliani and three times for Nillovic!  "Underground Scene" is just epic - a shame the Rythmes Contemparains album seems to be scarce. And the drummer on the Umiliani track is off the hook.

Greg, out of interest, what would your preferred pick from Umiliani have been?

Marius Popp was another new name to me. I bet I can pick up some cheap albums next time I'm in Bucharest Cool

Edited by Mascodagama - September 04 2017 at 05:49
Bandcamp Profile
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 06:21
I voted for the one I wasn't previously familiar with Marius Popp Inscriptie. Wonderful track! Panoramic Jazz Rock haha, love those library album titles. 

Wanted to post a Ruud Bos-track that wasn't on youtube (Dat Verhaal Van Jou) but here's a monster jazzrockfusion epic hidden away on an impossible to find library record. 

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2017 at 15:45
^^ I would have chosen a lovely jazzy version of "Nostalgia" with strings, which is track five on my version of Umiliani's La Raggaza Fuori Strada. Could have happily gone with "Volto di Donna" too. Love the whole album, and I love these soundtrack albums with variations on the same themes, and its eclecticism.

^ The Marius Popp is great. That's the only track on it which I think of as Prog, and is my favourite off the album, but I like the rest of the album too.
Love that Guy Pedersen; it's new to me.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2017 at 11:20
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^ I would have chosen a lovely jazzy version of "Nostalgia" with strings, which is track five on my version of Umiliani's La Raggaza Fuori Strada. Could have happily gone with "Volto di Donna" too. Love the whole album, and I love these soundtrack albums with variations on the same themes, and its eclecticism.

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my copy.

Also been looking into Vladimir Cosma. The man is insanely prolific! As I'm sure you know there are two box sets of his movie work which include the soundtracks to 40 and 51 films respectively - and I gather there were many more. I also had not been aware that he did the soundtrack for Diva, one of my favourite movies of the eighties

Edited by Mascodagama - September 05 2017 at 11:26
Bandcamp Profile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2017 at 11:42
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my copy.

Also been looking into Vladimir Cosma. The man is insanely prolific! As I'm sure you know there are two box sets of his movie work which include the soundtracks to 40 and 51 films respectively - and I gather there were many more. I also had not been aware that he did the soundtrack for Diva, one of my favourite movies of the eighties

Actually, I didn't know about the box-sets, and would think I should have known at some time that he did the soundtrack for Diva, as it is also one of my favourite 80s films and I borrowed the Diva OST from my local library at the time considerable years ago. Thanks for the info.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2017 at 17:35
I finally got hold of a copy of Rythmes Contemporains. What a killer album it is, sheer brilliance from start to finish. A shame there isn't more information about the musicians involved, at least on the reissue I got.

Picked up Funky Tramway, too. Much as I love the Belgian music scene, I never heard anything else from Brussels that came with this kind of groove (though I dare say there is more out there...hints gratefully received).
Bandcamp Profile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>