Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Any else listen to Sam Harris' Waking Up podcasts?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any else listen to Sam Harris' Waking Up podcasts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any else listen to Sam Harris' Waking Up podcasts?
    Posted: July 21 2017 at 16:29
I'm just wondering if anyone else here listens to the Sam Harris' Waking Up podcast?

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/full_archive

Whatever one think of Sam Harris, and thinks of his political and religious views, he has discussions with many very interesting and intelligent guests on a diverse range of subjects.

Edited by Logan - July 21 2017 at 16:42
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit the views" (Doctor Who - The Face of Evil, Jan 22, 1977).
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote condor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 18:14
Thanks for the suggestion
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2017 at 13:00
Thanks for responding, Condor.

His podcasts have been useful to me, especially since I've been trying to get the old noodle to work better after damaging it a while back (mostly my memory was affected -- I used to have a very good memory-- and I still get headaches). I tend to agree with Harris and his guests views, and share similar interests, so it's going to be entertaining to me than most.

I had thought there might be some people here who do listen to his podcasts because I did a topic over a year ago on Hitchens and Dawkins and Sam Harris, as well as Lawrence Krauss, Neil deGrasse Tyson, Danniel Dennet and others were mentioned in it. It was at that point that I decided to explore those people more (well, I already loved Tyson for Cosmos). I have since seen Krauss live and, for Vancouverites, Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, and Matt Dillahunty will be having an event in November. I planned to buy tickets but I know no one that would be interested and going to these kinds of things alone is kind of sad (probably sold out by now).

Anyway, I did another topic on Sam Harris before, and I probably shouldn't have done this one. http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109468

I can't recommend any particular podcast to you as I don't know your interests well-enough, but my favourite was Abusing Delores with Paul Bloom where he discusses the case for rational compassion instead of empathy.

I also enjoyed his latest a great deal. I listen to the through his site, but they are also available on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNLOJ-3rL60

I'm a bit nervous about even mentioning Harris name here as I fear that I may get labeled an Islamophobe (someone with an irrational fear and hatred of Islam) -- I do have a fear of religion -- as he has been very critical of religion generally, but particularly of Islam in recent years. I got interested in these people after the Charlie Hebdo attacks, but I enjoy Harris' discussion more not on the subject of Islam or religion, generally, these days.

Edited by Logan - August 14 2017 at 13:02
"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit the views" (Doctor Who - The Face of Evil, Jan 22, 1977).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic