Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKaipa (1975)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kaipa (1975)
    Posted: August 27 2017 at 15:22
The 70s Kaipa is so good, way better than the overblown bombastic Karmaflowertlantic reincarnation from the 00s. This debut record is especially great, may be described as "what if CAMEL were from Sweden"!

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 12:23
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Among the recent versions of Kaipa, do you consider that Kaipa da Kapo album I mentioned earlier, or have you only checked out the official Kaipa albums? Because... well, I have not heard the newer official Kaipa albums, but I have heard a bit of Flower Kings and it has been... well, OK, but it just seems to lack something. I also have the Transatlantic albums, and even though I liked them better than Flower Kings, only The Whirlwind really blew me away, the other ones seem to be a bit overlong on their songs. However, the Kaipa da Kapo album was really enjoyable for me... I guess sort of similar to Solo in a way. Perhaps that one would be good to check out if you haven't done so yet.

Thanks, no I meant to mention that I hadn't heard it (though I was aware of it) and will check it out! :)

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2017 at 21:25
I have the first 2 and last 2 in my vinyl collection. Nothing measures up to the beauty offered on their debut. Much of it is just beautiful. It acheives what it's going for.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2017 at 19:46
Among the recent versions of Kaipa, do you consider that Kaipa da Kapo album I mentioned earlier, or have you only checked out the official Kaipa albums? Because... well, I have not heard the newer official Kaipa albums, but I have heard a bit of Flower Kings and it has been... well, OK, but it just seems to lack something. I also have the Transatlantic albums, and even though I liked them better than Flower Kings, only The Whirlwind really blew me away, the other ones seem to be a bit overlong on their songs. However, the Kaipa da Kapo album was really enjoyable for me... I guess sort of similar to Solo in a way. Perhaps that one would be good to check out if you haven't done so yet.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2017 at 14:30
I really enjoy the first lp, it has hints of (for want of a better phrase) of jazziness/Canterbury on it (yes, yes I know but I also include bands like Supersister, moving gelatine plates and samla mammas manna in using this ham-fisted term) and the second lp 'Inget nytt under solen was good but just didn't seem to have the same vibe as the first lp. I also bought the 'Solo' lp this year (nice re-issue in green vinyl!) and expected it to be a lesser lp to the first two but was also pleasantly surprised to find it a more mature and wider focused lp than i'd expected. The recent versions of Kaipa and the various lps are ok but don't really do it for me, neither do the Flower Kings or any of their offshoots  

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2017 at 20:43
I found the Kaipa albums good, but there's something missing on them. I first got the first two ones... after a while I finally got SOLO this year, along with Stolt's new Kaipa da Kapo album. Actually, even though I thought SOLO would be the lesser of the first 3 albums, it is the one I enjoyed the most... it sort of sounded more mature or something. Also the Kaipa da Kapo album was very good... the first one since SOLO sung in swedish and to feature Stolt (though it's not really a Kaipa album, but given personell and all I can just as well consider it so).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2017 at 13:02
Oceaner Foder Liv
Magical album all the way.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2017 at 11:30
This 1975 self-titled release by Kaipa deserves way more "limelight" than it actually gets. IMO it's really really good, like top 10 prog albums of the 70s level of good. Se Var Morgon Gry (actually like all the vocal tracks on the album) is just unbelievable. That unexplainable fluidity, those clever as heck chord changes. Delicious. And the icing on this musical cake is Lundin's vocals. Too bad he degraded himself to a backing vocalist (maye due to the aging of the voice i dunno) now. I know some people might have a slight problem with the Swedish lyrics, like, not liking the sound of the language or not being able to understand the meaning. Personally... even though my Swedish is kinda basic and I don't quite get everything here, I don't mind that it's not anglophonic. The music compensates for it anyway.

Post Reply Post Reply