Topic ClosedKing Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard
    Posted: July 29 2017 at 17:27

A wildly eclectic, unique sound: CHECK
A genre impossible to define, utilizing influences from math-rock, psychedelia and even surf-rock (!): CHECK
A string of different yet almost-all-concept albums: CHECK
Irregular time signatures: literally almost no songs in 4/4
A ProgArchives page: NON-EXIST-ENT???

Their most recent album is as PROG as it can be, a three-part sci-fi story in 20 chapters with loads of mellotron thrown in. Give these Aussies some love! <333

Edited by Prog-jester - July 30 2017 at 07:47
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 19:07
Local aussie band. Not that good though :D
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2017 at 20:53
Never heard of them until now.  Thanks for posting, Prog-Jester.  I totally enjoyed both of those clips.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2017 at 05:43
Come on Igor. You've been here long enough to know how things work and perhaps more importantly how they most definitely do not. Calling out a fellow collab because you hear something he doesn't does not strike me as a sympathetic and reasonable way to go about things. Perhaps you could've posted in the already existing thread and asked the PSIKE team to take another look at the more recent album on which they do seem more experimental, I'll grant you that. Still, to these ears they're still heavily rooted in the bluesy garagey kind of rock....and when has prog ever been a badge of honour? I mean it is perfectly possible to show these cats some love even if we refrain from calling them prog. I own their three most recent albums and I certainly wouldn't call them a prog band. Does that take anything away from my enjoyment of the music? Not in the least. Just like I adore honey even if it's not a form of meat.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2017 at 07:52
Just edited my previous post to avoid any sort of conflict (I certainly wasn't looking for one).

I don't really think any other bluesy-garage band got such a distinct recognizable sound or plays in 7/8 and 5/4 all the time or releases sci-fi-concept albums, but what do I know. Not trying to dive into this old "I love them hence they're prog" routine, just really shocked PA users ignore them (judging from this topic).

Edited by Prog-jester - July 31 2017 at 17:35
DreamsReign View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2017 at 19:32
Totally Agree. Their latest album, Murder of the Universe is very similar thematically to Karn Evil 9. AND the album follows the classic prog blueprint set down by albums like Close to the Edge and Relayer: It was a 20 minute opening cycle and then two 10 minute cycles - add up the track lengths from each of the 3 movements if you don't believe me! If this album isn't prog, then nothing is, honestly.

And I don't say this as a crazy fan, honest. I really did not like Flying Mocrotonal Banana, and even Murder of the Universe is not a patch on Nonagon Infinity. But these guys are as prog as it gets.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 10:08
Damn...just listened to Murder Of The Universe and it blew me right through the livingroom. Such a great album and perhaps even more so when you count in the fact that the banana album got released earlier in the year. Not quite Buckethead territory, thank ford, but with much better results.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 11:24
A band I LOVE!!!!

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 17:37
yes, finally!

Personal Top-3:
1. Nonagon
2. Banana
3. MoU

Needa re-listen all the previous ones, can't remember being too keen on them, hearing the band at first back in 2014
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 13:14
Never heard of them...thanks for posting the videos. I always enjoy hearing new bands.
Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2017 at 09:50
Just got into these guys a few months back (after hearing about them for the last two years) and picked up their last four albums. Really good stuff. And they love playing in 7/8.
Rayner View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2017 at 14:14
They are a great band and they have an awesome sound.
PS

Nonagon Infinity Kicks Ass
Rayner
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2017 at 08:00
Ey oop. I'm dusting off my account briefly to publicly declare my love of this band and my utter bafflement that they've yet to make it past the PA gatekeepers. Has anyone here heard their latest album Sketches of Brunswick East yet? Owes more than a little debt to early Soft Machine, IMO.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2017 at 08:05
^ In which sub-genre would you put them? I heard their latest the other day and it just confused me even more (and who knows where they'll go next?).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2017 at 08:32
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ In which sub-genre would you put them? I heard their latest the other day and it just confused me even more (and who knows where they'll go next?).

I'll be honest, this is more or less why I gave up on PA. The idea of categorising an artist (whose career may span decades and dozens of albums) into a single sub-category is needlessly restrictive. The end result is often stifled discussion and, occasionally, downright misinformation.

King Gizz are a classic case in point. There is no doubt to my mind that they are a progressive rock band. They are doing inventive, eclectic, complex things with rock music. That's prog.

When you get into the nitty gritty you can find touches of inspiration from all over the prog/psych landscape of the last fifty years. Everything from early psych-pop to krautrock, heavy metal to Canterbury. There is no one PA pigeonhole that feels like a good fit for them, so the chances are they will end up being batted about between genre teams for months, maybe years to come, by which point they will have probably released another 10 albums, given the rate they work at!

So yeah, within the way PA operates I don't have a good answer I'm afraid. I just feel it's a great shame that users of this site may be missing out on one of the most exciting and prolific progressive bands of recent years because no one can agree on which arbitrary sub-category they ought to be filed under.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2017 at 14:26
^ Eclectic then, sorted
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 13:23
Something new for the evidence locker:

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 15:29
^Instant classic! Been sporadically checking them out in the last couple of months. They made prog fun again! 
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 16:06
Maaaaaaaaaaaaadly exciting, thx guys  Thumbs Up

(a daughter had already given me a hint about them - she saw them live last summer and was blown away)
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2017 at 04:32
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

^ Eclectic then, sorted 
Although eclectic (seriously, what quality progressive rock act isn't eclectic?) all in all - based on four of their albums I'd say Psychedelic/Space Rock is the obvious place for them. So obvious that I'd say this is one of the times placing a band into one sub category doesn't feel too problematic. But admittedly I haven't heard Sketches of Brunswick East yet.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>