Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - S.Wilson: "Rap now is more innovative than Rock"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedS.Wilson: "Rap now is more innovative than Rock"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: S.Wilson: "Rap now is more innovative than Rock"
    Posted: October 06 2017 at 22:47
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Brooklyn Funk Essentials are world famous for mixing rap, soul, funk, dancehall and jazz.
If this isn't innovative, I don't what is.
I love the energie of Swedish raggamuffin star Papa Dee.

Good stuff Innovative Jazz incorporating occasional Hip Hop elements, not the other way around. I'll have to listen to the others.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 22:30
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Why should I accept the premise that innovation is not musical complexity? Why is your claim that sampling is a better indicator of innovation philosophically superior? ... Nevertheless, I would like to point out that you are factually incorrect. Sampling has been used for a long time ... I'm quite pro sampling, but it's not remotely new, certainly older than the 2010 marker that the OP laid down, so I don't understand what actual innovation is being referred to in the vid posted by the OP ... As for the shift to the importance of producers, the visionary there would be Brian Eno. 

<span style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">Innovation is related to invention; to technological developments, to change.</span><div style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">
<div style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">In the 1950s in France, newer, cheaper, smaller cameras entered the market that became accessible to many people who otherwise wouldn't have been able to make films. Young people started to make their own movies, going out in the streets with their small cameras, bypassing the stranglehold the studio system had over film production. France only used to make a few dozen movies a year; suddenly in 1960, hundreds were being made, outside of the studio system, launching the French New Wave. The new technology, in other words, changed the production of films, and brought in new ways of doing things (including new film techniques).<div style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">
<div style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">You said sampling's not new. (I said the same thing; re-read my post.) However, what's changed is the same thing that changed in the example of French filmmaking that I gave above: New, cheaper, smaller computers entered the market, with more capabilities. Young people started to make their own music, from their bedrooms, using new technologies heretofore nonexistent or unavailable to them. These technological changes resulted in paradigm shifts in how music can be made, and who can make it. Sampling is not new; but *how* you sample, and *who* can sample, is new. Now, anyone can sample, from their bedroom, or office, or anywhere; in fact, one producer (Floating Points) recently made an album during a flight.<div style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">
<div style="color: rgb34, 34, 34; font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: small;">What does this mean? It means anyone can be a producer. *Anyone*. From your bedroom. That's the shift I was talking bout. You don't have to be born with a name like Brian Peter George St John le Baptiste de la Salle Eno (aka "Brian Eno") to become one. LOL
First of all, what is the sample or samples that were innovative? Using new equipment CAN lead to innovation. The question I'm asking here is what is it? What exactly was sampled and why could it have not been done before on a Fairlight CMI that Peter Gabriel used? If I hear an actual explicit description of what I don't perceive on my own or don't know about technologically (I'm a guitarist, not a keyboardist), then I'm happy to agree. You seem to be assuming that I know the answer, and am being stubborn.

All the rest of the sociological stuff and price of equipment is irrelevant (for the question we're examining here). That's sociology and history, not music. Who can make music (answer: me) or where music is made is irrelevant. Nothing in any recording reveals its recording location. By irrelevant, I don't mean historically insignificant, because technological/sociological changes may as you say result in (without being a part of) paradigm shifts in how music can be made. So, fine. What was the paradigm shift? If sampling existed before, justifying a paradigm shift is kind of hard, though I would allow that there might be something revolutionary that I'm unaware of. A paradigm is a whole theoretical approach normally contrasted with another whole theoretical approach that differs from top to bottom. How do we have that here? This may be a higher standard than I think you need to make. I think small low level innovations are highly admirable.

However, as to the question of whether Hip Hop is more innovative than Prog, let me point out that much of what you say about technology and sociology of *how* and *who* can do whatever applies equally to Prog. The advances in guitar-related technology are staggering. I myself am a modest contributor to a Kickstarter campaign for Paul Vo, who is developing an energy bow-like device that can impart a vibration to a string in synthesized wave form that is digitally defined by whatever software is downloaded to it. It works on acoustic guitars too. It is Acoustic Synthesis, and that is indeed a technological paradigm shift.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 20:32
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

I read page 1 and page 5 of this thread. Is it spelled out on pages 2, 3 or 4 what the innovations are?, because I must have missed something. Was it innovative sound? That's the only thing I can think of, but it wasn't that innovative. Impactful, yes. As for the challenge of modern innovative Prog since 2010, I'd say anything recently put out by Henry Kaiser would qualify.

Innovative doesn't mean 'musical complexity'. Kraftwerk were very innovative, yet Genesis played circles around them. I think most critics today would say that Kraftwerk was the more innovative band. (And I think Peter Gabriel himself believed he was moving in a more innovative direction when he left the band.)

Sampling as an art form was a technological innovation that wasn't possible (or easy to pull off) until relatively recently (in terms of decades). Anyone may be able to do it - just like anyone can play guitar or keyboards - but to do it in a way that resonates with people requires skill and creativity.

At one time, the composer was all. But then with jazz & rock, it was less about the composers then the musicians who were interpreting the compositions ("It's the singer not the song"). With the advent of the studio and the increasing complexity and technical skills required to master this technology, producers were increasingly important to the artistic process. There has now been a shift, and the producer has replaced the musicians as the forefront and author, and uses samples and instruments to create her/his vision. There's been some truly innovative and visionary stuff made with this shift:)

Kids used to want to play an instrument. Now they want to rap, DJ, or produce:)

Why should I accept the premise that innovation is not musical complexity? Why is your claim that sampling is a better indicator of innovation philosophically superior? This relates strongly to the thread I opened up 'How do you measure innovation?' Nevertheless, I would like to point out that you are factually incorrect. Sampling has been used for a long time. It was used extensively by Peter Gabriel on Security (sorry, I forget the name of the device he used). It also actually began with the mellotron I might add. Genesis used samples. Sampling has been used extensively in movies too. I'm quite pro sampling, but it's not remotely new, certainly older than the 2010 marker that the OP laid down, so I don't understand what actual innovation is being referred to in the vid posted by the OP. Is there something more specific about the sound, sampling or otherwise, that has seldom been done before. I honestly don't know what it is. As for the shift to the importance of producers, the visionary there would be Brian Eno. Actually, in quite the opposite direction from what you've described are musicians who are now empowered as one man bands. Although he also works with other musicians, Henry Kaiser, who I mentioned often plays by himself using a long digital delay with one or two shorter delays in a fashion somewhat like a looper to create complex layered sound that feels like more than one guitar. Less innovative?b Doubtful. Listen and compare.

About the one-man bands, I understand even in the 70's that already existed. At least I know of Mike Oldfield doing mostly such a thing... even with Tubular Bells being when he was 19 years old (he did have a few extra musicians for some drums and choirs and flutes).
I think, with Mike Oldfield, you're referring to a situation that employs overdubs with a lot cycling parts all synchronized. Not the same thing. I'm talking about one man one guitar employing free improvisation in and among three unsynchronized delays, some recordings performed live, no overdubbing.
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 14:49
Ulking is better than Steven Wilson these days!!!!AngryDead
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 09:26
As much as I love his music, his mouth sure says a lot of dumb things.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 12:13

Why should I accept the premise that innovation is not musical complexity? Why is your claim that sampling is a better indicator of innovation philosophically superior? ... Nevertheless, I would like to point out that you are factually incorrect. Sampling has been used for a long time ... I'm quite pro sampling, but it's not remotely new, certainly older than the 2010 marker that the OP laid down, so I don't understand what actual innovation is being referred to in the vid posted by the OP ... As for the shift to the importance of producers, the visionary there would be Brian Eno. 

Innovation is related to invention; to technological developments, to change.

In the 1950s in France, newer, cheaper, smaller cameras entered the market that became accessible to many people who otherwise wouldn't have been able to make films. Young people started to make their own movies, going out in the streets with their small cameras, bypassing the stranglehold the studio system had over film production. France only used to make a few dozen movies a year; suddenly in 1960, hundreds were being made, outside of the studio system, launching the French New Wave. The new technology, in other words, changed the production of films, and brought in new ways of doing things (including new film techniques).

You said sampling's not new. (I said the same thing; re-read my post.) However, what's changed is the same thing that changed in the example of French filmmaking that I gave above: New, cheaper, smaller computers entered the market, with more capabilities. Young people started to make their own music, from their bedrooms, using new technologies heretofore nonexistent or unavailable to them. These technological changes resulted in paradigm shifts in how music can be made, and who can make it. Sampling is not new; but *how* you sample, and *who* can sample, is new. Now, anyone can sample, from their bedroom, or office, or anywhere; in fact, one producer (Floating Points) recently made an album during a flight.

What does this mean? It means anyone can be a producer. *Anyone*. From your bedroom. That's the shift I was talking bout. You don't have to be born with a name like Brian Peter George St John le Baptiste de la Salle Eno (aka "Brian Eno") to become one. LOL

Edited by jude111 - October 02 2017 at 12:17
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 11:37

Yeah I know. I actually thought about mentioning the whole graffiti and breakdance environment but decided not to...this is after all a pork forum and we like our chops.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 11:31
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I think you're using a very very narrow frame to describe rap and/or hip hop. Rap is rap regardless of what kind of music playing in the background. Rap is and has always been a vocal delivery rather than a genre like hip hop. Rap is still rap when the music is jazz funk or polka. Rage Against The Machine is rap fx.

Just like hip hop is hip hop when it is spliced together with rock/metal/jazz or is free from samples or uses acapella style vocals.

But you're using a very narrow frame to describe hip-hop too Big smile - music is only a part of it; it also includes graffiti and art, dancing, fashion, and other things.

From Wikipedia: `Hip hop or hip-hop is a subculture and art movement developed in South Bronx in New York City during the late 1970s.[1][2][3][4][5] While people unfamiliar with hip hop culture often use the expression "hip hop" to refer exclusively to hip hop music (also called "rap"),[6] Hip hop is characterized by nine distinct elements or expressive realms, of which hip hop music is only four elements (rapping, djaying, beatboxing and breaking). Afrika Bambaataa of the hip hop collective Zulu Nation outlined the pillars of hip hop culture, coining the terms: "rapping" (also called MCing or emceeing), a rhythmic vocal rhyming style (orality); DJing (and turntablism), which is making music with record players and DJ mixers (aural/sound and music creation); b-boying/b-girling/breakdancing (movement/dance); and graffiti art, which he called "aerosol writin'", although many say that the graffiti that hip hop adopted had been around years earlier, and had nothing to do with hip hop culture. (visual art).[7][8][9][10][11] Other elements of hip hop subculture and arts movements beyond the main four are: hip hop culture and historical knowledge of the movement (intellectual/philosophical); beatboxing, a percussive vocal style; street entrepreneurship; hip hop language; and hip hop fashion and style, among others.'
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 08:58
Just thought of another one fit for this thread - one that is included in our archives no less: Elephant Tok's debut from last year. Again not a RAP album but rather an avant rock album with rap vocals at the helm.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 08:46
And here's some cross-pollination between rap and the genuine jazz avant-garde:

Edited by Mascodagama - October 02 2017 at 08:47
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 08:25
Far from being hip-hop, but here's a magnificently creative (and progressive...) piece of music that includes rapping:

Edited by Mascodagama - October 02 2017 at 08:26
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 08:10
I think you're using a very very narrow frame to describe rap and/or hip hop. Rap is rap regardless of what kind of music playing in the background. Rap is and has always been a vocal delivery rather than a genre like hip hop. Rap is still rap when the music is jazz funk or polka. Rage Against The Machine is rap fx.

Just like hip hop is hip hop when it is spliced together with rock/metal/jazz or is free from samples or uses acapella style vocals.

- Douglas Adams
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 08:02

Brooklyn Funk Essentials are world famous for mixing rap, soul, funk, dancehall and jazz.

again, jazz-funk

I do listen to some rap style vocals but it's usually with combined with rock, metal, djent, to name a few, all interesting if you ask me. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 07:59

Here's some more RH Factor (wich is lead by the great trumpeteer Roy Hargrove). Note that they have two drummers, some stellar slap-bass. This is a jam, most rockbands don't do anymore. And that's what Steven Wilson meant, I guess.

this is not rap it's funk, maybe even jazz-funk, which I do listen to. 

Edited by Cristi - October 02 2017 at 07:59
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 05:00
Here some Brooklyn Funk Essentials, mixing Kurdish folk music, rap, funk, fusion, dancehall and having a lot of fun.

Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 04:57

Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 04:51
Here's some more RH Factor (wich is lead by the great trumpeteer Roy Hargrove). Note that they have two drummers, some stellar slap-bass. This is a jam, most rockbands don't do anymore. And that's what Steven Wilson meant, I guess.

Edited by Kingsnake - October 02 2017 at 04:53
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 04:34
Not so much rap, but one of the big moments in electrofunk and turntablism (another musical innovation):

Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 04:33
The great and talented Guru with the great and talented Donald Byrd on the horn.

Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2017 at 04:31
Erik Truffaz, world famous trumpet player, mixes jazzfusion, drum&bass and rap:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>