Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat two prog tracks changed your life?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2017 at 16:26
Originally posted by maryes maryes wrote:

YES - "Yours is no Disgrace"

The first song I played on my old cassette player after my parents left me in my student flat on my first day at University. Every time I hear it I'm transported back to that rites of passage moment!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Ulver48 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2017 at 01:15
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 
The greatest song I have ever heard. 

King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King 
The song that made me fall in love with prog rock when I was a teenager. 
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2017 at 14:24
Yes - Yours Is No Disgrace (got me into prog)

Transatlantic - All Of The Above (got me back into prog after lapsing and also introduced me to The Flower Kings and all things connected with Neal Morse)
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2017 at 23:38
So many mentions of Yours Is No Disgrace put me in mind of the distant past. Hearing this song, Yessongs version and studio, along with Starship Trooper, not being even aware if they were not only the same songs but the same band and yet certainly knowing that I asked myself, "Who ARE these guys?!"

I may be in this thread already and I stick by whatever I may already have said, yet I also recant!

These were the songs, man. These were the songs.

Eventually buying The Yes Album, then not too much later Yessongs made all things clear to me.

"Ohhhhh! These are those guys!"

And a lifelong love affair had been firmly established.

Edited by Frankh - October 25 2017 at 00:31
Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 15:37
Various lps and tracks have had a particular impact, effect or importance in my life but yesterday I remembered an event in which two lps played a very important role. In the early 1990's I had sold / given away most of my record collection, had a divorce, been made redundant and moved house and had been suffering a major depressive episode; whilst visiting a small second hand store, I was suddenly inspired to buy a batch of cheap lps one being 'Voyage of the Acolyte' by Steve Hackett and 'Once Again' by Barclay James Harvest. I pulled out my hardly used record deck and amp and put them on.. it was as if someone had turned a light on in my head and the upward, outward journey began.. it could probably have been any of my favourite classic lps, on vinyl, but the effect at the time was profound.

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 16:04
Probably

King Crimson - Larks Tongues In Aspic Part 1
Discovered that there was prog radically different from Yes, Genesis & Jethro Tull

Univers Zero - Dense
Opened up a whole world of Avant / RIO / Zeuhl and then an exploration of all things odd and edgy.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2017 at 20:37
Nine Feet Underground (Caravan) - all my friends were into punk and new wave - but when i managed to get them in the right mood ... i certainly converted a few miscreants

Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd  First song i just had to learn to play on guitar (sorry Led Zep)
jeromach View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2017 at 12:15
Kandy Korn - Captain Beefheart

Cardiacs - Dirty boy

Kandy Korn taught me odd sounding music could both be very structured AND beautiful, it opened my ears to so much other non mainstream music; listening music phase II.

Dirty boy as high point of the album Sing to God, which at first I could not place correctly until it hit. And hard.
I don't have a signature
QuantumMusic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2017 at 15:37
The Lamb lies down on Broadway - Genesis
Got me into prog and the distorded bass riff really turned me on to play more bass

Blackest Eyes - Porcupine Tree
Is what got me into Porvupine tree, modern prog and prog metal
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2017 at 20:10
Yes- Starship Trooper. Rarely a day where I dont think of it at least once.

Tarkus. ELP. That's too awesome not to mention.
donmikey View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2017 at 15:26
Yes - It can happen (the 1st Yes song I've ever heard)
Pink Floyd - Money (the 1st floyd song I've ever heard)
ClaudeV View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2017 at 22:51
Surprised to see so many stuff hard to get into being named as life changers. Prog changed my life a lot, allowing me to understand how much efforts and learning you sometime need to do to really be able to get into some pieces of art. For me getting into prog was a gradual thing. The two songs that helped me when I was 14 to become a prog lover were:

ELO: Roll over Beethoven
Styx: Suite Madame Blue

Both songs still had this basic rock element, but Roll over Beethoven showed that two different styles could coexist in a single song to good effect, and it was the same with Suite Madame Blue with a clear change of mood and style within a same song, but both song had this catchy pop rock element to it.

So it would have been impossible for me to get into prog directly with a song like Childlike Faith by VDGG or Supper's Ready by Genesis or any other complex and challenging piece.
bender99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2017 at 04:46
I'm going to cheat a little bit here because I really have 4 songs which were influential in shaping what I listen to, oddly always separated by 10 years give or take.

1987 - Learning To Fly, Pink Floyd.  Hardly the best introduction to Floyd, but still a huge step-up from the crap I was listening to at the time. Of course I had no idea who they were, and some older co-workers soon lent me all of their classic albums. Besides Floyd, this lead me to discover groups like Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Beatles, Who etc

1997 - Roundabout, Yes.  Never heard of the group, took a chance and bought Fragile based on the album cover. Never looked back at that point. Yes became my favorite band, and in turn I discovered Genesis, ELP, Jethro Tull etc.

2009 - Bless the Child, Nightwish.  Struggling to find any music outside the 70's that I really liked, I heard this song in a video game of all places. Liked it enough to explore the symphonic-metal genre, and soon had Epica, Opeth, and Therion added to my collection, and more importantly, Dream Theater, which would become my favorite modern-ish group, and eventually lead to my last discovery.

2017 - The Whirlwind, Transatlantic.  Looking for Dream Theater related stuff on you-tube, came upon this... and bore done day, decided to play it. One minute in and I was hooked, I needed to know who this group where these guys had come from. Unsurprisingly, from that I branched out.. Neal Morse, Spock's Beard, Flower Kings.... then somehow ended up on this website, and now have added IQ, Eloy to the list. 

I've bought more cd's this year alone than in the previous 10 I reckon Thumbs Up
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 09:26
Originally posted by bender99 bender99 wrote:

I'm going to cheat a little bit here because I really have 4 songs which were influential in shaping what I listen to, oddly always separated by 10 years give or take.

1987 - Learning To Fly, Pink Floyd.  Hardly the best introduction to Floyd, but still a huge step-up from the crap I was listening to at the time. Of course I had no idea who they were, and some older co-workers soon lent me all of their classic albums. Besides Floyd, this lead me to discover groups like Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Beatles, Who etc

1997 - Roundabout, Yes.  Never heard of the group, took a chance and bought Fragile based on the album cover. Never looked back at that point. Yes became my favorite band, and in turn I discovered Genesis, ELP, Jethro Tull etc.

2009 - Bless the Child, Nightwish.  Struggling to find any music outside the 70's that I really liked, I heard this song in a video game of all places. Liked it enough to explore the symphonic-metal genre, and soon had Epica, Opeth, and Therion added to my collection, and more importantly, Dream Theater, which would become my favorite modern-ish group, and eventually lead to my last discovery.

2017 - The Whirlwind, Transatlantic.  Looking for Dream Theater related stuff on you-tube, came upon this... and bore done day, decided to play it. One minute in and I was hooked, I needed to know who this group where these guys had come from. Unsurprisingly, from that I branched out.. Neal Morse, Spock's Beard, Flower Kings.... then somehow ended up on this website, and now have added IQ, Eloy to the list. 

I've bought more cd's this year alone than in the previous 10 I reckon Thumbs Up

From Transatlantic, you really should also have branched into Marillion...and you still shouldSmile
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 23:25
The Court of the Crimson King made me revisit progressive rock after years of not listening, at least more than any other song. There is no runner-up really.

Braka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2017 at 04:01
I was going to say that I didn't think any prog tracks particularly changed my life, but thinking back, perhaps that's wrong. Back in 1975 I'd just started really paying attention to the top 40, but I was precocious at twelve, and in my first year of what we call High School the music teacher had a library of albums which he'd encourage students just to listen to in class time (easy to see why music was a favourite subject), which is where i discovered Floyd. They turned out to be my 'gateway' band. The first music I started listening to which never heard on the radio (at this stage where i lived FM radio was still a couple of years away, and we just had two AM stations playing top 40, and two ABC stations (equivalent to BBC) but neither of them were much into music).

So, 'Wish You Were Here' was their latest album, but it was really 'Dark Side' which blew my mind and turned me forever away from the commercial pop garbage everybody else in my school was apparently listening to.

If I had to pick a track it may as well be 'Brain Damage', though it was really the whole album. God I wish I could get that astonished and exhilarated by new music now.

And then, shortly afterwards in 1976 I discovered the hard stuff. Hawkwind. 'Astounding Sounds' was their current album, but I think the first two I bought were 'Warrior' and 'Doremi', so it was probably 'Assault and Battery/The Golden Void' that officially catapulted me off into underground, prog and general crazy-arsedness.

It compounded things that independently of this I was already a Michael Moorcock fanatic, so when I discovered he was associated with the most amazing band I'd ever heard, that really sealed it (though in hindsight I don't think Moorcock's contributions to Hawkwind were among their most auspicious moments).  Hawkwind were just channelling whatever the hell it was i needed at 12-13, and I stayed a fanatic til at least the early 80's. After Calvert left, Brock seemed not to have rediscovered his cosmic savante mojo. But by this time I'd discovered a gazillion other bands, prog and not. If I can chuck in a third one, I think it was around 1981 that 'Refugees' by VDGG became my favourite song, and stayed there for a very long time. End of that can still give me goosebumps.

Wish I'd been a few years older and living in Europe in 77 to see 'Quark' era Hawkwind and Van Der Graaf touring together. Ah, well.
maurov93 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 16:02
Atom Heart Mother
Tarkus
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 07:04
Supper's Ready changed my life, then Close to the Edge changed it back again.

Stasis restored.
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 08:14
Epitath by KC and Autumn Suite (the Strawbs)
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 08:59
Yes - South Side of the Sky - this was my favorite track off Fragile and the one that ultimately lead to me obsessing with the album (then Yes in general, then prog in general)

Simon Steensland - The Queen of Sweeden - My first RIO/Avant track (as can be guessed by its esoteric nature, happened upon it by chance), opened up the idea of music that didn't sound conventional which greatly expanded my palate.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>