Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEmerson, Lake & Palmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2017 at 22:36
"As for the quintessential rock band... I'm mostly inclined to give the title to Yes, specially if the Fragile / CttE line-up is considered.."

Man after my own heart! 

"As for King Crimson, you really can't call yourself a prog fan without knowing them.."

Yep I was afraid of that. Oh well, I'll have to start making myself like all their stuff now(or at least the essential stuff) like I did with Gentle Giant. Watch, then there'll be some other band that's now the 'acid test' of true prog fandom. And it'll be like this album of literally nothing but random, obnoxious noises. But if you 'can't get into it' or 'find it too challenging' then you're not a 'true prog fan.' No, I'm obviously joking around. But thanks for the suggestion and your input on ELP. I'll get to all those other prog bands later.. going to concentrate on King Crimson now. I listened to some of Red but wasn't liking it, I'll try again though. Plus those other 3 albums.. Poseidon, Lizard, Lark's. Then when I get to where I love those 4 albums maybe it'll lead to wanting to explore them even further.. But anyway it sounds like those are the one that are essential. 

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 02:46
Man I love it when someone new enters our beloved cult
First 5 albums = top-tier Prog.
My pick will always be their Piccies album. Followed by Tarkus (both sides.....)
So sad how these guys (bar Mr Health-freak Palmer) have left our world.   I'm sure that in 200 years, folks will be baffled as to what's going on here.....
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 13:12
That tripple live album was terrific. Still have original vinyl. Great version of Aqua Tarkus. I remember when we got Love Beach it was a real downer. My friend just said, " well people, it's over" and lit up another joint. Not the band's fault. Best track for me was Fanfare For The Common Man. Might throw Trilogy on the turntable.  It's been a while.
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 13:33
Crimson may take many  years to acquire the taste for some of their albums, Larks tongues especially, but when it clicks the world of Prog will suddenly shift and many doors to many new and exciting species of music will suddenly open to you.

ElP is a band I respect highly, but have always struggled with a lot of their albums. Somehow I always felt they were rather inconsistent. I would love some tracks but remained indifferent to others. Tarkus side 1 is fantastic,and Trilogy is an album to cherish. But saying that most albums have something of interest. For me it's the work of Keith Emerson that makes their sound on the pieces of music I like so attractive. Perhaps you should also take a look at The Nice,especially their version of America. Wow, Wackothat Hammond can scream.Thumbs Up
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 14:01
I remember hearing Lucky Man on the radio a lot when I was a kid...I was fascinated with the sad words and that insane whooping thing at the end LOL...it was a magical song.  Fast forward 4 years and BSS was the very 1st prog album I ever bought, so ELP was my gateway and will always hold a special place.  Then I got Welcome Back... so got used to the sped up version of Tarkus so the studio version was pretty disappointing.  Of the 70's albums, I still give them all a spin in their entirety except Works I & II  & Love Beach (though I'll give Pirates, Fanfare, Hallowed be thy Name and Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman a listen once in awhile).  

Recently I got hold of the "Live at Mar Y Sol Festival 1972" album and it's incredible!  I think for sound quality and performance it blows Welcome Back... out of the water (though Welcome Back is still very cool).
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 14:36
The first 4 are all excellent imho....the debut being my personal favorite for sentimental and artistic reasons. 
After that they took a nosedive for me but 'ces't la vie'....no pun intended.
I can listen to the debut over and over again......a great early prog rock work imho.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 16:09
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Man I love it when someone new enters our beloved cult

When I first read this I immediately tried to delete my account, but it wouldn't let me! Cry

First 5 albums = top-tier Prog.

No question

My pick will always be their Piccies album. Followed by Tarkus (both sides.....)

You love all of Tarkus huh.. I usually stop listening after side one. I should probably stop doing that lol. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 16:19
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

That tripple live album was terrific. Still have original vinyl. Great version of Aqua Tarkus. I remember when we got Love Beach it was a real downer. My friend just said, " well people, it's over" and lit up another joint. Not the band's fault. Best track for me was Fanfare For The Common Man. Might throw Trilogy on the turntable.  It's been a while.

Even after seeing that photo on the cover you were probably like, "Well no don't panic it's still ELP.." But then after the first two tracks you probably were like, "Oh..crap." I like Canario a fair amount from that album. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 16:31
Originally posted by scruffydragon scruffydragon wrote:

Crimson may take many  years to acquire the taste for some of their albums, Larks tongues especially, but when it clicks the world of Prog will suddenly shift and many doors to many new and exciting species of music will suddenly open to you.

Hmm, ok well guess it'll be worth it then..

ElP is a band I respect highly, but have always struggled with a lot of their albums. Somehow I always felt they were rather inconsistent. I would love some tracks but remained indifferent to others. Tarkus side 1 is fantastic,and Trilogy is an album to cherish.. For me it's the work of Keith Emerson that makes their sound on the pieces of music I like so attractive. Perhaps you should also take a look at The Nice,especially their version of America. Wow, Wackothat Hammond can scream.Thumbs Up

The bolded part I completely agree with. Thanks for the suggestion about The Nice. I've seen them mentioned a few times now, so I may really have to check them out.. After I finish acquiring that taste for KC lol. 

Edited by YESESIS - July 31 2017 at 16:34
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 16:40
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I remember hearing Lucky Man on the radio a lot when I was a kid...I was fascinated with the sad words and that insane whooping thing at the end LOL...it was a magical song.  Fast forward 4 years and BSS was the very 1st prog album I ever bought, so ELP was my gateway and will always hold a special place.  Then I got Welcome Back... so got used to the sped up version of Tarkus so the studio version was pretty disappointing.  Of the 70's albums, I still give them all a spin in their entirety except Works I & II  & Love Beach (though I'll give Pirates, Fanfare, Hallowed be thy Name and Memoirs of an Officer and a Gentleman a listen once in awhile).  

Recently I got hold of the "Live at Mar Y Sol Festival 1972" album and it's incredible!  I think for sound quality and performance it blows Welcome Back... out of the water (though Welcome Back is still very cool).

Yeah I haven't listened to Works in a long time either. You sound like a true fan(not that everyone posting in this thread isn't). I'll definitely have to check out this Mar Y Sol Festival deal(I didn't even know that existed). 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 16:42
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The first 4 are all excellent imho....the debut being my personal favorite for sentimental and artistic reasons. 
After that they took a nosedive for me but 'ces't la vie'....no pun intended.
I can listen to the debut over and over again......a great early prog rock work imho.

Unfortunately yeah, they pretty much did. Dead
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 17:39
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I've always liked ELP, but I though BSS was not as impressive as the albums before it. I like Tarkus and Trilogy the best, with Pictures and the self titled following very close. A great band, quite innovative back then, who unfortunately suffered artistically and financially due to mismanagement and bad PR.

Interesting. I feel "Karn Evil 9" is the absolute pinnacle of their "progression." But everything they recorded in their initial four-year-long heyday is absolutely essential in my book. Still...they turn me on! Big smile
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 17:44
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Yeah I haven't listened to Works in a long time either. You sound like a true fan(not that everyone posting in this thread isn't). I'll definitely have to check out this Mar Y Sol Festival deal(I didn't even know that existed). 

A true fan?  You might say that...I did see them at the Oakland Arena on the Works '77 tour Wink  

A couple things about that show, the opening band was Journey.  It was about a month before they hired Steve Perry so hadn't blatantly gone commercial yet and still had the proggy tendencies of their early albums.  ELP had already fired the orchestra because they were losing too much money so you got Pirates with Keith filling all the orchestral parts like a madman.  Have always remembered one of Keith's great comments to the audience.  After a song ended a roadie came out and was working on Keith's setup...he walks up to the mic and says:

"I'm having a little organ trouble...bet you can all get into that" LOL

As far as the Mar Y Sol '72 album goes, you get a fantastic ripping 23 minute Tarkus, abbreviated 15 minute Pictures at an Exhibition, and their big show stopper from the early 70's, an 18+ minute Rondo with a killer CP drum solo and Keith with some of his finest live Hammond work ever, plus Hoedown, Take a Pebble, Lucky Man, and Keith's 10 minute Piano Improvisation showcase.   Plus the sound quality is significantly better than "Welcome Back..."
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 17:45

There's some good material on the Works albums.

I also like the Emerson, Lake & Powell record a lot.

Black Moon was a very enjoyable comeback.

Now, that 3 album (Emerson, Palmer, Berry), and In the Hot Seat...yeah those are forgettable.

Edited by verslibre - July 31 2017 at 17:47
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 19:24
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

A true fan?  You might say that...I did see them at the Oakland Arena on the Works '77 tour Wink  

A couple things about that show, the opening band was Journey.  It was about a month before they hired Steve Perry so hadn't blatantly gone commercial yet and still had the proggy tendencies of their early albums.  ELP had already fired the orchestra because they were losing too much money so you got Pirates with Keith filling all the orchestral parts like a madman.  Have always remembered one of Keith's great comments to the audience.  After a song ended a roadie came out and was working on Keith's setup...he walks up to the mic and says:

"I'm having a little organ trouble...bet you can all get into that" LOL

As far as the Mar Y Sol '72 album goes, you get a fantastic ripping 23 minute Tarkus, abbreviated 15 minute Pictures at an Exhibition, and their big show stopper from the early 70's, an 18+ minute Rondo with a killer CP drum solo and Keith with some of his finest live Hammond work ever, plus Hoedown, Take a Pebble, Lucky Man, and Keith's 10 minute Piano Improvisation showcase.   Plus the sound quality is significantly better than "Welcome Back..."

Oh man! You saw ELP live with a (before Steve Perry)Journey.. Mercy you're lucky. What I wouldn't give to be able to go back in time and be catch that show! 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 19:29
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

There's some good material on the Works albums.

I also like the Emerson, Lake & Powell record a lot.

Black Moon was a very enjoyable comeback.

Now, that 3 album (Emerson, Palmer, Berry), and In the Hot Seat...yeah those are forgettable.

I like a lot of Works, just not nearly as much as the first 5 albums(including Pictures). And then I never really followed their career after that. I've listened to Love Beach a couple times but that's it(couldn't stomach it more than that). 

People keep mentioning Black Moon I'll have to check that out after I finish this KC deal. Listening to Larks' right now and just got done listening to Red again. So far seem kind of heavy and dark..
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 20:39

"As for the quintessential rock band... I'm mostly inclined to give the title to Yes, specially if the Fragile / CttE line-up is considered.."

Man after my own heart! 

"As for King Crimson, you really can't call yourself a prog fan without knowing them.."

Yep I was afraid of that. Oh well, I'll have to start making myself like all their stuff now(or at least the essential stuff) like I did with Gentle Giant. Watch, then there'll be some other band that's now the 'acid test' of true prog fandom. And it'll be like this album of literally nothing but random, obnoxious noises. But if you 'can't get into it' or 'find it too challenging' then you're not a 'true prog fan.' No, I'm obviously joking around. But thanks for the suggestion and your input on ELP. I'll get to all those other prog bands later.. going to concentrate on King Crimson now. I listened to some of Red but wasn't liking it, I'll try again though. Plus those other 3 albums.. Poseidon, Lizard, Lark's. Then when I get to where I love those 4 albums maybe it'll lead to wanting to explore them even further.. But anyway it sounds like those are the one that are essential. 

Well, of course you don't have to like King Crimson to be a true prog fan, but you should know them. And yes, you should give them a fair chance before dismissing them anyway. Red is one of Crimson's most beloved albums, but it did take me long to like it... still I wouldn't say it's their best. I guess you can see an important change in their musical style compared to the debut (still my favourite from them). However, you might want to focus on the song Red and on Starless. Red should be the easiest to love, but I do like better live versions from the double trio (90's version of the band with two guitars, to bass players, and two drummers, plus one of the guitars is the singer too), or the currently touring band also plays it wonderfully (with three drummes and sax added to the line-up... and by the way, if King Crimson are still going anywhere near you, you should make sure to catch a show, it's one of the best you are bound so see in your life). Starless is one of the most beloved songs in PA from any band, so it might not be so easy to love as red, but it's likely it will have the most lasting impression... though I particularly like better the live version from the previous tours to the Red album, while David Cross was still with the band and they still played that song with violin (I heard that version first, from the live album I recommended of Collectable Vol 1, and for me the main theme of that song was made to be played with a violin, which the studio version changed for guitar). Fallen Angel and One More Red Nightmare took me longer to like, and still are not among my very favourite Crimson songs, but they do are enjoyable, specially for Brufords magnificent drumming. Providence is just a lost case for me anyway.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 20:47
EMERSON, LAKE AND PALMER are among the most brilliant of Prog bands.
I can't understand those who think otherwise.....??
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 21:07
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

EMERSON, LAKE AND PALMER are among the most brilliant of Prog bands.
I can't understand those who think otherwise.....??

Haha. I can't either. I think whoever this person is... needs to be labeled on here as "not a true prog fan."

I'm kidding of course. I love ELP but if someone else doesn't it's cool.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 21:14
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Man after my own heart! 

Well, of course you don't have to like King Crimson to be a true prog fan, but you should know them. And yes, you should give them a fair chance before dismissing them anyway. Red is one of Crimson's most beloved albums, but it did take me long to like it... still I wouldn't say it's their best. I guess you can see an important change in their musical style compared to the debut (still my favourite from them). However, you might want to focus on the song Red and on Starless. Red should be the easiest to love, but I do like better live versions from the double trio (90's version of the band with two guitars, to bass players, and two drummers, plus one of the guitars is the singer too), or the currently touring band also plays it wonderfully (with three drummes and sax added to the line-up... and by the way, if King Crimson are still going anywhere near you, you should make sure to catch a show, it's one of the best you are bound so see in your life). Starless is one of the most beloved songs in PA from any band, so it might not be so easy to love as red, but it's likely it will have the most lasting impression... though I particularly like better the live version from the previous tours to the Red album, while David Cross was still with the band and they still played that song with violin (I heard that version first, from the live album I recommended of Collectable Vol 1, and for me the main theme of that song was made to be played with a violin, which the studio version changed for guitar). Fallen Angel and One More Red Nightmare took me longer to like, and still are not among my very favourite Crimson songs, but they do are enjoyable, specially for Brufords magnificent drumming. Providence is just a lost case for me anyway.

Cool I like that album a lot too. That's the one album by them that I do know, but I'm working on the others slowly but surely. So far I don't like them but that could change.. I didn't like Gentle Giant at first either(seemed too bizarre), but now I love them. 

Sounds like you know a lot about KC so I appreciate your knowledge and input. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>