Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEmerson, Lake & Palmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2017 at 22:03
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Oh man! You saw ELP live with a (before Steve Perry)Journey.. Mercy you're lucky. What I wouldn't give to be able to go back in time and be catch that show! 

Definitely lucky...though I bet there's probably a small group of people around here who saw the BSS tour in '74 Wink
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 00:17

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

EMERSON, LAKE AND PALMER are among the most brilliant of Prog bands.
I can't understand those who think otherwise.....??

Haha. I can't either. I think whoever this person is... needs to be labeled on here as "not a true prog fan."

I'm kidding of course. I love ELP but if someone else doesn't it's cool.
I say this coz among the very first vinyls I bought were BSS. Back in 1986 - I was 14. Those who I played it to - mainly the Ginastera piece, labelled me as a 'crazy tripper'. I still suffer for it, but would never pass up my ELP !! I also have a ton of respect for Love Beach (mainly Canario and side 2) so there goes.
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 04:58
ELP are my favourite group, mainly for the first four albums with BSS as the zenith. To me they were heavy and progressive, with tracks like Knife Edge, Time and a Place, Living Sin and their versions of Jerusalem and Toccata. BSS remains marvellously experimental and futuristic to this day, if not even more so. Following BSS, Works was a disappointment, although they do contain Pirates and I Believe in Father Christmas, both of which stand alongside anything else by the band. 

I like Love Beach a lot, although the synths have always been irritating by comparison with those on the earlier albums. Even the otherwise bland In the Hot Seat, is listenable to me, just to hear Greg Lake's voice. To use a terrible cliche, he really could sing the telephone directory and make it sound good.

The ELP with Cozy Powell album has too much echo on Lake's voice, especially as it is not needed, but it does contain a worthy oddity in The Score. Dark Moon brought about the tour which produced the best ELP performance imo that came on the 1992 BBC broadcast from the Albert Hall, introduced by Alan Freeman. The DVD and CD were disappointing, because they omitted Pictures at an Exhibition and Pirates, but there is an official bootleg. Their presentation of this version of Pictures at an Exhibition/Pirates is monumental by any standard. 

I came to ELP from Lake/McDonald-era Crimson and Atomic Rooster (less so The Nice who are okay), and you cannot go wrong with either of them. Speaking of The Nice, Refugee without Emerson were very good - the instrumental, Ritt Mickley, stands out. Greg Lake's solo band albums with Gary Moore are worth hearing, as is Keith Emerson's OST for Nighthawks. 

Edited by Big Ears - August 01 2017 at 05:05
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 05:47
Keith holds his own with Oscar Peterson one of the greatest jazz interpreters. Carl Palmer is in Keith's corner.

Edited by Kepler62 - August 01 2017 at 05:48
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 08:32
^ Agreed but according to his autobiography, Keith was so nervous about this performance with his avowed hero 'Peterson' he seriously considered abandoning the whole show while sitting in his dressing room prior to going on screen....
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 12:16
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

The ELP with Cozy Powell album has too much echo on Lake's voice, especially as it is not needed, but it does contain a worthy oddity in The Score.
I think it's a very underrated record. "The Score," "The Miracle," "Touch and Go," "Love Blind" and even "Step Aside" all rock my boat.

Black Moon brought about the tour which produced the best ELP performance imo that came on the 1992 BBC broadcast from the Albert Hall, introduced by Alan Freeman. The DVD and CD were disappointing, because they omitted Pictures at an Exhibition and Pirates, but there is an official bootleg. Their presentation of this version of Pictures at an Exhibition/Pirates is monumental by any standard.

ELP's concert at the Wiltern Theater in Los Angeles remains one of the best shows I've ever seen. Incredible.

Speaking of The Nice, Refugee without Emerson were very good - the instrumental, Ritt Mickley, stands out.

It's a must if you're into the keyboard trio prog rock sound!

Greg Lake's solo band albums with Gary Moore are worth hearing, as is Keith Emerson's OST for Nighthawks.

I like those solo Lake records a lot.

Even better: Keith's scores for Dario Argento's Inferno, and Michele Soavi's The Church. The 3CD collection At The Movies contains those, plus Best Revenge, Murderock, Harmagedon, and Godzilla: Final Wars. (Keith's music for Marvel's 1994 Iron Man animated series is not a part of the set.)
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 19:33

ELP are my favourite group, mainly for the first four albums with BSS as the zenith. To me they were heavy and progressive, with tracks like Knife Edge, Time and a Place, Living Sin and their versions of Jerusalem and Toccata. BSS remains marvellously experimental and futuristic to this day, if not even more so. Following BSS, Works was a disappointment, although they do contain Pirates and I Believe in Father Christmas, both of which stand alongside anything else by the band. 

I like Love Beach a lot, although the synths have always been irritating by comparison with those on the earlier albums. Even the otherwise bland In the Hot Seat, is listenable to me, just to hear Greg Lake's voice. To use a terrible cliche, he really could sing the telephone directory and make it sound good.

The ELP with Cozy Powell album has too much echo on Lake's voice, especially as it is not needed, but it does contain a worthy oddity in The Score. Dark Moon brought about the tour which produced the best ELP performance imo that came on the 1992 BBC broadcast from the Albert Hall, introduced by Alan Freeman. The DVD and CD were disappointing, because they omitted Pictures at an Exhibition and Pirates, but there is an official bootleg. Their presentation of this version of Pictures at an Exhibition/Pirates is monumental by any standard. 

I came to ELP from Lake/McDonald-era Crimson and Atomic Rooster (less so The Nice who are okay), and you cannot go wrong with either of them. Speaking of The Nice, Refugee without Emerson were very good - the instrumental, Ritt Mickley, stands out. Greg Lake's solo band albums with Gary Moore are worth hearing, as is Keith Emerson's OST for Nighthawks. 

Wow, this is a true fan. I gotta get into some of this stuff beyond just the first 5 albums lol. Great suggestions, thanks. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 19:37

EMERSON, LAKE AND PALMER are among the most brilliant of Prog bands.
I can't understand those who think otherwise.....??

Haha. I can't either. I think whoever this person is... needs to be labeled on here as "not a true prog fan."

I'm kidding of course. I love ELP but if someone else doesn't it's cool.
I say this coz among the very first vinyls I bought were BSS. Back in 1986 - I was 14. Those who I played it to - mainly the Ginastera piece, labelled me as a 'crazy tripper'. I still suffer for it, but would never pass up my ELP !! I also have a ton of respect for Love Beach (mainly Canario and side 2) so there goes.

I was 15 in '86. Born may of '71. Haha, those first 2 or 3 songs on Love Beach you're not crazy about though huh lol. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 19:41
Boy you all know your stuff here, right on. I can see I've come to the right place. Thumbs Up
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 21:23

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

"As for the quintessential rock band... I'm mostly inclined to give the title to Yes, specially if the Fragile / CttE line-up is considered.."

Man after my own heart! 

"As for King Crimson, you really can't call yourself a prog fan without knowing them.."

Yep I was afraid of that. Oh well, I'll have to start making myself like all their stuff now(or at least the essential stuff) like I did with Gentle Giant. Watch, then there'll be some other band that's now the 'acid test' of true prog fandom. And it'll be like this album of literally nothing but random, obnoxious noises. But if you 'can't get into it' or 'find it too challenging' then you're not a 'true prog fan.' No, I'm obviously joking around. But thanks for the suggestion and your input on ELP. I'll get to all those other prog bands later.. going to concentrate on King Crimson now. I listened to some of Red but wasn't liking it, I'll try again though. Plus those other 3 albums.. Poseidon, Lizard, Lark's. Then when I get to where I love those 4 albums maybe it'll lead to wanting to explore them even further.. But anyway it sounds like those are the one that are essential. 

Well, of course you don't have to like King Crimson to be a true prog fan, but you should know them. And yes, you should give them a fair chance before dismissing them anyway. Red is one of Crimson's most beloved albums, but it did take me long to like it... still I wouldn't say it's their best. I guess you can see an important change in their musical style compared to the debut (still my favourite from them). However, you might want to focus on the song Red and on Starless. Red should be the easiest to love, but I do like better live versions from the double trio (90's version of the band with two guitars, to bass players, and two drummers, plus one of the guitars is the singer too), or the currently touring band also plays it wonderfully (with three drummes and sax added to the line-up... and by the way, if King Crimson are still going anywhere near you, you should make sure to catch a show, it's one of the best you are bound so see in your life). Starless is one of the most beloved songs in PA from any band, so it might not be so easy to love as red, but it's likely it will have the most lasting impression... though I particularly like better the live version from the previous tours to the Red album, while David Cross was still with the band and they still played that song with violin (I heard that version first, from the live album I recommended of Collectable Vol 1, and for me the main theme of that song was made to be played with a violin, which the studio version changed for guitar). Fallen Angel and One More Red Nightmare took me longer to like, and still are not among my very favourite Crimson songs, but they do are enjoyable, specially for Brufords magnificent drumming. Providence is just a lost case for me anyway.

Cool I like that album a lot too. That's the one album by them that I do know, but I'm working on the others slowly but surely. So far I don't like them but that could change.. I didn't like Gentle Giant at first either(seemed too bizarre), but now I love them. 

Sounds like you know a lot about KC so I appreciate your knowledge and input. 

Yeah, it's happened to me too... finding the music too weird at first and not understanding it. Many times with prog. But I guess the most notorious was with Yes, Fragile and CttE... I had already gotten to know and love some prog (Focus, Rick Wakeman, Pink Floyd), but this was the first band I got into knowing they were Prog, and what prog was. And indeed the albums sounded too weird, and I just didn't find the melodies easily... but there was something that made me come back again and again, listen to them over and over. I would find the bass heavy middle section of "Roundabout" interesting and cool, and listen to that song because of that. Or the middle piano section of "South Side of the Sky" so beautiful. Or the organ "I get Up, I get Down" section of "Close to the Edge"... and actually the whole "And you and I"... and then I would just love the albums, and go on getting the next ones. More recently it happened with Van Der Graaf Generator (and many others). With Pink Floyd it was mostly the other way around, finding their music too dull and slow, or whatever... but when the melodies stuck in my mind and can relate to them, they are were the best (then I got into earlier Pink Floyd, and then they would be weird too). And yeah, I might know enough from King Crimson... but I don't even have all their studio albums... but I have filled the gap with live albums including songs from those albums I don't have.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 22:16

"As for the quintessential rock band... I'm mostly inclined to give the title to Yes, specially if the Fragile / CttE line-up is considered.."

Man after my own heart! 

"As for King Crimson, you really can't call yourself a prog fan without knowing them.."

Yep I was afraid of that. Oh well, I'll have to start making myself like all their stuff now(or at least the essential stuff) like I did with Gentle Giant. Watch, then there'll be some other band that's now the 'acid test' of true prog fandom. And it'll be like this album of literally nothing but random, obnoxious noises. But if you 'can't get into it' or 'find it too challenging' then you're not a 'true prog fan.' No, I'm obviously joking around. But thanks for the suggestion and your input on ELP. I'll get to all those other prog bands later.. going to concentrate on King Crimson now. I listened to some of Red but wasn't liking it, I'll try again though. Plus those other 3 albums.. Poseidon, Lizard, Lark's. Then when I get to where I love those 4 albums maybe it'll lead to wanting to explore them even further.. But anyway it sounds like those are the one that are essential. 

Well, of course you don't have to like King Crimson to be a true prog fan, but you should know them. And yes, you should give them a fair chance before dismissing them anyway. Red is one of Crimson's most beloved albums, but it did take me long to like it... still I wouldn't say it's their best. I guess you can see an important change in their musical style compared to the debut (still my favourite from them). However, you might want to focus on the song Red and on Starless. Red should be the easiest to love, but I do like better live versions from the double trio (90's version of the band with two guitars, to bass players, and two drummers, plus one of the guitars is the singer too), or the currently touring band also plays it wonderfully (with three drummes and sax added to the line-up... and by the way, if King Crimson are still going anywhere near you, you should make sure to catch a show, it's one of the best you are bound so see in your life). Starless is one of the most beloved songs in PA from any band, so it might not be so easy to love as red, but it's likely it will have the most lasting impression... though I particularly like better the live version from the previous tours to the Red album, while David Cross was still with the band and they still played that song with violin (I heard that version first, from the live album I recommended of Collectable Vol 1, and for me the main theme of that song was made to be played with a violin, which the studio version changed for guitar). Fallen Angel and One More Red Nightmare took me longer to like, and still are not among my very favourite Crimson songs, but they do are enjoyable, specially for Brufords magnificent drumming. Providence is just a lost case for me anyway.

Cool I like that album a lot too. That's the one album by them that I do know, but I'm working on the others slowly but surely. So far I don't like them but that could change.. I didn't like Gentle Giant at first either(seemed too bizarre), but now I love them. 

Sounds like you know a lot about KC so I appreciate your knowledge and input. 

Yeah, it's happened to me too... finding the music too weird at first and not understanding it. Many times with prog. But I guess the most notorious was with Yes, Fragile and CttE... I had already gotten to know and love some prog (Focus, Rick Wakeman, Pink Floyd), but this was the first band I got into knowing they were Prog, and what prog was. And indeed the albums sounded too weird, and I just didn't find the melodies easily... but there was something that made me come back again and again, listen to them over and over. I would find the bass heavy middle section of "Roundabout" interesting and cool, and listen to that song because of that. Or the middle piano section of "South Side of the Sky" so beautiful. Or the organ "I get Up, I get Down" section of "Close to the Edge"... and actually the whole "And you and I"... and then I would just love the albums, and go on getting the next ones. More recently it happened with Van Der Graaf Generator (and many others). With Pink Floyd it was mostly the other way around, finding their music too dull and slow, or whatever... but when the melodies stuck in my mind and can relate to them, they are were the best (then I got into earlier Pink Floyd, and then they would be weird too). And yeah, I might know enough from King Crimson... but I don't even have all their studio albums... but I have filled the gap with live albums including songs from those albums I don't have.

Yeah CTTE I didn't like the first time I heard it either. I had 90125 and people said, oh you gotta get Close to the Edge and Fragile.. basically along the lines of 'you're not a true fan if you don't have that early proggy stuff.' The same thing happened with Genesis btw(I had the self-titled album and people weren't satisfied until I got the earlier Gabriel stuff). So I was kind of forced into prog by the 'real' fans of the 80's stuff I was already listening to at the time. But anyway, you mentioned Van der Graaf Generator.. I'm sort of trying to get into them as well now(seem to be big on this forum). I listened to The least we can do.. and it was very just ok imo. But then I really liked the second song on Pawn Hearts. The organ along with whatever that distortion is was pretty kick ass. So not sure what to think of them so far. But yeah.. Crimson idk, I've listened to Red and 'Larks' a couple times each now and it's good. Both are very heavy.. and then become much more mellow.. and some interesting instruments and stuff, but it's not classic Yes lol. It's good but didn't blow me away basically. So I gave them a chance.. just, idk.. good but definitely not my favorite. 
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2017 at 22:58
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

The ELP with Cozy Powell album has too much echo on Lake's voice, especially as it is not needed, but it does contain a worthy oddity in The Score.
I think it's a very underrated record. "The Score," "The Miracle," "Touch and Go," "Love Blind" and even "Step Aside" all rock my boat.

Agreed...very overlooked.  Back in my vinyl days it was one of those "side 1 only albums" for me...but what a great side 1!!!  And I always thought the "Touch and Go" video was really cool too Wink
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 12:35

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I prefer Triumvirat.

I'm sure that's something I should know, but.. no clue. 
Predoug is our resident Triumvirat fanatic. If you like ELP definitely check them out.  The first three albums are the best.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 13:52
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Predoug is our resident Triumvirat fanatic. If you like ELP definitely check them out. The first three albums are the best.
The fourth album, Old Loves Die Hard, is a winner! (The first record is simply too derivative of ELP.)

zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 13:59
Yeah Old Loves Die Hard has some great vocals by Barry Palmer
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 16:29
Originally posted by zachfive zachfive wrote:

Yeah Old Loves Die Hard has some great vocals by Barry Palmer

Barry P..Palmer?? Now I gotta hear this album..
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 16:30
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

I prefer Triumvirat.

I'm sure that's something I should know, but.. no clue. 
Predoug is our resident Triumvirat fanatic. If you like ELP definitely check them out.  The first three albums are the best.

Alright cool, thanks for the suggestion. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 16:32
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

The fourth album, Old Loves Die Hard, is a winner! (The first record is simply too derivative of ELP.)

And that's a bad thing? 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 18:29
It's not a bad thing, per se. I simply prefer to listen to the three after it.

More stellar ELP-inspired albums you need to check out:

Ars Nova – Fear and Anxiety
Ars Nova – Transi
Ars Nova – The Goddess of Darkness
Ars Nova – Book of the Dead
Cherry Five – self-titled
Deja-Vu – Baroque in the Future
Gerard – Pandora's Box
Gerard – Live at Marseilles
Gerard/Ars Nova – Keyboards Triangle
Gerard – Keyboards Triangle 2
Jaime Rosas – Virgo
Jaime Rosas Trio – Extremos
Motoi Sakuraba – Gikyoku Onsou
Social Tension – MacBethia
Trace – self-titled
Trace – Birds
U.K. – Danger Money

...and if you haven't heard Rick Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry VIII, or Criminal Record...you need to!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 18:35
Rick %$#^ Wakeman.. now you're speaking my language! Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>