Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEmerson, Lake & Palmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2017 at 21:15
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I just looked it up and "Criminal Record" is not entirely instrumental. There's vocals on one track and a choir on others. Six wives which I am familiar with has vocals but no singing per se just "oohs and ahhs" from some of the same singers who were on Pink Floyd's dark side of the moon which explains why the background wordless vocals sound similar. Still I suppose we could call Six wives instrumental. 

If you do a search on here I believe you can still find some good threads on instrumental prog. 

I hadn't noticed that thing about shared singers on 6 Wives and Dark Side... I'll have to check it out. It's a nice anecdotes (good for the Obscure Prog Facts that was around for a good time a while ago).

Well only two singers were the same for both sessions(Liza Strike and Barry St. John)but you can still hear strong similarities in the backing vocals nonetheless. 

I guess I'll have to pay attention to that aspect next time I listen to those albums... specially 6 Wives.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2017 at 21:20
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Oh yeah, one more thing, for the Genesis loving part, you might want to check out Big Big Train's English Electric albums. I really loved those ones, and they had that feel from Genesis, without ripping them off. Though, actually, given the sound they achieved, I would love if they would make a tribute album of classic Genesis.

I do love my classic Genesis.. ANY Genesis tbh.  Yeah wow, thanks a lot for all of these great suggestions in all these posts tonight. A lot to digest lol. And that Mike guy sounds great.. 4 albums in a row of pure instrumental magic. Mercy, that sounds fantastic to me. And that Catherine of Aragon performed by almost the CTTE lineup.. anything done by that version of Yes has to be good! So thanks again for all your suggestions.. looks like a whole lot of terrific stuff here for me to discover.. 

From Oldfield you might want to add his latest, Return to Ommadawn, to the list. Also wonderful and the closest he has come to his 70's magic since... well, the 70's. Actually, listening to that one it's like a time machine brought that album to be released just now after recording it back then. I don't think many artists have been so succesful at trying to recapture their golden days decades after (including Oldfield himself with previous attempts) Also, Songs from distant Earth is a wonderful instrumental album, even though that one didn't try to recreate his 70's sound, but be something new. He's got many other instrumental albums, but I haven't got them all yet.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 15:09

From Oldfield you might want to add his latest, Return to Ommadawn, to the list. Also wonderful and the closest he has come to his 70's magic since... well, the 70's. Actually, listening to that one it's like a time machine brought that album to be released just now after recording it back then. I don't think many artists have been so succesful at trying to recapture their golden days decades after (including Oldfield himself with previous attempts) Also, Songs from distant Earth is a wonderful instrumental album, even though that one didn't try to recreate his 70's sound, but be something new. He's got many other instrumental albums, but I haven't got them all yet.

Awesome, thanks for the further suggestions! 

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 15:13
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Just been Capcha'd several times this eve for posting extended responses. Captcha can get f**ked. I'm not bothering with nothing but few word replies......(dirty c**ts.......)

I feel your pain buddy. But you shouldn't lose your whole post. Just click back one screen and do the test again.. if you click all the way back to your post then it'll be gone and lost. For me, even if it says I don't have access to the page(or whatever it says), I just click back one and do the test again(without losing anything). 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 15:20
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

KE9. First Impression is as good as it gets for ELP...shortly behind is PAAE and Tarkus (title track)....A lot of the other stuff is very poor by comparison. I'm not too keen on the stuff before Tarkus.... nor any stuff after BSS.
Yes & genesis 1970-1977 have far more quality and consistency.
I would recommend - The Par Lindh project - Gothic Impressions - thats very ELP in parts and It's a brilliant CD!

I'll have to check that out then, thanks. Also cool avi. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 15:28
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

All that is wonderful and utterly deplorable about Prog is manifest in ELP (and that's why they should be a salutary deterrent to anyone even attempting 'earnest' on this site) : Unimpeachable virtuosity wedded to musical substance, grandiose musical structures, unfettered musical ambition, faux symphonic rigour, pyrotechnical panto theatrics, supply teacher lyricism, tongue in cheek bombast, 'everything louder than everything else' dynamics and a huge slice of 'devil may care' chutzpah. I love 'em to bits and hope that Lester Bangs continues to relish their work from whatever corner of Hell he is consigned, shackled in front of a PA system blasting out their entire discography for eternity (with In the Hot Seat repeated twice each time for ironic emphasis)

Yep, they are awesome. 

Also, how about the title track from Love Beach played continuously on loop lol(although I don't even know who this Lester Bangs is). 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 15:32
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

Occasionally i Try to listen to Love Beach hoping that there is something that I might have missed . I always start with side two but when I flip it over I just can't get even halfway through the title track Love Beach so I just skip to Canario and say to myself, " Yep, still sh*t".

Haha, yeah it's not good. Although I like The Gambler, Canario, and a lot of side two. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 15:33
Wow, too many responses to get to all of them here but thank you all for your input. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 15:48
A live clip of Gerard performing the title track of Sighs of the Water.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 15:56
Ars Nova live in 1997, performing "Morgan" from their third album, The Goddess of Darkness.

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 16:02
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

What the heck.. I just listened to that whole thing and it was awesome! I could literally listen to these guys for hours. 
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 16:03

All that is wonderful and utterly deplorable about Prog is manifest in ELP (and that's why they should be a salutary deterrent to anyone even attempting 'earnest' on this site) : Unimpeachable virtuosity wedded to musical substance, grandiose musical structures, unfettered musical ambition, faux symphonic rigour, pyrotechnical panto theatrics, supply teacher lyricism, tongue in cheek bombast, 'everything louder than everything else' dynamics and a huge slice of 'devil may care' chutzpah. I love 'em to bits and hope that Lester Bangs continues to relish their work from whatever corner of Hell he is consigned, shackled in front of a PA system blasting out their entire discography for eternity (with In the Hot Seat repeated twice each time for ironic emphasis)

Yep, they are awesome. 

Also, how about the title track from Love Beach played continuously on loop lol(although I don't even know who this Lester Bangs is). 

Lester Bangs was a US music journalist who used to routinely trash ELP at every opportunity
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 16:07

Yep, they are awesome. 

Lester Bangs was a US music journalist who used to routinely trash ELP at every opportunity

What an idiot.. He must have just started writing right after the Love Beach album came out. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 16:20

Ars Nova live in 1997, performing "Morgan" from their third album, The Goddess of Darkness.

WOW.. you sure know what I like!! I need to start taking your recommendations a lot more seriously on here. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 16:21
Here's Motoi Sakuraba (the "Japanese Rick Wakeman") in concert, who demonstrates that if you want to get things done, you wall yourself in with keyboards...just like Rick!

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 16:28

Here's Motoi Sakuraba (the "Japanese Rick Wakeman") in concert, who demonstrates that if you want to get things done, you wall yourself in with keyboards...just like Rick!

These just keep getting better and better lol.. my goodness. And none of these bands appear to even have a singer.. right on!!! 

So right up my alley. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 16:30
Who even needs Rick Wakeman at this point(I didn't just say that). 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 16:31

What the heck.. I just listened to that whole thing and it was awesome! I could literally listen to these guys for hours.

Glad you like 'em! Here's my favorite track from their 1997 album Pandora's Box. I can't believe it's been 20 years since this came out.

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 16:40

Glad you like 'em! Here's my favorite track from their 1997 album Pandora's Box. I can't believe it's been 20 years since this came out.

Yeah, that's really good. You seem to understand my taste. What one all instrumental prog album would you most recommend for me? 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 16:48

Who even needs Rick Wakeman at this point(I didn't just say that). 

We'll pretend you didn't. WinkLOL

I need Rick! I love Rick! I need the third book in is Grumpy Old Rock Star autobiographical series.

Here's some recent live action by Rick — the Caped Crusader wailing away on "White Rock"!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>