Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEmerson, Lake & Palmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 17:00
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Who even needs Rick Wakeman at this point(I didn't just say that). 

We'll pretend you didn't. WinkLOL

I need Rick! I love Rick! I need the third book in is Grumpy Old Rock Star autobiographical series.

Here's some recent live action by Rick — the Caped Crusader wailing away on "White Rock"!

Still doing his thing. Awesome. Yes, gotta love Rick! I want to get more into those Japanese women though(not like that!), and that third video you posted about the "Japanese Wakeman." I need to explore those artists further..  
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 17:05

Yeah, that's really good. You seem to understand my taste. What one all instrumental prog album would you most recommend for me? 

I can't recommend only one, because there's a lot of top-shelf music in this vein. Hence my list in this thread. Do you want to get one right now, or several? Where do you usually order music?

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 17:08

Yeah, that's really good. You seem to understand my taste. What one all instrumental prog album would you most recommend for me? 

I can't recommend only one, because there's a lot of top-shelf music in this vein. Hence my list in this thread. Do you want to get one right now, or several? Where do you usually order music?

I get all my music from mp3million.com. I wanted to try just one and then if I really like it then I will buy more.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 17:43

I want to get more into those Japanese women though(not like that!)
Hold on to your chin strap, because here's the short-lived double-keyboards formation of Ars Nova (Keiko Kumagai & Mika Nakajimi – keys; Akiko Takahashi – drumkit), live in Helsinki in 2001.

and that third video you posted about the "Japanese Wakeman."
Mo' Motoi!

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 21:37

I want to get more into those Japanese women though(not like that!)
Hold on to your chin strap, because here's the short-lived double-keyboards formation of Ars Nova (Keiko Kumagai & Mika Nakajimi – keys; Akiko Takahashi – drumkit), live in Helsinki in 2001.

and that third video you posted about the "Japanese Wakeman."
Mo' Motoi!

The one with that Japanese Wakeman guy is very good. I also like the one with those women, they are cute(no I need to stop that and just appreciate the music lol). Anyway thanks a lot for posting these. Definitely two acts that plan to explore further. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 21:42
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2017 at 09:57
ELP was right up there with Yes, Pink Floyd and Genesis for me back in the 70's. My love for them faded quickly after Works Vol. I and rarely go back into their discography. But here's my take:

ELP 9/10
Tarkus 10/10
Pictures 8/10
Trilogy 10/10
BSS 10/10
Works One 6/10
Works Two 4/10
Love Beach 3/10
Black Moon 3/10
In The Hot Seat 2/10
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2017 at 10:20
^ I'm curious how you would rate the ELPowell album.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 11 2017 at 10:21
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2017 at 12:37
Black Moon is a LOT better than In the Hot Seat!
I mean, it's no wonder "ITHS" is an anagram of a popular curse word...LOL
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2017 at 21:01
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

ELP was right up there with Yes, Pink Floyd and Genesis for me back in the 70's. My love for them faded quickly after Works Vol. I and rarely go back into their discography. But here's my take:

ELP 9/10
Tarkus 10/10
Pictures 8/10
Trilogy 10/10
BSS 10/10
Works One 6/10
Works Two 4/10
Love Beach 3/10
Black Moon 3/10
In The Hot Seat 2/10

Trilogy and BSS both 10/10, right on! Totally agree with that assessment. And man.. In The Hot Seat must be very bad lol. I haven't heard it yet but people seem to talk about it like Genesis fans talk about Calling All Stations(which I actually kind of like). So maybe I should give this last ELP album a chance as well here. 
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 01:34
Has it occurred to anybody that Works Vol. 2 contains two of the finest and most overlooked ELP instrumentals?  No, everybody is busy sl*g.ing it off and giving it low rankings.  Yes, it is uneven and cobbled together but it contains some great music.  Emerson also tried hard with the much maligned Love Beach ('Canario' is another overlooked belter) and no one seemed to understand the irony of that photo on the cover.  ELPowell stood out in the 80s when compared to the dross that their contemporaries were producing.  One of the greatest - and most exciting bands - on the face of the earth.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 17:04
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Has it occurred to anybody that Works Vol. 2 contains two of the finest and most overlooked ELP instrumentals?  No, everybody is busy sl*g.ing it off and giving it low rankings.  Yes, it is uneven and cobbled together but it contains some great music.  Emerson also tried hard with the much maligned Love Beach ('Canario' is another overlooked belter) and no one seemed to understand the irony of that photo on the cover.  ELPowell stood out in the 80s when compared to the dross that their contemporaries were producing.  One of the greatest - and most exciting bands - on the face of the earth.

I'll agree with that statement every time. They're literally my third favorite prog band of all time behind only Genesis and Yes. And yeah Canario is my favorite track on Love Beach. But I think they forgot who their audience was/is on that album(mostly men), the cover and the title track.. just not smart imo from a business perspective. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 04:13

It's not a bad thing, per se. I simply prefer to listen to the three after it.

More stellar ELP-inspired albums you need to check out:

Ars Nova – Fear and Anxiety
Ars Nova – Transi
Ars Nova – The Goddess of Darkness
Ars Nova – Book of the Dead
Cherry Five – self-titled
Deja-Vu – Baroque in the Future
Gerard – Pandora's Box
Gerard – Live at Marseilles
Gerard/Ars Nova – Keyboards Triangle
Gerard – Keyboards Triangle 2
Jaime Rosas – Virgo
Jaime Rosas Trio – Extremos
Motoi Sakuraba – Gikyoku Onsou
Social Tension – MacBethia
Trace – self-titled
Trace – Birds
U.K. – Danger Money

...and if you haven't heard Rick Wakeman's Six Wives of Henry VIII, or Criminal Record...you need to!

agreed but also most of Le Orme's back catalogue is very ELP like as well.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 04:16

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

I would recommend - The Par Lindh project - Gothic Impressions - thats very ELP in parts and It's a brilliant CD!

I concur, and the next two are even better: Mundus Incompertus, and Veni Vidi Vici.

A decade later, Par Lindh returned with a new album and line-up for Time Mirror, which is also good.

again spot on Thumbs Up
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 04:21

The recent Keith Emerson tribute in Birmingham (UK) absolutely needed him. He played the solo on Abaddon's Bolero with the orchestra as well as saying some very nice things about Keith.
Rachael Flowers was also absolutely amazing at this concert. Surprised she hasn't been mentioned on this thread (unless I missed it skimming through the comments).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 04:38
The one this that always comes up on ELP threads (there have been many) is whether they started to fall away from BSS onwards. It's interesting (to me anyway) that they were getting quite distracted by setting up the new record label (Manticore) and so it would make sense if commercial considerations were overtaking them at the time. My own feeling on the matter is that BSS is their best and most coherent work excepting that Benny The Bouncer really doesn't belong on that album (they could have included either the track called Brain Salad Surgery or When The Apple Blossom Blooms ... which are much better) but never mind. Without that you still some the most mind blowingly complex and technically brilliant symh prog ever made. The production does fall under being too compressed perhaps but they were attempting to create a more panoramic sound in keeping with their live shows of the time. It has been terribly re mastered over the years though which is a real shame (stick with the Sony release as that's the best imo and avoid the horrible 'deluxe reissues) and that is one of the problems. Still one of the most original prog releases and my favourite album for 40 years!

Overall ELP were just one of those bands that refused to stick to the plan. Too many big egos in the band and outside record company interference in the end put paid to them. Black Moon was a decent comeback but as said before Emerson (and Palmer) were having massive physical issues with their hands and that fluency they were so famed for never returned.

In the end they are best remembered as a flamboyant band who recorded some interesting and important albums. They tried things that other musicians wanted to do but were either too shy or too frightened to do.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 07:35
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The one this that always comes up on ELP threads (there have been many) is whether they started to fall away from BSS onwards. It's interesting (to me anyway) that they were getting quite distracted by setting up the new record label (Manticore) and so it would make sense if commercial considerations were overtaking them at the time. My own feeling on the matter is that BSS is their best and most coherent work excepting that Benny The Bouncer really doesn't belong on that album (they could have included either the track called Brain Salad Surgery or When The Apple Blossom Blooms ... which are much better) but never mind. Without that you still some the most mind blowingly complex and technically brilliant symh prog ever made. The production does fall under being too compressed perhaps but they were attempting to create a more panoramic sound in keeping with their live shows of the time. It has been terribly re mastered over the years though which is a real shame (stick with the Sony release as that's the best imo and avoid the horrible 'deluxe reissues) and that is one of the problems. Still one of the most original prog releases and my favourite album for 40 years!

Overall ELP were just one of those bands that refused to stick to the plan. Too many big egos in the band and outside record company interference in the end put paid to them. Black Moon was a decent comeback but as said before Emerson (and Palmer) were having massive physical issues with their hands and that fluency they were so famed for never returned.

In the end they are best remembered as a flamboyant band who recorded some interesting and important albums. They tried things that other musicians wanted to do but were either too shy or too frightened to do.

Have to agree with pretty much all of this. It was interesting to hear promoter Harvey Goldsmith (whose a fan) describe ELP as being a band who were deeply unpopular within the industry at the height of their success. He seemed to imply that being globally successful while playing very challenging and complex music and refusing to play the rock'n'roll game of releasing exactly the same album every 2 years or so, flew in the face of any conventional marketing strategy wisdom. It seems most of the record executives really didn't have a clue how to sell ELP as a rawk brand. In addition, Works Volume 1 was a step too far for a predominately white, male rock demographic to negotiate without the fanbase becoming divisively polarized as a result. For me, Emerson had outgrown Rock by circa 1980 and should have embarked on a career as a classical composer and performer of his own work. BTW Benny the Bouncer is sublime and most people appraise it as boogie woogie or stride, but it ain't (it's not even in shuffle time): it's a slice of London cockney music hall with one of the most thrilling piano solos in the history of popular music full stop. (The clue is in the accent Lake adopts for the vocal innit?)Wink
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 14:30

agreed but also most of Le Orme's back catalogue is very ELP like as well.

Yeah, my list was quite small and Japan-centric. But we've got pages and pages to go! LOL
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 15:50

The recent Keith Emerson tribute in Birmingham (UK) absolutely needed him. He played the solo on Abaddon's Bolero with the orchestra as well as saying some very nice things about Keith.
Rachael Flowers was also absolutely amazing at this concert. Surprised she hasn't been mentioned on this thread (unless I missed it skimming through the comments).

Oh wow, that sounds awesome. 
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2017 at 00:31
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Have to agree with pretty much all of this. It was interesting to hear promoter Harvey Goldsmith (whose a fan) describe ELP as being a band who were deeply unpopular within the industry at the height of their success. He seemed to imply that being globally successful while playing very challenging and complex music and refusing to play the rock'n'roll game of releasing exactly the same album every 2 years or so, flew in the face of any conventional marketing strategy wisdom. It seems most of the record executives really didn't have a clue how to sell ELP as a rawk brand. In addition, Works Volume 1 was a step too far for a predominately white, male rock demographic to negotiate without the fanbase becoming divisively polarized as a result. For me, Emerson had outgrown Rock by circa 1980 and should have embarked on a career as a classical composer and performer of his own work. BTW Benny the Bouncer is sublime and most people appraise it as boogie woogie or stride, but it ain't (it's not even in shuffle time): it's a slice of London cockney music hall with one of the most thrilling piano solos in the history of popular music full stop. (The clue is in the accent Lake adopts for the vocal innit?)Wink

Have you checked out Emerson's film soundtrack albums such as Nighthawks and Inferno? They are actually very good and he had a nice little collaboration with the conductor Godfrey Salmon going at the time although it didn't last presumably as the temptation to reform ELP became too great to ignore.
Yep Greg doing his best Dick Van Dyke impression was what every ELP fan craved for. KE9 made up for it though.LOL

Edited by richardh - August 14 2017 at 00:31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>