Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Emerson, Lake & Palmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ExittheLemming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 18:35
It's interesting to observe how Works Vol 1 merely highlighted the fissures and flaws that existed as early as the band's s/t debut i.e. ELP had come full circle back to a point where portions of albums had to be given over to appease the individual members e.g. For all intents and purposes, The Three Fates is solo Emerson, Lucky Man is solo Lake (the drums and iconic Moog were added after the track was completed) and Tank was written by Keith for Carl and includes a lengthy drum solo. The first three sides of Works Vol 1 mirror this phenomenon perfectly, albeit on a much larger scale. I adore Keith's Piano Concerto but it doesn't belong anywhere near a progressive rock album or even an ELP album. By 1977 ELP clearly didn't work as a collaborative unit. That said, for me the s/t debut is routinely hyped and Works Vol 1 routinely undervalued.

Edited by ExittheLemming - Yesterday at 20:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic