Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEmerson, Lake & Palmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2017 at 18:47
Originally posted by lostrom lostrom wrote:

I'm probably the only one thinking Works Volume 2 is their second best album (the debut being their best).

Yeah I don't agree with any of that lol, but I appreciate your opinion. I haven't listened to Volume 2 in forever(and only once, maybe twice in my whole life). So I'll definitely need to revisit it.. could be something I've been overlooking. 

I love their debut album, just isn't my very favorite of theirs. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2017 at 18:55
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Now that's the kind of PROG that I like! 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 01:10
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

I'm probably the only one thinking Works Volume 2 is their second best album (the debut being their best).

Yeah I don't agree with any of that lol, but I appreciate your opinion. I haven't listened to Volume 2 in forever(and only once, maybe twice in my whole life). So I'll definitely need to revisit it.. could be something I've been overlooking. 

Years ago, I reviewed Works Vol 2 with 2 stars. Now, I'd almost bump it to a 4.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 11:33

Jaime wails!

(Did you ever pick up that live CD by Gerard?)
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 20:20
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Years ago, I reviewed Works Vol 2 with 2 stars. Now, I'd almost bump it to a 4.

Sounds like I really should give it another shot then. Must be one of those albums that grows on you. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 20:38

Jaime wails!

I haven't. I've been buying too much music as it is. A few months ago I bought all of the first 7 studio albums by Caravan plus Paradise Filter. Then I bought all of the first 7 studio albums by Gentle Giant(minus Three Friends). Then I bought the first 4 studio albums by Marillion. And now I'm thinking about buying some stuff by Barclay James Harvest. Oh, and also sometime around when I was buying the Caravan stuff I bought the first 3 studio albums by Soft Machine plus Bundles. I listen to a lot of music on youtube, and then if I really like the artist I will buy a bunch of stuff from them. I did really like that Japanese Wakeman guy and the 3 Japanese Women band. Eventually I'll probably get something from one or both of them. If only I had unlimited money.. then I could buy every album from every prog band ever! 
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 20:38
"Works Vol II" is an excellent record, a hidden gem in the ELP discog.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 20:42
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

"Works Vol II" is an excellent record, a hidden gem in the ELP discog.

Ok, now I'll have to give it another listen or two, thanks! 

Edit: Listening right now

Edited by YESESIS - August 30 2017 at 20:44
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 21:13
^ Its a little bit inconsistent, its mostly made up of unrelated discarded tracks, but many of these tracks were not discarded because of their lack of quality, they were mostly discarded because they didn't fit with the album they were working on at the time. Its an eclectic album to say the least, but there is some great material in there, much of it quite different from what they are known for.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 21:14
^ It's a very 'jazzy' record actually. Some albums take time for the listener to catch up to. Took me years to really appreciate it.
I believe that once when Palmer was doing a solo tour in recent-ish times, he did, maybe Bullfrog. And he a announced that he'll be doing a number off Works Vol 2 - and there won't be any refunds for those that bought the album back in the day. Something along those lines.

Edited by Tom Ozric - August 30 2017 at 21:18
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2017 at 21:17
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

^ Its a little bit inconsistent, its mostly made up of unrelated discarded tracks, but many of these tracks were not discarded because of their lack of quality, they were mostly discarded because they didn't fit with the album they were working on at the time. Its an eclectic album to say the least, but there is some great material in there, much of it quite different from what they are known for.

Thanks for the info. Still listening.. so far it started off strong but now getting kinda stupid lol. Hate to say that about one of my very favorite bands. Hope it gets better again soon.

Edit: It just finished.. yeah VERY mixed bag. Started off really good but then.. umm yeah it's ELP so I'll rate it as "good" but yeah, no man. 

Edited by YESESIS - August 30 2017 at 21:34
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 11:21

Jaime wails!

I haven't. I've been buying too much music as it is. A few months ago I bought all of the first 7 studio albums by Caravan plus Paradise Filter. Then I bought all of the first 7 studio albums by Gentle Giant(minus Three Friends). Then I bought the first 4 studio albums by Marillion. And now I'm thinking about buying some stuff by Barclay James Harvest. Oh, and also sometime around when I was buying the Caravan stuff I bought the first 3 studio albums by Soft Machine plus Bundles. I listen to a lot of music on youtube, and then if I really like the artist I will buy a bunch of stuff from them. I did really like that Japanese Wakeman guy and the 3 Japanese Women band. Eventually I'll probably get something from one or both of them. If only I had unlimited money.. then I could buy every album from every prog band ever! 

The deal on that Gerard disc is too good to pass up (even if it's the French edition)! (I'm not the seller, btw.)

The thing with Japanese bands is that if they're not released concurrently on Musea or another European label, they're mighty pricey.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 15:19

I prefer the version of "Romeo and Juliet" that was retitled "Montagues and Capulets," on Keith's Changing States (the solo CD, not the instrumental on Black Moon).

a lot of people don't realise that Keith recorded that album 3 years before the ELP versions

I agree . The drums are more dynamic .I realise that is sacrilegious to say but Palmer really was not the same drummer when he went for a two bass drum kit and adopted a more straight forward style. Black Moon is okay though and worth a 3 star rating in PA terms. I did very much enjoy seeing them on tour at that time. It was their best effort at the time.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 16:00
^The Black Moon concert was awesome!
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2017 at 19:20

Jaime wails!

The deal on that Gerard disc is too good to pass up (even if it's the French edition)! (I'm not the seller, btw.)

The thing with Japanese bands is that if they're not released concurrently on Musea or another European label, they're mighty pricey.

Gerard wasn't my favorite of the stuff you posted though. At some point I might get something by them, but right now I'm really into Barclay James Harvest. I kind of cycle through different obsessions lol(Caravan was a big one). Anyway thanks again for the videos and turning me onto some cool Japanese stuff. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2017 at 09:21
You did like that one clip I posted a lot. Wink

It's all good, it's just that that live album's a beast!
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 16:26
Just saw Carl Palmer last night at the Sage in Gateshead with his trio, doing his ELP Legacy tour - and I just couldn't believe the speed, complexity and quality of his drumming - especially during the Curse/Hut of Baba Yaga part of 'Pictures'. About 10 metres from the drum kit in the second row. Unbelievable - He's 67 years old!!! 👍

Without the keyboards of Keith and the vocals of Greg, it's never quite the same - but his bassist and guitarist really do a very good job at filling in the sound and melody lines ( and anyway you are filling in any gaps and singing the lyrics in your head anyway!) Worth checking out if they come near you in the near future - Carl is clearly enjoying revisiting his ELP catalogue and flexing his drumming more than he could do in Asia etc.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 23:17
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Just saw Carl Palmer last night at the Sage in Gateshead with his trio, doing his ELP Legacy tour - and I just couldn't believe the speed, complexity and quality of his drumming - especially during the Curse/Hut of Baba Yaga part of 'Pictures'. About 10 metres from the drum kit in the second row. Unbelievable - He's 67 years old!!! 👍

Without the keyboards of Keith and the vocals of Greg, it's never quite the same - but his bassist and guitarist really do a very good job at filling in the sound and melody lines ( and anyway you are filling in any gaps and singing the lyrics in your head anyway!) Worth checking out if they come near you in the near future - Carl is clearly enjoying revisiting his ELP catalogue and flexing his drumming more than he could do in Asia etc.

Well if any drummer could keep going at a high level at that age it definitely would be him lol. So doesn't really surprise me. And you're a true fan, I don't know if I could sit through a whole ELP show without Keith or Greg. They probably threw in a couple Asia songs even. 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 09:18
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

A friend saw Carl's three piece at the time a few years back at the Roxy in Los Angeles. Beforehand, he asked me to go with him, but for whatever reason I declined the offer. He later told me that he was allowed into the venue about an hour and a half early and took a seat. No sooner had he done that when Palmer strode past him to apparently check the set up of the stage. My friend said he got up and approached Palmer in order to say hello. He said the man graciously shook his hand and then proceeded to spend about 20 minutes chatting about music and such before kindly excusing himself. My friend was starry-eyed when he recounted all of this. I would have been too.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 10:15
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I enjoy Black Moon. I can't get my head around the fact it is dissed by so many.

I like Black Moon too. A solid three star album IMO.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>