Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEmerson, Lake & Palmer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 15:32
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Providence is just a lost case for me anyway.
Surprizingly (non apocalyptic) horror films seem to win over a larger following, than (non apocalyptic) horror music.

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I also like the Emerson, Lake & Powell record a lot.
Some very cool moments there indeed !

My ELP nr 1: ELP live playing Mussorgski
Studio: Jerusalem and Hoedown
I still miss one dozen or two of Bach organ pieces played in ELP fashion
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 15:38
btw Carl Palmer is playing at the New Day Festival in 2018 that is held near Faversham in Kent. It's a great festival for anyone like me that misses High Voltage. I went this year and saw the likes of BJH , Wishbone Ash and Uriah Heep . Very enjoyable.

https://www.skiddle.com/festivals/a-new-day-festival/lineup.html

Edited by richardh - November 29 2017 at 15:41
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 15:40
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 23:01
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

Just saw Carl Palmer last night at the Sage in Gateshead with his trio, doing his ELP Legacy tour - and I just couldn't believe the speed, complexity and quality of his drumming - especially during the Curse/Hut of Baba Yaga part of 'Pictures'. About 10 metres from the drum kit in the second row. Unbelievable - He's 67 years old!!! 👍

Without the keyboards of Keith and the vocals of Greg, it's never quite the same - but his bassist and guitarist really do a very good job at filling in the sound and melody lines ( and anyway you are filling in any gaps and singing the lyrics in your head anyway!) Worth checking out if they come near you in the near future - Carl is clearly enjoying revisiting his ELP catalogue and flexing his drumming more than he could do in Asia etc.
A friend saw Carl's three piece at the time a few years back at the Roxy in Los Angeles. Beforehand, he asked me to go with him, but for whatever reason I declined the offer. He later told me that he was allowed into the venue about an hour and a half early and took a seat. No sooner had he done that when Palmer strode past him to apparently check the set up of the stage. My friend said he got up and approached Palmer in order to say hello. He said the man graciously shook his hand and then proceeded to spend about 20 minutes chatting about music and such before kindly excusing himself. My friend was starry-eyed when he recounted all of this. I would have been too.

WOW, so your friend actually chatted with The Man(Carl Palmer)! I would certainly go see this deal if I thought I could chat with him also! Oh I'd talk all about Asia and ELP and.. he'd be trying to trying anything to get the heck away from me after a while lol. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2017 at 23:03
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

btw Carl Palmer is playing at the New Day Festival in 2018 that is held near Faversham in Kent. It's a great festival for anyone like me that misses High Voltage. I went this year and saw the likes of BJH , Wishbone Ash and Uriah Heep . Very enjoyable.

https://www.skiddle.com/festivals/a-new-day-festival/lineup.html

Whoa you saw Wishbone Ash(my favorite band), and Barclay James Harvest? Man I am jealous! 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2017 at 04:54
Tygers of Pan Tang.....! it's a long time since I've seen them! - didn't think they were still going!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2017 at 02:00
^ Depressingly we are getting to a point of having to take a roll call of who is still alive and going it seems
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2017 at 19:17
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ Depressingly we are getting to a point of having to take a roll call of who is still alive and going it seems

True. On that note, I'll be seeing Blue Oyster Cult in a few months. First time in over a decade. Buck and Eric are still fronting the band, so as long as that train is rolling, I'm there. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011