Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Night of the Prog Festival 13 (July 13-15. 2018)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Night of the Prog Festival 13 (July 13-15. 2018)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 05:32
yes, either for the three days or for a single day.

In some of the past years you could also buy a ticket for the headliner only (who starts playing around 8 pm mostly), but i doubt that Ange is the headliner for Sunday. Guess we will have to wait until the running order is available to know more about it.

R.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 06:15
Thanks for the info Rocko.
But surely Ange has got to be the headliner for Sunday? Or are there names that haven't been revealed yet?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 06:56
Hi Rocko, and thanks for the info
BTW - Is it OK to bring the camper ? Are there suitable parking places in the area ?
(never been in Germany but planning to this summer...)
rocko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 08:45
@Quinino: sure, you can bring your camper.

I'm just quoting from their offical info:
Festival Camping

The Festival camping is located close the festival grounds. There is space for tents as well as campervans (No power and water outlets). Clean toilets and showers are available, a sh*t & shower flatrate can be purchased on site for 11€. Caravans/mobile homes are welcome, just by a normal Festival Camping Ticket.

AAA Camping

The AAA Camping Tickets allows you to stay on the offical Loreley campground which includes the use of the permanently installed showers and bathrooms. For caravans a limited amount of power outlets is available (First come, first served, max. 2 KW.). Caravans/mobile homes are welcome. You need one ticket per person.

@Guldbamsen: i really don't know, but according to the last official pic i've seen i just guess by the different sizes of the font that the Hogarth/IsildursBane/Barbieri combo is the headliner.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2018 at 08:59
Ahh that makes sense (even if it doesn't ) Thanks for the clarification anyway
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2018 at 08:21
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Ahh nuts. I would've loved to go see Ange live, but I gather tickets either are for the full festival or individual days?

I wish I could be there, and would love to help put together/design the light show for ANGE and their material ... and maybe add some theater to it, since their early material was all "theatrical", at least on a Brechtian way, which I think would go fine today, if done well, and defined strongly.

I just don't know that any band these days, would want to spend time rehearsing these things ... rock music has gotten too lazy for that sort of thing to improve their presentation.

I would like, at the very least, to improve on some really bad videos on the tube that ANGE has that do not show their material and work on stage as being that good, compared to their albums. In the albums, at least in the first 6 or 7 or 8 of them, it is all FULL THROTTLE theater. 

Can that be translated to stage? 

YES!

But you need a director to help you, since the band is not capable of seeing things from the outside, which is the part that rock music is usually missing ... it's like the music has no 3rd dimension, and you are supposed to imagine it from the lyrics!

Let me try some Pavlov's Dog's stuff to see if it works! 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rocko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2018 at 06:01
another announcement for saturday:

SMALLTAPE confirmed for Saturday, 14th July 2018

Please welcome for the first time on the rock, from Germany: SMALLTAPE

SMALLTAPE are promising progressive newcomers from Berlin, Germany. It is a project by musician and sound designer Philipp Nespital. In 2011 his first album "Circles" was released. After producing a piece for orchestra and band called “One life“ in 2014, he started to work on his second album “The Ocean“ which was released in 2017.

"The Ocean" received great reviews in German Prog magazines and websites (i.e. Eclipsed Magazine), comparing his work with Pink Floyd or Steven Wilson.

To enrich his solo project in the studio, Philipp is working with different guest musicians, such as Otis Sandsjö (tenor saxophone/Lucia Cadotsch Trio), Christopher Zitterbart (guitars/Mt. Amber) or Stephan Pankow (guitars/Toxic Smile)

SMALLTAPE will present their new album on the Loreley

NIGHT OF THE PROG is proud to welcome SMALLTAPE on stage on the Loreley on Saturday, 14th July 2018.

rocko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 09:26
and another one for saturday ...

WOBBLER confirmed for Saturday, 14th July 2018

Please welcome for the first time on the rock, from Norway: Wobbler

WOBBLER is by many considered to be Norway's leading symphonic progressive rock band, and have released 4 albums of symphonic prog with a distinct vintage vibe, since they were formed in the small Norwegian town of Hønefoss in 1999. They are known for their love for analog equipment and the overall estethics of the 60's and 70's.

The bands current lineup features current and former members of TUSMØRKE, WHITE WILLOW, THE CHRONICLES OF FATHER ROBIN, LUKAS KASHA, SPIRITS OF THE DEAD, AIRBAG and IN LINGUA MORTUA. With Lars Fredrik Frøislie on keyboards and backing vocals, Kristian Karl Hultgren on bass, bass clarinet and bass pedals, Martin Nordrum Kneppen on drums, percussion and recorder, Andreas Wettergreen Strømman Prestmo on vocals, guitar, glockenspiel and percussion and Geir Marius Bergom Halleland on lead guitar and backing vocals, the band can avail itself of a considerable array of instruments that have a huge, and very interesting impact, on the overall sound.

Their last album, "From Silence to Somewhere", offers up a sound that is enigmatic, multi-flavoured and adventurous with the use of copious amounts of Mellotron, Moog, Hammond, Chamberlin and other classical analogue keyboards, and of course the renowned Rickenbacker bass. The guitar riffs go from poignant to edgy. Melancholy harmonies combine with powerful crescendos and high-energy, spinet-driven passages, flavoured with a touch of Flamenco, italian recitals and Renaissance music to produce an album comprising four epic tracks that explore the idea of metamorphosis and alchemy. It is a natural continiuation from WOBBLER's previous albums, but with a darker, more introspective edge. The album has been reviewed in over 20 different countries around the world since its release in October 2017.

NIGHT OF THE PROG is proud to welcome WOBBLER on stage on the Loreley on Saturday, 14th July 2018.

rocko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2018 at 09:29
hmm, does anyone know why i can't edit the first post in the thread? Just get an "Only members with sufficient permission can access this page." after clicking on the captcha ...

Posting a reply works though ...
rocko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2018 at 05:59
some more announcements ...

LONG DISTANCE CALLING confirmed for Saturday, 14th July 2018

Please welcome for the second time on the rock, from Germany: Long Distance Calling!

LONG DISTANCE CALLING is a German prog band which was formed in Münster in 2006. Current band members are David Jordan (guitars), Florian Füntmann (guitars), Jan Hoffmann (Bass) and Janosch Rathmer (Drums).

The band has recorded mainly longer instrumental pieces over the years and they have released six albums and two EPs to date. Some feaure guest musicians and also guest vocalists.

Their latest album "Boundless" was released earlier this year through Inside Out Music. In contains eight instrumental tracks between 5 and 9 minutes in duration.

The album received great feedback from both, fans and music press. Some reviews conclude that "Boundless" is both, their most exciting and their best album to date.

NIGHT OF THE PROG is proud to welcome LONG DISTANCE CALLING on stage on the Loreley on Saturday, 14th July 2018.

And - by the way: That's it, the Saturday is now complete!
One more band to come for sunday!

------------------

DEAFENING OPERA confirmed for Friday, 13th July 2018

Please welcome for the first time on the rock, from Germany: Deafening Opera!

DEAFENING OPERA is a German band which was formed in Munich in 2006 by lead singer Adrian Daleore, guitarists Moritz Kunkel and Thomas Moser, and bassist Christian Eckstein, and joined by Konrad Gonschorek on drums and Tilman Espert on the keyboards, who was replaced by Gérald Marie in 2009.

Their first album "Synesteria" was released in 2009.
The style of this Munich group passed from metal to progressive rock with the release of the EP "25.000 Miles" (2011). This EP serves as the basis for the album "Blueprint" released in July 2013.

The new 70-minute concept album "Let Silence Fall" (2018) surpasses its predecessors not only in sheer length but also in complexity and depth. The vintage sound elements of the previous albums make way for a more modern sound that corresponds well with the detail-rich compositions. "Let Silence Fall" presents itself with denser song structures with an ear for detail, a remarkable range of soundscapes and a dramaturgy fit for the silver screen, from the first second to the last. The music and the text are tightly intertwinded. References, quotes and motivic alienations characterize the extensive album and create a delicate relationship between each song. Creative, artistic ambition and the immanent claim of a progressive concept album even leave room for some musical light-heartedness.

With widely diverse experimental styles that are technically rigorous, this multicultural ensemble seems to have found the right balance to satisfy a wider audience, appealing to those new to the genre as well as to the musically sophisticated.

NIGHT OF THE PROG is proud to welcome DEAFENING OPERA on stage on the Loreley on Friday, 13th July 2018.

And - by the way: That's it, the friday is now complete!

zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2018 at 11:28
OOh I want to go! Looks like a great lineup, and I've been looking for a good excuse to see more of Europe.

But, if I'm looking at the map right, it seems the venue (Loreley) is not in a city, or even very close to one.

So, I'm wondering whats the best way to get there if I fly into Germany (whichever city--perhaps Frankfurt). Are there any bus or other transport services to the venue?

Or, if there's anyone going who can offer a ride (from wherever) I'd be willing to help with gas costs.  Just send me a personal message.   Thanks!
Z
rocko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2018 at 04:30
@Zwordster: this year they offer a Hotel&Shuttle package. Just quoting from their website:

Hotel & Shuttle Package

For the first time we are happy to offer you a hotel and bus package. The package includes:

• Airport transfer
  • Overnight stay @ the NH Hotel Raunheim/Mörfelden close to the Frankfurt Airport
  • Single or Double Room
  • Bus Shuttle to and from the festival area (Schedule tba)

More infos and a link to book it can be found here:  http://www.nightoftheprogfestival.com/en/camping_en/

Hope that helps
R.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 10:29
Thanks for the info.  Sounds like they're offering a daily shuttle for hotel stay in Frankfurt. I'd much rather camp.  May just don a backpack and hike/hitchhike up to the festival.
Z
rocko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 03:56

last band announcement ... lineup is complete now. Running order has to be confirmed. 

And as i have seen them last monday live already, it was a great gig, The Visitor indeed complete and some of the new songs from their new album are really good.

ARENA confirmed for Sunday, 15th July 2018

Please welcome for the second time on the rock, from the UK: Arena!

Mick Pointer's Band ARENA will perform at Night Of The Prog Festival on Sunday, 15th July. The band will play their most famous album "The Visitor" in its entirety. Additional songs and surprises from other albums will complete their set.

Edited by rocko - May 15 2018 at 04:07
rocko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 04:12
Originally posted by zwordser zwordser wrote:

Thanks for the info.  Sounds like they're offering a daily shuttle for hotel stay in Frankfurt. I'd much rather camp.  May just don a backpack and hike/hitchhike up to the festival.

If you wanna camp, there is a camping area quite near the venue. You can buy a ticket for three days including shower and toilets. More informations are here:

https://www.wiv-ticket-shop.com/en/night-of-the-prog-festival-xiii/

Best
R.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 08:59
thanks.  From another server, it looks like there's a national park nearby, and a few campgrounds.
Z
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2018 at 10:06
The site of the festival is worth a visit alone:

Some advice:

The stage is rather high above the River Rhine  and if you are walking you have to consider
is rather a very steep way up.

Take care on which side of the river you will stay overnight, as the only way to cross the river
nearby is by ferry (which doesn't ship all night).

They usually don't like backpacks on the festival site, so better leave them where you stay.

There is a shuttle service from St. Goarshausen (note the similar named St. Goar is directly on the other
side of the Rhine) and a regular Bus line (until 7 PM is think).

The parking lot has space for 10K of cars, so there would be no trouble parking directly at the site.

Frankfurt airport is roughly a 100 KM away from the site, and you would need 1,5 hours at least
to get there by car.

Consider the only town nearby St. Goarshausen has only a population of 1,300 so don't expect
trains between Frankfurt and St. Goarshausen to be direct or driving all the time.

Edited by TheH - May 21 2018 at 10:34
rocko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2018 at 04:45
 *** Unfortunately, Tiger Moth Tales had to cancel their performance at this year's festival. ***

But we have something else:

Please welcome from the USA: CASEY MCPHERSON!

Casey McPherson will fill the vacant slot on Sunday, 15th July with his solo performance. Casey is best known for his work with Flying Colors and Alpha Rev, but he is also involved in new supergroup The Sea Within (with whom he will perform on Saturday!).

His latest project is simply called PHERSON and a new album will come out this fall. Casey will play a solo show on the rock. He will perform some of his favorite tracks, including some classics from rock history, but also Flying Colors favorites. Expect to see looping, audience participation, and great story telling in these emotional unique arrangements of songs you love.

NIGHT OF THE PROG is proud to welcome CASEY MCPHERSON on stage on the Loreley on Sunday, 15th July 2018.
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zwordser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2018 at 12:15
Originally posted by rocko rocko wrote:

no, it doesn't sell out, as the venue has room for around 15.000-16.000 people (not sure about the correct number, as the complete area around is reconstructed at the moment).

So you can even order your ticket online one week before the festival starts (depending where you live and how long the mail needs) or you can even buy tickets at the counter at the festival.

Is it still looking like it won't see out?  I'm planning on going, but was just going to try to get ticket at the event.

Also, it seems camping is just first-come, first serve and doesn't have a reservation system (?  as far as I can tell). 
Z
rocko View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2018 at 05:32
Updated the first post with the final lineup, playing order and starting times.

zwordser, i've sent you an PM about the tickets.

Thanks
R.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>