Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed1978: Camel Breathless vs. Magma Attahk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which of these albums do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [56.52%]
20 [43.48%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 13:08
Glad to see this one is quite close, and thanks for all the replies.

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Anything Magma over anything Camel every day. Except perhaps if it was Merci vs Mirage.

Mirage is a great album, and if I put it up against Merci I don't think many Magma fans would vote for the Magma. I like Merci, at least side two, but not as much as Mirage. I love the last two tracks on Merci. "Eliphas Levi" iss de hundin (anyone here who does not know what that means does not really know Magma).   

While I'm sure that Mirage would decimate Merci, I think that if I were to do a poll of Magma's most popular album vs. Camel's least popular, Camel would hold its own in terms of votes (might even win) A lot of people do vote for band rather than the particular album in such polls, and there are many people who just don't like Magma ... period, or have already decided that they don't like Magma period despite lack of knowledge and wouldn't be willing to try more Magma. SO irregardless of which Magma album or track one presents, some people would not want to give it the time of day.

I'm kind of tempted to do MDK vs. The Single Factor as a part of a thought experiment, but I won't. I used to do lots of thought experiment type polls to test certain behavioral hypotheses, but this poll is not one of them.

By the way, I was originally going to post the following two tracks for people to become a little acquainted with both albums -- both albums are available in full on youtube, but I don't like to post full albums here. Actually, that's dishonest, I do like to embed full albums here, but it is ethically suspect, and as a collab I should make some effort to be a good example and not get the site in trouble. Not that it needs my help to get in trouble...)

And regarding an earlier comment, I love "Maahnt". It may be my most listened to track off Attahk.   My kids were always asking for me to play it because they loved the belches (in my house we call it the burping song). I considered that as my sample too, as well as the first track, but I thought Maahnt might be a bit too much for some.

I don't want to slow down webpage loading with too many vids, but for those looking for a belchingly good time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG_LCZGL2JE
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 14:02
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Glad to see this one is quite close, and thanks for all the replies.

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Anything Magma over anything Camel every day. Except perhaps if it was Merci vs Mirage.

Mirage is a great album, and if I put it up against Merci I don't think many Magma fans would vote for the Magma. I like Merci, at least side two, but not as much as Mirage. I love the last two tracks on Merci. "Eliphas Levi" iss de hundin (anyone here who does not know what that means does not really know Magma).   

While I'm sure that Mirage would decimate Merci, I think that if I were to do a poll of Magma's most popular album vs. Camel's least popular, Camel would hold its own in terms of votes (might even win) A lot of people do vote for band rather than the particular album in such polls, and there are many people who just don't like Magma ... period, or have already decided that they don't like Magma period despite lack of knowledge and wouldn't be willing to try more Magma. SO irregardless of which Magma album or track one presents, some people would not want to give it the time of day.

I'm kind of tempted to do MDK vs. The Single Factor as a part of a thought experiment, but I won't. I used to do lots of thought experiment type polls to test certain behavioral hypotheses, but this poll is not one of them.

By the way, I was originally going to post the following two tracks for people to become a little acquainted with both albums -- both albums are available in full on youtube, but I don't like to post full albums here. Actually, that's dishonest, I do like to embed full albums here, but it is ethically suspect, and as a collab I should make some effort to be a good example and not get the site in trouble. Not that it needs my help to get in trouble...)

And regarding an earlier comment, I love "Maahnt". It may be my most listened to track off Attahk.   My kids were always asking for me to play it because they loved the belches (in my house we call it the burping song). I considered that as my sample too, as well as the first track, but I thought Maahnt might be a bit too much for some.

I don't want to slow down webpage loading with too many vids, but for those looking for a belchingly good time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG_LCZGL2JE

For more good clean family entertainment.
Try Caravan's 'Wendy wants another 6inch mole',.There's a farting song for you.LOL
Shake & bake.
cemego View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 16:24
Breathless and Rain Dances is my favorite era of Camel (probably because of Richard Sinclair).  Camel gets my vote! 
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 17:27
Camel. I am not a Magma fan.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 17:33
Breathless was a pretty good album with, as someone said earlier, a lot of fresh ideas, whether you liked them or not.  Not a Magma fan at all
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 18:03

Richard Sinclair is great, I love Caravan and Hatfield and the North, but this Camel album is not one of the best, imo, to feature him by quite a long way. He makes it enjoyable, though. I don't think I'd like that song I posted in this topic if it were instead of him, say, pretty much any death metal growler. Actually, that might be cool. Probably some good death metal meets disco out there, maybe.... Perhaps, perhaps not.

I love Attahk. It's one of my favourite Magma albums, and it still sounds fresh to my ears these days. Most people fawn all over MDK, but I like the jazziness of the first two and the fun of Attahk. I like every Magma studio album, even the much reviled Merci, and I love lots of their live albums.
It's not the easiest band for most to get into.... I think a lot of people start in the wrong place, and what place to start depends on what someone is into. For me it was "Iss Lansei Doia" off the second album, but then I liked brassy jazz and very quirky music. It filled with joy.

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to try them and see if I can get into it. I did listen to some VdGG already. I listened to 'The least we can do..' and it was pleasant but nothing really grabbed me. But I did like the second song on 'Pawn Hearts' - the organ and whatever that distortion is was kind of kick ass. So Idk, I think I might be able to get into it..
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 18:06
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

Breathless and Rain Dances is my favorite era of Camel (probably because of Richard Sinclair).  Camel gets my vote! 

Right on! My main man R. Sinclair.. Now I'm really tempted to vote for Camel here(just on account of him). But no, I.. I shouldn't.. not without listening to some more Magma first. Wouldn't be right. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 18:21
Kenneth and Wanorak, I'm hardly surprised that neither of you are Magma fans as the music is quite unconventional, and both of your tastes, which have a lot of similarities, tend to run to the melodic and more mainstream side (I wonder if thats the same for movies and TV?). Zeuhl probably runs almost as cold in you blood as Neo-Prog runs in mine -- I'm generally not into Symph either. I do love folk, but mostly acid folk (not so into stuff like Strawbs and Mostly Autumn is for me, well, well let's just say that I'm not a fan). Vive la difference. I don't think Magma appeals to many people whose tastes veer towards AOR/ melodic rock, poppy acts, and mainstream Symphonic Prog. Of course we share the love of some music too. It's very quirky music, and appeals mostly to the RIO/Avant and more experimental music crowd, although quite a few symph fans like MDK and K.A. I much prefer Kobaia as I am into jazz.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 18:34
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Richard Sinclair is great, I love Caravan and Hatfield and the North, but this Camel album is not one of the best, imo, to feature him by quite a long way. He makes it enjoyable, though. I don't think I'd like that song I posted in this topic if it were instead of him, say, pretty much any death metal growler. Actually, that might be cool. Probably some good death metal meets disco out there, maybe.... Perhaps, perhaps not.

I love Attahk. It's one of my favourite Magma albums, and it still sounds fresh to my ears these days. Most people fawn all over MDK, but I like the jazziness of the first two and the fun of Attahk. I like every Magma studio album, even the much reviled Merci, and I love lots of their live albums.
It's not the easiest band for most to get into.... I think a lot of people start in the wrong place, and what place to start depends on what someone is into. For me it was "Iss Lansei Doia" off the second album, but then I liked brassy jazz and very quirky music. It filled with joy.

Hmm, thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to try them and see if I can get into it. I did listen to some VdGG already. I listened to 'The least we can do..' and it was pleasant but nothing really grabbed me. But I did like the second song on 'Pawn Hearts' - the organ and whatever that distortion is was kind of kick ass. So Idk, I think I might be able to get into it..

Well the second song on Pawn Hearts is the one that opened up VdGG for me. The other was House With No Door, as I found it beautiful, but my tastes are not so rooted in rock as most people here. I was a classical music lover first, then later jazz.... Not that that means anything, I know others who were the same with classical music, but their favourite Prog music is Prog Metal (I can't take metal in more than small doses other than some classic heavy metal). My original tendency was to favour more pastoral Prog, but as I continued looking into stuff here, I really got into the more experimental and dissonant music.   Nowadays I like a balance of pretty, and pretty ugly music often. ;) When it comes to music it's always best to follow our own heart and your path, I think, which isn't to say that recommendations can't be useful, but they tend to be most useful when they align with your current tastes. Umm, why I am I going pseudo-philosophical here? Lack of sleep probably. The less I sleep the more I say.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 18:46

Well the second song on Pawn Hearts is the one that opened up VdGG for me. The other was House With No Door, as I found it beautiful, but my tastes are not so rooted in rock as most people here. I was a classical music lover first, then later jazz.... Not that that means anything, I know others who were the same with classical music, but their favourite Prog music is Prog Metal (I can't take metal in more than small doses other than some classic heavy metal). My original tendency was to favour more pastoral Prog, but as I continued looking into stuff here, I really got into the more experimental and dissonant music.   Nowadays I like a balance of pretty, and pretty ugly music often. ;) When it comes to music it's always best to follow our own heart and your path, I think, which isn't to say that recommendations can't be useful, but they tend to be most useful when they align with your current tastes. Umm, why I am I going pseudo-philosophical here? Lack of sleep probably. The less I sleep the more I say.

Get some sleep bud, lack of sleep's not good for anything. Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll check out that House With No Door deal and see if I can get into it. 
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2017 at 01:02
Camel - Breathless for sure
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2017 at 02:07
Originally posted by cemego cemego wrote:

For me, Camel has never created a dud from the marvellous debut, through to Moonmadness. Then, Rain Dances and Breathless featured one of my all-time favourite bassists in Rich S. Two pretty good albums happened.
Magma are (generally) impeccable. Merci is still the weakest album they've ever done (3 stars - it does have Eliphas Levi ). Attahk injected some gospel stylings and Vander really exploited his, rather, shall we say, uncompromising style of singing here. It's a great album, though one of the most difficult for me to 'connect' with.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2017 at 10:22
Camel for me.....always liked their albums. The Magma sounds like an outtake from a Supersister album with crazy vocals.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 03:32
I really like Attahk.  Behind MDK and KA. and about equal with Kohntarkosz.

Breathless (and Rain Dances as well) are second tier Camel albums
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 07:46
Magma - Attakh. Really disappointed with Breathless...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 11:06
I'm a bit surprised how many people like Magma here......I have yet to hear an album by them that I think rings my bell.
All you Magma fans.....what am I missing...? Which is the album by them that I should be listening to?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2017 at 02:20
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I'm a bit surprised how many people like Magma here......I have yet to hear an album by them that I think rings my bell.
All you Magma fans.....what am I missing...? Which is the album by them that I should be listening to?

The usual recommendation is the Live album.

Fwiw, I prefer Magma singing in Kobaian to English. Unlike opera...
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2017 at 03:13
^They never connected with me until I saw them live. Then I finally got it.
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2017 at 03:19
Camel's music always puts me in a good state of mind and makes me feel happy. Breathless is not their best album but it's still very refreshing and enjoyable to listen to. Magma I do have some of their albums but I find it simply does not connect with me very well. Listened to an album the other day and felt on edge by the time it had finished. 
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2017 at 05:12
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Given your liking of 72-74 King Crimson, I'd suggest Kohntarkosz would be worth a couple of spins.

Having said that, lots of people just don't dig Magma and never will. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Mascodagama - August 06 2017 at 05:12
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>