Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed1978: Camel Breathless vs. Magma Attahk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which of these albums do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [56.52%]
20 [43.48%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2017 at 13:43
Yeah I tried to listen to this "MDK" album that people fawn all over, and I.. *quickly looks around to make sure none of the 'higher ups' are listening* shhh didn't like it shhh. But I will keep trying.. this is one obstacle that I'm determined to overcome one way the other. 

I was told a while back by this mysterious, shadowy figure on here(who I've never seen before or since) that the next rung after Magma will be "Kid A" by Radiohead! But one thing at a time though. Baby steps..  
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2017 at 18:03
Comparing Camel to Magma is like comparing Edison to Tesla.  Compared to Tesla, Edison was still in grade school.

I do appreciate Camel, but they’re just not in the same league as Magma.

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2017 at 18:13
It comes to us all
It's as soft as your pillow...
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2017 at 19:07
Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

Comparing Camel to Magma is like comparing Edison to Tesla.  Compared to Tesla, Edison was still in grade school.

I do appreciate Camel, but they’re just not in the same league as Magma.

Oh now that's what I'm talking about. That was darn good, especially at 5:19 when the lead guitar started to really kick in there with the rest of them. Right on. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 07:23
The lead guitar player seems to be in his own world; as are the rest of them.  It’s plainly visible at the end of his guitar solo which starts around 5:00 and ends around 5:55.  Check out the expression on his face, he’s not just into it, he’s in it!

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 17:31

The lead guitar player seems to be in his own world; as are the rest of them.  It’s plainly visible at the end of his guitar solo which starts around 5:00 and ends around 5:55.  Check out the expression on his face, he’s not just into it, he’s in it!

Oh mercy, that whole thing was good! The part just before the guitar solo, I was feelin that big time.. and then the part after the solo with the women singing(sounded a lot like the stuff I heard on that MDK album). And you're right the guy literally looks like he's in some kind of trace or something during that solo lol. 

Anyway I'm going to have give these guys another shot.. I'm liking the feel and sound of what you're posting from them a lot! 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 17:46
I was jamming out big time to this tune just now..

These guys are suddenly starting to really click for me. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 20:26

That’s only a part of a larger movement called MDK.  I think Magma is just one of those bands that really needs to be seen for full appreciation.  They have about 10 or so videos out of which some are really hard to get.  I have all of them of which I got most from here:

http://www.seventhrecords.com/en/buy/cat-video-dvd-38.html

an excellent one to start with is this one; it includes Nebehr Gudahtt

DVD -MAGMA : Trilogie THEUSZ HAMTAAK

This is the entire MDK movement off the DVD.  The choral arrangements that start at 18:00 always send shivers up my spine.

Note: this is not the entire DVD, it’s only 1/3 of it.  The other 2/3’s are just as good.

Enjoy..

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 20:28

part 2..  this concludes MDK and only 1/3 of the entire DVD, a must have.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 20:14

That’s only a part of a larger movement called MDK.  I think Magma is just one of those bands that really needs to be seen for full appreciation.  They have about 10 or so videos out of which some are really hard to get.  I have all of them of which I got most from here:

http://www.seventhrecords.com/en/buy/cat-video-dvd-38.html

an excellent one to start with is this one; it includes Nebehr Gudahtt

DVD -MAGMA : Trilogie THEUSZ HAMTAAK

This is the entire MDK movement off the DVD.  The choral arrangements that start at 18:00 always send shivers up my spine.

Note: this is not the entire DVD, it’s only 1/3 of it.  The other 2/3’s are just as good.

Enjoy..

Wow, great stuff! Thank you. I liked Part 2 a little better even though it had stuff that we already saw. But Part 1 was really good as well and I liked the singing of that one brunette women a lot(her voice is beautiful). I'm starting to get into these guys big time now. I was even listening to the Merci album on youtube and digging that. So definitely thank you again for literally getting me to like(love) these guys. In the future if anyone asks who really turned me on to Magma, I will have to tell them.. "Well it was this person on the internet actually called 'CosmicVibration.'"

Edited by YESESIS - August 08 2017 at 20:37
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2017 at 19:47
I’m glad you’re enjoying it.. I’ll leave you with one more.  I wanted the last part which is my favorite, K.A. 3, but could not find it.  This one is off their fabulous DVD called Epok IV.

Yea, my first choice for a user name on this site was soundchaser but that was taken.

Edited by CosmicVibration - August 09 2017 at 19:48
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2017 at 01:47
This is one of those polls that should not be - a head to head comparison between two very different, yet excellent, bands.  Both albums are uneven however but I am not going to vote either way...
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2017 at 19:06

I’m glad you’re enjoying it.. I’ll leave you with one more.  I wanted the last part which is my favorite, K.A. 3, but could not find it.  This one is off their fabulous DVD called Epok IV.

Yea, my first choice for a user name on this site was soundchaser but that was taken.

Thanks again. Was getting slightly hypnotized by that, as seems to happen to me with this band. I should start using that MDK album for my meditation. 
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 19:37
Attahk easily, one of my favorites albums from 1978.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 15:22
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

This is one of those polls that should not be - a head to head comparison between two very different, yet excellent, bands.  Both albums are uneven however but I am not going to vote either way...

I like such polls of contrast as it can bring different audiences together (I expect that there are a considerable number of mutual fans of both bands in this case), and people may be exposed to things that may be out of their usual comfort zones. However, as I always like to say, to each his or her own (be it tastes, or perspective...).
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2017 at 16:21
Ive loved Camel since I was about 14 (when I first head Mirage)and have a soft spot for(most) of the breathless lp- I remember a small article at the time in one of the UK mainstream newspapers (could have been the daily Express) with the title 'Ever heard the one about the Camel that ate the Caravan?' saying 'UK's two top 'soft rock' (yuch!!) bands have merged.. but basically Richard Sinclair had persuaded Jan Schellas to provide keyboards for the coming tour as Peter Bardens had left..

Magma.. I have a confession to make. I knew about Magma from the late 70's but somehow, unconsciously, I managed to avoid hearing them until early 2000's when I acquired an original vinyl copy of MDK. It was COMPLETELY different from what I expected and I can only say I had an 'out of body' experience listening to it. And it happens every time I hear it. It energises me in way I cant explain. When I saw them live I was nearly in tears. Not every Magma lp does this; Kohntarkosz for example leaves me fairly cold. The first double is fantastic but is nearer Early Crimson/ VDGG with a more Jazz element. Attahk and, particularly, Udu Wudu are mesmeric though Attahk has weaker moments. Apart from the year in which they were recorded and that they both have weaker elements, these lps are worlds apart but worlds I appreciate equally.

I am starting to notice that compared with many who post on these forums I have a very very wide spectrum of taste and there is actually very little across the progressive spectrum that I cant and don't listen to.. maybe i'm too easily pleased or not discerning enough.. whatever.. Music is such huge and important part of my life and soul that I always try and see the positives in whatever 'sub-genre' it is.

Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2017 at 16:27
'' Apart from the year in which they were recorded and that they both have weaker elements, these lps are worlds apart but worlds I appreciate equally.''

The above quote (by myself) was in relation to 'Breathless' and 'Attahk' not Udu Wudu and Attahk.. sorry I got a bit carried away (embarrassed face- b****y emoticon thing doesnt work again!)

Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2017 at 17:11
Camel by a Zillion years

I can´t stand Magma, i hate the operatic voices, ruined everything!!

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2017 at 11:38
Attahk of course (even if I like Camel)!
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2017 at 13:55
Attahk but both are quite treasured and gets a few yearly spins
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>