Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Music - the whitest music, ever!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2017 at 08:12
^ Only if he meant Dark Side Of The Moon LOL

No one is stopping any other ethnic groups or races from from making prog music and being on this site. It's simply the case that they are not interested in it. There is absoutely nothing wrong with that either. It shows there really are differences between us and that is OK. To be fair i know very few white people who like prog. It's a sign of intelligence to understand complexities in a musical form.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2017 at 18:48
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Once again, the marginalized banjo is forgotten. Now that's musical bias. LOL

Ha!!  I always enjoyed the bit of banjo that Peter Banks used on the intro of this song. 

Edited by cstack3 - August 10 2017 at 18:50
skog_prog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2017 at 23:37
This article is such a joke. Apparently they don't realize a lot of prog bands are heavily jazz influenced. Not to mention the non white bands in prog (Cabezas De Cera, Animals as Leaders (guitarist), Osibisa, and Ruins just as examples)
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2017 at 06:58
Originally posted by skog_prog skog_prog wrote:

This article is such a joke. Apparently they don't realize a lot of prog bands are heavily jazz influenced. Not to mention the non white bands in prog (Cabezas De Cera, Animals as Leaders (guitarist), Osibisa, and Ruins just as examples)

I have been thinking about this article a lot and wondering why it is mostly whites who play prog. The other racial group that is heavily included in prog is the Japanese. My conclusion is that it's not a racial thing at all and is more of a cultural thing in countries that have a relatively high standard of living along with an open society that tolerates such freedoms of expression. If you think about Europe where it all started, there are approximately one trillion prog bands that have come from the UK and approximately ZERO that have come from Albania (corrrect me if i'm wrong, i'd love to get my hands on some Albanian prog!)

Therefore countries that fit these parameters have produced the most prog since it is a type of music that requires higher education systems, stable social issues etc. Therefore white countries like Greece under a dictatorship during the 70s were left out of the scene whereas countries like Argentina and Japan had healthy contributions. There have been scant exceptions of course but for every Myrath from Tunisia is a billion prog bands from the US, UK, France, Japan etc.

Why these countries have all the wealth and freedom is a discertation for another thread Sleepy

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2017 at 10:22
A few random comments:

Jade Warrior was heavily influenced by African rhythms. I groove now and then with Jade Warrior's - Barazinbar. Very groovable. Barazinbar and a few other pieces written by members of Jade Warrior were adapted for and appeared on recordings by Assagai - a small detail, granted, but relevant.

Much of what is said about the complexity of music can also be said about Jazz, a primarily black music form. Jazz, however, was in part influenced by White European cadential music.

The intellectual upper or middle class intellectual whites who got excited about Progressive Rock were largely rebellious college students rebelling against "the man".

I hate repetition in music, and that includes many questionable Prog material like I've All Good People and all around all around all around all around music from Gentle Giant.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2017 at 11:40
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I believe Demon Fuzz was another African prog band although more in a proto-prog fashion in 1970Afreaka! album cover.jpg
More like proto Slipnot! LOL

Edited by SteveG - August 11 2017 at 11:40
aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2017 at 03:14
Prog has a pretty broad definition. I use to tend to view many black musicians as having prog tendencies, but they were not naturally inclined to sound like Genesis or Yes, of course. Or for that matter Krautrock, or italian prog, etc Each subgenre reflects the musical tastes of the people of the country from which it originated. With that in mind, it probably wouldnt surprise me to learn that black musicians play zuehl, for example, as it can be quite jazzy.

Anyway, but jazz fusion to me was always somewhat like a black prog. Miles Davis was the father of it, and his obsession with expanding jazz's horizons lead inevitably to its rise in popularity. Drummer Billy Cobham's quirky time signatures were in the spirit of prog. And even Stevy Wonder went in that direction somewhat IMHO, enough so to impress Rachel Flowers, our current purveyor of all things prog. But regarding the complexity in music thing: Rock purists insist on simplicity, but they dont tend to be black. Blacks on the other hand developed bebop which at the time was hopelessly complex to most jazz musicians of the era. And to this day the percentage of black musicians dedicated to expanding the horizons of their music is probably no smaller than the percentage of whites dedicated to doing it. And occasionally, that means experimenting with scales and harmonies considered to be "white". Interestling, when the ECM label first came out, much of what was offered was a pioneering and difficult to categorize sort of hybrid jazz, often non blues based, that was often performed by both blacks and whites. John Abercrombe teamed up with Jack DeJohnette, for example, but there were many others doing this. I suppose how much of this would be considered prog is debatable, as these were serious jazz musicians. But what I might suggest here I guess is that progressive jazz such as this, while not incuded as a category at progarchives, is perhaps a serious jazz artists version of "prog", and based on some of the zuehl ive listened to here, not totally out of the ballpark for inclusion on this website.

But as far as the article being talked about is concerned, so much dirt has been dug up and flung at prog rock over the years, this merits barely a shrug. The current political climate these days does have me thinking more about racial issues in general though. So the day someone tries to associate "white" prog or any other mostly white music style with white supremicy is the day I might start to get upset. I am thankful that Trump seems mostly to be musically blind. Country music might be vulnerable, but not prog. We are totally inclusive, right? I mean if my ears approve, that is all that matters.

aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2017 at 18:11
I finally read the Atlantic article and it was predictable. Written by an American maybe and away from the east coast we are too infatuated with the blues to be able to appreciate prog. Our ears are not culturalized (is that even a word?) to it. Many Americans love prog, but not nearly as many as do in Europe.

Anyway, as an American prog lover, I long ago learned to accept the fact that others will never graduate to that level of appreciation for a music that only occasionally, I admit, actually fulfills its promise of enrapturing you in aural bliss. But that it does so at all is astonishing considering the magnitude of the challenge facing it. Genius, after all, is rare enough, and then to focus it as classic prog did using revolutionary new tools for creating sound, and adding its own unique harmonic signatures - never again perhaps will I experience what I experienced back in my college days (1972-1976). My roommate had model study habits, but I couldnt keep my paws off the LPs at the time: Nursery Chrimes. Close to the Edge. Trilogy. Wind and Wuthering. Birds of Fire. There were so many milestones along the way. The first time I heard this. The first time I heard that. And then poof, within a year or two, the magic was gone, but not totally gone for ever, thankfully. There is Big Big Train, Radiohead, Bjork, IZZ, Porcupine Tree, Moongarden, Isuldurs Bane, White Willow, The Tea Club, and many more. Not all prog maybe, but all good.

So, but when something touches you so deeply, it can take patience
understanding why others arent able to enjoy what you enjoy. I sum it up like this. I grew up in a classical music environment and played piano from an early age. And I learned that Europe, not America was the source of the music that I played.
Ok, "white" Europe if you will. And then along comes prog and it is mostly coming out of the UK. My ancesters came from Derbyshire Co, not too far from Manchester. So, but in a way, this is all I need to know. My Americaness doesnt extend to my tastes in music at all. This has caused me endless frusturation in life. I wonder what people listen to now up in Derbyshire Co., and if we are really still kin. Very likely we are. I imagine that not only do they listen to a little prog now and then, but non prog from the UK, and other nearby countries as well. Iceland. Norway. Bjork. Uni Wilhelmson. I dont know. Anyway, of course its all "white" music. What do you expect? I guess what Im saying is that if you are based anywhere in the world outside of the UK, the true ancestral home of prog, critizing it is a little like me critizing mararachi music. Its just that it gets judged on the basis of what it isnt (blues based rock), rather than what it is. Why is it ELP gets judged to be one of the "worst ROCK bands ever" when its no more rock to me than it is gospel? C'mon people. I know, not everyone. in the UK liked prog either. In fact, there are class issues here, and I acknowledge that these can be especially strong in the UK. But the never ending war that rock purists wage against other forms of music, particularly classical, it is all irrelevent to me. What IS relevant to me is my ancestral roots as it relates to my tastes in music. You guys in the UK wrote from the heart, and it touched me deeply despite my being 300 years removed from that world. For that, I feel a bond with you that will last forever and wish, half seriously, that I could meet you all on a prog cruise. We can throw the critics of prog overboard. Prog only lasted 30 seconds, duh.. Maybe it lasted only 30 seconds to them. Their ears couldnt comprehend it in that short a period of time, so they just abandoned it forever.

Edited by aldri7 - November 08 2017 at 01:13
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2017 at 22:15
I don't know. Europe actually has a larger population than the US does anyway so if there are more European prog fans that could be part of it. There's probably more people who know about it over there too. That said I do think there are plenty of prog fans in the US. 

As for it being the whitest music ever I would probably have to disagree with that. I would say Country and Western is. I have actually met two black people who like country and western(both women) but I would say that's very unusual. As for prog, it's true, most of the fans are white but I have seen a few non white people at prog shows. I think people who are not white just tend to not know about it(I know they are out there though). Maybe there aren't many prog fans in Africa but I know there are a lot in South America, Mexico and Central America. They aren't counted as white correct? So, in north america yes because black people and latinos probably aren't exposed to it like white people are here. The same reason you don't have many twenty and thirty somethings who are into prog in the US(not counting those who mainly just know DT, PT and Rush). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 22 2017 at 22:25
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2017 at 13:39
Prog music white? Sh#t.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2017 at 13:53
Blues and Jazz have predominantly non white roots. Most world music roots is non white or at least non EU and USA. Of the triumvirate of major influences on 60s/70's rock, only classical is of a predominantly Caucasian background (and this doesn't include Chinese or Indian classical forms, which actually had a huge influence on progressive development of rock music. The more ive actively sought out different progressive music, the more languages, cultures and multitude of skin tones are what i see in music.

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2017 at 14:01
Articles that identify the "whitest" aspects of any artistic subset are the whitest things ever.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 16:13
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Therefore countries that fit these parameters have produced the most prog since it is a type of music that requires higher education systems, stable social issues etc. Therefore white countries like Greece under a dictatorship during the 70s were left out of the scene whereas countries like Argentina and Japan had healthy contributions.

Same as Portugal which had a small handful of 70's prog albums, and the 2 highest ranked PA albums were bands/projects involving Jose Cid ("10,000 Anois Depois Entre Venus e Marte" & "Quarteto 1111").  I find it very sad that during the time Europe was producing the amazing prog that defined the foundation of the genre, that some musicians were not allowed to participate due to government oppression of musical expression.  Think of all the great prog that was not allowed to develop due to disgusting politicians Cry

As far as the original article that is the main focus of this thread...pure rubbish.  The article could have come straight from the pen of Rolling Stone who clearly has a bias against any rock they think is "too white" and thus "inauthentic".  This is also likely why there are so few prog bands in the ridiculous R&RHoF (which many believe is just a tool of Jann Wenner and his prog hating RS cronies).  Tupac, Run DMC & Donna Summer are in their hall of fame but Tull, ELP & King Crimson aren't rock and roll enough?  How about just too white.  Screw this article.
aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 02:41
Anyone I suppose that doesnt use the blues scale in their rock risks having their music labeled as too white. In the 60s, rock could go either way. Both the Beatles and The Beach boys wrote songs using the blues scale as well as songs that used more traditional major or minor scales. But then rock diversified into diffent genres, and some were bluesy almost by requirement, while others, like prog and folk rock, stuck more to major and minor scales (hence, they were perceived as more "white"). Interesting, in the US, bands out of California, like the Laurel Canyon artists (CSNY, mamas and the poppas) were too white for many of the rock purists. Prog met a similar fate. But the battle between the scales didnt end there. Punk was the rock purists answer to non bluesy prog. But also, I always felt a reverse situation took place later in the 90s with grunge and alt rock. Alt rock is a genre that almost seems defined by its lack of use of the blues scale. And was it a rebellion against heavy metal, which arguably overused it ad nauseum?

I wonder how many rock musicians are even conscious of the exact scales they are using when they write. Somehow, I imagine that the Beatles were, because Lennon seemed to know that kind of stuff. A lot of other guys, though, might go "well, should we write a major key song, or a minor key song?". Thats something everyone understands, but then if they choose minor key, they might go on to use the blues scale without really realizing it. Little might they know the consequences, i.e. acceptance or rejection by the rock purists, due to their innocent choice of scales, hee hee :) On the other hand, though, I doubt very much that they care..

Edited by aldri7 - November 08 2017 at 02:53
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 03:15
Possibly the worst article I've ever read on prog rock. Predictable drivel from a music hack with no understanding of music. As for the racial element, I have no interest or comment to make. I couldn't care less.

He is right about one thing though. Knots by Gentle Giant is absolute rubbish.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 09:06
That's funny you say that because I think "knots" is one of their best songs. :D To each their own I guess. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 09:09
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

That's funny you say that because I think "knots" is one of their best songs. :D To each their own I guess. 

Indeed. To me it's unlistenable I'm not a big fan anyway, but it blights what is otherwise a pretty good album IMO.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2017 at 11:03
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Indeed. To me it's unlistenable I'm not a big fan anyway, but it blights what is otherwise a pretty good album IMO.

You might appreciate it more if you'd ever seen them perform Knots live like I did in '76.  4 guys singing accapella counterpoint in front of 20,000 screaming Yes fans.  That took big balls LOL 
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 08:17
Is it wrong that I hate "soul" music? R&B does nothing for me.
I am the whitest person I know and I can argue that Prog is the whitest music ever but that would be silly.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2017 at 08:29
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

You might appreciate it more if you'd ever seen them perform Knots live like I did in '76.  4 guys singing accapella counterpoint in front of 20,000 screaming Yes fans.  That took big balls LOL 

I appreciate that it's very clever and technical, like most of their music. It just kinda makes me cringe. It would take balls perfoming it under those conditions though, I agree.. Did they go down well generally, supporting Yes?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>