23 [37.70%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 13:25
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Now that i think about it, i would love to hear the two bands do an album together. Van Magma Generator would rock!

Vander Graaf Generator

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 14:47
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Now that i think about it, i would love to hear the two bands do an album together. Van Magma Generator would rock!

Vander Graaf Generator

Doh! You win! That is perfect :)
OK, their first album could be called Kobaiabluff Big smile

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 18:32
I don't know if you're supposed to vote in your own poll or not on here.. but I just voted for Magma. To help them out a little since they're way behind, and also because listening to a lot of their stuff I'm starting to get really into it! I wasn't able to that much with Van der Graaf Generator except for the second song on Pawn Hearts. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 19:14

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Vander Graaf Generator

Doh! You win! That is perfect :)
OK, their first album could be called Kobaiabluff Big smile

Or, erm, ah, The Least We Can Do Iss Udu Wudo To Each Other. You win that one.   

-------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I love both and my first inclination is not to choose, but there is more so much more Magma that I have and love. Between, studio and live albums, compilations etc., I think I have more Magma albums than by any other, save Ennio Morricone.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 02:46
Hard to choose. Van der Graaf Generator just over Magma.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 03:26
I'm a sucker for everything PH related, in or out of VDGG (but specially  in)
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 11:07
The Graaf
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 15:54
VDGG, no contest.
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 17:30
I adore VdGG and they've been central to my life since H to He, but Magma invented a new kind of music so I had to vote for them.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 18:31
VDGG
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2017 at 18:38
Wow, this is getting to be a blowout here. Maybe I need to give VdGG another chance.. 

Also I realize now that I should have included a third option like, "I'm too passionate about both bands! I just.. I can't choose. I won't!" This is literally my first poll on here so I'm still learning, but in the future some third option like that will be included. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2017 at 18:54
While most fans I know who are into Magma are also fans of VdGG, I know many who love VdGG who don't care much for Magma. Quite a few people don't like either band, as well.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2017 at 18:58
I like both bands a lot but voted for VDGG. It would seem that both are a bit of an acquired taste also so for that reason this is a very good matchup.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2017 at 19:07
I know many who think I am a psychopath when I put on some VdGG and Magma.

There's one dude, a long time ago, at a party who completely freaked out when he heard 'A Louse is not a Home'. The poor guy wasn't amused at all.

Edited by Barbu - August 09 2017 at 19:08
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2017 at 19:26
I remember reading once where a guy who had a female roomate who said that Magma(I think MDK in particular) was the worst music she ever heard. Lol. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2017 at 21:16
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Wow, this is getting to be a blowout here. Maybe I need to give VdGG another chance.. 

Also I realize now that I should have included a third option like, "I'm too passionate about both bands! I just.. I can't choose. I won't!" This is literally my first poll on here so I'm still learning, but in the future some third option like that will be included. 

I don't know what you have heard from this band, nor if my selection would work the same for you, buy my particular very favourite songs from this band are: "Darkness", "Man-Erg", "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" (first half for me, after that it gets a bit too messy for my taste), "The Sleepwalkers", and "La Rossa". You might add "Refugees", though it's a bit too poppy for a band like this, but just because of that it can be a rather good gateway song for someone having trouble digesting their music.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2017 at 21:39
I have to say here : when I first heard Crimso, it was their debut, then Lizard. I fell in love instantly. My first Magma dbl vinyl in 1989 was the Live album. I was too stoned to understand it then. To me, it was Satanic Jazz. It repulsed me. Fast forward 8 years of so, I picked up Udu Wudu and Attahk at a 1999 record fair. From then on, I was (sober and) hooked. Give it time. Similar story with VDGG, though I'm not advocating that you need to smoke dope to get into these guys - I'm (obviously) just a dumb-f**k that did it this way...... I'm sure there are many others......
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2017 at 19:18
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I don't know what you have heard from this band, nor if my selection would work the same for you, buy my particular very favourite songs from this band are: "Darkness", "Man-Erg", "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" (first half for me, after that it gets a bit too messy for my taste), "The Sleepwalkers", and "La Rossa". You might add "Refugees", though it's a bit too poppy for a band like this, but just because of that it can be a rather good gateway song for someone having trouble digesting their music.

Ok, I'll have to check out those songs. I was listening to H to He and liked the first two songs, but the lyrics seemed pretty dark idk. 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2017 at 19:21
Thank you all for your responses so far. Sounds like most Magma fans also like VdGG, but not necessarily the other way around. Which is odd because I'm really clicking with Magma a lot, but so far having trouble forming any real connection with VdGG. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2017 at 21:23

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Ok, I'll have to check out those songs. I was listening to H to He and liked the first two songs, but the lyrics seemed pretty dark idk. 

Actually, it seems you chose the album I liked the least from the first albums I got from them. And yeah, those songs you mention are the ones I liked better, but for me the ones I wrote before were better. Perhaps you should have started with "The Least we can do"... also the first two songs are the better ones, but so much better to get one into the band than those from H to He. As for the lyrics, I haven't payed so much attention to them, but indeed they seem to be somewhat dark... and very well thought... some of the better ones from prog, but indeed I should check them out and analize them better. However, I don't see why these dark lyrics should be a detriment for the music, it's not like he's trying to convince people to do atrocities and all. Crimson's first album has lyrics at least as dark as these ones (what darker lyrics could you want than "Epitaph"?). And the lyric for Killer are actually rather silly, talking about a shark wanting to have friends and every fish in the ocean trying to escape him.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>