Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat prog album are you ashamed to not like?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 09:15
Like others have already said.......none.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 11:06
Music is like art, we cannot all like the same picture.  We are all individuals and have certain tolerances..  I have to say I once hated Country and Rap.  But recently their music has really improved...  Heavy metal or prog metal is probably the only genre I cannot stand.  Too much noise for my ears I'm afraid !!Confused
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 12:17
I am certainly not ashamed to dislike anything, but I do share the puzzlement of many regarding VDGG, which I recognize as great stuff, but it just doesn't speak to me. 

I feel the same about Magma - I just can't get into them, but far be it from me to step on a Magma fan or feel guilty about not wishing to pursue extraterrestrial language.

Now guilty pleasures are another thing. I always like springing a dense work of proggery on an unsuspecting person who has never experienced totally bizarre music. Fripp and Eno's No Pussyfooting is one that I have used with great success trying to freak out mainstream metalheads. The uninitiated kind of get it but are unnerved by how otherworldly the whole affair sounds. 

And a lot of people think I should be ashamed of the dense, overblown, and pretentious music that attracts me.
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 19:12
How about high-rated albums you don't really like. 

I'm not really embarrassed about it, but I listened to Maudlin of the Well, Part the Second 2 times through waiting for it to grow on me...and there is no part of it I like. 

Also, I've never been embarrassed to like Dire Straits. Heard them on a King Biscuit show one night and they became one of my favorites.  Telegraph Road, Private Investigations, Romeo and Juliet, got me in, but I've gradually learned to like all their more popular stuff too. 
-John
ghost_of_morphy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 22:13
None.

People have tried to shame me into stopping hating on ELO's first, mega-crappy album though.

Edited by ghost_of_morphy - August 12 2017 at 22:14
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2017 at 23:24
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

None.
Thank you ....

NONE for me!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 06:09
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ O.K. Still phrased somewhat oddly ??
I'd say Dream Theater. I have 2 LP's of theirs - Scenes From A Dream and Octavarium. It ticks all the boxes for me, yet, I just can't get into 'em.

Ha. The same two I have. I really respect this band but can't quite yet really do more than that. Maybe something to do with a lot of technically great playing but a little lacking on memorable tunes. I could be wrong of course and just need to be steered right.

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 06:27
Ashamed to not like an album of music...

Seems weird to me but I suppose I should feel ashamed for not liking Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra. Almighty opening riff number then half an hour of bland violins. Padding?

Oh that's the prog part. Now for the rock part... actually nothing. Except...

once upon a time there was an anomaly. Genesis. Ashamed to like? Now this was an odd one. If I said how much I liked SEBTP, Nursery Cryme, Lamb etc then this was a pop cultural faux pas that showed how out of touch I was for not being into '80s pop. Speaking of which, if I like post Duke albums then I was some trendy '80s pop fan who really needed pop cultural direction. Foxtrot oscar the lot of them.

So while I wasn't ashamed of any Genesis I had to act like I was which was so stupid but I did not want to get into the arguments with idiots, er, I mean people. Not all the time anyway. Not everything Genesis did hit instantly btw, sometimes somethings had to take a while and I had to allow the old musical sense to reorient. Such is life, such is music.

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 06:29
Unless Pawn Hearts counts? Highly regarded and I tried my best but it did not take... I am so humiliated.

My music teacher at school was well into VDGG, PF and Zeppelin and others as well as the usual truckload of symphonies and concertos but VDGG still never worked for me. Sorry.

;)
Einwahn View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 07:17
Close to the Edge
Selling England by the Pound
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Am I really a prog fan?
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 16:04
Originally posted by Einwahn Einwahn wrote:

Close to the Edge
Selling England by the Pound
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Am I really a prog fan?

I'm sure you are. And I believe that you would come to love all three of those albums if you just give them another chance and listen all the way through(certainly Close to the Edge). The other two may be a bit of an acquired taste, although The Lamb shouldn't take much acquiring. Do what you want and I'm not trying to judge at all(we all like different things), just I honestly believe that anyone who gives Close to the Edge an honest chance will come to love it. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2017 at 16:09
Originally posted by Einwahn Einwahn wrote:

Close to the Edge

Am I really a prog fan?

hah...  another mother's basement type I see...

no...  there is a reason Yes is what it is.. and that album is what it is.  So no..  no progger card for you.  

Look on the bright side... you join the cool crowd. Proggers are whimps and pussies who dig absolute sh*t like VDGG ... just because it is sh*t...  

the cool crowd like good music..no matter what is called... prog or not... and isn't afraid to say that some prog is pure sh*t.  So get back to CttE and when it finally hits you.. come find me for the Cool Crowd card.  Then I'll put you onto some Willie Nelson....
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2017 at 16:54
Originally posted by The Son of Gorp The Son of Gorp wrote:

Can't say I'm ashamed for not liking certain things, but it's not very fun to just put "None." either Sleepy

Larks' Tongue In Aspic has never resonated with me. Maybe someday.

Anything by Gentle Giant. Just... not enjoyable.

H to He, Who Am The Only One is a notable dud as well.

Used to be GG and VDGG but now I LOVE all Shulman brothers & Co. albums. I now LOVE H to He, Who Am The Only One but have never been able to get into any of the other VDGG or Hammill "masterpieces."

Larks' Tongue was the first album that came to mind when I read the OP. I just don't hear or feel the "genius" here...
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
zwordser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2017 at 17:43
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

There are many of the much beloved albums that just don't do it for me, though I would never consider myself ashamed about not liking them. I just don't. However, not exactly ashamed, but "Tales from Topographic Oceans" sounds like an album that really is something else. More than just a rock album, something really special. Yet, I just can't get myself to love it. I do love Revealing Science of God, but the rest is just a bit too much for me. If I do put the album and listen to the whole of it I do enjoy it and all, but I wouldn't say I love it, even when I think it's really a special piece of art.

Ditto. Except "Ritual" is the track I like the most.

While Relayer has grown on me in leaps and bounds to become what I consider Yes's best, just haven't been able to get into the Tales much.

Z
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2017 at 23:47
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Well definitely on here it would be anything by Van der Graaf Generator. Still trying though. 
This for sure, I try and try but it just doesn't gel for me. But to be honest, I'm not really ashamed of not liking any music or any art at all. It's all just so...subjective...as all art should be, and maybe Aphrodite's Child, even though I really like Vangelis.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 09:39
I'm in the same boat as almost everyone when it comes to not being ashamed.

That aside, there's a couple of things of which I believe that I could somehow still much better figure out how good they are than I've managed to up to now. Pretty much the whole Henry Cow catalogue falls into that category.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 14:26
I guess Court of the Crimson King. I Love 21 century Schizoid Man but a lot of the rest of the album feels like it drags out for me. May be I need to be in the right frame of mind when I listen to it again.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 14:15
I don't do shame for my listening, nor should anybody no matter who says what you should be enjoying.  That goes for Prog snobs, AOR producers, music critics, etc.  If you don't like what you have been hearing, find something else.  Even if you like what you are hearing, never stop exploring - there is just too much good stuff out there.  And you don't have to like everything that comes your way.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Salmonyappi View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 14:50
I'm a bit stunned by the many times Pink Floyd is mentioned in prog-reviews, and as if this is a good thing!
Of course there are always songs or even albums that are enjoyable but in the whole I'm not a Pink Floyd fan.
Same for Rush. I'm a big progfan but I do not have one album of Rush......
Ashamed? Not really, but a blush on the cheeks to all the fans of the mentioned bands.......
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 17:29
2112, Side One, as it appears to have quite the following among P.A.-ers. It always came off as simply a finger exercise for Lifeson replete with some dull transitions here and there. Overshadowed fiercely by subsequent albums.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>