Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat prog album are you ashamed to not like?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 20:39
The albums that I DON'T LIKE but should... Crime of the Century and Magma's debut. Particularly Magma. I feel worthless when I listen to Magma and think "so what?"...

Albums that I wished I could like more would be Pawn Hearts, ItCotCK and Relayer. The two first are good, but that's it; the third is just meh...diocre to me.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 21:41
I'm probably not as big a fan of Tales from Toopographic Oceans as I should be. I like some of it a lot but there are parts that I feel just drag on a bit. I definitely see where RW was coming from in his criticism of it. The Remembering in particular just feels like a chore to get through. I like most of the rest though(even the ancient). 
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 00:31
the question is Confused its isn't making ????? so its NONE
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 04:33
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

I have nothing to be ashamed about (when it comes to prog).

This . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 07:56
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm probably not as big a fan of Tales from Toopographic Oceans as I should be. I like some of it a lot but there are parts that I feel just drag on a bit. I definitely see where RW was coming from in his criticism of it. The Remembering in particular just feels like a chore to get through. I like most of the rest though(even the ancient). 

Yea, I feel the same way about Topographic Oceans & I'm a big Yes fan. It has moments but overall I don't really enjoy it that much.

Edited by Argo2112 - August 17 2017 at 08:01
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2017 at 09:16
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Yea, I feel the same way about Topographic Oceans & I'm a big Yes fan. It has moments but overall I don't really enjoy it that much.

Here, here! The thing befuddled us all when it came out, and that remains to this day. Inspired only in places.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Mystic Mamba View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 14:59
Misplaced Childhood by Marillion. I don't "hate" it, I've just never understood why it's such a popular album. Sure, there are parts to it that I do enjoy, but it's far from being the best Marillion album, in my opinion.
ProfPanglos View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 16:19
No shame for me in music appreciation (or lack of appreciation).

The stuff I like is varied and select, from ABBA to MAGMA.

I don't tend to "love" or "hate" bands/musicians.  Even my favorites have flaws and duds.  I think Jethro Tull is one of the greatest progressive rock bands in the history of rock music - but only if I listen to their 1970-1977 releases.  If I listen to Tull's/Anderson's 1980-2017 music, they [by and large] suck ass.

I think Tangerine Dream's output from 1970-1987 is downright brilliant and adventurous.  After '87... they are [by and large] stale and boring.

But it's all perfectly subjective.  People can try to convince me all day long about how great Dream Theater is, I still just can't get on-board.  I can (and will) continue to try and bring my wife around to appreciating Vangelis, but I'm not holding my breath.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 16:41
Anglagard's Hybris. I thought it would become one of my favourite albums ever based on the way it is described but I can't get into it no matter how hard I try. That part around 1:10 into the first song makes me want to stab my ears. Fortunately the rest of the album is not that bad.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2017 at 19:31
^ très étrange.
aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 19:15
i never feel ashamed when I dont like music that others like. Im much more likely to feel ashamed for the opposite: liking music that no one else likes. Now a thread for that is something I could definately contribute to. :) Im famous for liking most the one track on the album that no one else likes. Invariably, this track gets buried on side two (old LPs) and is close to being the last song on the album.

Anthony Philips (ex genesis founder) recorded a song called "squirrel" which I am a little ashamed to admit I liked. Even prog fans panned it. That was the last time I remember feeling this sense of "why do I like stuff no one else likes?"

An example of the opposite: "Suppers Ready" by Genesis seems universally liked by Genesis fans, many of whom consider it to be a masterpiece of prog, but I was never a fan of it. I dont feel any shame for not liking it, though. Im very ironclad in my opinions when it works the other way around. Its no use arguing with me :)

aldri7 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 19:43
I forgot to mention though - when an album is hugely popular but doesnt resonate with me, I will sometimes give it repeated listenings in an attempt to like it more. I feel somehow that maybe I should, but I do this more out of curiosity than shame. Sometimes I will come around. Miles Davis fusion like Bitches Brew eventually caught on for me, as did early Weather Report. In the sixties and seventies, there were lots of guys that would sort of try and shame you for not liking agressively atonal and free jazz. I suppose if you really wanted to be accepted by these guys, you might feel some shame. This didnt happen to me though. But artists like Terje Rypdal, John Scofield and a lot of guys on the ECM label played pretty free form, and I ate it up. And if my friends didnt like it, Maybe I made them feel a bit shamed, I dont know :)
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2017 at 07:06
Close To The Edge.  I've tried, and it's OK.  But it's not as good as this website makes it out to be. 

IMHO of courseLOL
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2017 at 07:20
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

None.

indeed and ditto
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2017 at 07:33
Genesis - And Then There Were Three.

Not 'ashamed' as such...that's a bit strong.

I like about a third of it but some of the lyrics are dreadful especially The Ballad of Big. It was the beginning of the slippery slope...

Yes - Relayer. I just can't get into it for some reason. Maybe it's the production which I find a bit dry and Moraz's keyboards are a bit too busy for my liking.10 notes where 9 would do

Edited by Man Erg - October 20 2017 at 08:34

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
CaP View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2017 at 08:20
ELP and Gentel Giant
E per tutti il dolore degli altri è un dolore a metà
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2017 at 08:29
Originally posted by Luqueasaur Luqueasaur wrote:

The albums that I DON'T LIKE but should... Crime of the Century and Magma's debut. Particularly Magma. I feel worthless when I listen to Magma and think "so what?"...

Albums that I wished I could like more would be Pawn Hearts, ItCotCK and Relayer. The two first are good, but that's it; the third is just meh...diocre to me.

I know what you mean about certain albums not clicking. Relayer is one of those that took me years to sink in. I realized i just didn't have the tools necesary to understand its complexity. I can honestly say it probably took me 20 years to understand. When i was really young it was always praised for being so great and it all went over my head. Keep playing it every so often and focus intently. Now it's one of my favorite albums of all time.

Pawn Hearts was an instant classic in my world but ITCOTCK other than 21st Century Schizoid Man also took a while to incubate. Now i love that one too. That first Magma is my favoirte Magma!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2017 at 09:01
ach, if I don't like it I don't like it.  There is enough meanness in the world without prog shaming!

But I guess I wish I could like YES a bit more.  They are just sooooooo busy and "up".  In contrast, I am quite happy not liking Floyd all that much because they are too depressingly down all the time.  But I'm grateful for all their influence on bands I prefer  Tongue

Edited by kenethlevine - October 20 2017 at 09:01
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2017 at 09:05
Originally posted by CaP CaP wrote:

ELP and Gentel Giant
Well doesn't that narrow it down.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2017 at 09:11
Originally posted by aldri7 aldri7 wrote:

Anthony Philips (ex genesis founder) recorded a song called "squirrel" which I am a little ashamed to admit I liked. Even prog fans panned it. That was the last time I remember feeling this sense of "why do I like stuff no one else likes?"

Speaking of Ant Phillips, I'm somewhat reluctant to say that I favor his Um & Aargh off 1979's Sides. A light-hearted little ditty that wasn't exactly a show-stopper in its time. A stand-out though among the other mediocre songs on the album.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>