Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat does Porcupine Tree mean?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2017 at 21:46
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Thought this was interesting..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcupine_Tree

*snip* as well as a "colourful" history which purportedly included events such as a meeting at a 1970s rock festival and several trips in and out of prison.

*loses entire beer on keyboard*

FAIL!!!!!!  SWilson as the ex-con. Yeah right.    SWilson wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes in prison without some dude making him (and his pretty hair) his bitch and having him squeel like a pig  for the duration of his stay in the big house...  
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 04:56
Perhaps Roj (NEO contributor) should shed some light on this - when He and I were a lot younger - he used to sell S. Wilsons Karma tapes for him and was his contact for information I do believe. Roj & I stayed with Mr Wilson at his parents house in Hemel Hempsted - We went to the pub with him and his keyboard player - who I remember was into drinking beer and smoking roll-ups, S. Wilson drank coke. No mention of Porcupines or trees if I can recall - though Steve's favourite bands at that time were Floyd/Rush , don't think he liked Genesis and Yes as much as I did, and I think he had far more electronic and popular influences than I thought was healthy for an aspiring prog-god....
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 06:36
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

If it were 25 years ago, I'd say. " let's drop some acid and ponder this suggestion ". Who knows, it's just an attention grabbing, unique name that stands out from the crowd. Spock's Beard is another name in similar vein.

But Spock's Beard does have a reason to be. I just read it once, and am not a fan of the band, nor Neal Morse either, but as I remember there was something between the band members (perhaps the two Morse brothers?) about a chapter of Star Treck in which Mr Spock did have a beard. But it was something so uncommon that it ended up being like another way of saying something that is very unlikely. Or soemthing of the sort.

The name "Spock's Beard" has its origins in the Star Trek episode Mirror, Mirror

There is a Neal Morse interview out there somewhere that speaks to why they picked it as their band's name. 
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12